• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how many Era members are into Lego sets, as I myself have never really been into them, but being stuck in my house during this New York on PAUSE quarantine I find myself being drawn to this particular Lego set. Has anyone on here built it? Is it worth the price tag? Would you recommend it to someone else?

81hRDWRcNxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, and this is for anyone who has built it, is there any sort of Display Case to put it in once its done?

Thanks!!!!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Lego thread is here, but I get the impression the community largely transitioned to discord.

I don't have that myself, but was surprised to find out a while back that my brother picked it up. He doesn't collect any Lego stuff but does have a lot of superhero stuff, and is a Batman fan in particular. Checked it out in person when I went over and it is indeed a pretty cool set. Not sure about case that would fit it well but it would make a nice display piece if you're a Batman fan.

He put a light kit in his but I think he said he had some kind of issue with it, don't remember exactly what though.

Edit: Fixed link.

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got it for Christmas. I had to built it twice because I forgot a small gear to unable the guns to move up. Believe me it was a nightmare with all the piece mixed together. I found the built really interesting and imo worth the price.
I've heard display cases exist, yes, and it is probably a must because the car takes dust like crazy.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
It's great.
Its a massive Model with tons of nice techniques going into the build.
Had loads of fun building it and it looks really cool when done.
If you like batman and enjoy about 6 hours of building go for it.
If you just itch for some Lego there a sets with a better price value

Creator Expert Mustang is fantastic (or all creator Expert cars except the Bond Car) , the Ideas Tree house, Pirate Bay and Stranger Things sets are also great.

If you want to built a nice huge set with lot of technical elements that also looks good go for the Technic Defender.

In Terms of Buildings you can still get the parisian restaurant and assembly square for decent prices.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I only bought it because I had Lego gift returns and they were giving away a free mini batmobile but I will say that it's an awesome set if you love the 1989 movie.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So I ended up picking up the Batmobile and I started building it tonight. Worked on it for 2.5hrs and got through 2/24 bags. So far it hasn't been that difficult, but I did encounter an issue where I had to use some pieces that were listed for a step that were not part of bag 1 or 2, but just in some random, non-numbered bag that had pieces in it. Wonder why they do that....

49770932798_af14ec9bcf_c.jpg

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
If you like the mechanics and moving parts, definitely check out the Lego Technic Land Rover Defender (42110) or Bugatti Chiron (42083). I've really become enamored with the Lego Technic series in the last few years. Even some of the smaller sets like the Rescue Helicopter (42092) and Chevy Corvette ZR1 (42093) are really fun to tinker with. They're so good I find myself losing interest in the regular Lego system.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I built it in January after getting it for Xmas. I love it. It was a fun build and displays really well. The Keaton Batman fig is also rad AF.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So far I've come across one issue, and I guess its maybe because this is my first Lego set, but tonight while putting together bags 1 & 2, there were some pieces that were thrown into a couple of random bags with no numbers on it. A friend of mine told me that that is not a common thing and might be because the pieces were to big to fit into a normal size bag

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So far I've come across one issue, and I guess its maybe because this is my first Lego set, but tonight while putting together bags 1 & 2, there were some pieces that were thrown into a couple of random bags with no numbers on it. A friend of mine told me that that is not a common thing and might be because the pieces were to big to fit into a normal size bag
From the sets I've built, the bags without numbers come inside other larger bags. I can't remember ever seeing a bag without a number by itself. Sounds abnormal to me, but I build maybe a couple sets per year.

That's obviously excluding ones I built as a kid back before bags were numbered at all.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
From the sets I've built, the bags without numbers come inside other larger bags. I can't remember ever seeing a bag without a number by itself. Sounds abnormal to me, but I build maybe a couple sets per year.

That's obviously excluding ones I built as a kid back before bags were numbered at all.

yeah. So far I've come across two bags that had no numbers, had some random larger pieces in them and were so far used for pieces in bags 1& 2.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Bulky specialty pieces are in loose bags to prevent scrapes and scratches in the packaging

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Not sure how many Era members are into Lego sets, as I myself have never really been into them, but being stuck in my house during this New York on PAUSE quarantine I find myself being drawn to this particular Lego set. Has anyone on here built it? Is it worth the price tag? Would you recommend it to someone else?

81hRDWRcNxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, and this is for anyone who has built it, is there any sort of Display Case to put it in once its done?

Thanks!!!!

Paging PhoncipleBone who will totally stan for this set.

