• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Halo 3 was my first taste of virtual photography via theater mode, but it wasn't until SS's photo mode that I really got into it. The ability to enable it at any time without having to leave the game was and still is so good. Funny enough though I wish more games had a theater mode like Halo or CoD so I could just play the damn game instead of pausing it constantly lol. Photo mode's are a blessing and a curse for me.
Please post more infamous SS photomode pics
35995647513_c964fe0a25_o.jpg

36805018285_08b8cee9c4_o.jpg

35995648783_80e943eb4b_o.jpg

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 was my first taste of virtual photography via theater mode, but it wasn't until SS's photo mode that I really got into it. The ability to enable it at any time without having to leave the game was and still is so good. Funny enough though I wish more games had a theater mode like Halo or CoD so I could just play the damn game instead of pausing it constantly lol. Photo mode's are a blessing and a curse for me.

35995647513_c964fe0a25_o.jpg

36805018285_08b8cee9c4_o.jpg

35995648783_80e943eb4b_o.jpg
oh, Oh, OH my goodness. That last picture is satisfying to look at, all three but especially the last one.

MgU0LnW.gif

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Op is 100% right! "Sucker Punch" is the first one that successfully implemented a proper photo-mode in it's wonderful game! It's basically a reason why i started taking screenshots in the first place. I took some of other games that came before it, such as pCars on PC, but Infamous SS is the game that got me hooked into screenshotting photos. Game's lighting sytem is great even by today's standards, and still looks pretty impressive.

That Delsin "chain" shot was taken by me, and got me some freebies as well. Here is few more i took of that game..btw, on OLED tv game looks orgasmic.

13512289495_a3d7d7906d_k.jpg

13682116284_3b31b98093_k.jpg

13943542275_65b4170b18_k.jpg

13917630646_c2131cd502_k.jpg

13943599393_64463bd155_k.jpg

13594569503_b87fa94f28_k.jpg

13917020662_cd88d792e7_k.jpg

13948807335_043a4fbd71_k.jpg

13916321124_bd1373a60f_k.jpg

13682113134_f58588b29a_k.jpg

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Agree with OP, it definitely popularised the photo mode. Spent quite some time in the photo mode myself, plenty of settings to adjust / play around with.

Am I confused or wasn't LoU a PS3 game and Second Son a PS4 game?
OG TLoU didn't have a photo mode. Only the PS4 remaster did iirc.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
They did and I appreciate them for it.

But here are some early experiments from the previous generation.

Halo 3
2281327829_446c11ba66_k.jpg

GT5
5209709521_4f46a92f90_h.jpg

Wipeout HD
5210344542_605b9cbdcf_b.jpg

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer
5209746685_839fab2e32_b.jpg

Forza 3
5210347414_e63e5857e8_b.jpg

Halo Reach
5209748209_2b76bad885_k.jpg

Gears of War 2
5209759423_f385bb516d_b.jpg

Motorstorm Pacific Rift
5209759665_e57ec5edf0_b.jpg

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
If you're saying that Halo 3 had a popular photo mode, I'd say you know plenty.

If you're saying that Halo 3 was more responsible for popularizing the idea of a photo mode than inFamous: Second Son, I'd say perhaps not so much.
The games are also 7 years apart and one was more iterative of a feature that had already been given mainstream focus, so I'd like to hear what makes Second Son stand out as being the catalyst for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Without second son I wouldn't be on my 8th photo contest. And it was all worth it. Wish for a remaster for PS5 even (replacing Troy's voice if possible)

amar212

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In racing games genre, it was SEGA GT 2002 before Gran Turismo, it was even sponsored by Canon company.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The games are also 7 years apart and one was more iterative of a feature that had already been given mainstream focus, so I'd like to hear what makes Second Son stand out as being the catalyst for it.

I couldn't put it better than VanWinkle did:

Dang, how can ya'll possibly disagree with this?

