• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
it had a pretty dynamic cast, especially Jones, McKinnon and yes Hemsworth for me, I actually enjoy the riff stuff as I like random humour personally. I thought the visuals were solid, some might not liek the brightness and such but I I enjoyed the neon and a lot of it made me feel like I was watching a reboot of the cartoon, which I grew up on and loved, I enjoyed getting to watch women be the ones to come up with the tech and every tech geek scene McKinnon got I thought she shined. On a personal evel the viallin being an MRAesque asshat was cathartic and I thought the final battle while overblown at times had another great standout moment with McKinnon that also used the remixed modernized Gb theme effectively.

Is it an amazing iconic comedy no, did I have a fun yes.

You and I watched the same movie lol. I would describe my theater going experience to see this as "fun"

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You and I watched the same movie lol. I would describe my theater going experience to see this as "fun"

I think part of it is I really don;t give a shit about reboots or whatever. Like whatever. I just had fun, I'm not calling ot the bets movie ever or even anything above average to good, I enjoyed it far more than most average to good films but yeah.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The problem with Ghostbusters 2016 was that it sucked. Nobody wanted a sequel because, again, it sucked. This thing could suck too and we'll see another reboot by 2025, who knows? In any event, her outrage is totally misplaced and entitled.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
They definitely deserved better. I can understand where she is coming from though, but saying that the movie failed because it wasn't men isn't the reason why it bombed. It played a factor sure, but that movie was really bad. Low tier comedy and bad writing. The whole situation around that movie just sucked.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
"fun" is what movies go for because it surpasses quality. Like, Pokemon: The First Movie is a fun movie when you're a child who loves Pokemon but it's not a well made movie. Just because you find something fun doesn't make it good. People should learn to understand that when it comes to various pieces.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why Sony looked at Ghostbusters and thought "there is our next summer blockbuster." Especially when they kept all the trappings of the original film ie bulky and heavy equipment used by out of shape people.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes -- sorry what are you trying to imply? Ocean's 8 cost less than GB 2016 and made more. This further proves GB 2016 was a failure financially and would be a risky sequel play.

Mostly that the movie failed because the studio were morons and paid too much to make it, not that it's actual intake relative to the kind of film it is itself is bad.

Which is why it bombed at the box office doesn;t really work for me as a criticism in itself... because the budget was so abnormally large for the kind of film it was.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
"fun" is what movies go for because it surpasses quality. Like, Pokemon: The First Movie is a fun movie when you're a child who loves Pokemon but it's not a well made movie. Just because you find something fun doesn't make it good. People should learn to understand that when it comes to various pieces.
I thought John Carter was fun, and that film was still pretty bad.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Leslie, the Ghostbusters being woman was the least of the films problem. It was an overall mess as it was. I do still stand by the fact that it could've been a decent movie if directed by someone else entirely that didn't pump it to the brim with absolutely everything he could. But reboot (unboot?) that garbage that we did get and have a decent crew make a new one.

No, but neither were the original films.
QuarterlyPleasedBushbaby-max-1mb.gif

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...Ghostbuster 2016 was a bad movie and bombed. So like...why would you expect anyway to try to continue that?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Lol you didn't actually want to hear why people liked it did you.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The 2016 Ghostbusters wasn't great but perfectly fine and it made 220 million dollars at the box office worldwide, that's good for a comedy. If it wasn't for the insane budget it would have been considered a success.

Ghostbusters 2016 lost a lot of money. Depending on marketing, a tentpole needs to make 2x - 3x it's production budget just to break even.

Even if you could make that movie for the same price as Venom ($90m which is considered cheap) it would still lose money at $220m gross.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I watched it in theaters in July of 2016. My GF and I had a night of it. There were belly laughs. I left the theater entertained. I had fun. It wasn't a "fun" movie, I'm more describing the experience. Mission success to me personally.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
GB2016 was only just okay.

But it was not allowed to be only just okay given its budget and the expectations of the audience, at least not this time. The same audience that two years later, still seems pretty easily triggered into Loud Noises and a lot of "Shut up, Leslie" after having gotten a second middling at best ensemble comedy with the name "Ghostbusters" on it.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the reboot sucked, and was a huge fan of the originals as a kid. I'm looking forward to them taking another kick at this with a proper sequel.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think part of it is I really don;t give a shit about reboots or whatever. Like whatever. I just had fun, I'm not calling ot the bets movie ever or even anything above average to good, I enjoyed it far more than most average to good films but yeah.
I don't think it was as good as Sony wanted it to be, or the actors, or hardcore Ghostbusters fans. For the general audience? It was fine.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The version she was in wasn't a good movie and her character sucked (maybe this is more on the writers than on her, and maybe you could talk about how male chatacters are better written than female characters). This is a movie being done by the son of the original director, I'd say that if anyone has the right to try his hands on the franchise it's him

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The sad thing about that movie was that Hemsworth was the best part, and I love all the leading actresses.The movie was not good and was such a waste of a talented cast.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Jones' character was OK.

