• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone else miss the good old days when most Lego sets weren't licensed IP? Man I used to love all those old castle, pirate, space, and western sets. Sucks that all space sets are Star Wars and all the castle sets are Harry Potter these days.

(That said I'm totally picking up that crazy 6000 piece Hogwarts Castle set for my gf and that ultimate Mellennium Falcon for myself cause fuck it why the hell not.)
I'm sure they know what sells. Seems like a lot of the original runs (which do not have a TV show associated with them, e.g. Ninjago) don't sell like hot cakes.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna give my robot dude a giant gun. Might integrate a light brick into it and some clear bricks coming out of the barrell so it can have a muzzle flash effect.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Build the first bag of the Aston Martin. It's basically a technic build at this point with all the mechanisms layed out. The ejector seat mechanism is already complete and it's just Lego magic or something. (Too bad you don't build it in one go, so it's hard to admire how cool the system is).

I have a busy week ahead, so bag 2 will probably be for the weekend or even after.

Lol, posting this got the itch going. I finished my work for today somewhat quicker than anticipated,so I built the next 2 bags.

What a build this is. Just clever, cool stuf. Typical Psiaki too (locking loos bricks between others for instance), and those action features are very, very clever and cool. Yes it is a very expensive set, but shit, it will end up in my list of favourite Lego builds/sets.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys do with the set boxes when you're done building. I like the graphics and design and hate to just toss them but at the same time they take up tons of space.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
What do you guys do with the set boxes when you're done building. I like the graphics and design and hate to just toss them but at the same time they take up tons of space.

hoarded em for a while but eventually came to terms with the fact that I was really just hoarding and dumped em in the recycling. EDIT: and we stored em flattened.
it's nice to think of a day when we'd have a nerd-room with a wall paneled in modular building boxes, but if it ever happens it'll be plenty far away. i'll revisit the idea of turning the coolest sets' packaging into tacky wall art when my kids one day enter lego age brackets. it'll be 2030 and i'll still be talking about how monster fighters was the greatest theme ever and there aren't enough spooky sets.

except for the things like the architecture sets' decent little sturdy trays. we've got the boxes from a few skylines and maybe some other sets lying around as trays for pieces during builds, and one of them is the misc spare small parts bin as well.

oh snap do i make my halloween moc a silent-hill-ifying of my modulars or an Inverted Castle? hmm

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a problem but I try to fit smaller boxes inside of bigger boxes as much as possible, like russian dolls.

Worst case scenario you could open up both sides and then flatten them out, storing them flattened out on a pile.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
about what time in US should i start paying attention to shop.lego.com for the hogwarts castle dont wanna miss out.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

I flatten them out. An empty box on the shelf takes up way too much space as good as it looks.

Which leads to the one big conundrum of Lego, Lego storage. I have about 40 sets, half of which I've opened, but I still store them by set so the kids can build them easily.

I'm considering mixing them by theme now. Friends stuff together, City, Creator. That way its easier for them to build other things too.

Part of me wishes that Lego used reusable bags and made the box reusable so I could just put everything back in the box. But I get that, as collections get larger, that's not so great either.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else miss the good old days when most Lego sets weren't licensed IP? Man I used to love all those old castle, pirate, space, and western sets. Sucks that all space sets are Star Wars and all the castle sets are Harry Potter these days.

(That said I'm totally picking up that crazy 6000 piece Hogwarts Castle set for my gf and that ultimate Mellennium Falcon for myself cause fuck it why the hell not.)

Funny you say that, because I only get Friends/City/Creator(+Expert)/Classic.

The only licensed sets I have are Lego Disney Cinderella Castle, Lego Disney Elsa's Frozen castle.

Gotta say, I don't think those themes you listed would sell very well. Creator just got a pirate theme lite for the recent releases. That's probably the only way to sell them, as part of another line.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the DB5, and I absolutely love it. It looks way better in person than it does in pictures (though it suffers from blockiness compared to the real thing. Love the play features and the details as a Bond-fan, and the build is loaded with fun techniques (it's typical Psiaki, with clips making angles possible and lots of impressive Lego math where small builds tightly fit in an unexpected space).

The price is very high though, especially as a lot of pieces go into the mechanics (the first 'bag' is almost a Technic build because of this too). But that's probably due to 007 ànd Aston Martin tax combined. For that price I would've welcomed a row of decorative minifigs though, on a stand like the Ideas Ecto 1. Just the six bonds for instance. Another downside are some of the (few) stickers, who are pretty small and therefore a bit tricky to apply.

But overall, again an amazing Creator Expert car. Secretly one of the best lines Lego has imo. And I'd love them to do more movie cars. A Jurassic Park Explorer or Jeep, Expert delorian and/or Ecto, the Mustang from Bullit, ...

So was the Falcon and that was gone in seconds.

