• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rubin said that they wanted at least 3 changes minus the champion per region but Freljord only had one change to Howling Abyss.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Ruination mini-expansion incoming? Seems more than just KDA sized.

cwc97zw1z7971.png

I can't hold all these shakeups.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I must be crazy but I prefer the Ashe/Yeti version. that version just has no chance against Pirates or Noxus burn which I've been seeing a fair amount of on ladder.

Ruination mini-expansion incoming? Seems more than just KDA sized. Kinda confirms Viego.

cwc97zw1z7971.png

Ruined Rex seems goodish? Rimefang seems a bit slow but getting something like 12/12 stats for 6 mana could be decent. And thrumming is unplayable.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
What in the hell is Fiora...that was absolutely busted. There was no hope lmao

I've been running this Fizz/Ezreal deck for a bit now. Ez wasn't really doing much of anything in the deck tbh so I've been playing around with Vi. Infinitely more fun, especially when I make her elusive. Honestly, I'm an idiot? I don't even need to make her elusive. Thought that's usually a shit ton of free damage.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ruination mini-expansion incoming? Seems more than just KDA sized.

cwc97zw1z7971.png

Oh wow new cards after a new expansion and a big patch? Me likely.

Thrumming Swarm reminds me of Anubarak in Hearthstone. Same statline too. Basically a card that beats on control decks since its infinite value technically.

Rimefang mother is an Ashe card though its hard to play her there. Putting two bodies in one action is always good though. Leveling Ashe means that this card spawns a 6/6 Overwhelm at minimum with a 5/5 body which is strong.

Ruined Rex is sweet in a dedicate TF deck. Pick a card alone is 3 procs for this which for 5 mana on play effect is still good. The barrages are much stronger at turn 5 than turn 8 on average.

I am assuming we are going to get one card per region plus a single new champion, maybe Viego.

Last edited:

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
OLS happened this weekend, one of the biggest semi-regular open bracket tourneys. Had 124 entrants so it's a decent sample size and while obviously a lot of people were playing new stuff it might give an idea of what to expect for this patch's meta. Here was the top 8 breakdown:

Thralls - 3
TF/Swain - 3
Feel The Rush - 2
Lee Sin - 2
Overwhelm - 2
Nasus - 2
Shen/J4 - 2 Nab - 1
Draven/Ezreal - 1
Taric/J4 - 1
Lurk - 1
Yeti's - 1
Pirates - 1
Endure - 1
Frostbite Midrange - 1

For new decks a lot of people brought Lurk and Ez Karma, so their combined one representative in top 8 is pretty bad and might be an indicator that they may not be a major player in the meta going forward. Karma lists are generally very difficult to pilot and they might have the right 40 cards given that they didn't know what to expect meta-wise so maybe it might get better in a more established meta. Lurkers on the other hand I'm a bit skeptical of, it feels like it's a highrolly aggro deck with the added issue of needing to both draw well and also often have to hit blind lurk triggers. People haven't settled on the proper list though, as some are running tons of predict and less of the bad lurkers, while others are maximizing lurkers to increase the chances of blind hits. There's also a bit more nuance to piloting it than it's maybe getting credit currently so it's possible it might go up in value or at the very least find its way into being a solid anti-meta deck.

The finals was Ez Draven/TF Swain/Thralls vs FTR/TF Swain/Thralls, with the list that had FTR taking the win overall. Going forward Thralls may just be the deck to beat, and Make it Rain is certainly a real card again. (Riptide was even in the winning decklist) As expected FJ/SI is still a very real region combination and while some people were experimenting with various Howling Abyss lists FTR did better, almost all the Howling Abyss decks had very different champ combos so similar to Cithria Matron it might be a while until a generally agreed upon "best" list is found and that list might potentially be as good or better than FTR. The big advantage Abyss has is that they don't have to run copies of FTR or Tryndamere and Trundle, plus the wincon doesn't get stopped by counterspells. So there's certainly some advantages that Abyss has although it's to be seen if those advantages end up winning out over the instant raw power of a resolved FTR. (Pls buff Warmother's Call)

