• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ok maybe every caster shouldn't be like "I am sooo excited to be here, I cannot wait for the match, this is going to be amazing" every single match

Alan lost to the hat-guy. EU is cratering... Don't trust another polish player to do well.

Oct 27, 2017
When Mogwai/Panda aren't casting, I am watching either BBG or lobser. Sorry Casanova, Preak or Amazonian, you might be great for the equivalent of Dota newbie stream, but not for me.

Alan's favorite champions is Karma, the friendship has ended. I hope he loses!

Swim saying this is the best meta and... I don't see it that way. I think the stacking of Dravens, Nami and Gangplank is overwhelming the game. We got singular decks (One Thralls, One Shen/Jarvan, One Darkness, and that second polish player brough some funky shit).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Most of these World Champ games are on while I'm asleep, I'm so out of the loop

Any particular matches worth watching yet or should I wait for Finals

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Dang, why'd it have to be Bae or Szychu?? Why'd you throw that first set Bae? :(

Most of these World Champ games are on while I'm asleep, I'm so out of the loop

Any particular matches worth watching yet or should I wait for Finals
Anything with Szychu and Yamato. Day 2 in general has had way more deck diversity in general.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Day 2 was a lot better than day 1. Crazier games, more type of decks, closer sets and drama all the way to the end.

Feels bad for Majinbae but Sychu winning with the crazy FTR, Heimer line up.

And this isn't the best meta, Swim just shilling for Riot. Lost Soul decks, Nami, Poppy BC decks clear shoulder above rest. They are virtually tier 0 decks. Kevin LoR misplaced like crazy and still won his set because he was playing OP decks.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
And this isn't the best meta, Swim just shilling for Riot. Lost Soul decks, Nami, Poppy BC decks clear shoulder above rest. They are virtually tier 0 decks. Kevin LoR misplaced like crazy and still won his set because he was playing OP decks.
If it's not the best meta, I do think it's close. I do agree those individual cards need a tap, but we're seeing the meta still continue to shift around them. Stuff like Rubin's burn, I've had lowkey success with my own FTR brew, and so forth. Yes, the meta is warping around Lost Soul value and Nami elusives, but with the increase in interaction, I find them manageable to a degree. Certainly not Azirelia T0 and certainly not unwinnable with some hands. I think T0 gets bandied around way too much. These decks are your garden variety T1.

All yall need is for Hush to come back and it answers almost everything. The only reason it hasn't because there's not a ton of reason to play Targon outside of Nami.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Swim's ideal meta: Targon worst region and Elusives rain Supreme. He also always had a hard on for Draven decks. Onky things that needed is for Fiora to be in the meta.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Swim's ideal meta: Targon worst region and Elusives rain Supreme. He also always had a hard on for Draven decks. Onky things that needed is for Fiora to be in the meta.
Aggro, degenerate combos and alt win cons? That's my fucking dream baby

Like I mentioned, Bandle City (and Bandle Tree) are like my favorite region (and card) because they can be all three

but also as I mentioned... I think Draven gotta go down to 2HP, he's consistently been top tier in... every meta? Discard definitely needs to get a nerf or two, everyone saw this coming

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Chip. These stinky free Poros don't match the poor people's board. Chip is perfect, even though some dragons are flashier, the default board is his home.

Rooting for EU, but it is whatever tournament at this point. I haven't played LoL for years, but I have a much MUCH higher interest in watching some players or teams succeed.

Even watching broadcast I am bored seeing almost every hero with default skins. I saw a Draven and Zoe skin, and it is as good as it gets because meta and champion-with-skins barely overlap.

Literally no level-up skins on the broadcast, perhaps there was a zed deck or something with the dark-star skin, but it is irrelevant, I didn't see it. Spice things up, come on! Esports are part of the marketing...

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Great set illustrating how interactive Zoe/Nami still is. It's not just "can't block elusives, op". Both games dealt with removing the threats through interaction and not just aggroing it down. Obv still a top tier deck, but not T0 material.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Great tournament so far, a bit surprising to see the disparity in play cleanliness so far, but also probably the same reason why there's a decent variety of decks. Definitely best players in the grand finals so well deserved.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Two great players with interesting line ups in finals. I am 100% fine with this top 4.

Darkness still undefeated btw.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That 3rd place match was hilarious.

Mogwai and Swim casting for Grand Final!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a Sivir attack so many times and not win. Removing everything except Sivir so Alan can't play another is too big brain.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
No catalyst or veigar in r1.

Less than 20% of drawing 1 of 2 flashbombs and then 25% of hitting dreadway in r2.

