• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I have two full sets (minus a few pylons) of the track from that old white and trans blue space set. Worth a few hundred, IIRC.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling that Winter Village set this year. Which is fine, since I never picked up last year's train station.

Also, for anyone who wanted the fishing shack, Walmart has it on sale.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm deciding between that and brick bank. Im at the point where if I get new sets I have to disassemble others so I gotta be careful.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm deciding between that and brick bank. Im at the point where if I get new sets I have to disassemble others so I gotta be careful.

OFS is an amazing good looking set (as display) but a simpler building (nothing really extraordinary in building technics). A favorite of mine, but also does not display well side by side other modulars, either you display it on a shelf or makes a beach for it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
OFS is an amazing good looking set (as display) but a simpler building (nothing really extraordinary in building technics). A favorite of mine, but also does not display well side by side other modulars, either you display it on a shelf or makes a beach for it.
Pretty much this. It looks amazing, but to achieve that look it uses a lot of repetitive and straight forward techniques. I didn't really enjoy building it, but love having it on display.

Brick Bank was a fun build (like every modular is), but is one of my least favourites in the looks-department.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I absolutely adore that Target Exclusive Coffee Shop that's coming out. I've been on the hunt for it ever since I saw the pic of it last week. None of the stores I visited had it. Bricklink said it was instock at most, typing the DCPI code into the price scanner usually said they couldn't find the item.

A guy at one of the Targets was nice enough to help me look and said they're not allowed to put them out until Sep 30th.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been window shopping for my annual big set and I was wondering: is the Parisian Restaurant soon getting retired? If so, I might jump on that (it would be my first modular).

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
The cinema went just over 4.5 years and Pet shop made it a bit over 5 years. Parisian came out Jan 2014 so currently at 4 years, 9 months. I would guess it is retired in January when the likely next modular releases.

It's also a fantastic set, so you won't be disappointed.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird feeling brick bank will retire this year instead of PR. It seems to fly under peoples radar and go on sale a lot. Not much enthusiasm for it.

Deleted member 8702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Walmart Canada put the Pet Shop and Palace Cinema on clearance in July of the year each set was retired. This year they haven't put any modular on clearance. Ghostbusters HQ and Silent Mary were put on clearance though.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I traded a Death Star without most of its figures for a complete silent Mary, I'm hyped to build that ship
Death Star cost me $70 too lol

Now I gotta sell bins of pieces to save up for hogwarts castle

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on an entry for the Bricklink AFOL Design Program. Here's the smaller of the two builds:

(The new Stud.io renderer is off the fucking hook.)

Yes the handle makes it go up and down

sFUbyoD.png

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BTW, will there be another building contest on ERA?
Missed the Brickheadz one because it wasn't available anywhere near me :(

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I know it is a WIND turbine, but it'd be really neat if they developed some sort of solar cell to power the thing.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Exterior complete. The lids hinge open and the front panels pop off easily so you can see the insides (still in progress)

wh6ZC3z.jpg

NN1uZ7p.jpg

The keys move (in groups of 2 or 3) which cause individual hammers to strike. The sustain pedal will lift a damper bar.

HMSpEeg.jpg

Now to buy some of the more unusual parts and mock some of this up in the flesh to make sure I ain't crazy...
(32L spiral poles from the carousel effectively limited this to 5 octaves of 6 studs each, compared to 7.3 octaves on the real thing)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exterior complete. The lids hinge open and the front panels pop off easily so you can see the insides (still in progress)

wh6ZC3z.jpg

NN1uZ7p.jpg

The keys move (in groups of 2 or 3) which cause individual hammers to strike. The sustain pedal will lift a damper bar.

HMSpEeg.jpg

Now to buy some of the more unusual parts and mock some of this up in the flesh to make sure I ain't crazy...
(32L spiral poles from the carousel effectively limited this to 5 octaves of 6 studs each, compared to 7.3 octaves on the real thing)
Wow, that is very impressive.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

wh6ZC3z.jpg

NN1uZ7p.jpg

HMSpEeg.jpg

Whowza, that is awesome!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is new. I did think Ideas would evolve into crowd funding at some time but it looks like they are using Indiegogo.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018...uct-line-lego-forma-hosted-by-indiegogo-news/

LEGO reveals new experimental product line LEGO Forma, hosted by Indiegogo

rtPjd8Q.gif

LEGO has revealed a new experimental product line designed for adults called LEGO Forma. The first wave of small-batch sets produced under the LEGO Forma line will be kinetic sculptures of fish, created with a moving Technic core and wrapped with four "skins" made of foil to represent three types of Koi and one shark.

The core set, 81000 Koi Model, contains 294 pieces including the Technic base and a single life-like koi skin. The model measures 10 inches high (27.9 cm) and 11 inches long (12.7 cm). The initial wave of LEGO Forma sets are available for pre-order on Indiegogo as "backer perks" from now until November 6th or whenever product runs out. The base set sells for $45 USD and is only available in the United States and United Kingdom for the time being. If the project meets its funding goals, the sets will ship in early 2019.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is the "Lego Forma" name referring to the crowdfunding approach, the idea of having realistically-moving creatures or the skin-wrap component?

This sentence from the project page makes me think it is a new line like Ninjago or City but I guess it can be interpreted as an approach - like Ideas.

LEGO FORMA mechanical models are cleverly designed but simple to assemble.

iosefe

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines

wh6ZC3z.jpg

NN1uZ7p.jpg

HMSpEeg.jpg

I need this

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the praise everyone :)
Y'all got me juiced up enough to actually order an assortment of parts to road-test the design and then fingers crossed it makes it through the selection process!

I'm going to submit a non-functional version too, with a lower part count and more robust construction (it's currently around 1,200 parts)

Nov 23, 2017
Y'all got me juiced up enough to actually order an assortment of parts to road-test the design and then fingers crossed it makes it through the selection process!

I'm going to submit a non-functional version too, with a lower part count and more robust construction (it's currently around 1,200 parts)
What's the actual size of it? Can you take a picture of it next to something for reference?

It's gorgeous.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
What's the actual size of it? Can you take a picture of it next to something for reference?

It's gorgeous.
The pics are actually renders! The new rendering engine in Stud.io is the absolute nuts.

It's 34 studs wide 12 studs deep and 23 bricks high, so about half the size of a small modular building. 27cm/10.5" wide, 22cm/8.5" high

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

I totally want to see a grand piano now!

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely stunning . Hope your project is selected.