• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the deals aren't very interesting.
What are you talking about? 20% of the UCS Snowspeeder on top of Double VIP. :P

Wasn't planning on getting anything of S@H. Only thing I was going to buy was the Boba Fett buildable figure from a local toychain doing 15% on Star Wars today. But now I've ordered the UCS Snowspeeder, not knowing where I'll be able to put it.

Oct 26, 2017
TRU Sweden has discounts on both MF and the Death Star, the latter coming down to around $400. I would have gotten it, but really, I need the money and the space for the rollercoaster.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've almost convinced myself to not get the snowspeeder (have missed enough OT UCS ships already) and even the Y-Wing - the non UCS is pretty enough and I doubt I have space. Keeping it to the holy trinity X-Wing, TIE, Imperial Shuttle is probably a good balance of space Vs quality.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted the snowspeeder since announcement, but found it to expensive and was waiting for a good deal. 20% of definitely is. Paied 184 euro now, and got 15 euro in Lego credit on top of that for a future purchase.

I'm cutting back on regular Lego Star Wars playsets (only got Luke's hut from TLJ and Solo's speeder from Solo), but hope to get a deal on the UCS ships every year. Got Slave 1 and Tie so far, and love how the Y-wing looks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Leicester Square store has the UCS MF in stock.. 2x VIP..

Y-Wing is on display too. Pretty and big but a relatively easy pass for me.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up that UCS Y-Wing, couldn't take advantage of DP since I have all the sets I want already lol.

Love the new boxes for UCS sets though, I hope they keep that going.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I almost wanna grab another Mil Falcon for the double points, and then just sell it off.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed that Krennic's Shuttle didn't get a discount, it feels like it's often on sale at other stores so I wanted it on sale so I could get the BB-8 giveaway.

I'm thinking I'll just wait and pay $20 or whatever for the mini BB-8 online somewhere. As much as I like Krennic's Shuttle, LEGO Star Wars sets are a hole I can easily fall into if I'm not careful.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
acMkb6O.jpg

Trying to keep myself busy and built this. Ok so I'm going to get this nagging negative out of the way. This side isn't too bad but the other side
lN9JqKk.jpg

I'm not sure why I didn't notice or it didn't stand out to me in the official pics but it's really bugging me up close. This really looks unfinished. Look I understand it comes with a big fig but it's almost exactly 1000 pieces. For a hundred bucks I think they could have afforded a few more SNOT pieces to make the outside look cleaner.

Also this
m1Fu5YV.jpg

Looks really pathetic after building the water tower in the Detective modular. I was double checking to see if I missed some steps or pieces but even the instructions show those gaps. Now it seems like it's to allow the play feature but again with a few extra pieces they could have done the build slightly different and include the play feature without it looking so lazy. I really want to include this in my modular street for the Sanctum side but it's definitely gonna need some touching up to fit in.

Ok negatives out of the way I'm still happy with this set and actually hope they do more like this. It felt a lot like building a Juniors modular or something. For anyone that gets this and enjoys the build but haven't bought a modular yet this should convince you to make that jump in.

The figs are fine. I believe this is the only way to get a Dr Strange fig if you missed that one exclusive Dr Strange set from that movie. Which by the way I'm really interested in seeing if I can integrate that set into this one when fixing it to fit in with the modulars. The Spidey fig is a really excellent print. I'm going to remove the arms pack to display it better. The two Black Order figs are ok but just nothing jumped out to me with them.

So my main thoughts are a really good set and still going in the right direction with these higher priced super hero sets with some noticeable flaws. Luckily being Lego those flaws can be fixed. Definitely a buy for super hero collectors but maybe wait for sale to lessen the blow.

It's so Spiderman can climb on the outside

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I popped into the Flagship London store on Friday. Will probably get myself another building (I have a few of the creator buildings(, but I coulldnt decide on which one to get next.

In the meantime, I spotted these oversize promotional Lego figures, but unfortunately they were not for sale, so is there any way to get like a really big lego figure?