Here's the simple truth: People were not asking for photo mode in third-person action/adventure games before Infamous Second Son got the photo mode update. Sure, a few games had a form of photo mode in the decade before that. After Infamous Second Son, many people were asking for it in all their third-person action/adventure games.

OP said Sucker Punch popularized photo mode with Infamous. This is not debatable. Photo mode as we now know it in many many third-person action/adventure games did not exist before Infamous Second Son.

Here's a Google Trends search for the term "photo mode":

photomodeicjof.png

The point I have highlighted is April 2014, when Second Son received the Photo Mode update.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The photo mode in Trials Rising allows you to move the camera absolutely everywhere, so you can see how the levels were constructed and find discarded elements. One track has a room floating high up in the sky, and I always wondered what it was for.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 4's photo mode was hugely popular. I remember pages upon pages of photos being posted online.
Don't try to sell it short just to fit the narrative you have constructed.

If you want to know why it's become a common feature now: it's the share button, combined with developers realizing the free marketing potential, and the ease of posting directly to social media.
I think the images in this thread might be the first time I've even seen anything from Infamous' photo mode.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe on Infamous they went all out on that feature as most games would usually be a tacked on afterthought feature most of the time

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 likely popularised photomode due to having the share button right there.

But - I do slightly miss old photomodes where they'd render out at higher resolution, or 'develop' the image to be higher quality with better lighting and detail. These days you get lots of new filters and controls, but after that you're still mostly just capturing the screen. Eg when GT7 comes out with ray tracing, assuming its lower quality in realtime/replays, I'd like it to spend a second or two and give me full quality reflections for photomode.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
on console GT4's photo mode was indeed the first big one and it wasnt really niche or anything, i remember browsing endless threads of people sharing their pics and even spending hours myself on taking them and saving them out to a usb stick IIRC.
but yes it definitely took the xb1/ps4 gen for it to truly break out thanks to having an inbuilt screenshot function. From there there was no stopping. (Also shoutout to NFS: Hot pursuit 2010 for integrating a screenshot button through the autolog system even on consoles).

On PC, while games may not have had specific photo modes until around the time consoles got it, print screening cool moments and uploading them was a thing for a veeery long time.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
PS4 likely popularised photomode due to having the share button right there.

But - I do slightly miss old photomodes where they'd render out at higher resolution, or 'develop' the image to be higher quality with better lighting and detail. These days you get lots of new filters and controls, but after that you're still mostly just capturing the screen. Eg when GT7 comes out with ray tracing, assuming its lower quality in realtime/replays, I'd like it to spend a second or two and give me full quality reflections for photomode.
I do wonder if in the renaming of the 'share' button to 'create' instead that kind of functionality will be included as an option along with ability to render out pristine video too, which is something I think would be necessary for something like Dreams.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Yep, very true. After Second Son pretty many other games followed suit in including a photo mode. Were they the first ones to do it? No, but they undoubtedly had the biggest hand in getting people into popularising the mode

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Halo 3 was the one OP.
I still remember doing so many stylish screenshots in replays where you could real time move the camera around and freeze the game whenever you want. And then upload the screenshots directly to the Bungie website.
That was one of the true first real photo modes in the way that we know them today. (+Gran Turismo)

Here is my original gallery from 2007!

Bungie.net

ImpKs5Q.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Project Gotham Racing 3 was the first one I remember. I didn't play GT4 or Smash Bros.

Infamous does feel like it was the first one in the share button world and did provide a template for other games to follow. However Halo 3's theatre mode shouldn't be understated. That feature was pretty incredible and carried into ODST and Reach.