Nov 23, 2017
So I ended up picking up the Batmobile and I started building it tonight. Worked on it for 2.5hrs and got through 2/24 bags. So far it hasn't been that difficult, but I did encounter an issue where I had to use some pieces that were listed for a step that were not part of bag 1 or 2, but just in some random, non-numbered bag that had pieces in it. Wonder why they do that....
Not that far ahead of you. Finished bag 5 last weekend. The random bag is oversized pieces. They're bagged by weight and those oversized ones can really throw it off. That's why there's always extra of the really tiny and light pieces.

I'm building it with two friends, and we only get together on Friday Nights. So it's slow going. But the technics inside the car are looking pretty good. They usually do a good job with steering and engine designs that just make them awesome. Same thing with Carousel set and the mechanism to turn it.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Arguably the best (tie-up) Lego kit outside of the Ultimate Collection Millennium Falcon. Definitely a labor of love and I had no qualms forking over the requested price (especially since the limited-edition "mini" Batmobile kit that it came with is no slouch either -- Lego should offer it as a separate purchase if they haven't already; it would sell amazingly well).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Arguably the best (tie-up) Lego kit outside of the Ultimate Collection Millennium Falcon. Definitely a labor of love and I had no qualms forking over the requested price (especially since the limited-edition "mini" Batmobile kit that it came with is no slouch either -- Lego should offer it as a separate purchase if they haven't already; it would sell amazingly well).
Im a huge LEGO fan and I admit that I just bought the mini-Batmobile seperately (well it was a gift, but still). Haven't built it yet but I'm very glad to have it. Just wish it had the Burton Batman figure, might buy it seperately someday.

While I never built the UCS Falcon myself, I always felt like sets like it or the UCS Hogwarts (which I do own) are more impressive for their scope than their actual builds.

Saturn V is probably my favorite overall LEGO set for how cool it's build is, and how impressive it is in the end (seperatable multistage engines, tiny lander build, lots of printed pieces, etc.).
Wall-E is a close second. Not the biggest set or the most complicated build, but it looks fantastic.

Ninjago City is probably one of the most fun BIG sets since it has so many super creative smaller builds (crab BBQ, ATM, moving sushi bar, etc) in addition to being an impressive overall set in terms of how big it is.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm buying this tomorrow and I'm pretty hyped for it

I ran into this with my last set, the relatively new bookstore from the modular series. It was a small bag of 1x1 light gray bricks, and it quickly became apparent that they were in there because a manufacturing error had caused the 1x1 light gray bricks in the numbered bags to have a washed out appearance, and the bricks in the unlabeled bag were meant to replace them. I wonder if it's something like that.

Edit: Unless you mean they were in a bag inside the numbered bag. That is normal and they go with that step.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying this tomorrow and I'm pretty hyped for it

I ran into this with my last set, the relatively new bookstore from the modular series. It was a small bag of 1x1 light gray bricks, and it quickly became apparent that they were in there because a manufacturing error had caused the 1x1 light gray bricks in the numbered bags to have a washed out appearance, and the bricks in the unlabeled bag were meant to replace them. I wonder if it's something like that.

Edit: Unless you mean they were in a bag inside the numbered bag. That is normal and they go with that step.

Nope, they were just in bag with no number on it. Someone mentioned that those larger numberless bags are for pieces that are to delicate to put into a numbered bag, which I guess makes sense...

Oct 26, 2017
They always have larger parts in a larger bag since they are usually spread across the build and it would be messy to include them in the regular bags (larger parts are more likely to scratch others). Also, in the packing process, there can only be a certain number of different parts in a single bag. If they need more for a certain step, they have to add more bags of the same number or smaller sub-bags inside (which themselves count as one item but can have as many different parts inside).

This is all a very carefully controlled process and Lego basically don't make mistakes.

HOWEVER, that bag with the 1x1 bricks in the Book Shop was an aberration. The actual 1x1 bricks included in the bags were of the wrong colour and spread all across the build, so instead of recalling the entire batch they included an extra bag just with the replacements.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
I bought this in February because I am a huge 89' Batman fan. It was my first lego set, at about 3,000 pieces. The directions were very easy to follow. Everything is in numbered bags. It looks amazing and I love the little figures that came with it. Totally worth the $250. I hope lego does an 89' Batwing.

Now I just have to consistently resist the urge to get the $800 Millennium Falcon!

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I do have a question about something I have seen in the instruction manual...

What do those numbers mean that I have circled? I see them pop up and I have no clue. Sometimes, its two numbers like 7,2 or something else...

Thanks

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
Maybe this?

bricks.stackexchange.com

LEGO Technic part Numbers

My daughter got the LEGO Technic - Service Truck set. When we looked at the instructions, we saw a different notation on parts. eg: the beams (cross beam) it has number 5 in white circle. what doe...