The Brothers Brick review is quite critical of Hogwarts in places, mainly around confusing degrees of scale, and stickers. STILL don't think it's done enough to stop me getting it though (when Double VIP is on).

True. But that's Star Wars and probably had less stock. Not to mention the fact the previous one is such an infamous (and valuable) set.

Going to wait on Jangs review, but I think I'll buy it eventually if I find the place (probably going to buy a new Ikea bookcase, as I'm out of space for regular sets too)

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I'm jelly of all the people getting the HP set.

When I'm 70+ and retired with lots of time and money, I'm just going to buy every damn set out there...

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I had another thought.

Do you guys think Lego is too easy with the instruction manual? Do you think they should release some sets with just a bunch of photos included in the box and let people figure it out? There's plenty of 3D puzzles that are like this. They could always put the set of instructions online as a PDF as like the 'solution' if they wanted to.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already up to bag 4 out of like...a thousand and its uh possible I underestimated how big this set is.

Really enjoying it so far though.

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017
I had another thought.

Do you guys think Lego is too easy with the instruction manual? Do you think they should release some sets with just a bunch of photos included in the box and let people figure it out? There's plenty of 3D puzzles that are like this. They could always put the set of instructions online as a PDF as like the 'solution' if they wanted to.
Granted, I've never done a 3D puzzle so I don't know how hard they are, but this would basically be impossible. Even some smaller set have pieces that are really hard to figure out where they go unless you look at the instructions, building a modular without instructions would be insane. Granted you might be able to approximate it, but not get it right. And there are plenty of videos and photos all around the web of most sets so you can always try it out if you would want.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Granted, I've never done a 3D puzzle so I don't know how hard they are, but this would basically be impossible. Even some smaller set have pieces that are really hard to figure out where they go unless you look at the instructions, building a modular without instructions would be insane. Granted you might be able to approximate it, but not get it right. And there are plenty of videos and photos all around the web of most sets so you can always try it out if you would want.

The advent calendar basically comes without instructions.

I think some of the smaller $5-$10 sets around 100 pieces would be doable.

Obviously the 2000 pieces+ stuff like the modulars would be the stuff of nightmares but you're right, anyone could just throw away the manual and go it alone based on photos/videos online.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize Hogwarts was already available! Going to have to pick that up at some point soon. Gotta finish some Technic stuff I have laid out on my building table, but once that's done, money will be spent.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
So was the Falcon and that was gone in seconds.

The Brothers Brick review is quite critical of Hogwarts in places, mainly around confusing degrees of scale, and stickers. STILL don't think it's done enough to stop me getting it though (when Double VIP is on).
star wars fans had a 20 year head start on that whole "grow up to have noteworthy income" thing compared to those of us whose childhoods were more heavily defined by HP

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
star wars fans had a 20 year head start on that whole "grow up to have noteworthy income" thing compared to those of us whose childhoods were more heavily defined by HP

And there's those of us who remember when space Legos meant badass triangular ships with a bunch of hoses and spacemen with helmets that broke if you so much as breathed on them

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
And there's those of us who remember when space Legos meant badass triangular ships with a bunch of hoses and spacemen with helmets that broke if you so much as breathed on them
think my first lego space set i can remember was some sort of mech. was there a mars themed wave? i seem to remember mars-ish packaging

Nov 23, 2017
I picked up the Hogwarts set on the first day. I also splurged and got my Disney Workd Castle set that I've been wanting for ages. I have all the other princess sets. And my friend had just bought the Ninjago city docks. So, we'll be building for some time.... and then there's that new crane on the technic set that looks awesome.

Fortunately for him, he lives alone and has the space to dedicate an entire bedroom to lego boxes. The built sets are all over the house. I'll have to take some pictures eventually to see if you guys can come up with some solutions.

Here's what's in the box. 37 bags and 3 bags of rock pieces. And least there's no duplicate numbers on bags.

6jGaor1l.jpg

1sthFW9l.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the castle was my gateway back into lego, it's genuinely phenomenal. I forever live in hope for more Disney icons in a similar scale. Haunted Mansion would be gorgeous!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yea... nope to Bespin

You would have figured with how poorly Hoth was received to not do Bespin. And people adore the battle of Hoth and that still was not well liked set.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yea... nope to Bespin

You would have figured with how poorly Hoth was received to not do Bespin. And people adore the battle of Hoth and that still was not well liked set.
At least Bespin is one set in stead of lots of little builds thrown together. They clearly went for a Death Star-type set, but it doesn't work out that well here, as you kind of miss the iconic shape of the city. Lots of dead, empty spaces it seems too.

One positive: it seems that this set has the same price troughout most of Europe. I hope it's an indication of things to come, and the end of Germany getting sets at 10 tot 20% lower prices than Belgium/France etc.

Won't be the case though :P

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the piece sizes are smaller, etc. but a $400 price point for Hogwarts makes it extremely tough to justify $350 for Bespin.