• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

LEGO® Star Wars™ Skywalker Saga | Official LEGO® Shop GB

Play through all nine movies in LEGO® Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga available on all consoles. Discover the fun-filled adventure, releasing 5 April 2022

50e7fb7458e19805443181480c3b8696.jpg

Personally hoping this is a mistake as it seemed like the devs were pretty confident in this year.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its strange its taken them this long to put out a lego game, they used to pump out one or two of them a year

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, one one hand the site has had wrong info before. The pricing for the NES kit was wrong for a little bit. But on the other hand, son of a bitch!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Darn, once again I'll be one of the five people to put it on my "most anticipated" list at the end of this year

Though honestly I kinda expected it, and really it's appreciated in a way. I want it to be the best Lego game ever and it definitely has the potential.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Poor Switch. It's losing its fall games one by one to 2021 while the lineup is very stacked for Xbox and PS4. What did it do to deserve this?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My Switch doesn't get much use anymore, and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. Hopefully the game turns out to be good.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this was a given honestly. We're near the end of the year and we still hadn't seen any gameplay (yes I know it's at Gamescom tomorrow). I'd have been shocked if it still released this year.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its strange its taken them this long to put out a lego game, they used to pump out one or two of them a year

When they started to add better physics/effects and voice them like bigger budget games they made their job that much harder. Plus open worlds.

Not sure why they did all that to be honest. I was a big fan of the more nuanced, linear games lol

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm okay with this. It's good that they're not rushing this out to hit a date like some other studios that produce annual titles have been forced to do.

Selfishly it gives my kid and I more time to wrap up a couple of the LEGO games we still have uncompleted.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
When they started to add better physics/effects and voice them like bigger budget games they made their job that much harder. Plus open worlds.

Not sure why they did all that to be honest. I was a big fan of the more nuanced, linear games lol
They still pumped them out fairly regularly even with voice acting and the open world hubs. They released at least 2 or even 3 a year up until 2018.

The reason this one is taking longer is that they're actually changing up the structure quite a bit (open world universe with planets you can explore at will across different time periods, at least I think thats what they said from previews).
It's also going to have 9 movies of content at minimum (it'll probably also have Solo, Rogue One, and who knows, maybe even TV Show stuff like Mandalorian and Clone Wars), which is more than they've ever had in a single game before. Maybe some of that will be DLC later I wouldn't be surprised.

The devs taking their time with this one is a really REALLY good sign IMO. The Star Wars ones were always my favorite, so if they can take all the time they need.

Still hope it makes it out this year, but if LEGO is already listing it as 2021, then it's probably not likely.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They still pumped them out fairly regularly even with voice acting and the open world hubs. They released at least 2 or even 3 a year up until 2018.

True, I just meant the overall ramping up has finally caught up to them. I don't personally need all that, but that's just my opinion, and I don't know that the bulk of the target audience was really asking for that either. What I mean to say is, I'd prefer twice as many levels over having explorable planets, since we're only getting 5 per episode.

That being said, I am looking forward to this and hope it works out for them.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
True, I just meant the overall ramping up has finally caught up to them. I don't personally need all that, but that's just my opinion, and I don't know that the bulk of the target audience was really asking for that either. What I mean to say is, I'd prefer twice as many levels over having explorable planets, since we're only getting 5 per episode.

That being said, I am looking forward to this and hope it works out for them.
I get you. I think this game in particular is going a lot extra compared to their normal output because they tend to treat the Star Wars games as the next big game.

Like LEGO Star Wars 3 was the first one they updated the engine for, which let them have bigger hubs, tons of enemy units in screen, and more impressive set piece moments.

I think they're also putting more work into getting the Switch version working well too.
Their games sell really well on Switch so I think this is the first Switch version they aren't just doing a quick downport from the PS4/XB1/PC versions, or at least the first one theyre going the extra mile on.

I think they like to mix things up a little with their games just to keep them fresh. They've put out a LOT of these games, so they probably feel the need to add something unique to them. The recent Batman Villains one let's you create your own villain, Star Wars 3 had a Lite RTS mode, etc.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, I was really looking forward to this game, especially after seeing the closed door demo at E3 last year. It looked really, really fun. I'm still hoping it'll manage a holiday 2020 release, but it's not like I have a shortage of games to play in the meantime!

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Oh man. I hope it comes out when there's not too much else. I really loved the first Lego Star Wars game, but the first two have not aged well. Especially compared to more recent titles.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
This is disappointing...Crash 4 may honestly be the only game I end up buying for the rest of the year 😅

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will give them time to create next-gen versions.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If nothing else, it gives people more time to forget how bad the sequel trilogy was

I enjoyed the sequel trilogy lol

I mean, Rise was entertaining and watchable, even if it had some really, really dumb narrative decisions. I love Rey, Finn, and Poe too much to dismiss the trilogy outright. My hope is that perhaps it will get The Clone Wars treatment, and there will be an animated series that really capitalizes on the setting (I don't like the prequel trilogy, although RoTs is the most watchable of the 3, but The Clone Wars animated series really made me love and appreciate the prequel era in a way the films didn't).