• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Headland talked about Star Wars and her upcoming show with YouTuber Fantastic Frankey.

When asked what her favorite dream project was, Headland was rather clear it's the upcoming Star Wars project.

She stated, "I see this as a massive challenge to take on and a very serious one and I have an immense amount of respect for the world George built. But also canon… In legends and canon. There is a lot of stuff there. Not to take any of that lightly and like, 'Hey! I'm gonna bring my thing into that.' I think that would be a mistake. It feels like I'm joining almost a religion."

She went on, "I mean it's funny, I was using that as an analogy. With the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm…with that acquisition it was kind of where the Catholic Church was in 1400."

Headland stated, "You've got Rian Johnson as Martin Luther posting stuff to the front of the church and everyone's like 'NO!' and the other half is like 'Yes!'"

She went on, "You can't enter this world without having a very strong point of view, but also having an enormous amount of reverence as if you were stepping into a cathedral. If you were stepping into Notre Dame. You have to have an enormous amount of imagination. You have to have your own point of view. You have to know what these ethos mean to you."

Later in the interview, Headland would also discuss her passion for Star Wars, "Listen, I was already a big fan. Of course growing up I was a huge fan, but I would say with the advent of YouTube that was really when I started getting more into Star Wars again."

She continued, "Because I was in my early 20s during the prequels, I went to see them all opening night because I needed to know what happened. But I would say I didn't really immerse myself as much as when the original trilogy was touching me as a kid. Because then I was reading Heir to the Empire and Timothy Zahn books. I was kind of getting into it a little bit more as a teenager."

"I kind of put it down. As the prequels. I just didn't feel like I was the audience for the prequels except that I was a Star Wars fan… But it was really in the advent of YouTube that I started to get reinvested in Star Wars again," Headland went on.

Article

Burn it all down if old

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are way too into Star Wars, so I can see where she's coming from.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What's there to discuss?
Seems like an article to generate internet outrage.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Some people, including most of ERA, take Star Wars way too fucking seriously. Like chill it's dumb entertainment

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The Jedis are a called a religion, so it is about religious reformation, but I don't see any real clear parallels to the Protestant reformation. No more so than other religious reformation movements, anyway.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, what she said is super tame... she compared just one thing about star wars, Ryan Johnson having his own strong opinion of star wars to Lutherism beginning with Luther having very strong feelings about what Catholicism should be about. That's it. There's nothing more to the comparison.

There is absolute zero of the actually interesting things you could talk about in comparing Star Wars with religious mythos or even the other way around, comparing catholicism with star wars mythos and fanhood. There is zero of that. Which i suspect is the impression the thread is trying to create.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That religion comparison is not entirely left field. Fans treat this shit like the apex of human creativity.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
considering how meh the original trilogy was, that is sad
'
BLASPHEMER!

HandyDimpledAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Achlotter

Apr 30, 2019
I literally thought about this exact thing last week. Star Wars has gone beyond simple entertainment for a lot of fans, especially for those who actively participate in online discussion around it. I've met a lot of people IRL who talk about it the same way I've heard evangelicals or other religious people talk about religion. It's not that far-fetched of a comparison.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
People might get that impression at first, but looking back...I don't think the movie was different enough, structurally speaking, to really break the mold.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
...why is this thread presenting a perfectly fine analogy as something to be outraged by? lol

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that the catholic church did quite a bit of bad stuff but comparing it to the new trilogy seems still uncalled for.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Many of y'all clearly not reading what she said. She isn't calling Star Wars a religion. She's making an apt comparison about a division in the fan base.

May 19, 2020
Star Wars is the greatest marketing success of all time because commercials basically fooled people into thinking that a mediocre space movie that was only saved in editing is actually god's gift to man.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it might actually be the perfect analogy. no one older than 13 really cares about it any more, but on christmas we have to placate our mothers into thinking we do.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
That's not too far off what certain people on this site think of the film, that's for sure.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The jedi order is an actual 501(c)3 religious organization, so this analogy has legs.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I honestly have a almost purist view of the original trilogy with ESB being my favourite movie and I am still a fan but do not treat it as a religion.

I liked the original trilogy and was 14 when Phantom Menace came out in 99 and hated it and while I liked certain parts in the prequels they never inspired the joy for me as the original trilogy did.

I did however love the knights of the old republic and several of the video games, and enjoyed the books especially the Thrawn trilogy but the sequel trilogy was just meh for me.

However I got into clone wars and rebels and watched all episodes of both those shows which I really enjoyed.

But honestly for me the only time I had that childlike joy watching star wars since the original trilogy has had to be from the mandalorian, which in my opinion just works and especially the format that Filoni and Faveroux laid out.

I love the adventure of the week routine and do not mind that the main plot is spread out it makes those cool moments more special such as the last episode.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all acting like this statement is so out there as if there aren't people on this very forum that treat The Last Jedi and Rian Johnson to the religion equivalent to heresy and a heretic.