• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, the lack of articulation is what kills it. It looks fine, but leaner than it should, when done. But that lack of articulation at key points drags it down a bunch.

And it is a shame, because I really loved the chunky nature of the build.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the video I linked to (the same one Bentbricks posted a few pages ago) seems to have done a great job of adding knee articulation while also keep the knee thick and detailed (and not just the joint pieces). Shows it off really well at around the 1 minute mark.

They did a great job IMO, but it is annoying they couldn't put together a parts list at the very least, you just have to eyeball the video and figure it out yourself. Thankfully they seem to have done a decent job of showing the build so it shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Yeah. I love that car in real life.

I'm not sure if I'll actuallt jump in Speed Champions. Seems like another black hole. But I might. You sure aren't helping :P

I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Ferrari f1 truck set at 60$ before it retired. It's definitely a black hole - I've got maybe 2/3 of all the sets hoarded up for the kids when they're older

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Ferrari f1 truck set at 60$ before it retired. It's definitely a black hole - I've got maybe 2/3 of all the sets hoarded up for the kids when they're older
Thing is. Lots of these SC sets are in impulse buy territory. And that's too dangerous :P

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The one i told you about isn't, as it's 2 cars instead of one. But it's still the best!

I know. Allready looked it up. It's not to pricey on Amazon.de.

And I bought my first two Speed Champion sets today. Mustang and Ford Fiesta. They had a buy e, pay 2 deal going on in Fnac Lisbon, so I caved. Got the Kylo vs A wing microfighters set too. Payed 36 euros for those 3 sets. notbad.gif

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of LEGO Boost? It seems interesting but isn't compatible with Mindstorms.

I have some Best Buy credit and couldn't think of anything else to get.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
What do you guys think of LEGO Boost? It seems interesting but isn't compatible with Mindstorms.

I have only messed with it a little bit for work, but it was interesting. I hated how you had to baby step through the app to even get anything going with it, but haven't messed with it since. Hoping they at least give you some more fine control of stuff now.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

Don't expect anything amazing with the app, but it's a fun set. Vernie the Robot and Frankie the Cat are some of my favorite builds from last year. Vernie has a great "R.O.B." vibe to him, just love him. And Frankie...well he's an awesome cat, what else can I say?

Back to the app, it's gimmicky. They give you a good amount of options per build, but the programming leaves much to be desired, and the functions on some builds get old fast. I also would have preferred to have normal instructions. Instead, you have to go to the app for build instructions, and you can't choose which model you want to build initially, you have to build Vernie first then Frankie, etc.

So models are great, app not so much and the programming is very basic. My kids had fun with the programming functions with all of the builds...but just for like a week. They haven't touched it since. Vernie looks great on my mantle though!

Last edited:

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect anything amazing with the app, but it's a fun set. Vernie the Robot and Frankie the Cat are some of my favorite builds from last year. Vernie has a great "R.O.B." vibe to him, just love him. And Frankie...well he's an awesome cat, what else can I say?

Back to the app, it's gimmicky. They give you a good amount of options per build, but the programming leaves much to be desired, and the functions on some builds get old fast. I also would have preferred to have normal instructions. Instead, you have to go to the app for build instructions, and you can't choose which model you want to build initially, you have to build Vernie first then Frankie, etc.

So models are great, app not so much and the programming is very basic. My kids had fun with the programming functions with all of the builds...but just for like a week. They haven't touched it since. Vernie looks great on my mantle though!

Bummer. That does sound disappointing with the gimmicky app. Without a fleshed out app, it just feels overpriced now compared to other Technic sets.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
One thing about Boost, or the future of Boost. LEGO are you listening? Ditch the app, and go pre-programmed Boost bricks! Make LEGO builds more interactive. Like basically a working Frankie the Cat without the app, walking around, purring, moving features etc. Just like my kids' damn hatchimals thing, but LEGO. The technology is there.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Never thought I'd become someone with a LEGO backlog, but between packing for my move to California, actually moving, unpacking, and getting settled, I officially have a ballooning backlog.

Before moving I picked up Women of NASA, Winter Train, and the Wonder Woman Brickheadz.
Then I picked up 2 of the Avengers sets since they were on sale.
...and because of the 2x promotion (and to treat myself from the move, I'm finally done buying random crap for the house... for the moment) I broke down and got the Ship in a Bottle and... UCS Hulkbuster.

I fully instead to moc the Hulkbuster using that video to add knee articulation, so I'll probably end up spending another $20-30 on Bricklink for the pieces I need (hopefully I don't need to spend more than that).

Now I just have to hope I have room for all these sets, having disassembled my 2 modulars for the move it did free up a bit of space.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
I like the positioning and accessibility of Boost as compared to the steeper learning curve and dependency on Technic for Mindstorms. Makes it easier for kids to join. Also it is quite close to WeDo 2.0 which they might get at school. That much as it can be used with the 3rd party visual programming SW like Scratch in the same way.
I hope LEGO will put up more sets to be combined with the base Boost set, this is something to be followed, to add functionality to regular sets. How cool would it be to add some functionality in the bigger sets, even ones like SW - some star destroyer or AT-whateverT

One thing about Boost, or the future of Boost. LEGO are you listening? Ditch the app, and go pre-programmed Boost bricks! Make LEGO builds more interactive. Like basically a working Frankie the Cat without the app, walking around, purring, moving features etc. Just like my kids' damn hatchimals thing, but LEGO. The technology is there.
I hope not, that would kill the possibilities of the bricks and probably not cut the price much or any. But I see this might be the case for having those programs stored in the FW of the brick. The flash memory to keep them would be super cheap. Then just activate them either from the brick or one click from the app. Or even use some bar code scanning with the light sensor as was in 8479 Barcode Multi-Set. Or add some program sharing to the app. This might tie in the kids and then they could continue by experimenting with the in-app programming.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
papluh I just want them to have a rechargeable Boost module. And open up the app some. I get why the app is the way it is. It is an entry level thing to programming. But at least give us some options to do more.