People were pretty annoyed when Halo 4 didn't have theatre mode for campaign.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah Photo Mode is awesome and it feels like every game needs it now lol. Death Stranding initially didn't have Photo Mode and it really annoyed me cause the game was so damn gorgeous lol.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think people are missing the "popularised" in the title. I know that photomodes existed before SS but the number of photomodes in games increased quite dramatically after that.
I get what OP is saying, but I don't think it was necessarily Second Son on its own that polarized it. I think it was the fact that Second Son was the first PS4 game that had it mixed with the fact that the PS4 was really the first console to embrace social network and easy picture sharing.
It's the combo, isnt't it. Photo mode - share button - social media. That's when the potential for one of the best marketing tools out there was realised and snowballed.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
My vote goes to Halo 3. It really popularized it and it was MASSIVE.
A lot of people used it and shared their galleries on Bungie.net

But I'm sure a few games did it before Halo 3.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Infamous, why didn't they ever remaster the first two games? Loved them and can't really play them because of no BC. If any of the devs are reading this, please consider.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
I feel embarrassed for OP.
So many games had photo mode before Infamous. Racing games since... forever and I would say something like Halo 3 brought it to the masses.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Never saw one user screenshots of any of the racing games mentioned in my life, yet after infamous second I started seeing them everywhere. It definitely popularized them.

Popularizing something and being the first one to come up with it are of course different things and a lot of people missed that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This is way off
It's easy to forget those who came before because the current generation put this feature into so many games.

There were plenty of games with photo modes before infamous lol.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Infamous Second Son is like the most forgettable PS4 exclusive of all time, so I don't really see how this is true. I've never even seen a screenshot of the damn game, just the CG announcement trailer.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo was well know for it's photomode, it was actually the cause of a lot of console wars discussions with people calling them(and the replays) bullshots.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Dang, how can ya'll possibly disagree with this?

Here's the simple truth: People were not asking for photo mode in third-person action/adventure games before Infamous Second Son got the photo mode update. Sure, a few games had a form of photo mode in the decade before that. After Infamous Second Son, many people were asking for it in all their third-person action/adventure games.

OP said Sucker Punch popularized photo mode with Infamous. This is not debatable. Photo mode as we now know it in many many third-person action/adventure games did not exist before Infamous Second Son.

You're in a bubble. Call it "inFamous revolutionised photo mode" or made it work in a third person action game or something. But GT4 is a game played by 11 million people that had a robust and heavily marketed photo mode that was a huge deal to many people. And there are dozens of other games that followed its influence BEFORE Second Son.

This was a later update to a game that wasn't even THAT popular to begin with, that most people had already finished playing for good by the time said update was released. Reality check.

Gaming media and forum users really like to pretend racing games aren't REAL games or something lmao.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
How can anyone debate this? Infamous Second Son popularised the photomode in third person action adventure games made by Sony first parties that released on PS4. Nobody cares about niche games like *checks notes* Gran Turismo 4 and Halo 3. The simple and undeniable fact is that before this, nobody had even heard of photos.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Didn't Skate have ridiculous photo and camera recording options? Also racing games and wipeout.

I don't think I ever saw a single Second Son screen shared, but I could have mistaken screens for one of the dozens of white bald guys in macho games around then.

Having the best photo mode on the launch of console with a dedicated screenshot button counts for something.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
OP isn't saying that inFAMOUS invented photo modes, but the game definitely popularized it. Many games that came after it included photo modes that were very similar to the one in Second Son, there's no need to get upset over such a dumb thing.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
GT4, Uncharted 2, Halo 3, Forza from 2 on IIRC, WipEout HD.... photomodes were huge way before InFamous SS.

EDIT:
OP isn't saying that inFAMOUS invented photo modes, but the game definitely popularized it. Many games that came after it included photo modes that were very similar to the one in Second Son, there's no need to get upset over such a dumb thing.
It's not true though.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Skate have ridiculous photo and camera recording options? Also racing games and wipeout.

I don't think I ever saw a single Second Son screen shared, but I could have mistaken screens for one of the dozens of white bald guys in macho games around then.

Having the best photo mode on a console with a dedicated screenshot button counts for something.

Yeah they basically had the screenshot and video share button before it was on the consoles as a system wide feature, so good