• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That Bowser Castle set looks amazing. Not clear if it includes a Mario figure, though? One is pictured, but it's labeled an "expansion" to the "starter course," so I'd imagine not.

At $59.99 that starter set is going to be the toy this holiday.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I was hoping for traditional builds.

The game looks like a fun temporary diversion that isn't really worth losing proper LEGO sets with more bricks and better designs.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I assume this went up before the embargo time? That store link isn't working (well, it's KIND of working, but redirects to an official URL with a 404 attached).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
unnamed.jpg

unnamed__3_.jpg

unnamed__4_.jpg

Looks like this went up a day early
That Bowser Castle set looks amazing. Not clear if it includes a Mario figure, though? One is pictured, but it's labeled an "expansion" to the "starter course," so I'd imagine not.

At $59.99 that starter set is going to be the toy this holiday.
Yeah sounds like there could be more player characters though... wonder if the tech part of Mario comes out and goes into the other bodies, that way you could be another player character if you go to your friends house. And Bowsers castle doesn't include Mario no

The game looks like a fun temporary diversion that isn't really worth losing more proper LEGO sets with more bricks and better designs.
They'll come they tease this as a big long running partnership and I'd expect them in wave 2. I mean if you think about it minifig are what tend leak out details of new announced lines so not having any traditional sets in wave one keeps that from happening

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

The game looks like a fun temporary diversion that isn't really worth losing more proper LEGO sets with more bricks and better designs.

The problem with "traditional" minifig-scale builds for Mario (which I'm sure are coming) is that at that scale so many iconic Mario things would just be single molds. This way people actually get to build Goombas and Koopas and Piranha Plants, which are really the interesting things in the Mario universe to build and play with.

I'm not expecting much out of the "game"/app but I like that they were able to incorporate the sound of Mario, which is such a huge part of the experience. If I was a kid I would absolutely go nuts for being able to play pretend-Mario "in real life" with these sets. LEGO knows what they're doing.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The problem with "traditional" minifig-scale builds for Mario (which I'm sure are coming) is that at that scale so many iconic Mario things would just be single molds. This way people actually get to build Goombas and Koopas and Piranha Plants, which are really the interesting things in the Mario universe to build and play with.

I'm not expecting much out of the "game"/app but I like that they were able to incorporate the sound of Mario, which is such a huge part of the experience. If I was a kid I would absolutely go nuts for being able to play pretend-Mario "in real life" with these sets. LEGO knows what they're doing.
Also should be pointed out his scanner is also color based For movementso you can make the course out of your entire collection, the sets are mainly for the iconic items with printed recognition stickers(so ?blocks, enemies, etc) so you could make a giant filled out detailed land if you wanted too, or heck recreate super Mario 3D Land/world levels

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Order it Through LEGO, Monty mole with a stone eyes is the GWP
oh shit for real?

edit: unpopular opinion, I think most of the builds mesh the aesthetics of Mario and LEGO incredibly well, with a few unfortunate exceptions (that goomba tho). The brick-built Yoshi and the entirety of Bowser's Castle are major highlights, both look great.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
wait, the bowser set $100? really?
Looks like a pretty small set but I'm still all in.
very curious about the gameplay.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
4 years to make a lego set really? I really hope they have other stuff in the pipeline also.

a lego Mario video game?
a lego Mario tv special or TV movie etc?

I really want a lego Mario video game though

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
4 years to make a lego set really? I really hope they have other stuff in the pipeline also.

a lego Mario video game?
a lego Mario tv special or TV movie etc?

I really want a lego Mario video game though
Four years isn't that long in respect to all that goes into getting it done.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
I'm replaying NSMB U with my 3 year old so this is a perfect gateway into Legos.

