• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
A release date of 17 January has been announced. https://lennasinception.com/releasing-17th-of-january/

The Kingdom of ▜̴͈̔▕̴͜͝▯̴̳̈́░̷̪͗▚̷̪̆▒̸̣̓ is glitching. The evil Chairman of the Banker's Guild has captured the Prince, opening the way for destruction at the hands of the Archangels. With the Hero eliminated, and the world horribly unraveling, reluctant tutor Lenna must step up to save the kingdom. But it won't be easy–all she has to guide her is the voice of the deceased elder, and he seems to know more than he's letting on…

Explore a dangerous island filled with dungeons, and defeat the eight archangels to bring order to a glitched-out kingdom in this top-down Zelda-like action-adventure game. Playable in 8-bit and 32-bit pixel art styles!

I like the look of this, it's been developed over the course of 8 years, initially as a hobby.

Screenshots:
if44r7L.png

QQBTBSE.png

A2v3Lv0.png

BZfF6cz.png

sPuozmM.png

fPAidKi.jpg

The price is $9.99.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Looks very uhh indie.... I give props for the glitchy scenarios as to reference on the glitched runs of some Zelda games tho that's cool

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
BZfF6cz.png

oh i get it. haha, it's kind of an obscure reference that'll fly over the heads of less cultured gamers, but it got a knowing chuckle out of me!

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of another game that also explored sprite/data corruption as a mechanic and aesthetic

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'll keep an eye on this, this looks great mechanically and hits all the right notes for gameplay and music, pun intended :P Although while I generally love pixel-art, something about the artstyle feels a bit bland and lifeless for the lack of better words, I have this feeling with most western cases of pixel-art somehow :/

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dunno if dual art styles like that is a good dev time investment but whatever...

Could be interesting. Though the Zelda randomizers work in part by operating on a fixed, well designed game where you know certain constants like which items you'd need to beat which dungeons or reach which chests so you can make forward looking decisions, not just walk somewhere and react to whatever is randomly there.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fitting in procedural generation into a genre that highly benefits from extremely tight, clever design seems like an odd choice, but it does look kind of cool. Hoping for some reviews?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This looks pretty nice. I will definitely have a look at it once it's out and impressions come in.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Procedural generation feels like it butts heads with the core design of Zelda. That being said I'm certainly curious and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it's received.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
It doesn't look bad, but it kinda of looks too derivative of Zelda. Not only the pixelart is very similar, but even the logo feels kinda of like some Zelda logos.

Plus, the game could've gone without that edgy "It's dangerous to go alone" scene.

Samuri

Oct 26, 2017
Hey - artist on the game here (specifically the 32-bit art style) - thanks for posting the thread! I've been staring at this game for like 5 years and Tom, the game's lead, has been doing so for even longer - so it feels weird to finally have it out there.

If y'all have any questions about the game I'll be happy to answer them!

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good!

Not a knock on it or anything, but how many independent spiritual successors to Nintendo franchises have "glitching" as a mechanic now?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good!

Not a knock on it or anything, but how many independent spiritual successors to Nintendo franchises have "glitching" as a mechanic now?
It's starting to be too much (at least for me). I was already over it after Axiom Verge.

But the game looks interesting, I'll wait for some impressions.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Is the whole game procedurally generated or only overworld or dungeons?

Anyway looks interesting. To the wishlist you go.

Samuri

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try it out, rogue like are really often hit or miss, hopefully this one is good

Is the whole game procedurally generated or only overworld or dungeons?

Anyway looks interesting. To the wishlist you go.

This game isn't really a rogue-like, it's closer to a "Zelda randomizer". The Overworld and dungeons are generated based on the name you give to the Kingdom, and the order of the dungeons (and their key items) changes to match.

OP
OP
Blue Lou

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
I've played an hour and 20 minutes now. I like it.

Towns and Dungeons are different each game. as is the order of the bosses.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm enjoying the dungeons and bosses. The overworld is interesting at first but is starting to get a little same-y. Played it all co op so far. The humor isn't always landing though.luckily nothing overstays it's welcome.

glad there's a fast travel for this kind of game.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
this looks neat, though I'm curious how much unique content there is to go through.

OP
OP
Blue Lou

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Update Plans
And we have more good news for you: a content update is coming this summer! Here's what we've got planned for v1.1:

• A "New Game+" mode
  • New enemies
  • New biomes
  • New items
  • Manual seed entry for challenges
  • Spoiler log generation (for story mode speedrunning)
  • Improved moddability
We have some huge surprises in store for you in the coming months, so follow us on twitter to stay tuned in, or join the discussion on Discord!