• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Make those bears 5/5. 4 defence isn't good enough, feels like the wait isn't worth the stats. 5 health means that it doesn't die to 2 2-power units, or black spear, or many other 4-attack untis.

I WANT LANDMARKS TO WORK. A game where landmarks remain tier-2 means that you will never have fun strategies. Sure there are sets where Enchantments don't matter in MTG, but I feel like having "Landmarks don't matter" meta forever is just a net negative.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Make those bears 5/5. 4 defence isn't good enough, feels like the wait isn't worth the stats. 5 health means that it doesn't die to 2 2-power units, or black spear, or many other 4-attack untis.

I WANT LANDMARKS TO WORK. A game where landmarks remain tier-2 means that you will never have fun strategies. Sure there are sets where Enchantments don't matter in MTG, but I feel like having "Landmarks don't matter" meta forever is just a net negative.
Man I WISH landmarks were tier 2....

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree that LoR > MTG >>> HS

And it isn't the complexity, the interactivity and passing-nature of the game is what sells it for me.

• No mana problems
• Drawing every turn, untapping every turn:
• No "If you don't play any creatures this turn for me to counter, I will just play an instant at the end of your turn to draw 2 cards)

Bonuses:
• Business model much better
• Audio/visual presentation superior
• 2vs2 mode still a possibility which feels like "Never" in HS and "Maybe in 5 years" in MTGA
• Coin flips/RNG card-effects are MTG-level as opposed to HS

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this since early last year, how screwed am I if I want to have a somewhat functioning deck?

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Unless landmarks stop occupying units space, the archetype will never be good. It's really that simple, it's set up to fail by design.

Heard they let streamers play yesterday..., I really don't like that. People already copy tier lists, now you give the tier list creators time to optimize their theorycraft. I'm going to count the decks I face tomorrow and see this day 1 diversity.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Unless landmarks stop occupying units space, the archetype will never be good. It's really that simple, it's set up to fail by design.

Heard they let streamers play yesterday..., I really don't like that. People already copy tier lists, now you give the tier list creators time to optimize their theorycraft. I'm going to count the decks I face tomorrow and see this day 1 diversity.
Yeah a whole bunch of streamers were showcasing the cards yesterday, the best part of any TCG is when a set first drops and people try out a whole bunch of new deck ideas but whilst I think this event overall had good intentions it will no doubt lead to some netdecks from people for the Day 1 launch which is a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Both Zilean and Malphite might be shanked by Irelia's blades because the ninja swarm seems to be the counter to landmark rollout/combo stuff.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't kind of inevitable though? Folks netdeck day one anyway using list or recommendations from Pros and streamers. I don't see this affecting deck building at all in the grand scheme and granted, not the most organized presentation/showcase, I like it and it's no different from what other CCGs are doing let alone other games period.

But yeah, I wonder if they are considering a UI rework to accommodate landmarks so using them doesn't require board space. Doubtful.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017

Landmarks in Shadowverse (or amulets as they are called there) work fine. The pay off just needs to be much better then they currently are in LoR.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, ok...installing.

I started playing a week or so ago, after reading about it in another thread. I am now hooked! Coming from HS, It took me a bit to adapt and fully understand the back and forth flow of the game. UI/UX and some card descriptions could use some polishing IMO, but mechanically it's solid. What really sold me more than anything else is the monetization. The ability to buy any card with either in-game or store currency is great. I hated the slot machine type of transactions in HS. I highly recommend LOR to anybody whos is into CCG.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
OK, gave it a spin last night! Great production values and of course I love the League characters, so I'm already in the tank for the style/presentation. I wish that Senna was a champ and I didn't see Morgana either, those are my mains, man, come on. The flow of battle will take a bit for me because I'm used to Magic, so I thought that Bursts could really be used whenever, as advertised, but I have to learn the discipline of the combat phases and when I can do what. I do think that the game could communicate a few concepts better, like the keywords...quick attack sounds like haste, but everyone already has haste, so...oh, it's first strike. The concept of challenger also needs some better visual cues, I didn't understand what to do at first.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
OK, gave it a spin last night! Great production values and of course I love the League characters, so I'm already in the tank for the style/presentation. I wish that Senna was a champ and I didn't see Morgana either, those are my mains, man, come on. The flow of battle will take a bit for me because I'm used to Magic, so I thought that Bursts could really be used whenever, as advertised, but I have to learn the discipline of the combat phases and when I can do what. I do think that the game could communicate a few concepts better, like the keywords...quick attack sounds like haste, but everyone already has haste, so...oh, it's first strike. The concept of challenger also needs some better visual cues, I didn't understand what to do at first.

