• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't think Chronicler is that great with the Darkness package. Yes they're summons and not Play effects so you can do it, but they also can't stack in your hand and it shares a cost with Veigar and Robemaker.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
E9Fma72UUAAyqeL

Pretty good spread and lots of champions represented. Half of the top 32 being Akshan Sivir + Ez Draven is a bit concerning but not too worse than before (especially when these champions are playable in multiple decks).

Surprises to me: Viego and TF pretty well represented, Lulu and Plunder underrepresented. Same for Shen but I guess that's the overlap between Lulu and Shen. Also far less Azir Irelia, I am thinking players opted for the Sivir Ionia + Shurima deck instead.

LOL @ Aphelios in there. Targon champions are in a rough state right now, with no Nightfall aggro decks, no late game Targon decks, no Taric decks etc. It's basically only Zoe + Lee.

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Chronicler is that great with the Darkness package. Yes they're summons and not Play effects so you can do it, but they also can't stack in your hand and it shares a cost with Veigar and Robemaker.
With today's reveals it's probably too clunky to make the cut, but if that had been it, it would've been an auto include imo.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
still seems bad imo.
I think between Senna and the 6 mana card, that's already enough support for this Darkness archetype where you can ratio out the Darkness card and just run good cards from SI and other region. You are not locked into Bandle City anymore which is big, which means we can use PNZ which has a lot of spells that deal damage or can kill units. Like imagine a fast speed Thermobeam. It's like a slow control/burn deck, similar to Ez/Draven only because it's in SI it has access to healing and board wipes.

That's just one example though. I think Senna is a very good Go Hard champion. Being able to do Pack our Bags at Fast speed at possible 1 or 0 mana is kinda nutty (if you stack 2 fast speed Go Hards with the 3rd one leveling it up). In fact a lot of the new cards go well with Go Hard.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Senna is the most exciting champ in a while for me. Her effect is just so interesting and Shadow Isles control has always been my fav archetype. Spooky Karma back on the menu??

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah Senna's really dope design. But she's also a 5 mana champ, which doesn't make her bad but I think most of them are usually just decent finishers on already very strong archetypes rather than finishers. Not sure how fast the deck will be, also confused as to how Senna's attack works. Is it just cards in hand? Is it permanently?

Also Senna isn't dual region with Demacia despite name checking it, I guess because they want to keep dual region as a Bandle specific mechanic?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
7-7-6

Even 6 wins are a net loss without a champion or like 2-3 Epics. And my Epic Capsule champion rate is probably around 15%. Final 2-3 weeks of the Expansion, when all Epics are collected, are very easy to lose shards and go negative.

If there are more champs to announce, I hope one of them is a landmark focused. What could be a good LoL champion for landmarks? People wanted Galio to be a landmark champion, but Demacia isn't good for landmarks.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
a swarmy, value deck does not seem very good. i think all hopes ride on that landmark actually being good.

also the first yordle tag interaction.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You'll probably want to run Poppy with this yeah? Same basic concept.

I get the lore reasoning on the abilities but it is kind of a bummer to see my second main done like this. Just... kinda boring, doesn't feel very Trist.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Zoo style decks personally even though they tend to be strong/good beginner style decks.

Bandle City without powerful combat tricks and spells is going to struggle. We got a few more (the 1 mana Suit Up is nice for specific decks) in this reveal but still need a few more.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
First seasonal in the books, Badlife took it with Azir Irelia, Tahm Raka, and Ez Draven over FlyingFish running Ez Draven, Plunder, and TF Swain. The Semis with Badlife was actually a lot more exciting than the finals, he lost the first match with Tahm Raka vs Plunder (didn't draw Star Spring until turn 9) but beat Ez Karma with it and then there was an extremely close match with Ez Draven vs Ez Karma where Ez Draven was super close to killing but Karma found a Health Pot and an Spirit's Refuge off an enlightened Karma's Insight of Ages. Badlife was still able to find lethal by attacking and then putting lethal burn on the stack and his opponent wiffed on a 2nd Health Pot off the 2nd Insight of Ages.

Kinda surprising seeing Azir Irelia take a region, the deck is obv strong but the deck did very poorly in the group stages so it seemed like the meta was pretty hostile towards it. There was a good amount of slower decks like Anivia running around though and Plunder was stupid popular so he seemed to find the matchups he needed to take it.

