• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But you don't get a dagger with a leveled card :(

I just don't see Katarina being efficient mana wise, and almost every color can counter her with freezes/stuns/barriers/pumps/direct damage. Even shurima is using quicksand, which just kills her removing all ATK + Quickstrike.

Someone deserves a kick in the head for allowing Ryse/Viego to dominate across all games. Like... you are clearly struggling with Viego or Ryze's teleport, and still not making any draft changes...

I guess this happens when Riot keeps EU/NA to BO1, and then magically expect them to be good at drafts/adaptations for 3-4 playoff games in a year. This probably seals any hopes of "closing the gap" when you literally play a different format for most of the season.
The thing is, 100T made a lot of changes. EG were the ones struggling to figure out a solution to the top side of the map. So it's maybe not as hopeless as all that. Keeping an eye on today's LCS series for sure.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
"Manifest" feels so convoluted as a keyword, it has so much mechanical overlap with Invoke that it doesn't justify a new word. Make the current Invoke cards specify it's pulling celestials and this new tag doesn't need to exist.

The wording on Loping Telescope is an absolute mess on top of if.
I concur. Manifest could easily be replaced with create. Manifest seems like a keyword made just for the sake of it being a keyword.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why they might want to keep Invoke separate. This way they can for example add Manifest synergy without needing to worry about Invoke getting too strong. Invoke is also pretty flavorful with its own animation and sound effects.

But I think it should be a clear separation. That means no Manifesting celestials, thus no Loping Telescope. (That card is a fucking travesty for other reasons too.)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Loping Telescope is a weird fuckin' card but I think it's mostly just down to really awkward wording.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
"Manifest" feels so convoluted as a keyword, it has so much mechanical overlap with Invoke that it doesn't justify a new word. Make the current Invoke cards specify it's pulling celestials and this new tag doesn't need to exist.

The wording on Loping Telescope is an absolute mess on top of if.
First thing I thought as well. If a keyword makes me read it more than once, it already failed.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
First thing I thought as well. If a keyword makes me read it more than once, it already failed.

it's just Discover from HS, really, and will take no more than 1-2 games with it to understand.

today's reveals are the most exciting yet for me:

evqbrhqdpjh71.png

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Manifest is Discover but for regular cards and Invoke is just for Celestials. However I do agree that they are basically the same thing. Invoke could have just been "Manifest a Celestial".

Also how the hell have we gone through 5 days without a new Champ reveal? Riot be scamming us with this expansion!

I think its obvious that the Bilgewater + BC synergy will be based on spells + Pranking based around Fizz.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally a champion!

Some good cards in that pile. Stress Defense, Yordle Squire and Yordle Smith seem good to me.

Poppy might replace Quinn in MF Demacia decks.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Stress defense can be used on enemy units as well so it can either protect your units or debuff your enemies.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
eh. 4 mana 4/3 champion seems a bit weak. Clearly they're pushing the swarm demacia deck type whether that's MF/Scouts or something else. In a decent number of cases Lulu will be better and give more stats. I don't think the problem with MF/Scouts was having enough stats on board. We will see I guess.

Maybe a Bilgewater/Bandle swarm deck is what will actually happen. Then you can actually get some overtop damage which is what Scouts lack.

also still haven't seen anything that interacts with the yordle or fae tag. Seems more and more likely thats it going to be very minor.

edit: oh poppy buffs herself. thats better.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can see a Poppy + Lulu deck in PnZ where its discard aggro with all the Flamechompers and elusive Poros. I think in general she is good with Elusives because it's easy to send an attack in with Poppy and Elusives want to go wide and gain HP.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Just from the aesthetics of this set alone (All the Yordles and Fae) I'm loving this expansion. Love Teemo, love Lulu and this whole region seems to just be all about what I loved about those characters and making a whole thing of them. Poppy looks cool as hellllllll! Yooooo, I'm excited!

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Poppy has a really great design! I think her effect is good, but I'm not sure if the game is in a place right now where she'd be very strong. I think the game's pace would need to be slowed down a touch for her to really see a ton of use. Her level up is also a bit 'win more' since I feel like if you're making 3 successful attack engagements with her, you've probably got control of the board enough that winning is a foregone conclusion. But it's still a great design!

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just from the aesthetics of this set alone (All the Yordles and Fae) I'm loving this expansion. Love Teemo, love Lulu and this whole region seems to just be all about what I loved about those characters and making a whole thing of them. Poppy looks cool as hellllllll! Yooooo, I'm excited!
Yeah, I love the look. I'm all in on that board + the puppy guardian

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Poppy seems like a strong option for a Weenies deck, yeah. Toss in MF and a lot of Scouts, Rally, and Cataclysm to try and rush her level up. I love her flavor too, all the lines about the Hero. It's an old joke but it still gets me.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Poppy is a lot like Quinn, decent but very rarely leveling, which I think is a design that a lot of people don't love cuz they want that animation lol. You basically can't get her to level without dedicated support like Field Promotion but her base effect is certainly strong enough to get value.

And yeah Stress Defense is super versatile, really good card. Any of the cards that are generating free things or Manifesting are likely to be at least decent.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Looks great but predict decks look like they'll counter her strategy since it shuffles the deck after a predict. Still, I don't think there are that many predict decks running around.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a completely different Caitlyn than I know. Instead of weird tophat cupcake lady we a get some special forces electric grenade action.

