• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They could have at least reduced the mana cost of Unyielding Spirit for the new change. I know this card had to be changed because it's the ultimate feels bad card to play against.

The Plunder change is mostly a buff for Freljord. Good to see Merchant get nerfed though.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Nab change is the worst direction they could've taken it imo. Actually buffed vs most decks except Freljord because it doesn't allow the opponents to draw champs more frequently. Doesn't address the *actual* feelsbad aspect of playing around 2 decks' worth of answers and instead only addresses the monkey brain feelsbad aspect of getting your draw "stolen".

Aside from that, cool buffs all around. Don't estimate Jae, because a 2m reduction on a combo/engine card can be ace.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody who thought Anviia was bad in for fun decks hasn been playing ranked too much. Anivia feasts in unranked.

I'm very happy about most of the changes. Even the Dredge dreger nerf was warranted.

Goodbye Unyielding bullshit.

The one change that makes me sad is how poro decks will work now. Poro herder becoming a 4 mana unit fundamentally changes how you consider making these decks in a way that I'm sure will restrict regional experimentation.

Changing Braum to make it the go to on curve 4 mana card is a bad idea.

For any other Freljord deck I'm ok with the Braum change even though I prefer he remained 0/5 unit that gained +2 defense on level up but for poro decks it was a bad idea to make him the 4 mana unit over poro herder.

That Miss Fortune card back is so good I most likely will get it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Plunder/Snatch is probably going to get changed again in the future once people complain again.

So Heimer/Vi going to be best deck again?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demacia is now trash tier. Unyielding Spirit nerf + only one buff for a 6 mana card that's still worse than Cithria + tons of Freljord buffs, with Freljord as a region generally countering Demacia = Demacia is in the gutter now.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad they didn't follow up the Karma nerf with a Heimer nerf. One day.....

Braum change is something.

What kind of price tag is 1332 coins? Typical fake currency dumbfuckery.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I understand most of the changes. Was Unyielding Spirit really that much of a problem? Maybe for the design of future cards but that hurts.

Honestly, maybe because I've played too much, I am ready for new cards and a real meta shake-up.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
I hope devs aren't listening to the community too much. Some cards disproportionately feel worst to play against, doesn't mean they need to be nerfed.

Gauntlet mode coming, should be increasingly fun with more interesting rules. First gauntlet should be full of meta decks, even with the patch.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh I totally overlooked the Gen buff. I actually liked her a lot beforehand, BBG experimented with swapping Cithria out for her in some builds and I liked how useful she was defensively. Psyched to use her more

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
fuck the Spider Swarm AI, EVERY SINGLE TIME i go to test a deck against AI if the Spider Swarm ai is picked i lose 90% of the time b/c it just HAPPENS to have the exact cards it needs to stop me from doing anything or prevent it from having a leveled up Elise out. just a waste of time of trying to test a deck

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I totally overlooked the Gen buff. I actually liked her a lot beforehand, BBG experimented with swapping Cithria out for her in some builds and I liked how useful she was defensively. Psyched to use her more
Buffed Gen feels SO much better. Still not Cithria levels of pure power, but now I don't feel like garbage playing her on turn 6.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Wish when they reset Ranked status of players that they would give people a sort of bonus rank amount depending on where they ended last season.

That way all these clearly high ranked players and their strats would stay out of the lower tiers.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm fully back at disliking the game.

Can't find anything in this developing meta that doesn't lead to frustration.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
There are some truly infuriating combos in this game.

This was played on me just now. I went from 19 health to 0, immediately.

I feel just fucking drained at all this bullshit...
Card games suck.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
There are some truly infuriating combos in this game.

This was played on me just now. I went from 19 health to 0, immediately.

I feel just fucking drained at all this bullshit...
Card games suck.
I mean card games don't suck, you suck at playing them. That's an extremely avoidable and telegraphed combo. Id your opponent drops a Dreadway in any deck it's saying "kill me now or you lose next turn" and at 9 mana you should have an answer. You walked into it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
As someone who played a lot of Magic back in the day, I love the "Color Comparisons" guide in the second post.

I'm curious, because the guide hadn't been updated - what color(s) would people say the Bilgewater Region is closest to?
I'd say probably black/red. They have burn, weenies, mill, debuffs, removal. They've also got a little bit of draw and spell synergy.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I mean card games don't suck, you suck at playing them. That's an extremely avoidable and telegraphed combo. Id your opponent drops a Dreadway in any deck it's saying "kill me now or you lose next turn" and at 9 mana you should have an answer. You walked into it.
Fuck off with this shit.

