• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
ps2_metal_arms_glitch_in_the_system-110214.jpg

41N19gzuhTL.jpg

xbox_wreckless_yakuza_missions-110214.jpg

220px-RADcover.jpg

220px-Threads_of_Fate_Coverart.png

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought The Beginner's Guide was brilliant but I also could relate to the story and themes in that game maybe more than some others.

I feel like Jagged Alliance 1/2 aren't talked about enough as far as great games from the past.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
It's a cop-story or rather an Ex-cop story, it opens like a thriller, your former cop partner (the good cop, I assume) betrayed you over unknown circumstances a couple of years ago and shortly vanished. Now you're retired as a cop and live your life as a door-to-door salesman, Kyle Hyde is the name to be clear, and the next stop is Hotel Dusk which is found by the county road on somewhere in Nevada. As you might suspect what happened back then when Kyle was in the force was too personal to let go and in reality his whereabouts is a cover for picking up clues as to where his former friend Bradley went, but as it turns out there's more than meets the eye to this rundown Motel, and some people there have peculiar connections that seem all too relevant; all to coincidental to the ghost which Kyle's chasing. In a hotel where rooms have titles, Kyle gets room 215, aka "Wish" and not long after settling in, it becomes clear to Kyle that there's something of a mystery to the Hotel and its vacants, which might just give him the answers he's been longing for.

I describe this like the synopsis to a book because that is literally what this is--
350px-NTR_Hotel_Dusk_215_ss02.png

You hold the DS on the side when you play it, and the game is built to a T around this playstyle, from solving puzzles, investigating the nooks and crannys of the hotel and NPCs talking in response to Kyle's snoopy looks of the top screen on the bottom-screen. The game even utilizes the Nintendo DS hardware in ways you never would've anticipated, sometimes even seemingly does things with the hardware you wouldn't think would be possible. In reality, it's the storytelling that's the true draw of the game with some of the most believable characters both in motivations and background but even just the way they talk to each other. It was fortunate to be handled by a true Japanese novelist Rika Suzuki and translated by some of the best NoA employees available at the time. Unfortunately the tale of the game's success or lack thereof is indirectly related to the fact that its developer went bankrupt 2-3 years later after its sequel Last Window: The Secret of Cape west released.

Ghost Trick
Shu Takumi's second masterpiece. The man created Ace Attorney and directed, wrote and planned all the first three games from Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney, to Trials & Tribulations. This, a new concept of gameplay, feels like the collective experience and talent he had built up over the course of those 3 games served as a new IP and seemingly created in a state of creative bliss. The game scored excellently even for sites like IGN yet either due to its namesake, release-timing or unrecognizable gameplay style the game simply didn't appeal to enough people and in fact, it tanked so bad I've heard Capcom internally labeled Shu Takumi as the "failure of the year" among leads or something crazy like that.

Trace Memory
I get chills when I think of this game.

Some might be in the know. (Not a twist, not horror, but the unfortunate horrors of real (fictional) life in the Post-WW2 lives of the late 1940s)
Trace Memory AKA Another Code is an adventure game that IIRC lauched alongside the DS, with point-&-click controls, pixel hunting and a good deal of dialogue exchanges and while plotting has flaws the writing is generally just as great as it is in the spiritual successor of this CING-adventure: Hotel Dusk.

Transformers: Autobots/Decepticons DS.
This is a special one actually. It's fully voice-acted, Keith David as the police-car-guy who is your mentor. An Original story, GTA-style missions & free-roaming, player-avatar, steal-scan cars. It's a little... flat in terms of game-design but I spent HOURS in it, and it brought the Michael Bay awesomeness of 2007 almost fully realized to a little DS.

Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen
The mechanics are just... mmmh! The mission design and story-campaign lets it down, but the gameplay loop itself is actually not too bad.

We have similar taste :) I can also recommend the sequel to Hotel Dusk, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West.