But I certainly wouldn't mind if they found a way to bring back Holtzmann

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ didn't love the movie. Or at this point even remember it, but I️ don't like that I️ have to share that opinion with people who hated it the moment it was announced simply cuz they're full of hate

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The harassment she received was deplorable- but again the point is that not everyone who dislike the reboot is a mysoginist or a racist. Her saying "It's like we don't even matter." and invoking Trump is trying to conflate two separate issues. One being there are racist assholes who harassed her - the other that people didn't like the movie for a variety of reasons.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point.
She feels like its a step back. Like they are being written out of history. And that the studio thought that it being an all female cast was to blame. It certainly looks that way to me, so soon after.

Honestly what presence does Ghostbusters have in popular culture. The franchise was fucking dead on all fronts. There is more of a Rick and Morty fanbase than for Ghostbusters.

Feb 3, 2018
I do understand her reaction somewhat considering all the shit she got, but attacking Reitman and the cast and crew working on the new movie is not the way to go since Reitman has never said a bad word about the last Ghostbusters movie.

She also said its gonna be an all male cast when the rumor heavily suggests it will be a cast of teenagers girls and boys she is guessing at this point.

Also invoking Trump just seems weird to me we need a goodwins law for invoking Trump when it's not really relevant.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Lol you didn't actually want to hear why people liked it did you.
I read your bit as to why you liked it. It didn't provide any insight as to why the writing, action, plot, etc is particularly good or average. You just said you liked those parts and ended with it being fun for you. That's not examining why it's good or bad, that's just you saying, "I didn't mind it cause it's fun". Show me examples of good writing or cinematography or whatever. Explain why it is. Not just that you like it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Let's face it the cast, and especially Leslie Jones, were left to hang out to dry by the studio when the film came out - long before actually. Regardless of people's thoughts on the films merits I think she has the right to be aggravated when it happens again and they don't warrant any kind of mention and are basically brushed under the carpet by a studio that did f'all to stand by the creative team through some horrific sexist and racist attacks by idiots.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I see GB 2016 is still a boiling point for a lot of people lol.

The problem with GB 2016 is that it's at best very mediocre but because having an all woman cast to a cherished franchise is super important for representation many people will overlook it's flaws in order to defend the need for representation. Then you also had a really shit group of people who would never give this film a shot because 'feminism' and harassed the cast endlessly.

It's unfortunate since the cast was right but Paul Feig's style of humor doesn't work for big blockbusters with a bunch of special effects.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is a well-made movie though.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see The Ghostbusters with the female cast. Was it good?

Nope, god awful. Shitty dialogue, bad acting. I felt sorry for the four women at first because I thought it was bad writing but then I read a lot of it was improvised and that makes the bad dialogue even worse.

It was so bad, a pretty meh performance by Hemsworth was hyped up as something spectacular.

As for Jones, this isn't a good look for her. Your movie sucked, deal with it.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
The amount of hate the remake gets is unreal....yes it was a bad movie and it should not be continued...but people definitely took the hate too far, people like to overact to anything I guess.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ROFL what an overreaction dear lord. Like honestly, what did she expect, a sequel??

Maybe she is in character:
giphy.gif

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
As for Jones, this isn't a good look for her. Your movie sucked, deal with it.

Again reminder she suffer serious and significant harassment that was brutal and ugly that actually managed to get a noted and popular white supremacist banned permanently from twitter, a ban that actually suck.

That horrific experience largely influences why she feels the way she feels today, so saying get over it is pretty shitty.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again reminder she suffer serious and significant harassment that was brutal and ugly that actually managed to get a noted and popular white supremacist banned permanently from twitter, a ban that actually suck.

That horrific experience largely influences why she feels the way she feels today, so saying get over it is pretty shitty.

Which while awful, doesn't change the fact the movie sucked.

The ladies are good comedians when there's proper writing and direction.

"Just be funny!" is not that.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, we know. And the movie still sucked. And her response is still shitty. Not only is it misinformed, it doesn't make sense. Why would Hollywood make anything that is related to that movie? Of course they're going to go in a different direction. They probably want to make money.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I thought GB2016 was decent. It was about as good as I could expect an SNL movie could be in 2016. I thought Kate McKinnon was the highlight of the film, her character was the best and could honestly make a great addition to the new film in the absence of Harold Ramis. Leslie Jones definitely got the shit end of the stick because she had to deal with the most hate and I can understand her frustration, but it also doesn't make sense to give them a sequel considering the mediocre numbers the reboot brought in.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I read your bit as to why you liked it. It didn't provide any insight as to why the writing, action, plot, etc is particularly good or average. You just said you liked those parts and ended with it being fun for you. That's not examining why it's good or bad, that's just you saying, "I didn't mind it cause it's fun". Show me examples of good writing or cinematography or whatever. Explain why it is. Not just that you like it.

I covered visuals, cast chemistry and action in my paragrpah.

I'm not writing you an essay for free because you need a very specific criteria before you can accept that some people actually thought the movie was good.