• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
5. The Diner looks really bland...like almost theater-level bland (compared to something like French Restaurant or Assembly Square). Is there something I'm missing?

Bland? It's like neon pink and blue! It's not as good as the Parisian Restaurant or the Detective's Office, sure, but it's a really interesting build with plenty of "oh!" moments and there's some fun stuff going on inside. I liked it a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Lego have previewed another set ahead of the SDCC. No official set name or number has been given yet.

image-1.jpg

Screenshot_2018-07-17-11-17-23-1.png

Screenshot_2018-07-17-11-17-38-1.png

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
DiXvTsdW4AA4aZN.jpg
Brickset

DiX563dX4AEMdUD.jpg
New Elementary.

I really don't like it. It's so boxy and seeing it alongside the real thing shows a world of difference. I've no doubt it's full of great techniques but this Creator Expert vehicle line is really floundering.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaks volumes that the only curve they got even remotely correct is a sticker. Also missed opportunity to use pearl silver as a color. But a for effort in making it seem like that on the box.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
If the window piece was curved it wouldn't look so bad but I don't know if they have anything like that they could have used instead. That said even the bonnet looks iffy, not a big fan of their representation of the car at all.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real question is: If it's actually a James Bond branded DB5... does it have gadgets?

That would change my perception of it a lot.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Curves - and in particular gentle curves like that DB5 - are a lego weakness. They're a little crazy even trying.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Pulling off the subtle curves of the car would be a huge challenge, so it is a bit disappointing in that regard.
However, dem gadgets!
And it is a Mike Psiaki set, so you know the build will be aces.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
The elegant curves of the actual car are completely missing from the final model. The front of it just looks so bad to me. The backend looks a bit fat too.

The gadget are cool, and I'm sure the building techniques are good, but the final look is just not very good. Definitely the worst-looking Creator Expert car imo.

And that price. Yeesh.

Ferrari F40 - 1158 pieces - 99.99
Mini Cooper - 1077 pieces - 99.99
London Bus - 1686 pieces - 139.99
VW Beetle - 1167 - 99.99
VW Camper - 1334 - 119.99
Aston DB5 - 1295 pieces - 149.99

Which one of these is not like the others? Upwards of $30 premium for the 007 licensing...ugh.

I really hope they go back to non-film/tv licensed sets next year.

Since I own every licensed car they've put out across Technic, Speed Champions, Creator, etc. over the past several years I'll still buy this one I guess. Eventually. Wait for a 2X VIP promo at least or something.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah that really doesn't look too flash, especially for that price. Not like I was buying it anyway when Voltron is coming out.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the DB5 at the mall, was close to purchasing it but MrPickles' post made me think otherwise haha. $150 for that set is a little much, and I'm someone who splurged on the Technic 911 GT3 RS and Chiron. If it were at the F40 price point or even the camper, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. But 150 is a bit rough when Voltron is coming out on Monday.

MrPickles

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the DB5 at the mall, was close to purchasing it but MrPickles' post made me think otherwise haha. $150 for that set is a little much, and I'm someone who splurged on the Technic 911 GT3 RS and Chiron. If it were at the F40 price point or even the camper, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. But 150 is a bit rough when Voltron is coming out on Monday.

Ha! Yeah, I splurged on the Porsche and Bugatti sets as well, but the Bugatti actually has a solid price-per-part and the Porsche isn't super egregious. Once you factor in the upscale packaging and manual, the sticker shock makes sense.

There is no upscale packaging here. It's no different than an Ideas or Architecture set with the box/bound manual combo. I feel like we're literally just paying about $30 more directly to Eon or whatever.

The thing is I don't even have an axe to grind or anything, as I'll buy it later this year with a promo. It just frustrates me to see such a blatant price hike for film licensing that makes Star Wars seem like a bargain.

It'll be easier to swallow with 2x vip or one of the holiday promos I guess. I was going to say don't let me turn you off if you want the set, but if you want Voltron anyway, you might as well wait.

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017
About 6 months ago I picked up The Web Warriors Bridge Battle set on a sale for around 50€. I haven't been able to build it until now since because I've been out of the country since then. And after taking my time with build, about one bag a day, it is finally done. All I can say is: what a set! Super fun build, looks really good (although the cab look funny) and tons of play features for kids. Great set of minifigs as well. I feel that it actually works well as a display piece. Eventually I will tear it down for pieces as contains a good selection of bricks (also why I didn't put any stickers on), but for now I will let it be. Easily up there with the modulars I've built, and for the price I got it, probably the best purchase when it comes to Lego.
XmdByBA.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
England
76095 Black Manta Strike

76095_alt1.jpg

76095-1.jpg

It's a great little set, but looking at the other merchandise for the film, it will seem like a missed opportunity if this turns out to be the only Aquaman set.

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017
If they end up being available at other retailers you may be able to get 20%+ if you know how to look for deals.

Otoh, if u really want it now......