Missing allegiance with something like 10% chance in r3.

Oof.

Oct 27, 2017
Dont get why he didn't Parley to the nexus, to get the guaranteed freeze. Yes you couldn't have won with that alone, but it would have forced Alan to block with 0 attack units, and even using all his combat tricks wouldn't have been enough to kill Sej.

Explanation needed, why would you attack all-out with Zap even though your opponent had the chance to kill zap last turn, and chose to let it live?

Ultimately, I am happy Alan won. EU delivered in the end, NA not even on the podium. Heh... without Lobster or BBG, this is a good outcome.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
lol I woke up to the first thing in the Finals was Alan being declared champ. the most boring player, yay (he's good, just boring lol). I'll watch the VOD later, just getting that emote last minute.

Swim and Mogwai getting to cast together is nice

e: this victory speech is the first time I've seen Alan show positive emotion

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Alan played really well. I feel like Yamato matched him perfectly. The pass mechanics were insane here. I feel like Yamato does a better job of flexing between value and tempo, but it's close.

Dont get why he didn't Parley to the nexus, to get the guaranteed freeze. Yes you couldn't have won with that alone, but it would have forced Alan to block with 0 attack units, and even using all his combat tricks wouldn't have been enough to kill Sej.

Explanation needed, why would you attack all-out with Zap even though your opponent had the chance to kill zap last turn, and chose to let it live?
Because Alan could chump and then win next turn. He needed to save the Parley for stopping development next turn. Could also bluff the last card being a trick, affecting blocks. His only out was assuming there was no Sharpsight. If it was there, you lose regardless.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That grand final match was super high level but Yamato definitely got the short end of some RNG strings.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Won Gauntlet with Akshan/Sivir, Draven/Caitlyn and Darkness. Draven/Caitlyn dropped a game against Ez Karma, otherwise smooth run. I chose this line up to be strong into Zoe Nami (and ban the Noxus/PnZ decks) but only fought against one.

Oct 27, 2017
Comparing MTG Competitive games to Runeterra... What a fucking joke MTG is. So many games in MTG are lost against mana-distribution.

At least 50% of the games aren't close or interactive there. Someone just gets to play on-curve making no decisions, while another player is robbed of decision making because either too few, too many or wrong-color lands. What an exciting esport!

In Runeterra, every single turn (with an exception of 1-2) players have multiple options to play, and have to make decisions considering both their own strategy and opponents. And with mana-banking, even missing those first turns doesn't punish you tempo wise.

Limited is another story, Runeterra gets clobbered by MTG Draft, and I have lost any hope that Runeterra can be anything more than just this 1vs1 Constructed Experience (and maybe that roguelite mode). Expeditions, most LABS, 2vs2, AI games/Challenges are all either bad or underdeveloped.

This was a factual observation (EU losing) after the first day and first round of second day. Only one EU player made out in day 1, day 2 Eu players lost their match 1.

But... part of the territory when making predictions (not trusting Scyrzu), I think lobster is a better player even if he didnt quality. I am just glad NA lost, dunno why, something of the habbit to laugh at NA when they sit in their own league in LoL, and then get beaten like bronze scrubs in international competitions.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Swim's commentating is top-notch and Worlds was fantastic. The sheer concentration this game demands makes it thrilling to watch. Really hope Riot sticks with this and sorts out the issues that affected the organization of Worlds, they really have something special here.
I really liked all the commentators except Casanova, their reactions and hair are just too much

Won Gauntlet with Akshan/Sivir, Draven/Caitlyn and Darkness. Draven/Caitlyn dropped a game against Ez Karma, otherwise smooth run. I chose this line up to be strong into Zoe Nami (and ban the Noxus/PnZ decks) but only fought against one.
Thank you for the reminder that I should do the Gauntlet

wonder if I should try a more tournament style lineup or just triple aggro like I'm comfortable with, most gauntlets are like three people running casual lineups and a 4th person try harding

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what's next patch wise for LoR? We don't have a short term schedule past World. We are due for a new content patch this week because the event pass expires in 3 days.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's next patch wise for LoR? We don't have a short term schedule past World. We are due for a new content patch this week because the event pass expires in 3 days.

This is a false assumption because Battle-Pass in LoR isn't a regular thing. We had a 6 weeks gap before. September + October will be a very dry season in LoR, and then somehow 2? events in November?... One of those events is a k-pop event, 100% willing to bet 1000 coins with anyone.

I don't know, something is not working out compared to LoL/Valornat, those games have much better content/BP/skins deployment.