Aside from those decks the meta was super open as people wanted to play new stuff which meant that less people were playing "good" decks, so decks like Thresh Nasus and Overwhelm are still likely very strong and will be big players in the meta going forward. Less so is probably Azir Irelia, whose win rate has tanked considerably post-patch despite a lot of unrefined and weaker decklists being played. (Now at 51% on ladder while Thresh Nasus has over 56%) Of the decks targeted by the nerfs, Thresh Nasus and Ez Draven are likely still pretty strong, (Ez Draven has to compete with TF Swain though which plays somewhat similarly) while TLC is completely dead and both Azir Irelia and Rubin Pile hurting a lot.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People are still playing the older versions of Azir Irelia when the new ones have been doing quite well. I think there will be a small resurgence of Azir Irelia again especially for tournament as a counter line up.

^ This is the new Azir Irelia. Playing Dancing Droplet just doesn't work anymore and you can't not run the new Twin Disciplines. Do not sleep on new Azir Irelia.

Not surprised at Ez Karma and Lurk underperformance. I don't think we have refined lists for either but more importantly Ez Karma needs a solidified meta to pick the right reactive cards. Lurk most people are just playing suboptimal list. I believe that Kozmic is putting out a meta report on Lurk that shows that playing the Predict cards is a massive bait. You really just want high Lurk chance and draw (2-3 Preservarium), and yes Jaull Fish should be at least a one of.. Lurk is actually very good into specific line ups like Overwhelm, Thralls and various Demacia decks because those decks have to end up blocking 1 mana Lurk units with their expensive units. I was playing Overwhelm yesterday and if Lurk got a decent start it felt unwinnable. The deck also has a tier 2 winrate despite having over 20% playrate, so once that stabilizes with less people playing and more solid lists the WR should go up but it will always be a solid tier 2/3 deck until there are more Lurk cards.

And yeah meta is still wide open and I have been super pleased with it. I have also been hearing word on the street that Taric is actually good now (Taric Demacia especially with Golden Aegis). Definitely the best patch they have done for LoR.

RE on TF/Swain: Very likely that deck gets bumped down as the meta is more figured out and there are more Ionia decks.

I think the only thing I can say for sure is that old TLC Watcher Combo is effectively dead in tournament level. Technically it is still possible but the win condition has been slowed down too much and the deck doesn't really have many alternate ways to win earlier. FTR just wins earlier now on average so that should be the future. Luckily... neither Trundle nor Lissandra will have issue seeing playing and even Matron is playable in the Cithria deck.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Really, really like today's cards.

ysvqktsx3f971.png

Demacia finally gets their sub 4 cost dragon. They just need to be in SI to get it haha. But more seriously, these SI dragons are great. They're sacrifice enablers (I see why they nerfed Abom) that start as higher statted creatures and then continue growing. Finally, this is where that 1m choose one follower fits because you'll want him to curve into the 2m dragon. I can see a more midrange Dragons deck that skips Eclipse Dragon for a Matron/Cithria/Atrocity finisher.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Really, really like today's cards.

ysvqktsx3f971.png

Demacia finally gets their sub 4 cost dragon. They just need to be in SI to get it haha. But more seriously, these SI dragons are great. They're sacrifice enablers (I see why they nerfed Abom) that start as higher statted creatures and then continue growing. Finally, this is where that 1m choose one follower fits because you'll want him to curve into the 2m dragob. I can see a more midrange Dragons deck that skips Eclipse Dragon for a Matron/Cithria/Atrocity finisher.
Oh awesome, Dragons about to get extra spicy

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SI Dragons... interesting.

Also Swim claims he has discovered a competitive Poro deck lol.

Crazy meta where we have competitive Poros and Yeti. Truly the Midrange meta.

Also Lurk match up tables out and its what I expected. Lose to aggro but win against a lot of Midrange and control decks. Loses to various BW decks too. Not bad and certainly usable in tournament line up due to good match ups vs Overwhelm and Thrall.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So I realize that once they are in the game it won't matter, but man it bothers me that the Demacia cards have the Shadow Isles
aesthetic there. I realize that's what this mini set is going for, but before a closer look I thought they were all SI cards. But definitely some exciting cards!

itsumokid

Jun 1, 2021
I started playing about a month and a half ago, and I'm really enjoying this game. The FTP aspect is very generous and refreshing from a life of buying cards.