Oh ya, I guess I'm confusing Ideas stuff with exclusives, although I thought I remembered Hayabusa selling out fast. I guess Voltron is probably more likely to be available longer.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Might have considered the Bond car at that price if they'd included a full set of Bond minifigs (which is like 6, right?). Or even just as many likenesses as they could have gotten.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Greetings, LEGO ERA. It's been a while! I had managed to slow my LEGO purchases to a couple modular buildings a year until I get caught up, but the wife took me to the Nathan Sawaya exhibit at the local Science Center, and I'm dying to get something new to build. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper current sets. Preferably in the City or Creator line. Cheaper, meaning, $50 or lower. Thanks!

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017
Greetings, LEGO ERA. It's been a while! I had managed to slow my LEGO purchases to a couple modular buildings a year until I get caught up, but the wife took me to the Nathan Sawaya exhibit at the local Science Center, and I'm dying to get something new to build. Does anyone have any recommendations for cheaper current sets. Preferably in the City or Creator line. Cheaper, meaning, $50 or lower. Thanks!
I haven't bought it myself but I've been eyeing the Sunshine-surfer van from Creator. Should be in the price range and looks like a fun enough build.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Found that Kingsknight released PDF instructions for his 1:110 shuttle that didn't get selected through Ideas. It's an updated version that has some community inspired improvements to his original build.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/in...aturn-v-scale/&do=findComment&comment=2982304

While I'd like to simply wait for a new shuttle set since it would be cheaper and easier to buy, I really like that one and have no idea when Lego might do another one. So I might bite on picking up parts for that instead of another modular.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Found that Kingsknight released PDF instructions for his 1:110 shuttle that didn't get selected through Ideas. It's an updated version that has some community inspired improvements to his original build.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/in...aturn-v-scale/&do=findComment&comment=2982304

While I'd like to simply wait for a new shuttle set since it would be cheaper and easier to buy, I really like that one and have no idea when Lego might do another one. So I might bite on picking up parts for that instead of another modular.

Thanks.

But those dark orange pieces...

(I may build it all white one day)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

But those dark orange pieces...

(I may build it all white one day)

I'll probably do it in white, with the possibility of getting the pieces painted at some point. The tank was originally white anyway, so it's not like a white tank is bad or inauthentic.

Assembled the orbiter in Stud.io, with a couple super minor cost cutting adjustment that are mostly invisible and maybe saved a an estimated dollar, lol. Estimated bricklink cost is $74 but I guess it bases that on prices for new pieces, so going with some used could save quite a fair amount.

Angles/hinges can be such a pain in that program, tired of dealing with that so I'll do other parts later.

zte2eWR.png

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hi everyone, I would like to apologize beforehand if this is too off topic or not allowed. I had a brief stint where I got back into LEGO and only bought 3 sets and now I was looking to sell them. I was wondering if eBay was my best bet or if there is a site where collectors go to buy and sell older sets? Any advice would be appreciated.

Again, sorry if this isn't allowed.

KasumiYukari

Oct 28, 2017
I used to like a lot of the older lego sets like from the early 90's and late 80's but after building more recent sets, I look at them and am just annoyed with how simple and sparse they look, though it does motivate me to just build my own classic style sets instead.

Some of those sets still hold up though

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to like a lot of the older lego sets like from the early 90's and late 80's but after building more recent sets, I look at them and am just annoyed with how simple and sparse they look, though it does motivate me to just build my own classic style sets instead.

I didn't build any sets for over 15 years and just started doing so last year on a whim. It's a delight how detailed they are now.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Can you be more specific. Because I can't really see where you are coming from?
Try creator expert sets. But even regular cars and other sets are miles above old ones in detail.

KasumiYukari

Oct 28, 2017
Can you be more specific. Because I can't really see where you are coming from?
Try creator expert sets. But even regular cars and other sets are miles above old ones in detail.

I was talking about sets like this or perhaps this

I mean I still love the old space sets (especially the late 80's and 90's) but oof those builds are so barren and simplistic. Was looking at a few of the old space sets at a garage sale yesterday and it made me laugh at just how little was there. I'm probably also being a bit harsh too but I just find that a lot of these builds that I used to love when I was younger, I find a bit boring now.

Saying THAT, I will still go to my grave with those Ice Planet sets

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I got the DB5 because I'm a sucker, and I have to say, it really is quite an enjoyable build with many great techniques and a great looking end product. I realize that its a bit boxy compared to the real DB5, but there's only so much you could do while maintaining the play features of the set. Yeah you would think that they shouldn't have done it without the features to make it a more realistic set, but then it just wouldn't be a Bond DB5 set. I can see where the sacrifice was made to include these features.

Overall, I'm happy with the set and I'm glad I got it. It was a ton of fun to build.

Qb8E9J5.jpg

jLr6qbY.jpg

OrM5UBt.jpg

hBUjisY.jpg

iYn6fJM.jpg

mrO5Fkz.jpg