I had done my attack that turn, there was literally nothing in my hand or deck that could have done anything to stop it. He played that, ended the turn, was his Attack next one, played Ledros, game over in two sequentially played cards.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Fuck off with this shit.

I had done my attack that turn, there was literally nothing in my hand or deck that could have done anything to stop it. He played that, ended the turn, was his Attack next one, played Ledros, game over in two sequentially played cards.
Yeah... you fucked up by attacking and not leaving mana/options open. If you watch good players you'll notice they leave mana open to answer cards like this. They'll open pass to force the opponent to play big cards like that first. And I f you're playing a deck that goes to turn 9 that doesn't have answers to units then it's a bad deck. Not to mention this particular combo can be interrupted. You can deny Ledros. You can remove Dreadway with Fast speed stuff.

Don't tell me to fuck off because you lost to a basic bitch combo. All you do is complain non stop about losing to scrub stuff. If you put the energy you put into crying and raging over losing into actually getting better and improving you might have actually been able to climb yourself out of the gutter rank. But you'll never get better because you don't actually want to learn, you want to blame everyone but yourself for your failures. If you actually the think the game is bullshit then quit playing it.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I climbed to Diamond 2 last season and just lost steam about 2 weeks before this reset. Anyone else not feeling the ladder at all? Rank rewards are a bag of nothing (lol icon). Eternals rank rewards, and their rewards in general were really well done from what the card games I have played.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely got hit by the Dreadway + Ledros combo starting out as well. Mostly because I didn't know this combination was even possible. Most 8+ mana cards are game enders... hell even a 7 mana They Who Endure can be game ending. Probably my biggest killer is Atrocity... always try to play around it but then they just squeeze it out at the most unexpected time and sometimes you just need to play as if they don't have it because you are going to lose anyway with a big threat on board.

Saving mana for your responses against threats and big spells is crucial to this game and very different from other games. You can't play cards on curve and hit face most of the time. You always want to be the last person taking an action in this game and be responding rather than being the one asking the question. It's actually good play sometimes to pass a turn without playing anything or using a majority of your mana if you are anticipating certain cards. This just comes from experience and learning what decks/cards can do.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I climbed to Diamond 2 last season and just lost steam about 2 weeks before this reset. Anyone else not feeling the ladder at all? Rank rewards are a bag of nothing (lol icon). Eternals rank rewards, and their rewards in general were really well done from what the card games I have played.
The fact that the best looking icon was for Gold rank made it really unappealing to climb, you an uglier reward for ranking up wtf is that

TBH between that and the Pilfer they feel more Red/Blue.
Yeah I was gonna say Blue third

it's not an easy one to classify

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
To me, ranked modes have always been about personal achievement. Really couldn't care for collectibles that I'd feel pressured into pursuing tbh.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the best looking icon was for Gold rank made it really unappealing to climb, you an uglier reward for ranking up wtf is that

Haha yeah I think it did die off when those icons were revealed.

To me, ranked modes have always been about personal achievement. Really couldn't care for collectibles that I'd feel pressured into pursuing tbh.

Eternal provided packs and cards from Constructed and Draft ranks. I know Runeterra is already considered quite generous, but it's all strapped to the Region track rewards and Vaults. After dailies and bonus pvp experience, Ranked/Normal gets you the most experience. However, it feels extra grindy just for experience points and an icon. I don't see the harm in adding extra incentive to climb. I'm at a point where I have all champs and commons, but quite far away on completing rares and epics.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Went 0-2 in my first gauntlet run. Forgot to improve my 1 deck cost minion and didn't draw the 4-3 plunder minion, which carries this deck.

4-2 in my second run with Vlad/Braum. My first loss was against an Anivia/Braun deck and my second against a burn deck with elusives(should have won this one but missplayed). Is the later deck the new burn? Fun...

Still prefer to play against aggro than control.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I got the Gauntlet on my second try. Used Yoink Sejuani (don't have 3 Sejuani's so I also had a Gangplank in there). I actually only found Sejuani in one game, and somehow I got Gangplank in almost every single one. I actually got enough from the bonus xp at the end to reach a Champ Capsule on my Freljord track...and lo and behold I got my 3rd Sejuani. But I don't think I'm gonna switch Gangplank out, he came in clutch so many times during the gauntlet!

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Any insights into control strategies in this game? First season I ran a burn deck to save up shards and wild cards and now I have enough to build a couple decks.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Any insights into control strategies in this game? First season I ran a burn deck to save up shards and wild cards and now I have enough to build a couple decks.