I don't super keep up on competitive discussion, so I'm sure this deck isn't amazing or anything, but I've had so much fun tweaking the premade Ekko/Zilean deck from the store to my liking. I first dropped Zilean because I didn't like the time bombs getting in the way, at some point added in Chirean Sumpworkers thinking they could be an extra victory condition, but after lots of matches found that they never were too helpful so they're back out. It's at a point that I'm really happy with, and it just feels so much fun to craft the deck by myself, improving it with small changes I figured out.

Ekko himself is just too fun. So many wacky shenanigans he can get into with his ability and spells, like lucking into three Chronobreaks in a row from the 0-cost Time Tricks with enough mana to use them all. Or getting multiple Ekkos with Chronobreak. I'm climbing this whole time too, and I'm excited to see how far I can go with him.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People are super sleeping on TF Go Hard right now IMHO. We never really had TF Go Hard deck with 2 mana Make it Rain.

I might climb with it. I have won so many Gauntlets with that deck lol.

Edit: Actually just realized that isn't that good because Make it Rain interferes with Zap drawing Go Hards. Maybe I can drop Glimpse completely and use Spirits Salvages.

Last edited:

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I started playing about a month and a half ago, and I'm really enjoying this game. The FTP aspect is very generous and refreshing from a life of buying cards.

I don't super keep up on competitive discussion, so I'm sure this deck isn't amazing or anything, but I've had so much fun tweaking the premade Ekko/Zilean deck from the store to my liking. I first dropped Zilean because I didn't like the time bombs getting in the way, at some point added in Chirean Sumpworkers thinking they could be an extra victory condition, but after lots of matches found that they never were too helpful so they're back out. It's at a point that I'm really happy with, and it just feels so much fun to craft the deck by myself, improving it with small changes I figured out.
I'm in the same boat in terms of just making a deck and seeing how far I can take it, meta's be damned haha. Currently working with a Swain monkey deck trying to get through gold!

Welcome!!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best time to try new decks tbh. Meta is much slower thanks to even aggro decks having to slow down due to Make it Rain.

Also what is up with this cheesy Sivir Zed deck lol. I swear I see some completely new deck every day these days. Meta report is out and it is really good and well balanced (minus Lurk playrate but that is to be expected).

A LOT of viable decks right now.

za5ue5r4ue971.png

Other meta decks:

Decks Number of Matches Win Rate %

Azir Irelia 3300 54%
Thresh Nasus 3100 56%
Lee Sin Targon 2604 53%
Sejuani Yetis 2359 51%
Reputation 2167 57%
Overwhelm 2153 54%
Ashe Midrange 1716 51%
Deep 1605 53%
Scouts 1499 51%
Taliyah Malphite 1260 53%
Taric J4 1223 53%
Feel The Rush Control 1192 54%
Anivia 970 50%
Mono LeBonk Frel 827 52%
Ezreal GP Funsmith 803 49%*
TF Go Hard 684 53%
Zed Teemo 676 53%
GP Sejunai Plunder 613 54%
Howling Abyss Control578 49%*

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
So I realize that once they are in the game it won't matter, but man it bothers me that the Demacia cards have the Shadow Isles
aesthetic there. I realize that's what this mini set is going for, but before a closer look I thought they were all SI cards. But definitely some exciting cards!

I feel like this sort of thing is only going to get more common going forward once we get past expansions being themed around a new region and are based around a different theme. For example, I think it's very likely at some point we're going to get a Void/Bandle City/Ixtal themed expansion based off the one that didn't make it as the 10th, and I imagine that something like Void especially will have a lot of thematic clashing with region colors.

Also what is up with this cheesy Sivir Zed deck lol.

This isn't the exact list on leaderboard (actual one swaps 2 Reaper for 2 Ghost) but other than that this is the list he got to rank 1 (now 2) with:

E5jxz7dXEAQH3w3

Really makes you wonder how good Rubin would be if he actually played the game seriously rather than worked on it, he barely even has time to play the game and he's still coming up with really strong decks. For those that don't know, he's the guy that the Zoe Vi deck was named after as he was the one that largely established it.

