• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Ayyyyy, I called it! It was a Bandle City + Ionia deck with the Prankster being summoned by another card! (The Bandle City landmark).

But wtf, Fizz is a Yordle? I did not realize that. Also, updated Teemo and Fizz art....new skins or new cards? (Probably skins).

Also if it's a Teemo skin, might be the first one I actually buy. I love my Teemo decks, I try to make a new one every expansion.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be kind of awkward if deckbuilding restrictions worked on the order in which you add cards, IMO. Not sure how else to do it, though.
Not sure what you mean. It's gonna work the same as now. The one difference is that if you haven't fully committed to a region (due to a dual region cards), all but 3 or 4 regions are going to be grayed out until you commit to 2 of them. Like you could have SI/Demacia and P&Z/Bandle cards in your deck and SI gets locked once you pick a Demacia card or wise versa. Same for the other pair.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks like Teemo and Fizz's new art are actual updates to the cards and not skins. Maybe the old artwork will be converted to skins?

Looks the art style is a little softer (I don't know art terms), seems it might be a theme for Bandlewood cards

and yeah the deck building implications of some of these cards being made dual region - we'll definitely see if the support cards that were made Yordle are changed too - could be really interest. like especially Lulu now is waaaaaay more versatile

01PZ008.webp
01PZ008T2.webp
01PZ022.webp
02BW046T3.png
02BW046.png

Last edited:

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Both are sidegrades (Fizz maybe a downgrade). It would be a waste if we don't get the old art as skins.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeees

As much as I hate playing against puff caps…these are fun cards. Aloof Traveler is going to see a LOT of play.
Oh, Aloof Traveler is bonkers. It's an incredible edge in combo and control matchups. Also legit great in specifically a trap deck where you want your opponent to be drawing cards without getting card advantage.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, Aloof Traveler is bonkers. It's an incredible edge in combo and control matchups. Also legit great in specifically a trap deck where you want your opponent to be drawing cards without getting card advantage.

Yep. I can't wait to delete Atrocity's with this thing.

Deep Decks are going to be pretty good in the upcoming meta I think…

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ava Achiever is kind of a nuts finisher for Puffcaps. Normally against those decks, if Teemo gets two leveled up attacks in the game is over. That card basically has to survive one round for a similar effect.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely I think Puffcap Control is gonna be a thing. Toss in ionia for stuns and recalls to protect Teemo and drag out the game until you can grind them down.

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely I think Puffcap Control is gonna be a thing. Toss in ionia for stuns and recalls to protect Teemo and drag out the game until you can grind them down.

And I don't see how this is a fun deck to play against...

Teemo is already playable, you had super-draw or Sejuani decks utilizing puffcaps. Do we really need to develop this thing further with more and stronger cards?

Teemo legit is a meme champion in LoL. He is purposely never been buffed to the competitive tier. Why would Riot try to make even more tournament decks around him?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017

Teemo is already playable, you had super-draw or Sejuani decks utilizing puffcaps. Do we really need to develop this thing further with more and stronger cards?

Teemo legit is a meme champion in LoL. He is purposely never been buffed to the competitive tier. Why would Riot try to make even more tournament decks around him?
Teemo has a much more obnoxious design in LoL. It's already a huge design pillar in Runeterra that decks have actual win conditions and can close out games in a turn or two so Teemo's clock has never felt like a problem to me.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't league?

Who cares if someone's a meme or whatever in League. I want Riot to make them viable in LoR.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't league?

Who cares if someone's a meme or whatever in League. I want Riot to make them viable in LoR.

It is already viable, or at least was up until the last patch. Had deck presence during EU tournament, and easily among the best champs for Expeditions.

I am waiting to see for more cards, not going to jump to conclusions, but I hope to see something that can revive stuff like augment, elites, ramp (trolls), ephemeral, katarina, landmarks (targon/shurima side), self damage etc.

And I know this isn't league, but when you make the champion the butt of many jokes and purposely keep him weak to the point where it is a troll pick in Diamond or above, I question why would you want to make him competitive in LoR.

Oct 27, 2017
7/2/7

That 2 hurts, I need 6 wins to break-even because I got all Epics again.

No champs in Vault or Capsules :(

Because it's a completely different game?? I'm not sure I understand.

I don't know how to explain it, I guess it doesn't bother you.