It's an improvement.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I need that commando outfit as a League skin.

NEED

But yeah her cards look excellent. She'll levelup well with puffcaps so you'll probably see some of those cards get added in, if not Teemo himself. Tho since Ava does hugely buff those traps you might as well toss in BC.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good batch of cards and Caitlyn looks way better than her LOL counterpart.

From carnival magician apprentice with a funny looking gun to an actual sniper commando.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, interesting that they'd change the look of a Champion so much from what they look like in League. I take it they haven't done that for any others thus far?

I guess that makes for an easy skin, though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah I was like oh that's a really slick cool design and then I looked up what her LoL model looks like… night and day. And it looks like people are largely pleased with it too.

Corina is another Puffcap finisher which is cool. They're actually reducing the randomness of the archetype with these top end tools and I'm pleased.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, now that I stop and think about it, Cait and her units are a great way to add longevity to Teemo Puffcap Control... hmmm

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If leveled Caitlyn is on board then every Puffcap basically hits twice to the Nexus which is pretty big.

I think the idea is that the Caitlyn package of Flashbang traps is to stabilize and soften the board against aggro while the Puffcap package finishes game against later/slower decks. I don't know if the Flashbang stuff is reliable enough to control the board though.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Have they ever said anything at all about a possible Mac release? I would love this game on the MacBook…League's on Mac so I thought this would be there as well :(

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I went from feeling pretty burnt out on this game a week ago to being insanely hyped and wanting to play again just from these previews!

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Power level wise, I think Veigar is gonna fall a bit short since it looks like it'll be difficult to generate the darkness spell as you can only get it once from summoning Veigar or the 2/2 follower.

Thematically though? He's pretty damn up there and I can't wait to play him. I hope one of the yet to be revealed champs will be able to mesh well with his playstyle.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
veigar seems way to slow. All the cards they've shown this expansion have been on the faster end of things so he's probably going to be too bad. Can't imagine the game slowing down that much.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Viego seems pretty underwhelming not going to lie, at least lvl1. Lvl2 is going to win the game though.

Event Horizon is pretty good and Minimize is good too (but not OP as some people seem to think it is).

Also is Event Horizon dual region or just Bandle City? I have seen art with both of the region combinations.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Veigar looks like he sucks not gonna lie. Requires you to basically put in the full package which (so far) only has two sources of Darkness which you can't even stack in your hand. Ironically he screams a Lab of Legends champ, low cost strike units, throw on a spell mana refill perk and it might actually be a not terrible control deck in the format. But constructed... nah

Event Horizon and Bass & Tenor could be decent. Wizened Wizard is just on the cusp of being good, the stat line just makes it too removable.

Also Minimorph's text is weird, it transforms first and then silences it? Is that to remove any buffs that stick around after a transform? Regardless I'd say 6 mana burst "removal" is probably just straight up great.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
seems pretty obvious not all of Veigar's support is here yet. The Darkness card will surely be generated by the SI champ in this expansion as well.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people freak out about Minimorph is pretty funny, especially because the current meta is so obviously bad for it. What does this card do vs all the various Sivir Ionia decks going around? All their units that are bigger than 3/3 have spell shield and a 3/3 still accepts buffs like Shaped Stone and Twin Disciplines for burst damage just fine. Draven Ez often has draws where it uses all of its efficient 3 drops and Tri-Beam or Sentry to remove blockers for tons of damage, again all of their units already were around 3/3 size this doesn't help at all vs that. This card strait up upgrades most the units in Discard and Pirates. People act like transforming Dreadway is good but you still have to deal with the likely flipped GP that it fetched. It isn't even all that good vs some of the old school control decks like FTR and TLC.

Not saying the card is bad and won't see play, but these sorts of effects are always colossally overrated by card game communities. (I remember people losing their shit over Ravenform in MTG when it was first spoiled and how it was going to break Blue, card wasn't even all that good in limited) It's easy to imagine the obvious best-case scenario for it like transforming a Lee or Anivia, but a ton of decks don't have good targets like this and people act like spending 6 whole mana to still leave behind a fairly sizable creature is something that you're allowed to get away with vs most decks in Runeterra.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Minimorph ain't doing anything against like 80% of decks. Not current decks in the meta, but just most in general. The 3/3 it leaves behind is relevant.

Playing Maokai has taught me that Veigar is gonna suck. Same tempo, but no free saplings. The Darknesses aren't tempo either, they're value. Also the mana curve on the units is really weird. The cost reduction one clashes with Veigar himself. The 2/2 is awkward to play on 2 since you have to play the spell on 3 to play Veigar on 4. I like the concept, but as it stands, it's too slow and clunky. I do appreciate how few pieces there are. It's not as all or nothing as a lot of other champs of this type.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Veigar seems like a card that was busted in testing. I think you just need to print Darkness as a main deckable card and suddenly Veigar becomes scary. Without cloning effects its difficult to get enough Darkness to level him.

I can very much see that in testing that it creating Darkness every round start is too strong (on lvl1 version), like basically pre-nerf Aphelios being able to control board and being a one card win condition.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Chronicler of Ruin is pretty nuts with the whole Darkness package. And SI already makes a lot of sense as the second region. But then again it's even slower than the rest of the package that is probably too slow already.