Other than that, I recommend Snatcher for Sega CD. Played it for the first time a couple of months ago and it definitely aged well.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Slay The Spire is FTL meets Dominion (deckbuilder card game), and is way better than Hearthstone's Dungeon Run. I've owned the game for less than a week but have 54 hours of play time. Still in Early Access, but incredibly polished.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason.
kphUD02.jpg

Launched with a mess of technical bugs, that now can be easily brute forced thankfully.
Bit of an odd-duck horror FPS thing. But it's absolutely chock full of very inventive scenario design. Really worth a look.

Necrovision
XmWDVvf.jpg

Frantic shooter with a thin WWI veneer.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
I suppose it got more popularity since Automata released but I'm still going to say Nier: Gestalt.
Divinity Original Sin 2 is a master piece and easily top 3 of best cRPGs of all time. The mainstream needs to play it.
This is also true, throw in the first one too.

My most obscure game I gotta prop up was the ps2 game Reign of Fire. Those human missions were a 10/10 where you would be in an armoured convoy and a bunch of dragons come down on you was the best.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Counterfeit Monkey
A text adventure game made in 2012 that is so good, it got a 9.4/10 from Gametrailers of all places. Its incredibly simple core idea of a text adventure game about manipulating text drew me in, but the stunning worldbuilding and great writing made me stay. Easily one of the best written games out there that takes advantage of its genre in a way that wouldn't work anywhere else.

you made my day.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I tried my damnest to enjoy this game, but i just couldnt....I think they just took the whole "super vague story" way too far...like, that works when you have a general idea of who you are and what you're doing.

Not when the entire world is completely foreign and you're on a non-linear quest.

The game itself was excellent though

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Doom 64. Despite being in the Doom series most people overlook it despite it being the last true classic Doom title, well worth a look on PC with the EX version.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

This is from the same developer as Iconoclasts and it's one of the most original action games I've ever seen. All of its mechanics are based on mouse and keyboard controls.

Jan 15, 2018
Despite all the positive press, I feel like not many people have actually played Kentucky Route Zero, fingers crossed the console release gets it some more recognition. The game is bizarre and captivating in ways games rarely are. I'd recommend it to everyone, but especially to fans of David Lynch.

I also highly recommend The Norwood Suite for many of the same reasons, and it's even less popular than KRZ.

Last edited:

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh

Devil Daggers is an awesome, cheap FPS bullet hell game. It's something I absolutely recommend buying and just playing over the weekend. It's hard for me to put it down once I start playing. "Just one more run..."

Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force III. It's sort of infamous, but people tend to talk about it because of how hard it is to get and play these days, and how only 1/3 (or 1/4 if you're anal) of the game came to the west.

But both of those problems are gone today. It's super simple to emulate SFIII - sega saturn emulators could run it on my laptop 15 years ago at full speed, and the entire thing is translated these days. And on top of that, the game is outstanding, one of the best SRPGs ever from the golden era of SRPGs. Plus, it's ambitous as hell. It's 3 full games combined to tell one overarching plot. You keep playing the same scenario but from different vantage points in each game, and slowly, as you see everybody's perspective, you come to understand the full scope of the plot, which climaxes in the super rare (but also emulatable and translated) premium disk, which features the true final boss.

It's a shame Shining Force III isn't held up as one of the very best RPGs ever made. It deserves it. Even on the saturn, it's often overlooked for stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga (which is also awesome).
As someone who is interested in the series but never gave it a decent shot, would it be worth playing 1&2+CD first or can I skip straight to 3?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta.

An amazing hunter RPG set in an extremely well realized dark-fantasy-meets-fairytales world that emotionally wrecks you by the end of the prologue. Seriously the best lore I've perhaps ever seen in a game.

And it's composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. For the uninitiated, dude's worked on a few small projects like composing Chrono Trigger.

Why is it not known?

Because it's a Vita exclusive. About the only first party one left except Killzone and Uncharted GA, I reckon.

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I nominate Shadow Warrior 2

I bought it in July last year and played nothing else for three days while my girlfriend was on vacation with her parents. It was just so awesome, the protagonist is some really funny asshole and the gameplay is superb. The gory gameplay is awesome too. I recommend to play it on hard, for that special kick. One of my GOATs.