I see it as a multi-game shared universe, where I expect Garen or Jinx to be the same. LoL -> LoR -> Lore -> Animation. Through mechanics, lore, power etc. and Teemo being a joke should not be a top tier champion and the focus of lore in another.

(I take it way too serious, but stuff like Rare/Mythical Squirrel in serious MTG sets also bothers me)

And Riot quarantines this yordles from projects like Cyberpunk, Sentinels or KDA. Yordles don't go to serious universes, they go to pool parties and fun skin events. Teemo especially is a comical relief part of the universes.

Last edited:

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
7/2/7

That 2 hurts, I need 6 wins to break-even because I got all Epics again.

No champs in Vault or Capsules :(

I don't know how to explain it, I guess it doesn't bother you.

I see it as a multi-game shared universe, where I expect Garen or Jinx to be the same. LoL -> LoR -> Lore -> Animation. Through mechanics, lore, power etc. and Teemo being a joke should not be a top tier champion and the focus of lore in another.

(I take it way too serious, but stuff like Rare/Mythical Squirrel in serious MTG sets also bothers me)

I see! Makes sense. People invest in these games differently for sure.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Meme champions are fucking stupid, and this line of thinking is dumb, I'm sorry. I hate when a character is artifically kept weak because all it does is punish fans. It's a good thing to make Teemo competitively viable (at least on ladder and not just tournament tech). I'm very happy he's getting more support.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are no meme champions in LoR and I like it that way. There are meme cards and concepts but I like that champions are at least meant to be decent/playable. I know people meme about Kararina but she is one rework away from being terrifying, Rally on a body is no joke.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Intentionally bad characters in MP games have largely died off these days, while some fighting games might make certain characters intentionally stronger/weaker based on lore, it's generally not to an extent where they're broken OP or unviably bad. People generally want to be able to actually play with the characters that they like without feeling like they're severely gimping themselves, and I think there's ways you can make a character seem like a plucky underdog or a joke without using character balance as a way to achieve that.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Like if you look at the champ winrates, the only one I'd even remotely call a meme champ (never been good, low winrate, prioritizes fun) is Viktor but his archetype is still pretty interesting and unique and not like completely awful. Most champs have seen some kind of viability at some point and that's great. That they're better than other cards on average means you can usually find at least some tier 3-4 way to get them to work if you really want. Even someone like Garen, it's not so much that he's a bad card in that he's at a tough mana line with strict competition.

Also if the game was a 1:1 copy of League power and play rates, that's boring as fuck. I like that A Sol actually has a place. The 10 drop god bomb has seen a lot more play in LoR than LoL and that's very cool.

and yeah Katarina sucks atm but she's a tough one because if you even slightly overtune her she's busted. she's not meant to be a joke either.

Oct 27, 2017
Also if the game was a 1:1 copy of League power and play rates, that's boring as fuck. I like that A Sol actually has a place. The 10 drop god bomb has seen a lot more play in LoR than LoL and that's very cool.

Ok, now you are just building a strawman that has nothing to do with the point.

There are two champs in LoL that are purposely being kept weak, the comical relief additions in both power and lore. It is not some sort of accident, they are the type of champions you pick to flex on opponent or troll the pick/ban.

It is Teemo and Amumu.

It doesn't feel right that 10+ years running joke might become the focus of both lore and have a top tier deck in LoR.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ok, now you are just building a strawman that has nothing to do with the point.

There are two champs in LoL that are purposely being kept weak, the comical relief additions in both power and lore. It is not some sort of accident, they are the type of champions you pick to flex on opponent or troll the pick/ban.

It is Teemo and Amumu.

It doesn't feel right that 10+ years running joke might become the focus of both lore and have a top tier deck in LoR.

Amumu is good in Wild Rift - LoR, LoL and Wild Rift are three different games. Get used to it now or you're gonna blow a gasket when the FG comes out

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never played League and only knows these characters through LoR, Teemo is my favorite champion, has been my favorite since I started playing, and I'm hyped as hell that he's getting a focus on and could potentially have a top deck- I always get excited when I see Teemo in any sort of tiered deck. I don't care that he's a joke in League, I want him to shine in Runeterra and I'm happy he's getting this spotlight. Same with Lulu!

As someone who plays Expeditions pretty heavily, I'm kind of hurt and betrayed that you'd dismiss the Expeditions Lord Teemo like this Evolution. May a puffcap be in your dinner, and a stinky whump in your breakfast!