EDIT: Other Asia tournament finished up, Overdose was playing Azir Irelia, Sivir Akshan Demacia, and Plunder and beat Seachicken playing Akshan Jarvan, Plunder, and Lulu Zed. The funny thing is that not only is Sivir Akshan Demacia just generally better than the Ionia version in pretty much every matchup that matters, but it also means that you aren't running Shurima Ionia which means you can also bring Azir Irelia too. The deck has legit winning or even matchups against the ENTIRE metagame aside from the Sivir Ionia decks and Discard which it has about a 47% win rate against, and Lulu Zed, which its only actual losing matchup and it's win rate is 41% so still totally winnable.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the best top 32 line up to be bringing is Azir Irelia, Sivir/Akshan Demacia and Lee Sin Zoe (or any top deck really in 3rd slot). Just don't run into aggro.

There is no way they don't nerf the Sivir/Akshan Shurima package plus tone down three of the main Ionian decks style (Eye of Dragon decks, Twin Discipline and Azir Irelia).

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sion seems okayish. Noxus only has arena bookie so I'm guessing we're getting more discard for the region. And just overall need a lot more discard cards to make him viable.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Sion seems okayish. Noxus only has arena bookie so I'm guessing we're getting more discard for the region. And just overall need a lot more discard cards to make him viable.
Huh? There are 4 new cards with discard as a cost in the new reveals. Draven axes are also an existing discard outlet.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Called it that Sion's last form is gonna be an ephemeral that rallies on summon. That's such a perfect replication of his League passive.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Sion's package has me worried. Not because I'm worried that Sion himself will be OP, I think there's definitely space in the game for a mid-range discard archetype and his seems pretty fun and well rounded. But I'm very worried that a few of these cards might slot into discard aggro to make it even stronger than it is. Discard aggro is still a pretty top tier deck even *after* the nerf to Rummage and I think it wouldn't take much to push it over the top.

I can't help but be disappointed with Tristana's design. It feels like it carries nothing of her flavor from league in favor of just making her a generic multi-region support card. I don't know how strong she'll be since we haven't seen all of the multi-region cards yet, but she's just not very flavorful or interesting as is. She's one of my fav League champs, so it's pretty disappointing to see her Runeterra iteration be so bland.

Also, I think they just showed an Ionia card in the current seasonal tournament that showed Ahri in the art? I imagine that means Ahri will be in the next mini-expansion?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aikaido brought the ultimate "I hope I don't run into aggro" line up with Tahm Raka, Teemo Ezrael and Azir Irelia... and is facing triple aggro in Grand Finals lol.

At least people can now stop pretending aggro is bad in Runeterra.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
NA feels like the highest level region overall IMO, both of the Asian regions generally never stray much from whatever the current meta is in Seasonals, but in NA there's usually way more levels to the metagame. Given that Azir Irelia won the other 3 regionals, I think that triple aggro was a decently good idea to bring and it's one of the few lineups that has decks that actually have an advantage vs Akshan Sivir Demacia. Tahm Raka was also the hidden boss in the tourney, won half the regions and got in the NA finals.

Also yeah, I've said it a bunch of times already but Twin Disciplines and Shaped Stone are massive issues, Akshan Sivir needs nerfs on top of that probably too. Again, the worst matchup in the entire metagame for the deck was 43% win rate. That's obscene, that's probably the best matchup spread that's existed Runeterra since matchup data has been recorded. It's as close to a tier 0 auto-bring as you can really get in this game.

Upcoming Competitive Runeterra is going to get crazy though. World Championship qualifiers is 2 weekends from now on September 4th and 5th, then the world championship is the 16th through the 18th. Qualifiers will be the 2nd weekend after the BC expansion so it will be a still pretty fresh meta. Then 3 weeks after that there will be the next Seasonal too.

Lastly I'm glad Boulevard and Jdoza got the cast for NA. Boulevard is maybe the most knowledgeable caster out there, he spends a lot of time researching the game and knowing deck matchups so he's very good at knowing what's going on in the matchup, and he compliments Jdoza well who is a good play-by-play guy but very much doesn't know that much.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm very pleased with Tahm Raka, it's been a very cool tech deck that only really exists in tournaments. I've climbed with it, it's doable but not fun lol

Okay Sion is really fucking cool, love the midrange discard package. Almost all of the cards look useful in some way, looks like there's enough good options to make a versatile archetype at different speeds. Discard Aggro to a slower Sion Overwhelm finish. And Sion's Last Breath is super fucking cool to boot.

That said it makes me feel like Draven might get kicked down to 2 health. I think he's actually really good without being broken but he's been a staple since not long after the game launched and that they're going so hard into discard makes me wonder if he'll get tapped. He's had discard aggro, Ez Draven, Driven and a few more decks and it looks like he's getting another.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are way too many Quick Attack champions in the game. I know it's so that they engage more in combat but it's still kinda lazy.

