• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hogwarts is even better than I expected, the interior rooms look fantastic, especially the Sorcerer's Stone areas (chess board, key room, Snake).

This will probably have to be my 30th birthday present this year (only a month after the set comes out thankfully) or maybe Christmas. Hopefully I can convince my fiance to use my VIP account to get some points back.
I'd get it myself, but I literally just ordered Voltron the other day and I've been spending more on LEGO the first half of this year than I usually do.

Not sure what I'll do about the minifigs I'm going to want from the Great Hall and Whomping Willows sets. Not sure I can justify getting those full sets if I get the full Hogwarts set, I suppose I can do as many CMF's as I can and then Bricklink the rest I want.

I'm going to see if I can combine my great hall/whomping willow with the Vampyres Castle set I have boxed up somewhere and make a Castlevania display

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting into Lego as an adult was a mistake. Better start applying for a second job!

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Hogwarts is $650 Australian. It looks marvellous, and dare I say it, improved on the Disney Castle and that was incredible already.

I won't be getting it but Lego did a super job there. The price is a little high Australian side vs US price, but the price to part ratio is good.

Getting into Lego as an adult was a mistake. Better start applying for a second job!

This gets posted alot, but it can't be stated enough. Is there anyone out there who've purchased every big set recently? Do you build them and put them away? Do you mix all the pieces together? Do you leave them built? You'd need a pretty big room to put them all, and then the dusting...

Let's see this year - the big sets would have been Hogwarts, Roller Coaster, Bugatti, Crane, two trains, Ninjago City Docks, Y-Wing, Voltron, Mack Anthem, Downtown Diner, Millenium Falcon, DB5. Almost $3000 of lego.

Aside from the DB5, they have all been great. I wanted the trains badly, and I might still get them, but $400 for two trains is a lot. I can get way more tomica town and plarail for that money.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Since Brick Bank seems like one of the less popular modulars I didn't have especially high expectations going in, but the first floor and roof were both really fun to build. Second floor wasn't too interesting though.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to post my second haul last weekend, Order #2 of 2.

fqOHsQn.jpg

7VMk0bF.jpg

Thanks Target! And thanks computer glitches!

Wow. Somehow I missed all of this shit happening last week. Nice grab!

Related, I am closing in on halfway through the Arocs build. Thing is a LOT longer than I expected!

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how big it is in person.

Since Brick Bank seems like one of the less popular modulars I didn't have especially high expectations going in, but the first floor and roof were both really fun to build. Second floor wasn't too interesting though.

I liked it, I love the first floor. The laundromat is excellent, and fun little narrative idea of "money laundering" is hilarious and adorable. My favorite build was definitely the laundromat machines between the vault and the laundromat - that's an incredible section.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Still kicking myself that I didn't get any LEGO sets with that discount.

All I thought to get was a game preorder. :/

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I've been lurking this thread for a long time, I am a huge LEGO fan but as an adult I managed to restrain myself to a couple of SW and architecture sets, until I finally went for a Saturn V last year.

It was a really fun build and lately I've been thinking to entertain myself with an alternate build. Any idea on what I could achieve without resorting to other parts? So far I am leaning towards a nuclear-class submarine, as there should be a lot of similarities in the structure. I also thought about the space shuttle but I doubt I could nail the front part and the wings.
Thanks for any advice.

On another topic, I also ordered a Voltron set for myself and another one on behalf of a friend. Unfortunately he cannot afford it anymore (not now, anyway) so I am stuck with a double. Based on your experience what's the best option? Try to sell it to get most of my money back or sit on it and see if it will increase its value eventually?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It said LEGO was excluded on the coupon and since they were already canceling digital gift cards which were also excluded, I didn't even bother since I thought it wouldn't work. It was the first thing I planned on doing and was disappointed when I saw that exclusion. I wish I had known it worked for people.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I built Voltron today. He's really cool and very big . It was a really easy build, but still took 5 or so hours. I was all stiff when I got up from sitting Indian style on the floor hunched over Lego parts.

He's on my shelf in robot form next to the saturn 5 rocket, ghostbusters car, ship in a bottle and the mystery machine.

Now there's no more room for more legos!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Hey guys, I've been lurking this thread for a long time, I am a huge LEGO fan but as an adult I managed to restrain myself to a couple of SW and architecture sets, until I finally went for a Saturn V last year.

It was a really fun build and lately I've been thinking to entertain myself with an alternate build. Any idea on what I could achieve without resorting to other parts? So far I am leaning towards a nuclear-class submarine, as there should be a lot of similarities in the structure. I also thought about the space shuttle but I doubt I could nail the front part and the wings.
Thanks for any advice.

On another topic, I also ordered a Voltron set for myself and another one on behalf of a friend. Unfortunately he cannot afford it anymore (not now, anyway) so I am stuck with a double. Based on your experience what's the best option? Try to sell it to get most of my money back or sit on it and see if it will increase its value eventually?
Build them both and have Voltron on display next to the lions!

You can sell it for face value pretty easily. As for increase in value, all depends how many they make. NIB Lego Voltron will get your $179 back for sho

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My wife saw pictures of Hogwarts. As a huge Harry Potter, SHE told ME I had to get it to put on display.

That was easy.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my Voltron set. I really want to dive right in, but I'm heading out of town in a few days and might leave it till I get back.

