• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Yeah, just thought it was an interesting insight into how LEGO viewed them. Obviously not as long-term licensed sets, but quite limited editions, more like Mixels were or CMFs.

(Also I meant UK store so I dunno why I said EU, not that it makes much difference)

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
[Opens new Lego thread for the first time]

"Exciting £300 Taj Mahal reissue!!!!"

It's like slipping back on a pair of comfy old slippers.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Honestly I think it is very lame to just a straight re-release. It's not even trying to be at least a little bit new like the Falcon. Even the Falcon was disappointing to be honest. I would much prefer a proper re-imagining with all the new bricks and techniques.
And there are still plenty of landmarks LEGO could be producing before recycling.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
No issue at all with straight re releases of high demand sets. Easy money for LEGO and fuck people that bought 10 of them and sat on them.

Speculators are freaking out, saying that LEGO is killing their own brand, that it's no use owning LEGO sets if they're not rare and collectible, etc...
I think they might be missing the point of LEGO lol.

Taisaijin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be bummed if they do another Winter Toy Shop (lazy re-release on a pre-existing annualized refresh.)

Along the same lines, it's naive to say Lego isn't at least partially targeted as a collectible when they blatantly leverage that market with Comicon figs / Brickheadz, VIP tour sets and garbage like Mr. Gold.

Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the chinese copies may have something to do with their decision to relaunch some sets. They are probably testing the water.

I would prefer an updated than a straight remake but I take it anyway.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes the Brickpicker threads are kind of headbanging absurd fun type ... but sometimes there are nuggets of info. Not sure about the credibility, but might be worth considering when thinking about the re-releases. There is always 2 levels, the management and the designers. If somebody does not get a green light, he cannot be considered lazy.
Why was this set reissued? It's a question Jamie Berard (the lead designer for LEGO Creator) gets asked a lot these days. I have a friend who recently took a trip to Denmark, and had a chance to ask Jamie this very question in person. The long and short of his response was rather surprising. The reissue had nothing to do with a lack of new design ideas. In fact, according to Jamie, they had a new model ready to go. However management was not ready to put resources into it just yet. So Jamie talked with the people in charge and it all boiled down to this; there would either be no new LEGO Winter Village set this year, or they could rerelease one of the previous sets. The end result is a revised version of the #10199 LEGO Winter Toy Shop from 2009. The next logical question is; what changes are there in the revised version?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'd already stopped buying OOP sets that are much more than RRP anyway, but this is just one more reason to stop.

Maybe one day I can have a Y Wing, B Wing, Imperial Shuttle and next year I can have the ISD.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually okay with re-releasing old sets. It gives people who missed them the chance to own them again. I buy lot's of Lego but I'm not very concerned with the "collectible value" of the sets I buy, I just want to build them and use the bricks making other stuff.

chub

Oct 28, 2017
I always build my sets, I'm not interested in keeping them boxed for later resale. I've bought a few OOP sets, but not many as I don't want to pay way over the RRP for them. So I'm fine with reissues, and hope they do a few more. For example, I would love to get a new UCS R2-D2 sometime that doesn't cost €300-400.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Not on my list for Santa either.

Blessed am I that since I'm up to date with my UCS, now all I want are Tower Bridge/Big Ben/Beetle/Camper/Mini/Caterham/Ferrari.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the Brickpicker threads are kind of headbanging absurd fun type ... but sometimes there are nuggets of info. Not sure about the credibility, but might be worth considering when thinking about the re-releases. There is always 2 levels, the management and the designers. If somebody does not get a green light, he cannot be considered lazy.

But that was about the time they reissued TS right? Not now.

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
But that was about the time they reissued TS right? Not now.
Yeah, it was just repeated in the thread for TM.
Because short sighted people just state "LEGO = lazy" without any knowledge how it works in corporations ... it is good that even some Brickpicker members are trying to talk reason into that thread. It is not like some designer can just say " it is as good as it gets, leave me alone and release what we have" :D

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, Toy Shop.

Yeah, it was just repeated in the thread for TM.
Because short sighted people just state "LEGO = lazy" without any knowledge how it works in corporations ... it is good that even some Brickpicker members are trying to talk reason into that thread. It is not like some designer can just say " it is as good as it gets, leave me alone and release what we have" :D

I agree but the situation was different back them. It seems that the management decided to hold a new set (for whatever reason) so the solution was to reissue an old one or have nothing at all at the theme that year. Now Taj is not a replacement, it is a deliberate reissue. It is a change of mindset that I approve.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I almost ordered a second NASA set for my wife's desk at work, but I know she already has enough stuff there. But she is also all about anything promoting women in science like herself.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind reissues. It's not like you can't get your money back with a decently popular set.

I do buy multiples sometimes but that's more of a "just in case" thing. I'm already running out of storage space so maybe I should set up a BL store to offload some.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing set. I bought it only for the Christmas tree build. And the minifigures are a nice inclusion.
If I were you I pick up the WV Train and WV Train Station too, if you haven't picked them up already.

Already got the Train and Train Station so I was thinking of getting this to compliment it. Plus it was a perfect combo with the Women of NASA to hit that $100 mark for the free holiday set. Thanks for the feedback!

papluh

Oct 26, 2017
I agree but the situation was different back them. It seems that the management decided to hold a new set (for whatever reason) so the solution was to reissue an old one or have nothing at all at the theme that year. Now Taj is not a replacement, it is a deliberate reissue. It is a change of mindset that I approve.

Sure. Not only it is some time apart, but also there were lessons learned from the Toy Shop re-release.
I just used it to illustrate that there might be reasons behind any decision that are not so easily understood by somebody who did not came in touch with corporate 'logic'...

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
For the challenge: The inspiration isn't flowing with the green box. i think i'll grab another...

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Going to sit Women of NASA out for now. Not interested in the free christmas set (gave the one of last year away too), and the price is too low for free shipping. Might grab it if I go to the Lego Store and they have some arround. Don't think this will fly of the shelves like Saturn V or Research Institute anyway.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any ideas what the new modular will be? With the reissue... I am going to guess green grocer or market corner rerelease... Ideas? Thoughts?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Any ideas what the new modular will be? With the reissue... I am going to guess green grocer or market corner rerelease... Ideas? Thoughts?

I feel like the Taj Mahal dropping from nowhere soaked up the announcement energy for at least a couple weeks. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if rereleases started happening.

There's no shortage of things they could do, though. Housing, post office,police station, library or book store, some kind of plaza or park for open space, office building, gym....

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering getting either the VW camper or palace cinema before they aren't available anymore but I told myself to only buy sets I really want, and I feel like I would only be getting these to "complete" my collection, which obviously would eventually result in me paying ridiculous prices for scalped modulars down the line. And then I would have to get the creator expert cars I'm not a huge fan of like the London bus...

So with that reasoning I don't really want to get them just for collecting, but at the same time I feel like I'll regret it years from now when they're like $300 or some shit. decisions decisions.

Oct 26, 2017
VW Camper is an awesome set on its own. I have that and the Beetle, I don't feel the need for the others.

Palace Cinema... nah, you can skip it if it doesn't really grab you.

I ordered two NASA sets by the way. I will build it and it won't stay up for long since I don't have a space for small vignettes. I'm definitely using the new faces. Hanging on to the second one just in case I need more.

Oh, and I just parted out Tower Bridge for a new moc. There's a ridiculous amount of parts and I didn't even open the small bags yet. But having all these neat parts means that I can be more creative with my moc rather than just pile up 1x8 bricks for walls.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty cool. Its called the pumpkin mech from chubbybots. I love his channel, he puts out a lot of cool designs.