Oct 27, 2017
Picture this:
• 2 month Expansion cycles
• 6 month Event cards for flavor and filling-in the gaps
• Balance patches every 2-4 weeks
• No sets are rotating out
• You never get cards banned and entire mechanics/playstyles removed from the ladder play
• All Free if you play the game, and not HS or MTGA free that you can own <30% Mythics/Rares so you gotta be careful/lucky

I am way more hyped for skins, emotes and pets than the cards. Give me a corrupt Teemo who plants rotten mushrooms.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
A second Shyvana second already? Damn, she's doing so well lately. I like the Ruination mini expansion but damn could've used some breathing room with the expansion, the content isn't stopping!

and

Riot: We feel Shadow Isles does too much
Also Riot: and now they're doing Dragons

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that Sivir Zed deck is a Rubin deck?

God damn what a beast. This is what like the 3rd deck he has created that the community never made? Insane stuff.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Picture this:
• 2 month Expansion cycles
• 6 month Event cards for flavor and filling-in the gaps
• Balance patches every 2-4 weeks
• No sets are rotating out
• You never get cards banned and entire mechanics/playstyles removed from the ladder play
• All Free if you play the game, and not HS or MTGA free that you can own <30% Mythics/Rares so you gotta be careful/lucky

If this ends up being the path forward, this is the GOAT CCG and it won't be close

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Just had the most frustrating match. All I needed was Nasus…literally just back and forth 400 IQ plays on either side until I was all out of options. Last round? I draw a Nasus AT FUCKING 28!!!! and they attack. Can't put the boy down. 3 out of the final 10 cards were Nasus :))))) Kindred pulled his WEIGHT but didn't have Nasus to finish. I was doing so well too…it was against a solid dragon deck and I was applying pressure all around. Sad.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Predict package is still weak, just as I expected. It's just too slow.

Looking at this expansion, I am wondering if Riot is subtly trying to make attacking on the "off" turn more common in game. They started with this free attack card for Demacia, then there was obviously Blade Dance and now we have the 2 mana lurk that starts the attack and Ekko spells that allow to rally/attack multiple times. Curious if that is something they identified as the area that could use more options for players to have something to do on every turn. Or maybe I am overthinking it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this expansion, I am wondering if Riot is subtly trying to make attacking on the "off" turn more common in game. They started with this free attack card for Demacia, then there was obviously Blade Dance and now we have the 2 mana lurk that starts the attack and Ekko spells that allow to rally/attack multiple times. Curious if that is something they identified as the area that could use more options for players to have something to do on every turn. Or maybe I am overthinking it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm guessing that they had free attacks in multiple regions in part to help synergize with other cards that were being introduced at the same time such as Azir's stuff and Irelia. It potentially can end up supporting champs like Quinn and MF who care about attacking too. Also they probably have an idea for what champs/archetypes they plan on doing a set or two down the line and they might be releasing cards now that might synergize with stuff that comes later. Adding a card or two which triggers a free attack in some regions are fairly low-cost in terms of card space and there's a lot of potential if they end up resulting in brand new archetypes for people to mess around with, even if just casually. It's important to have the potential for people to want to combine champions with multiple different region combos and feel like they're somewhat supported, even if they might not end up being viable in the end.

Also just want to say regular bi-weekly balance patches are never happening, it would have to force them to completely re-evaluate how they want to actually do balance in their game and it would almost undeniably be for the worse. Just to give you an idea of why it's a bad idea, if Riot was doing a balance patch for the upcoming patch they likely would have already had to have submitted changes by now, and at this point we still don't even know what makes up tier one yet. A week or so isn't enough time to really get a handle on the balance of any meta that is actually impacted by the previous balance changes/card releases. A reminder that Azir Irelia had similar win rates to other aggro decks and was trending downwards a week after release, and that was one of the most overpowered things they've released.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Wait, what's up with all these card reveals? We just got an expansion are they releasing another one soon? I rather they trickle down content when necessary, game's popping off now let the fuel burn.