It's tempting the hell out of me though. Sooo I'll probably start it tomorrow. lol

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Voltron seems to be staying in stock pretty well, right?

I've got it coming tomorrow, but I'm considering returning it and going for the Hogwarts set instead. I feel like since it's so large, Hogwarts will probably be a bit harder to keep in stock, especially with a HP movie coming out later in the year.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised they didn't cancel pre-orders.

It said LEGO was excluded on the coupon and since they were already canceling digital gift cards which were also excluded, I didn't even bother since I thought it wouldn't work. It was the first thing I planned on doing and was disappointed when I saw that exclusion. I wish I had known it worked for people.

I wasn't going to try it until people said the coupons were stacking. At that point I figured, well if the coupons aren't working correctly together, maybe they aren't correctly blocking LEGO.

My wife saw pictures of Hogwarts. As a huge Harry Potter, SHE told ME I had to get it to put on display.

That was easy.

2015.jpg

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Ordered the Garmadon shark mech thing while on sale, because... shark mech... and hotdog guy. Couldn't decide on the new Arkham Asylum. Anyone pick it up as a parts pack?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
surprised I managed a week without caving for Voltron. Once past that initial launch hurdle it increases my chances of never buying something or waiting on a sale (or 2x VIP)

Surprised not to see any pics though - do not many people have it yet?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ordered the Garmadon shark mech thing while on sale, because... shark mech... and hotdog guy. Couldn't decide on the new Arkham Asylum. Anyone pick it up as a parts pack?

Good choice on Shark mech. I have yet to put my TLBM Arkham together. I like the fig assortment but I always liked the looks of the previous Arkham Breakout set better. It does have some special printed pieces like the food pieces, I don't think the X-ray machine is a print..

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
71043_alt1.jpg

I think I am going to have to forget about Voltron, save up a little bit more and buy THIS!

£349 is an awful lot of money however, with over 6,000+ pieces, it is actually arguably the best price-per-piece set I have ever seen. The Millennium Falcon has 7,500 pieces, and goes for a comparatively insane £649...

This is an absolutely essential purchase for both LEGO and Harry Potter fans!

Fuck, I need this. Holy shit. It looks awesome.

New002

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, can you not return it?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well I just ordered a Voltron, my first Lego in quite a few years.

I used to make similarly sized robots as a kid with really hokey joint solutions with what was available at the time (pre-bionicle and ratchet joints) so I'm curious to see what they did.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that bluetooth Batmobile ended up being much cheaper than said/expected? It's $99 not $170. Can nab it off amazon for nearly 80 euro. That's not so bad.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
It's that time again... Walmart clearance time. >:D

Here's what I picked up:

70920 Egghead Mech Food Fight - $29.99 NOW $7.00 (whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?)
70923 The Bat-Space Shuttle - $79.99 NOW $35.00
70906 The Joker Notorious Lowrider - $49.99 NOW $19.00
70611 Water Strider - $29.99 NOW $11.00
70610 Flying Jelly Sub - $29.99 NOW $10.00
75196 A-Wing vs TIE Silencer Microfighters - $19.99 NOW $9.00
76085 Battle of Atlantis - $19.99 NOW $5.00

And here's what I saw but passed on (or already had...):

76087 Flying Fox Batmobile Airlift Attack - $129.99 NOW $65.00
76086 Knightcrawler Tunnel Attack - $49.99 NOW $25.00
70919 The Justice League Anniversary Party - $29.99 NOW $10.00 (hell, I picked this up when it was ~$20...)
31062 CREATOR Robo Explorer - $19.99 NOW $10.00 (bought when it first came out...)
41604-41607 Avengers Infinity War Brickheadz - $9.99 NOW $7.00 (I already had Thanos...)
75190 First Order Star Destroyer - $159.99 NOW $75.00
75179 Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter - $79.99 NOW $45.00
75534 Darth Vader - $39.99 NOW $20.00 (there were others of these on sale as well)
75195 Ski Speeder vs First Order Walker Microfighters - $19.99 NOW $9.00
75160 U-Wing Microfighter - $9.99 NOW $4.00 (bought at full price...)
75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter - $79.99 NOW $48.00 (I think this has been at that price for a while though...)
70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer - $29.99 NOW $15.00 (another set I paid full price for...)
70901 Mr. Freeze Ice Attack - $19.99 NOW $10.00 (ditto...)
70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery - $19.99 NOW $10.00
70900 The Joker Balloon Escape - $14.99 NOW $7.00
70913 Scarecrow Fearful Face-Off - $14.99 NOW $9.00
70609 Manta Ray Bomber - $29.99 NOW $17.00
70607 Ninjago City Chase - $19.99 NOW $9.00
70632 Quake Mech - $89.99 NOW $59.00 (I might keep an eye on this one, see if it goes lower...)

This was in-store, so YMMV. As for me, I'm set for a while I think unless they go down again on a few of those bigger sets.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I haven't even built my egg head mech yet (got it on sale at B&N a while ago), that price is crazy!

Im heading to Walmart for groceries in a few minutes, fingers crossed they have some deals at mine. I might be willing to get the Star Destroyer for that much of a discount.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Lego Voltron set................waiting for it to ship. Looking forward to building it while watching the latest season.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lego having a signing of the Harry Potter set on 15th August at the London store. I guess it's early release for VIPs then too?