Bentbricks

Oct 26, 2017
Fraggin Awesome!

I love the piece use in the build. His belt buckle gives you an idea of scale as it's a 1x2 brick with 2 holes.
26083421247_56985cc851.jpg

IMG_2415 by Shawn Snyder, on Flickr

He's got some other large scale builds like that as well on his photostream.

11043178604_409dfda58b.jpg

The Borg from Star Trek by Shawn Snyder, on Flickr

On another note regarding Hulkbuster, BorthersBrick has a nice post on two Hulkbuster MOCs that look better than the official LEGO one (of course they may not be as sturdy and probably cost more as a retail equivalent)
https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/03/26/a-tale-of-two-hulkbusters-and-a-hulk/

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
I was just at my local Target last night and they had it full price.

Just checked online now, and it's already out of stock. Word must have traveled fast.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amazon.de are such a tease. Marked my 42077 (Technic rally car) as out for delivery today, and when I dug deeper into it, I realised they just meant it gets delivered to my local postal service, so it will still need to be processed and delivered locally. I have little hopes for tomorrow delivery, and after that it's a 4 day weekend...

On the upper side it came in the post today the replacement track to the broken out of the box piece I got with my 42065 (Technic RC tracked car), so I could finally finish assembling it and try it out, and man, that thing is fun! Way faster and more fun than I expected. I don't even want to take it apart to make MOCs yet. Wonder how much of a battery hog it is...

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GIVWHMk.jpg

GlbP8ai.jpg

jcq5nuU.jpg

So I really liked this set. It still doesn't beat the original Milano set but it's definitely better than the GoTG 2 Milano set. It's wing span is cool and they used neat techniques to get the curves and angles. You might as well as consider this a $90 set because you really need the pod set to make this feel complete and give it some heft. Thanos Bro is alright but I really need to dig out the older more accurate Thanos big fig. I actually really liked crazy assault Iron Man. Reminds me of a Gundam fig or something. All the attachments and laser blast poses you can get out of him now is really nice. Just try to get both sets on sale to take the sting out of the price.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it a waste to spend on Buwizz with PF 2.0 coming out this year?

Now that it crossed my mind just saw that a sale ended yesterday, ugh.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
that sticker alignment right in the middle of 2nd pic (on the orange 2x2 curved slope) cannot be unseen ... ;)

Is it a waste to spend on Buwizz with PF 2.0 coming out this year?

I don't expect LEGO to come with something that has the same parameters in terms of power and battery size as they use 'safer' limits. But I'd wait on how the connectors compatibility will end up. And what the brick will look like, supposedly the one coming with train is all-in-one, no more separate receiver. But so far 2H2018 Technic seems to use old system. There is still quite lot unknown, can't imagine there would be enough to use 2-port BT integrated BBox.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
that sticker alignment right in the middle of 2nd pic (on the orange 2x2 curved slope) cannot be unseen ... ;).

Yea I know, I've gotten horrible at stickers, not sure why I bother. I used to be so good at applying them in my G1 Transformers days too.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think so, just I remember first getting into LEGO that year (I'd just graduated and needed a hobby to do between job applications so I didn't go insane) and R2-D2 being one of the first large sets I swooned over, but just didn't have enough disposable income at the time to justify it.

Nitemare

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know what time the LEGO TRON set goes on sale? I don't want to miss it

Just got up and ordered mine this morning. There's stock left but they are limit of 1 per customer.
Pulled the trigger on Sanctum Sanctorum . essentially realizing i ordered that big set for the minifigs and the time stone.

I dont have a problem. i can stop when ever i want.
stop looking at me

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I swear Lego sometimes makes me shake my head. $34.99 is ONE PENNY away from free shipping. I'm debating even buying the dang Tron set I want so much.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Ordered the Disney Castle and Ship Bottle during Double VIP. Figured the Castle would retire before Ninjago City. I'm assuming NC should still be around for the rest of the year?

KasumiYukari

Oct 28, 2017
Alas so close to the free shipping. I mean I could go to the local store but I'm not sure if they'll have it in stock or not by the time I can drive out there.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont have a problem. i can stop when ever i want.
stop looking at me

You're in a safe place here. It's ok, we won't make you stop. Did you get all the other Avengers set? Did you get the Spider-Man sets from last year like the Bridge Battle? If not might want to get those before they are retired.

For those worried about free shipping throw a CMF pack on your order. The Costume CMFs come out tonight.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The trick when the shipping is that close is add one piece from pick a brick. I think that works.
DANGIT! Lol. Great tip. I put the gold brick keychain for $4.99 and used my $5.00 left over vip credit. Got the free shipping, and I like the gold brick keychain too lol. Wish I was smart enough to have thought of your tip.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
DANGIT! Lol. Great tip. I put the gold brick keychain for $4.99 and used my $5.00 left over vip credit. Got the free shipping, and I like the gold brick keychain too lol. Wish I was smart enough to have thought of your tip.
I THINK it works. Haven't experimented with that yet though.

EDIT: Yup. Seems to work. Added a $.06 brick and it triggered shipping

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my tron. Thanks for the pick a brick tip.

Also, the flower girl is such a cool little minifig