• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter was totally entranced watching the trailer, so I'm sure I'll end up getting some. Looks cool!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Awe they messed it up and didn't make the characters normal LEGO size just get some electronic gimmick in

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To be fair, it's mostly negative everywhere, here, Twitter, Lego hardcore fan communities and blogs and it's not surprising. It's a very weird direction, too far away from classic Lego sets (which would have been completely fine for kids too) with super high prices and a really low amount of bricks with a questionable replayability or integration into the rest of the collection.
I find that really silly coming from Lego fans, aren't they putting out custom builds all the time that use various pieces from different sets for more complex or accurate designs? People will come up with some super creative stuff with these few pieces and the few million other pieces they have.

This also doesn't preclude other more traditional sets too, especially if this does well. A Bowser like that Mario that makes his NES Castle music with a set styled after his castle stages I think is a no brainier after this one.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd much prefer they do something similar with Sonic:

resize:800:450

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
At first I didn't like this design, but then I watched the video. Very interesting!

Hoping there's traditional sets or at least a collectable Minifigure line.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
People who want a traditional set to display, you know the beauty of Lego is you can combine the unique elements from these sets with other pieces you own to make your own Mario themed dioramas.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I think this looks really cute, tbh. But then again, I'm not a hardcore Lego-maniac.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this is basically my child hood dreams come true!

I don't give a fuck that I'm a grown ass man, this shit will be MINE! Time to remake SMB levels with legos like I did as a kid again!

Yep, we did it before Lego knew it was cool (in my case it was wood building blocks haha).

Red and green bricks for Mario and Luigi.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
it is a toy for children
It's sort of hilarious that this needs to be stated.

If you think Lego has been advertising itself as Toys for children, then you havent payed attention to the lego landscape in a long time. Lego has taken great strides to invest and develop products aimed at adult markets, and has been very successful in capturing that market. The fact they are putting out a set that appeals to a younger audience is going to be met with backlash from that maket, that wants a product that at the very least appeals to all ages, not at a younger demographic.

The sonic lego set posted in here is a perfect example of something appealing to all ages

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, how much do you think this would cost? Seems like a nice Xmas gift, but expensive.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
If you think Lego has been advertising itself as Toys for children, then you havent payed attention to the lego landscape in a long time. Lego has taken great strides to invest and develop products aimed at adult markets, and has been very successful in capturing that market. The fact they are putting out a set that appeals to a younger audience is going to be met with backlash from that maket, that wants a product that at the very least appeals to all ages, not at a younger demographic.

The sonic lego set posted in here is a perfect example of something appealing to all ages

i would like to reiterate: this is a toy for children

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
This Lego Mario game thing doesn't really interest me, but on the bright side I feel a little more optimistic about the Lego Ideas BotW Stables. I was slightly worried as K'Nex have made licensed Mario building sets, but maybe that deal is over. (Mega Construx make Pokemon building sets, but that's with TPC not Nintendo). There's been a few Zelda-themed Lego Ideas that reached the review stage and weren't approved, but BotW Stables is way better than any of them. Fingers crossed.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I enjoy collecting world of nintendo figures but the block style look doesnt look good imo
I'll pass, I was hoping for more traditional Lego size figures.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I showed the trailer to my 7 yr old and that was a mistake. Please go easy on my wallet nintendo.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I think it's hideous and really wish they stuck with traditional Lego designs for this stuff and I would have bought it in an instant.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I have no problem with Yoshi but a larger Yoshi built similar to D.Va or Reinhardt from the Overwatch sets would have been so much nicer.
yeah these are very different from regular sets

tbh if anyone expected traditional sets after that teaser they deserve their disappointment lol

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I like it. It's different enough from the 100s of other standard Lego sets based on other franchises that it will definitely stand out

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I want this because it's sorta alike a Mario virtual pet. I have the baby Yoda that moves and makes noises pre-ordered.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me, I think these look pretty bad tbh. I don't even have the space anyway. If they do Zelda sets though, I might be interested.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
From the CNet writeup:

There are different Lego challenges that you could also see in the video that are skill-based, so you have to kind of put the Piranha [plant] exactly into the tube and then the reward pops up and there's a rotator platform. So if you move on that you get coins, but if you fall off you get a little time penalty.

I'm not seeing this as Lego Mario. I'm seeing this as Mario-themed Lego Screwball Scramble. And that has merit.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yoshi and some of the enemies look kind of cute, I saw a Blooper and a Shy Guy, I may have to nab those. But we'll see what the sets are gonna look like exactly, and how much they'll cost.
Lego Mario himself is probably gonna be wild given the electronics lol.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

No, this is a toy squarely aimed at children. Other LEGO products definitely can reach up in age. This is not one of them. Whoever is reacting to this with "backlash" needs to rethink their, "Ugh, why isn't this for me!?" mindset.