Da roadmap
5qdk06yh8sd71.jpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't know, something is not working out compared to LoL/Valornat, those games have much better content/BP/skins deployment.
I don't know why you keep comparing Runeterra, a game 1/20th the size, to stuff like that

LoL's content pipeline has 12 years of maturity and a drastically larger team

LoR is doing fine for a game that's spent the majority of it's public life in a pandemic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you keep comparing Runeterra, a game 1/20th the size, to stuff like that

LoL's content pipeline has 12 years of maturity and a drastically larger team

LoR is doing fine for a game that's spent the majority of it's public life in a pandemic

Because it is the same company that makes LoL, LoR and Valorant.

And if I see LoL getting 6 skin collections (LoR basic skins are literally a 2D drawing, outsourced to an illustration company), Valorant with their fixed industry standard BP roadmap despite releasing AFTER LoR, I gotta question why is Runeterra lagging behind?

LoL's content pipeline has always been good, it just changed over years. It was even faster early on in S2. It was championanza, reaching top speed of two heroes per month, every hero launching with 2 skins (later got changed to 1 more elaborate skin).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am still hoping for something this Wednesday, probably their explanation of the new balance patch cadence.

October 10th will at least have a significant balance patch so that's something to look forward to in October. November seems like the big month.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this meta still has room to grow. And if not grow, it's still pretty enjoyable. Would welcome another month before patch, but the sooner they communicate their new plans, the better.

Why are we still equating not enough monthly cash sinks = bad/ded game? It's tiring.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take this bet! I don't think either of them will be k-pop related.

Lets formalize the bet.

One of the November events (PVE, Mega Pass Event, Themed Event), will be related to the k-pop/musical universe (KDA, True Damage, New Pop-Music Band).

This musical/kpop related-ness includes either:
• Themed cards (Pack your bags etc.)
• Emotes
• Skins

There will be no straw splitting what exactly is K-pop, as long as it is part of the pop-music universe whether korean or international pop band.
In the case there is no reward-track "Event", but musical skins/emotes/cards deploying without its own dedicated "Event" track, I am still to be victorious.

If you win, I will get you the $10 RP code from amazon, because I assume you are from US. In the case I win, it is a bit more complicated because I am the Europeasant, but rest assured I would find a way that would not be more than $10.

Are these acceptable conditions?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Mogwai dropped a Yamato Darkness video, it really is a fun deck

and yeah I feel there's definitely still room for the Meta to grow. Only changes I'd care for are discard and Bandle getting minor nerfs (okay and the Noxus/Bilge burn package but I've loved always having Pirate Burn)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Lets formalize the bet.

One of the November events (PVE, Mega Pass Event, Themed Event), will be related to the k-pop/musical universe (KDA, True Damage, New Pop-Music Band).

• Emotes
• Skins

There will be no straw splitting what exactly is K-pop, as long as it is part of the pop-music universe whether korean or international pop band.
In the case there is no reward-track "Event", but musical skins/emotes/cards deploying without its own dedicated "Event" track, I am still to be victorious.

If you win, I will get you the $10 RP code from amazon, because I assume you are from US. In the case I win, it is a bit more complicated because I am the Europeasant, but rest assured I would find a way that would not be more than $10.

Considering that this year is a new Pentakill album I might take you up up on that myself, lol.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
Lets formalize the bet.

• Emotes
• Skins

oh nah no thanks, not if the whole Riot Musical Cinematic Universe is included under this umbrella

Oct 27, 2017
oh nah no thanks, not if the whole Riot Musical Cinematic Universe is included under this umbrella

Probably much better odds if it has to be KDA, and not True Damage/New Band event. So... understandable that the bet looks much worse.

Considering that this year is a new Pentakill album I might take you up up on that myself, lol.

I am open for business.

I don't know much about the music lore, but Pentakill is definitely not the same as KDA/True Damage. If it is related to Pentakill, you win. If it is something like a singular DJ Sona or Arcade music/skins, you would also win.

But it has to be decided soon, before any leaks/teasers happen.

Oct 27, 2017
So next-patch is going to be the anime/school skins. kewl

No monsters in that universe, so not really expecting Renekton or Malphite skins. They should get Project/Mecha/Harrowing skins instead.

Poodlestrike

eye-brow-raise-eye-brows.gif

Oct 27, 2017
You think they're gonna follow up Battle Academia with True Damage/K-Pop? Bold.

Yeah, I think those 5 skins from last-year made more money than the entire LoR so far. Perhaps even one Akali skin, the first Akali skin where she is dressed in fashionable "street" clothes with a neon dragon, made more money than LoR.

I don't think they are going to do the boyband, but the KDA-equivalent boyband would still give me the victory.