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
4444244 there are few options
The one you saw are made by LEGO, they are made in the factories by special teams. Some are one offs and other are made in series. The special ones are usually for internal LEGO Stores and events. Probably hard to get by legal means ;) Then there are others, made in series, they are also used by non-LEGO toy shops. I don't know what is the current status, but in past they were sold, given (very seldom) and leased.
- look on ebay etc if somebody sells the ones they own (usually happens for the older ones)
- try to buy one from non-LEGO toyshop that has one :D or see if they can order one from LEGO (there might be some legal roadblocks)
- build one yourself ;) I guess that would be costly
- commission one, besides the LEGO Certified Professionals (costly, costly) there are also fans that make some, this guy did some maxifigs for the local event organizer https://www.flickr.com/photos/vasyk/albums/72157644232165063 I guess many of the commercial event organizers that invest in commissioned works could tell you the cost

... I never dared to price anything like that ;)

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4444244 there are few options
The one you saw are made by LEGO, they are made in the factories by special teams. Some are one offs and other are made in series. The special ones are usually for internal LEGO Stores and events. Probably hard to get by legal means ;) Then there are others, made in series, they are also used by non-LEGO toy shops. I don't know what is the current status, but in past they were sold, given (very seldom) and leased.
- look on ebay etc if somebody sells the ones they own (usually happens for the older ones)
- try to buy one from non-LEGO toyshop that has one :D or see if they can order one from LEGO (there might be some legal roadblocks)
- build one yourself ;) I guess that would be costly
- commission one, besides the LEGO Certified Professionals (costly, costly) there are also fans that make some, this guy did some maxifigs for the local event organizer https://www.flickr.com/photos/vasyk/albums/72157644232165063 I guess many of the commercial event organizers that invest in commissioned works could tell you the cost

... I never dared to price anything like that ;)

Hi thanks for replying. Although I would also love one of those, I actualy meant the 19" store display figures (I should have actualy taken a photo).

Having googled it a bit, it seems you can get them on eBay, albeit they are at least few hundred.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lego+19+inch&_sacat=0&_sop=12

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I had the idea of surprising my other half in some months for her birthday with a MOC replica of our little house, in minifig scale, modular style.

Not being very experienced with it and still at the very early planning stages of just sketching the floor plan in studs, I already came across with the limitations of the minifig scale, or otherwise how large things need to be to stay in scale, so our little house that I was picturing in my head being in the center of a 32x32 green baseplate, with some details representing the yard and surroundings, actually needs to be about 32 studs wide - unless I sacrifice a lot of interior detail, which I'm not very comfortable with, due to my aforementioned lack of experience.

Anyway, more detailed model or less detailed model, I'll take it to LDD later (although I'm really not good at it) and eventually if it gets done I'll get the parts list and procede to bricklink. I guess that should be about it.

Any tips from more experienced MOC builders?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So, I had the idea of surprising my other half in some months for her birthday with a MOC replica of our little house, in minifig scale, modular style.

Not being very experienced with it and still at the very early planning stages of just sketching the floor plan in studs, I already came across with the limitations of the minifig scale, or otherwise how large things need to be to stay in scale, so our little house that I was picturing in my head being in the center of a 32x32 green baseplate, with some details representing the yard and surroundings, actually needs to be about 32 studs wide - unless I sacrifice a lot of interior detail, which I'm not very comfortable with, due to my aforementioned lack of experience.

Anyway, more detailed model or less detailed model, I'll take it to LDD later (although I'm really not good at it) and eventually if it gets done I'll get the parts list and procede to bricklink. I guess that should be about it.