My predictions for nerfs:

Merciless Hunter - 4/2. Easier to kill but retains it's abilities. 3/3 is fine too but IMO 3/3 is becoming a homogenous stat range and it would be fine if the game had more 4/2.

Shape Stone - Requires 3+ landmark to get benefit and does not give +1 HP baseline (need to activate to get HP buff). I feel like this is supposed to be pay off for landmark decks and instead has become the most powerful 1 mana combat trick for every Shurima deck that has Akshan.

Ruin Runner - Becomes 5/4. I would be fine with it being 3 HP as well.

Twin Disciplines - Nerfed to +2/+2 and it's still going to be good.

Eye of the Dragon - 3 mana, Attune 2. Can't be called by Moon Weapons. Paying mana upfront is much worse.

Akshan - Landmarks are now countdown 10. Basically too easy to get value from him without dedicated buff decks and there is hardly any deck building cost associated to it.

Azir Irelia - Blade Dance spell token nerfed to 2 mana or it only Blade Dances 1. I don't think they can get away with not nerfing Azir Irelia again.

Other generic nerfs I want to see where I dont have a specific change in mind:

*Elusive Rally concepts.
*Pirate Aggro burn stuff.
*Discard Aggro nerfs (especially with Sion package incoming)
*Something about Lee Sin that slows him down a bit (maybe higher spell count)
*Another nerf to Ez Draven.

I think game needs to slow down quite a bit before new expansion or we are going to keep getting highly efficient fast kill decks.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Wooooooah, not gonna spoil it but the card reveal for today is TOTALLY out of left field per the leaks. This is a nice surprise. Don't think anyone was guessing this Champ.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
For nerfs I think there's a real danger of overnerfing Shurima like they did with BW and Targon before. Merciless Hunter, Ruin Runner, Sivir, Akshan, and Shaped Stone are all overtuned, but I think if you nerf all of them the region will be pretty weak. My proposed changes are:

Shaped Stone: 1/1 normally, 2/1 if you play a landmark, 3/1 if the landmark was Sun Disc
I think a 2/1 buff for 1 would still be playable in Akshan-style combat trick decks, and it would help mitigate the insane trading potential and burst that Shurima currently has while at the same time not hurting the Sun Disc deck which currently really relies on being able to buff up Renekton a bit to help level him.

Ruin Runner: 6 mana, no other changes
IMO a 6 mana runner would still be pretty strong vs the slower control decks that it's intended to punish while at the same time making it a fairly risky low-tempo play against more aggressive lists as it should be. Also toning down Shaped Stone and Twin Disciplines would indirectly hit it as well.

Akshan: Both Warlords landmarks to 9 or 10 countdown
Akshan is a decent play on curve even ignoring the bonuses he gives, and if you ever get the horde it's pretty hard to lose the game. This should make keeping him alive a bit more important and give people a bit more breathing room before having to deal with the massive advantage both of them give on completion.

Twin disciplines: Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to just a full revert because I think Ionia having any actually usable combat trick in-region is inherently problematic, let alone one that can be either an efficient burn spell or an efficient protection one. I don't think they'll strait up make it 2 mana 2/2 because then they can't even remotely pretend it might be better than Sharpsight, so I think they'll take a health or attack off it.

Young Witch: Revert
Something needs to be nerfed from Lulu Zed besides Twin Disciplines, and I think this is the card that's most obviously overtuned since they can't nerf Relentless Pursuit without also nerfing Golden Aegis.

Azir Irelia IDK what you could change about it, it also would be somewhat hurt by the Shaped Stone and Twin Disciplines nerfs and I don't know what you could change that either wouldn't be nerfing an already nerfed card or would be a change that didn't kill the deck outright. Dais is hands-down the most nutty card in the deck, but you can't just make it 3 mana because that's the same mana cost Azir and Irelia both have. Maybe they could nerf Irelia to 4 mana 3/3 or something? Putting Flawless Duet to 2 or reducing the blades summoned would probably kill the deck, it's already kinda tight on mana and has a hard time levelling its champs in a timely manner unless it finds Dais. The deck is BS but if you remove the BS from it then the deck is just going to suck and not be worth playing like what happened to Watcher.

I don't know if any of the Slow Burn decks need nerfs, they are as strong as they are in large part because they have the most efficient removal in the game which is kinda necessary when the best deck has spell shields and defensive boosts out the ass which makes most normal interaction ineffective. I'd rather wait and see if they get stronger with the new tools than pre-emptively nerf them and find out that it was unnecessary like what happened to Targon last patch.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
No Yordle champ reveal today huh.

Nami's leveled up form looks like she can super buff the entire board if you have access to cheap spells since it's not a once per turn effect. Riven and her followers give lots of 1 mana blade fragments so maybe they'll synergize well.