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Has Riot ever said that they keep Teemo purposefully underpowered because they want him to be a joke pick? I always assumed that Teemo's non-existent pro play is due to his gameplay pattern being inherently weaker against an organised team, in a way that it's difficult to make him competitively viable without wrecking havoc to low-rank queues.

(Edit: Obviously Riot can rework his kit to solve this and have chosen not to do that, but since Teemo is a really popular champion there is little incentive for them to do it.)

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who plays Expeditions pretty heavily, I'm kind of hurt and betrayed that you'd dismiss the Expeditions Lord Teemo like this Evolution. May a puffcap be in your dinner, and a stinky whump in your breakfast!

Mate, I am on record saying that Teemo is one of the best champs for expeditions just a few comments above. You know that the mode we like, Expeditions, will only going to get more unbalanced when archtypes like murshrooms get better cards?

Amumu is good in Wild Rift - LoR, LoL and Wild Rift are three different games. Get used to it now or you're gonna blow a gasket when the FG comes out

I was curious enough to see pick-rates for Wild Rift, because I have never played the game nor watched anything informative of power levesl or pick rates.

It and Mundo are trading the spot of least picked champions when it comes to Diamond, Emeral or Masters stats...

I also don't think that you will see Teemo or Amumu whopping asses of champions in the Fighting game project. Teemo might make it to the collection, but I doubt we will ever see him in tournaments/competitive scene.

Has Riot ever said that they keep Teemo purposefully underpowered because they want him to be a joke pick? I always assumed that Teemo's non-existent pro play is due to his gameplay pattern being inherently weaker against an organised team, in a way that it's difficult to make him competitively viable without wrecking havoc to low-rank queues.

He is not a great duelist either, not a good pick even for 1vs1 showdowns. He is literally there to make melee top life miserable until like level-6, and then you cannot go all-in against champions who have gap closers and strong ultimates. His mobility is cancelled even without the need for stun, so he is easy to gank... he is just bad by design.

Whoever picks Teemo to style on Silvers in ranked can inflict way more pain with champs like Rengar or Lee.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Teemo is the type of character who would be strong in a fighting game if not balanced properly.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I really wouldn't worry about the new Teemo support cards taking him over the top, at least based on what we see here. The only viable Teemo deck currently is mixed with Freljord and has Puffcap Peddler as more of a wincon than Teemo himself is. I don't think any of the cards revealed so far is worth a spot in that deck. Maybe the new 3dmg spell? Even then, it's iffy and wouldn't substantially buff the deck beyond it's current Tier 2 status. I think these cards are going to try to give Teemo some viability outside that deck, but I think more needs to be revealed before we can say if that might be strong or not.

Today's reveals were pretty unimpressive imo. Impact doesn't do a whole lot and isn't very interesting, at least until we see how you can stack it. The 10 cost spell seems like absolute meme, although it might be fun to see if people can find a way to combo it with stress testing.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
really hope this "create cards" archetype they're pushing is more like Chump Wump rather than full on random like Karma. Treasured Trash has me a bit worried.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what does Impact do?
Deals 1 damage to the enemy nexus if you Strike WHILE Attacking. Can stack.

So it won't trigger on block but will often trigger on attacks. You can also trigger multiple times on attack if you use Strike spells (if you use Judgment while attacking against a full board that's 6 Nexus damage).

I like this as a way to reward bigger statted units which can get some additional value from being chump blocked.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Idk about Amumu as an example, they're buffing him in LOL with the specific goal of making him better in higher elo.

There's champions in League that are mostly kept to lower elos not because they're memes but because they're simple to pilot. Harder champions should in theory reward that increased difficulty. But there's not really an equivalent expression in Runterra - even simple champions can be in complex decks, and vice versa.
what does Impact do?
Kills toplaners.

*badum-tsh*

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Love seeing more viable hand disruption. Man, I just realized how much of a headache it is to properly internalize what region combinations these cards can be in. New poros seem cool. Poros are really starting to get there...

Teemo is the type of character who would be strong in a fighting game if not balanced properly.
Yoda op

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah we really need to see more of what Impact is supposed to do, there's a few fun interactions but we gotta see what other bodies it comes with and how this stacking works.