Any tips from more experienced MOC builders?
Either way you will probably have to sacrifice accuracy and scale to overall aesthetics. Personally I would not worry if two neighboring rooms are not exactly to scale as long as the overall layout is consistent.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
Another Ideas round closed
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09...8d6/post/70448f84-18c7-432f-837b-e7f6bc473f49

My take:
- No chance - Acclamator (there just because it was created before the new auto-ban rules); Modular Arcade - cannibalizing own theme line; Embraer A-29 (a nice plane, but what plane ? who can distinguish from any other plane ? one in 10000 ?); SR-71 (even in NASA livery it is still a "current" military plane)
- Small to none - Mystery Science Theater 3000 (limited fan base, ignored by most, does not have any appeal to non-fans); Treehouse (nice, big ... too big by part number and size, ask yourself would you buy it ? how would you display it ?); Amelia (too bound to the kids book, which has limited coverage and appeal to adults)
- and the ones with higher chances
- Flintstones - not the first time Ideas contender, there is certain nostalgic element ... but is it enough to sell ? Also who knows the state of licenses for those ...
- BMW R60 - so far we did not had "Creator Expert" motorbike, if there isn't one planned for the regular theme this is the way how to make one. The license with BMW is there, which is good, but can be also bad as it could have broken the rules if created after their change in April 2017. On the other hand, it is highly improbable that on talks with BMW for the Technic bike they considered historic ones with regular bricks...
- Stitch - there it is, my guess for this round. It can go in Wall-E's steps... thread tracks ... and use Ideas to get a set if there is no current movie. It is recognized not only kids, but also more grown up fans (as in age but not mind, I bought an Infinity starter pack on liquidation sale just to get Stitch ;) ) Disney is like the in-house license partner so there should be no problems to talk to them, but they might not want some old character for stealing some spotlight from new ones ... like those Porgs.

5417026-Projects_in_Review-GrVLdgl8mxf3Kg-thumbnail-full.png

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Blackbird would be awesome, but Lego will deny it because it's military. I'd also be in for the arcade but they probably have plans for the modular lineup and aren't looking to do an ideas set for it, and it's probably over 3000 pieces.

Wouldn't be interested in any others, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them are picked again.

Last edited:

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
I think Flintstones, Stitch and Amelia are the ones with the best shot. The rest are too big, too similar etc.

Personally, I'm hoping for Flintstones. I think that set's execution is fantastic and I'd love to have it. They also have a history of working with Hanna Barbera/WBTV (and wasn't it an easter egg in Dimension) so I could see this one having a good chance. Or, I hope lol

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any word on a release date for Voltron?
I'd say it would be logical to launch it when another series of the current cartoon incarnation would be premiered @ Netflix. Or on a big even like SDCC. Both of these would make it a summer news...
But simple logic does not always apply to marketing stuff :D

Last edited:

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I think Flintstones, Stitch and Amelia are the ones with the best shot. The rest are too big, too similar etc.

Personally, I'm hoping for Flintstones. I think that set's execution is fantastic and I'd love to have it. They also have a history of working with Hanna Barbera/WBTV (and wasn't it an easter egg in Dimension) so I could see this one having a good chance. Or, I hope lol

I'd be kind of surprised if Amelia makes it, if only because they just launched their own biplane and I doubt they'd want to cut the legs out from under it.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be kind of surprised if Amelia makes it, if only because they just launched their own biplane and I doubt they'd want to cut the legs out from under it.

Are you talking about 31076?

As far as "cutting the legs out from under it", you have to remember the extremely long lead times for ideas. This round's winner won't even be announced until around summer (prob August). For comparison, last year's summer Ideas announcement was the ship in a bottle, which released about 6 months later. City/creator stuff is pretty solid with yearly schedules I think, so unless they have one for the 2019 slate, I don't think Amelia would be a conflict of an early 2019 set.

I mean, I don't think Amelia has the best chance overall, but it's the 3rd best chance among the group IMO. I'm not really trying to defend it as a set, but I don't think the reason you give would be a valid reason for disqualifying it. There's better reasons for that IMO (the build looks very lacking, color isn't exactly "popping" and it's not anything with a built-in fanbase such as Tron, Adventure Time, etc.)

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Are you talking about 31076?

As far as "cutting the legs out from under it", you have to remember the extremely long lead times for ideas. This round's winner won't even be announced until around summer (prob August). For comparison, last year's summer Ideas announcement was the ship in a bottle, which released about 6 months later. City/creator stuff is pretty solid with yearly schedules I think, so unless they have one for the 2019 slate, I don't think Amelia would be a conflict of an early 2019 set.