One of my favorite teasers of all time:

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Alpha Protocol and Death to Spies, two criminally underrated stealth games. People were, understandably, put-off by the wonky controls but both games have some great stuff going on.

Alpha Protocol, in particular, is an absolute gem of a game! I really wish Sega someday decide to revive the IP.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Absolutely Rain World. It's one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. It has a ton of controversial design decisions, but everything comes together to create a work that is unmatched in all of gaming in terms of atmosphere, rawness, and thematic depth. Just such a freaking stellar game.

esIrmKC.jpg

To quote myself from another thread (spoilers, but y'all weren't going to play it anyway, plus there's still a ton of amazing things to discover besides what I describe here):

One of my single-player highlights of this gen is the entire sequence starting from the incredible Memory Crypts (with its clanking bird-metal abominations and the soft-glowing green lightning echoing through the clouds) through The Leg and The Underhang (air thundering with static electricity, the path filled with Big Daddy Longlegs -- a lonely journey; the most hostile environment you can imagine; the literal and metaphorical peak of your quest), into the Memory Conflux (with its zero-g environments, hinting at the world's true nature), through Unfortunate Development (the most horrendous interpretation of "overgrowth" that gaming has ever seen; raw, dangerous, extremely thrilling), and then finally, in General Systems Bus, we pass through a living organic computer, its calculations performed on live cells, its thoughts raw physical structures, superimposed on our environment in a spell-binding and utterly engrossing spectacle... We are an alien in an alien world.

And then we meet Five Pebbles, and everything is turned on its head.

It's the most audacious twist I've ever seen. What starts out as a nature simulation is revealed to be a veritable buddhist science fiction epic. The struggle for survival becomes the struggle against existence.

It's a kind of ambition that I've rarely encountered anywhere; and the journey there is haunting, harrowing, rough and raw, filled with incredible emergent moments and memories. Myriads of games try to guide the player through a lonely quest into the unknown. In my opinion, Rain World is the one that best succeeds.

I also want to highlight Porpentine's text adventure games: http://slimedaughter.com/games/
They're wonderful and seriously unique short marvels of writing, style, and ideas. She takes themes and concepts that no one else dares touch and mixes them in wondrous ways. Highly recommended.

Despite all the positive press, I feel like not many people have actually played Kentucky Route Zero, fingers crossed the console release gets it some more recognition. The game is bizarre and captivating in ways games rarely are. I'd recommend it to everyone, but especially to fans of David Lynch.

I also highly recommend The Norwood Suite for many of the same reasons, and it's even less popular than KRZ.

Oh.

Oh.

Sounds like I should play The Norwood Suite!

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Transformers War and fall of cyber

great third person shooters with tight and fluid controls, cool artstyle, voice acting, sound effects.

Amazing multiplayer too

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Rymdkapsel_screenshot_3.png

Rymdkapsel (iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, ... Vita lol)

Extremely chill and very much replayable imho.
Like Dungeon Keeper meets The Settlers meets ... Tetris, i guess?
You assign roles to your tiny minions - like collecting various resources, while continuously more difficult waves of enemies attack your abstract "space platform settlement city".

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Alien Isolation is still pretty underrated/not popular.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
Gladius was great fun.

Super Time Force is fantastic. I imagine people who shat on it did not give it enough effort to understand the mechanics.

Beelzebud

Nov 29, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Gladius was great fun.

I loved Gladius so much back in the day. I had it on Xbox and PS2 for some reason. Had a lot of fun playing co-op and using cheats to let my wolves use weapons and armor. Still makes me laugh when I remember my wolf with a giant shield on its back.

I also really liked this original Xbox exclusive game named Breakdown. It had a really awkward first-person hand-to-hand combat system, but I still found it satisfying. The story was pretty neat too. I feel like the game was really ahead of its time in terms of immersive first-person storytelling. Only real problem was the awful platforming segments that went on for way too long.