There's not as many pure control as opposed to combo decks that stall to late game and finish you with kill combos, because why play control late game when you already have enough mana just to win outright? Going through swim's list here... https://www.swimstrim.com/runeterra/decks-and-meta

Any Ezreal or Karma deck is a combo/control deck, for example https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bps5g2tp8n70c5nhr6bg
There's also Keg Control https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/brpb7rhla4s47cjs5160, Hemer Vi https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqnrot9la4s8qc3355cg and Yasuo Control https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/brau8d5bunqbjlr03n70 which are decks that can also win around late midgame.

Heimer Vi is arguably one of the best decks right now, so build that if you're unsure.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been having fun with gaunlets, pretty nice to eventually have different ways to play there.

do we know if every gauntlet will be free or just this one because of the trial? I really liked that they were free

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
I had a rough start with the gauntlet by losing twice in a row on my first try... but I eventually reached the 7 wins on my third try with my trusted Yasuo/Swain deck 😌

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I'm utterly convinced Expeditions is AI balanced and it's an exercise in futility on Riots part. Seriously, what kind of offer is Anivia and 2 Battle Furys?

I had a rough start with the gauntlet by losing twice in a row on my first try... but I eventually reached the 7 wins on my third try with my trusted Yasuo/Swain deck 😌

Oh, got a deck code? I love the arch type and have been trying a few things with it myself.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Went 5-2 with MF Scouts then 7-3 with Yasuo/Katarina. Some of those wins with Yasuo I pulled out of my ass including top decking a Deny to cancel out an opponent Decimate.

Not really much rewards for playing and doing well in this. Feels like an alternate Ranked mode at best (which I am already not a huge fan of).

More interested when they make these with rule changes. Most people just brought their aggro net decks to this.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Went 0-2 in my first gauntlet run. Forgot to improve my 1 deck cost minion and didn't draw the 4-3 plunder minion, which carries this deck.

4-2 in my second run with Vlad/Braum. My first loss was against an Anivia/Braun deck and my second against a burn deck with elusives(should have won this one but missplayed). Is the later deck the new burn? Fun...

Still prefer to play against aggro than control.
Yes, Elusive Burn is the new Burn Aggro. Been using one for gauntlet to make the 7 wins in a fast way.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I like Gauntlet, it's far lower stress than ranked and it's a good mode to feel good about yourself. Plus they are going to introduce deckbuilding restrictions after this one.

At platinum there's still a good range of decks, so I really don't mind if everyone just started playing elusives so I can just use an anti-elusive deck instead of playing more rock paper scissors.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Got 7 wins with my Sleight of Hand deck. While the Merchant nerf absolutely hurt, what actually hurts the deck more is Braum's viability. Luckily, no one was running it in the Gauntlet, so I got to clean house against aggro and Yas/Swain.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Got to Diamond playing Swim's Kinkou Elusives, it's funny how near the end of the climb it kinda gets easier because less people are try harding at the bottom of the next rank, so you get to play against less optimized deck.

That deck is really damned good though, no joke. It beats most burn and midrange, and there's not even people playing control to be an issue. I wonder if it's because of Swim's semi-hiatus over the last month or two made his deck not pick up steam as much yet, or maybe because there's just people caring because near the end of the rising tides meta. Playing that deck makes me appreciate how crazy omen hawk is. I feel like my chances of winning increases by like 50% if I get to play it the first turn.

Speaking of which, super excited to see new card teases soon for the set in August. Rising Tides gonna be a tough act to follow.

Now that I'm at diamond I'm gonna spend some time tuning my own deck a bit more. I've made some adjustments to the overwhelm deck since so it's less all in at winning turn 5-7, but can still hold pretty well later. So far it's doing well against burn with the tarvernkeepers, does decentlyl at sweeping elusives with ember maiden and voiding their chump blockers with overwhelm, and also techs well against damage-based control like p&z and anivia decks because of scarthane and crimson disciple. Making their damage and aoe spells really painful to use. Culling Strike is also great in this deck because it counters low attack high health units like Braum and Thresh that prevents your overwhelm lethal while removing really good units. Really like it so far. Ruination tends to feel really unsalvageable though because of the setup required and lack of draw.

lor.mobalytics.gg

G2 Karl Marx’s match history and decks for LoR

See the latest match history and best decks crafted by G2 Karl Marx for Legends of Runeterra.

Things I'm less sure about is the top end of Kato and Ursine. I think either of them are better than Darius in this deck, but Sejuani may be better as a finisher even though this deck is never going to level her up, but 5 mana is still such a big advantage over 6 mana, so hard to make the change. Shared spoils may be another consideration, but feels like it may slow the deck too much because once you start doing damage to the opponent, you already want to finish him off.