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018

49770932798_af14ec9bcf_c.jpg

I picked it up early March, had not touched Lego in nearly 25 years. Saw the display model in a Lego shop and 2 weeks later purchased it with the aim of building it myself.

I made it up to bag 2 before I realised I had missing parts (to do with that mechanism in your post). While I waited for Lego to send replacements... I purchased the Rise of Skywalker Millennium Falcon (did it in 10 hours over 2 days, fun times!).

Now those parts came I resumed the build, into bag 3 and I'm having an issue at the start of arch where the back wheels will go. Its like the long black pieces don't want to sit in place (page 84-85 of the manual). I'm stumped and frustrated lol.

Oct 26, 2017
I do have a question about something I have seen in the instruction manual...

What do those numbers mean that I have circled? I see them pop up and I have no clue. Sometimes, its two numbers like 7,2 or something else...

Thanks

It means the length (in terms of regular Lego studs) of the axle. The picture is there for you to easily measure against, but there's also the length in case you already know them.

Oct 26, 2017
That part is actually 3,2 studs long, because there's that extra stud on the end of it. If you hold it across a regular part you'll see it's exactly that long.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Last night I finished bags 5 & 6, which were pretty straight forward, and consisted of the steering column, brake and gas pedals, and the moveable gatling guns...

49781842947_920496d64e_c.jpg

I have to say that I am shocked I was able to get those guns to move up and down without having to adjust any of the gears or other bits....

Tonight I work on bags 7 & 8.

Like I told someone else, this is the first lego set I've ever put together and I love watching the batmobile come together, at least from a technical standpoint... its crazy.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I've truly come to terms that this is my favorite LEGO set to date. It's practically perfect.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
had a lot of fun with the build tonight. I worked through bags 9 & 10 and now I can finally see the Batmobile coming into focus...

49787466237_5d357810f7_c.jpg

Every night I work on this set, it just boggles my mind how the Lego engineers were able to put this together...

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Finished bags 13 & 14 last night, which were mainly for the tail section of the car. I am truly loving watching this thing come together...

49797255268_6e9b88358e_c.jpg

49797800816_d995bae939_c.jpg

49797800791_7dde3509b4_c.jpg

I should be done with it by Friday night... then after that, I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll pick up the Voltron set...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is cool but $250 is a steep ask. Maybe not for Lego specifically but just in general!

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool but $250 is a steep ask. Maybe not for Lego specifically but just in general!

I mean it is a steep price, but:

1. the 1989 Batmobile is one of my favorite movie cars

2. I needed something to keep me sane during this quarantine.

3. If you work out the numbers, it's only about $.08 a brick (3306 pieces).

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I mean it is a steep price, but:

1. the 1989 Batmobile is one of my favorite movie cars

2. I needed something to keep me sane during this quarantine.

Sums up my logic to buy it. I saw it on display at a Lego store and instantly wanted it. At $399.99 Australian money its expensive BUT I had to have it.

Nice to see that you leapfrogged my progress (been on bag 14 since Saturday my time). Watching and seeing other people build it motivates me to push on. I've had many moments of frustration building it thus far but found a solution (99.9% caused by a misplaced brick lol). My recent issue was that the start of the right side backwheel archway clicked into place right away. The left side failed to line up at all. I deconstructed it and adjusted one part (even though it had nothing to do with it as the issue was on the outside shell of the Batmobile itself) put it back together before realising what the issue was. That thing you build in steps 282, 289 and continue to build over on 361.... I stùffed it up where the arches wouldn't sit and line up. Now that I have fixed it i should be able to speed through it on my next days off. Probably still will be working on it at Christmas time lol.

OP
OP
Parisi

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Finished bags 15 & 16 tonight... love how it is looking right now.

49800009711_a8dc488393_b.jpg

49800009526_a4b86d37fc_c.jpg

I do have a question though about the nose piece in the above photo... When I got to that page in the manual they show you the baggie that had the (3) fly-wheel looking circular objects, but when I built the nose-cone it only used two of those pieces and then I went and looked through the rest of the instructions and can not find any where in there that says to use it for part of the build? Did I miss a step?

Here are the pieces I am speaking about:

49800215511_5da7ab2c27_c.jpg

49800533507_3e963b8870_c.jpg

Any ideas??

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
They came attached so you had to snap the three wheels off, right? It's just how they are molded, and it's an extra piece. I sometimes see that on a smaller scale with the ring of minifig tool accessories. Some sets use 1 piece for something, but you get the whole wheel.

Like so...

lQzzhct.png