Have been playing a moderate amount of time and with the exception of day 1, this is the best meta we ever had.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Wait, what's up with all these card reveals? We just got an expansion are they releasing another one soon? I rather they trickle down content when necessary, game's popping off now let the fuel burn.

Have been playing a moderate amount of time and with the exception of day 1, this is the best meta we ever had.
League of Legends has a Ruination event coming soon as well so this is most likely Riot trying to push cross-game synergy with similar events happening in different League related games at around the same time.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

League of Legends has a Ruination event coming soon as well so this is most likely Riot trying to push cross-game synergy with similar events happening in different League related games at around the same time.

right - this is a mini-expac not a full one

i do agree this is the healthiest the game has ever been. it rules. i think going forward, planning sets with the split in mind will be great, because this is clearly where they wanted to be after the whole set is out

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Predict package is particularly too slow but it is lacking in real win conditions. The win conditions that Ekko provides are value and board based but the two region combinations lack much board presence without Kahiri. Also Zilean's champ spell is really bad in most cases.

Attacking on off turn is probably the future to promote more proactive decks. Generally attacking is considered weaker in Runeterra for that reasons and other reasons. Bench champions usually have been stronger in the past (Ezrael, Karma, Lissandra, TF, Aphelios etc.) than attacking champions.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Rubin is legit. One does not simply win Pro Tours willy-nilly.

I feel like the audience still hasn't hit critical mass where I can say with relative certainty that every competitive deck had been discovered in their respective meta.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Man, the new Lulu/Jinx deck is super fun to play. I've been climbing with it for the last couple of days and it's been great. Current meta is legit nuts.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
A vital support card they didn't feature:
04SI054.png

Fixed mist text:
04SI045.png

Not entirely the same, but similar enough that I feel like Viego eats Kindred's lunch. Shame that in league, Viego steals dead champions, but that would be too strong to fully emulate in LoR.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's wild that we're getting what looks like another expansion-sized update weeks after the last one. Shit, the meta isn't even going to be figured out and suddenly there's an infusion of new cards that mixes things up even more. This is such an exciting time to be into this game.

Viego seems really powerful. One Encroaching Shadow and he's not even understatted for his cost. Luckily his level up seems like it might actually be really hard to pull off because getting him leveled and stuck on the board is probably game over. Although I get the feeling someone's going to come up with some spectral matron combos that turbo level him in a turn. Come to think of it, he might just work in the existing Matron-Cithria deck.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit we getting a new champions? Crazy.

Viego looks like a late game value monster but don't know how fast he can come online. Games might be over before that happens. The 3 mana card is just good standalone as it generates two bodies on summon which is usually good especially in a SI type deck.

And the 4 mana reverse Atrocity is nice too.

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely the same, but similar enough that I feel like Viego eats Kindred's lunch. Shame that in league, Viego steals dead champions, but that would be too strong to fully emulate in LoR.

I don't see it this way.

Kindred is the executioneer first, level-up growth is quite optional.
Viego is this ephemeral god, harvesting your own units to grow and repopulate.

Don't know exactly what Kindred needs to be "good", perhaps that level-up +2/+2 stuff is just meh. Perhaps she needs an Overwhelm on level-up, to put some real pressure instead of getting chump-blocked by the very same unit she is already marking.

Excited for Viego, a champion utliizing new mechanics and strategies. And because this isn't MTG, if they don't work well, tweaks will make it happen.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Man this Viego guy design is terrible. Might be the first for me in this game that I actively dislike. Is he a brother of a Chaos Final Fantasy guy or what?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kindred has a lot of issues that need to be fixed to be good. Fundamentally I think her lvl2 is just too boring/weak to matter. She also doesn't start growing until lvl2. Viego doesn't have those two issues, he grows without needing to level up and his level up is an actual win condition. That said Viego is much harder to level up than Kindred and has a higher deck building cost.

I could see running Viego in a SI Allegiance deck with Kallista and Mist Wraiths with Darkwater Scourge + Mother combo. You can get really high attack values on the Wraiths in the deck plus lots of death triggers for both Kallista and Viego.