Treasured Trash is cool. It's a bomb in Expeditions, and probably not high tier competitive but certainly not the worst Constructed card. Like it's playable as a pseudo finisher. It can come down as soon as turn 7, it can be a big bomb but also wants you to have a small hand and gives the opponent huge reactivity. Feels like it hits a nice level of fun and balance to me.

dude your argument is "hey I think this character I interpret as a joke in a completely separate game should be a joke in this one, fuck people that like this character and my reasoning is uhhhh doesn't feel right".

that logic is whack, meme characters are fucking stupid and I ain't entertaining that shit any further. Teemo's always been good in LoR and if he becomes great I'm happy with it

Oct 27, 2017
dude your argument is "hey I think this character I interpret as a joke in a completely separate game should be a joke in this one, fuck people that like this character and my reasoning is uhhhh doesn't feel right".

Nah mate, you need to read better, or purposely not misrepresent comments.

1. It is not a completely separate game, factually wrong. It takes place in the same universe, with the same characters, shares entire lore.
2. Nowhere do I say that Teemo should be a joke in this game, I just don't like that he is getting more cards, specifically before previously listed archtypes/champions.
3. "Fuck people who like this" literally putting words in my mouth.
4. Doesn't feel right is an valid opinion to have about the cards/characters, and mostly everything that isn't a scientific fact.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nah mate, you need to read better, or purposely not misrepresent comments.

1. It is not a completely separate game, factually wrong. It takes place in the same universe, with the same characters, shares entire lore.
2. Nowhere do I say that Teemo should be a joke in this game, I just don't like that he is getting more cards, specifically before previously listed archtypes/champions.
3. "Fuck people who like this" literally putting words in my mouth.
4. Doesn't feel right is an valid opinion to have about the cards/characters, and mostly everything that isn't a scientific fact.
I ain't entertaining that shit any further

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man what the hell, 3 days of reveals without a new Champ. Stop cucking us Riot!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
and yeah Katarina sucks atm but she's a tough one because if you even slightly overtune her she's busted. she's not meant to be a joke either.
yeah, she can be quite goofy in both the PVE and the ultra rapid modes that I play. Even reducing her cost by one in the PVE makes her quite good (The time I used her I had her completely broken with her cost reduced by one, she summoned a copy of her into play, and drew me a card when I played her :P) and in ultra rapid she can trigger quite a few rallies lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Kat is strong but undertuned, if that makes any sense? She's always on the cusp of being a monster.

Anyway I would die for the Proto Poro.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
These new cards.... I have no strong feelings. Stacking Impact on like a 7 cost card doesn't seem that strong, you only get it while attacking so it's drastically stronger on early game units. I did notice Owlcat is an Ionia card that can be generated through Bandlewood cards so that's Bandle Tree synergy at least.

Need to see payoff for the Yordle tag

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kat is strong but undertuned, if that makes any sense? She's always on the cusp of being a monster.

Anyway I would die for the Proto Poro.
Katarina is the only champion in the game that has her cost increase on level up. And that's intentional because otherwise she would be a repeatable Rally (the card) with a body + dagger 3 times in a single turn. At 4 mana, you can only ever get 2 Rallys with her and thats a huge difference.

Oct 27, 2017
Katarina is the only champion in the game that has her cost increase on level up. And that's intentional because otherwise she would be a repeatable Rally (the card) with a body + dagger 3 times in a single turn. At 4 mana, you can only ever get 2 Rallys with her and thats a huge difference.

But you don't get a dagger with a leveled card :(

I just don't see Katarina being efficient mana wise, and almost every color can counter her with freezes/stuns/barriers/pumps/direct damage. Even shurima is using quicksand, which just kills her removing all ATK + Quickstrike.

Kills toplaners.

*badum-tsh*

Someone deserves a kick in the head for allowing Ryse/Viego to dominate across all games. Like... you are clearly struggling with Viego or Ryze's teleport, and still not making any draft changes...

I guess this happens when Riot keeps EU/NA to BO1, and then magically expect them to be good at drafts/adaptations for 3-4 playoff games in a year. This probably seals any hopes of "closing the gap" when you literally play a different format for most of the season.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Manifest" feels so convoluted as a keyword, it has so much mechanical overlap with Invoke that it doesn't justify a new word. Make the current Invoke cards specify it's pulling celestials and this new tag doesn't need to exist.

The wording on Loping Telescope is an absolute mess on top of if.