I think I'm giving the starter a try

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I like Bowser himself and would buy that alone. Him and a few of the other random things like the Piranha plant have looked good but still not feeling the "sets" as a whole. Hopeing that down the line they do a full castle in the traditional sense and not set up for the "game" think they have going on.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
most impressive to me is that i saw at least a few lego elements that i think are entirely new, which is something LEGO-Designers are specifically told to avoid as much as possible when designing new sets.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
most impressive to me is that i saw at least a few lego elements that i think are entirely new, which is something LEGO-Designers are specifically told to avoid as much as possible when designing new sets.
The shells and the rounded raised plates used as a base plates are the big ones, also the rounded 2x4 flat plates

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I will, as soon as the link works.
oh shit for real?

edit: unpopular opinion, I think most of the builds mesh the aesthetics of Mario and LEGO incredibly well, with a few unfortunate exceptions (that goomba tho). The brick-built Yoshi and the entirety of Bowser's Castle are major highlights, both look great.
Here's the GWP for buying through Lego https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/monty-mole-super-mushroom-expansion-set-40414

40414_alt1.png

Feel it gives the starter better value. Not sure I'll buy anything outside of the starter but there's some really cool new elements in these sets I think would be great for custom builds elsewhere

Oct 26, 2017
Also should be pointed out his scanner is also color based For movementso you can make the course out of your entire collection, the sets are mainly for the iconic items with printed recognition stickers(so ?blocks, enemies, etc) so you could make a giant filled out detailed land if you wanted too, or heck recreate super Mario 3D Land/world levels

I wonder how it deals with surface areas. If you have a red table, it should then treat it all as lava.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Did this ever go up for pre-order? I've been checking Lego.com and it still just says "coming soon."

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder how it deals with surface areas. If you have a red table, it should then treat it all as lava.
It has a gyro and an accelerometer too. Also it can gauge distance so you wouldn't be hurt till you "land" in the lava. But they said you can use all bricks so it should be interesting, I'd imagine the app will allow you to track stats and terrain types.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
" We hope to have a long and fruitful relationship with Nintendo and their IPs, and we are really looking forward to working with them on a longer-term. They have a lot of very exciting IPs that we might do or might not do."
If they give me Samus and her ship I'll pay any cost.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm really impressed at all the set variety they have here. A lot of care really went into this project and it shows.

May 17, 2018
Pricey - but lego always is. I think the connectivity stuff adds on quite a bit more when compared to traditional lego. Like the look of the guarded fortress, toad treasure hunt and Mario house, But the others are a bit meh. I think the power up packs are far too expensive. 11 pieces for £9 but again it's that connectivity pushing up the price

Oct 26, 2017
This Lego blog shows all the brand new parts that will be introduced:

www.newelementary.com

LEGO® Super Mario 2020: The Many Moulds of Mario

All the new moulds that will appear in LEGO® Super Mario sets, coming in August. Ben Davies lists them all.

There's obviously a couple of unique parts just for Mario, and some parts have a limited reusability like the pipes. But many of the new parts are generic but very useful (like the bricks with studs on four sides), so they will definitely turn up in other sets later.

If nothing else, the Mario hats could be super useful for custom figures in the Brickheadz design.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems more board game-ish. To the point where I wonder if more guided sets (like an actual board/tabletop set) might have made more sense

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I need to stay away from this. Ill buy too much and Ill end up doing all the building for my two boys and they will play with it for 10 minutes...

Looks really cool, I preordered the base set. Not sure if I will get much more than that, maybe Bowsers Castle and thats it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
For anyone wondering character packs a are indeed blind packs
1YWJzPq.jpg

6Y0QD5y.jpg

Also while price per a piece is slightly higher than normal considering every minion face piece appears to be printed(which is massive!) and the extreme number of new molds is a major offset

... and I might be buying a box of those character packs

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
There's a few Ideas sets up for review based on Breath of the Wild

ideas.lego.com

The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable Here is my first submission for LEGO ideas. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable. I chose ...

ideas.lego.com

The Legend of Zelda BotW: Hyrule Castle

Breath of the Wild"Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" is an open-world video game. It was published in 2017 by Nintendo.Thanks to Noah R on YouTube ...

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few Ideas sets up for review based on Breath of the Wild

ideas.lego.com

The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable Here is my first submission for LEGO ideas. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild Stable. I chose ...

ideas.lego.com

The Legend of Zelda BotW: Hyrule Castle

Breath of the Wild"Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" is an open-world video game. It was published in 2017 by Nintendo.Thanks to Noah R on YouTube ...

Never worth it to look though the Ideas. Just filled with a ton of really cool things that will never get picked up.