I mean, I don't think Amelia has the best chance overall, but it's the 3rd best chance among the group IMO. I'm not really trying to defend it as a set, but I don't think the reason you give would be a valid reason for disqualifying it. There's better reasons for that IMO (the build looks very lacking, color isn't exactly "popping" and it's not anything with a built-in fanbase such as Tron, Adventure Time, etc.)

If it got made, it would almost certainly be rebuilt from the ground up by LEGO designers, so I don't know that the other flaws with the set are really that significant. People like the idea of an Amelia Earhart set, and I'm sure lego could come up with one without much difficulty. Though I suppose she flew plenty of different types of aircraft and they could probably just make the set into something different that would stand out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd kill for the MST3K set, but I just don't see that one happening. It did just get a new series on Netflix, so maybe if they get Netflix on board I could see it happening as a promotion merch kinda thing, but I admit that's a jot of a pipe dream.

Stitch I'd definitely get too, would go perfect with Wall-E.

Don't much care for any of the others, but I could see the Flintstones having a chance. Fun looking set and a recognizable license.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like the MST3k set, but I'm bothered by the way the scale is way off; Crow is a monster who will CONSUME US ALL.

I think perhaps a better fit would be just a Crow and Servo with a bit more detail and no attempt to make them minifigure-scale.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another Ideas round closed
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09...8d6/post/70448f84-18c7-432f-837b-e7f6bc473f49

My take:
- No chance - Acclamator (there just because it was created before the new auto-ban rules); Modular Arcade - cannibalizing own theme line; Embraer A-29 (a nice plane, but what plane ? who can distinguish from any other plane ? one in 10000 ?); SR-71 (even in NASA livery it is still a "current" military plane)
- Small to none - Mystery Science Theater 3000 (limited fan base, ignored by most, does not have any appeal to non-fans); Treehouse (nice, big ... too big by part number and size, ask yourself would you buy it ? how would you display it ?); Amelia (too bound to the kids book, which has limited coverage and appeal to adults)
- and the ones with higher chances
- Flintstones - not the first time Ideas contender, there is certain nostalgic element ... but is it enough to sell ? Also who knows the state of licenses for those ...
- BMW R60 - so far we did not had "Creator Expert" motorbike, if there isn't one planned for the regular theme this is the way how to make one. The license with BMW is there, which is good, but can be also bad as it could have broken the rules if created after their change in April 2017. On the other hand, it is highly improbable that on talks with BMW for the Technic bike they considered historic ones with regular bricks...
- Stitch - there it is, my guess for this round. It can go in Wall-E's steps... thread tracks ... and use Ideas to get a set if there is no current movie. It is recognized not only kids, but also more grown up fans (as in age but not mind, I bought an Infinity starter pack on liquidation sale just to get Stitch ;) ) Disney is like the in-house license partner so there should be no problems to talk to them, but they might not want some old character for stealing some spotlight from new ones ... like those Porgs.

5417026-Projects_in_Review-GrVLdgl8mxf3Kg-thumbnail-full.png
Arcade seems a bit dull but I'm all in on the Treehouse and BMW Bike

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Built the UCS Y-Wing over the weekend, maybe my fave UCS set since Slave 1? Really liked the main body build.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Coming soon, a 4,000+ piece Technic set with the added bonus of not being totally weird like the BWE was. Top of my "to-buy" list now!

https://brickset.com/article/35984/first-images-of-42082-rough-terrain-crane

42082-2.jpg

It's so big it looks like they couldn't even fit the whole picture of the truck on the box!
That red is amazing, unless the photo is off and it's just the normal red. I wonder if it's fully motorizible (sp?) and if it's already designed for PF 2.0.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the Quantum Realm set will be the only AMATW set after all.

Man, that Hope helmet pisses me off.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, looking great!

Need that Ghostbusters one, Harry+Hedwig, and Dumbledore. Hermione and Ron... kinda plain IMO.