Have you tried doing the challenges? I find that they teach keywords pretty well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Landmarks in Shadowverse (or amulets as they are called there) work fine. The pay off just needs to be much better then they currently are in LoR.
It's tricky. As things stand, Landmarks can only be removed by Landmark-specific cards. So if you increase their payoffs to compensate for their current board-filler status, you create an unhealthy effect from a deckbuilding perspective.

Maybe change up how they work so they get a Toughness stat, somehow; that way you can remove them with damage if you really have to. That opens up more potential power.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I gotta echo what SunshinePuppies said. Doing the challenges will help you a lot in figuring out the basic concepts of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Have you tried doing the challenges? I find that they teach keywords pretty well.

I gotta echo what SunshinePuppies said. Doing the challenges will help you a lot in figuring out the basic concepts of the game.

OK, I gotta check out those challenges...I did the prologue stuff and just jumped into battles, assuming that I could ride on my CCG experience. I got 95% of it but there were still a few timing issues and other terminology things that the challenges may help me brush up on.

I got a mythic wildcard which I blew on a Fiora, she's pretty fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe change up how they work so they get a Toughness stat, somehow; that way you can remove them with damage if you really have to. That opens up more potential power.

No!

Landmarks should be like Artifacts/Enchantments. The problem is that they are just not powerful enough to warrant splicing any cards against.

We will get there. MTG certainly manages to have non-creatures on board without problems despite being a much slower and paper game.

Those countdown landmarks remind me of the Enchantments -Sagas, but Sagas are much better because they weren't ALL OR NOTHING type deals.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
OK, I gotta check out those challenges...I did the prologue stuff and just jumped into battles, assuming that I could ride on my CCG experience. I got 95% of it but there were still a few timing issues and other terminology things that the challenges may help me brush up on.

you get 100 exp a pop for completing them too. You'll find them under the play menu. They keep updating them every card drop so they're always current

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No!

Landmarks should be like Artifacts/Enchantments. The problem is that they are just not powerful enough to warrant splicing any cards against.

We will get there. MTG certainly manages to have non-creatures on board without problems despite being a much slower and paper game.

Those countdown landmarks remind me of the Enchantments -Sagas, but Sagas are much better because they weren't ALL OR NOTHING type deals.
But sets where Artifacts and Enchantments are strong tend to be balance nightmares. And MTG has a ton of "destroy an artifact OR" cards where you're not losing deckbuilding space by slotting it in; you're not gonna get Mystic Shot OR Landmark Destruction, most likely.

Oct 27, 2017
But sets where Artifacts and Enchantments are strong tend to be balance nightmares. And MTG has a ton of "destroy an artifact OR" cards where you're not losing deckbuilding space by slotting it in; you're not gonna get Mystic Shot OR Landmark Destruction, most likely.

But we also getting those "or destroy landmark" cards.

Some, and the keyword is some, MTG sets are bad because they are released on top of the sets that ignored enchantments/artifacts before. LoR has both advantages: balancing and non-rotating sets. Landmarks must be established as the core cards before LoR figures out what to do with the rotations.

If they don't figure out the "good" place for landmarks, then there will be the MTG scenario of some future expansion being overloaded with OP landmarks, and then you scramble to print anti-landmark cards/nerf entire decks.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Yeah, she is dope.

The next thing you'll notice is the Vault!

Every Thursday is Vault Day. It opens and you get a bunch of cards. Leveling the Vault to 5 gets you a random Champ. 10 gets you a Champ Wild card.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Isn't kind of inevitable though? Folks netdeck day one anyway using list or recommendations from Pros and streamers. I don't see this affecting deck building at all in the grand scheme and granted, not the most organized presentation/showcase, I like it and it's no different from what other CCGs are doing let alone other games period.

But yeah, I wonder if they are considering a UI rework to accommodate landmarks so using them doesn't require board space. Doubtful.
The way I see it.: day 1 decks, including taken from tier lists, will turn into day 2/3 decks. Experimentation is reduced when the optimal point for a deck is reached much faster. I think the most aggravated are seasonal players, who jump back at the start of each expansion to try new things before the dust settles, and do not enjoy following the meta and trying to break it aspect as much.

What's the unit limit in Shadowverse? Never played the game. I just don't think it works based off my experience trying to make it work, landmarks at this point are just support cards for a few decks.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
We can break down the landmarks into 3 sub-types:
  1. Permanent value engines (Emperor's Dais, Scarground, etc.)
  2. Short-term consumables (Blighted Ravine, Preservarium, etc.)
  3. Delayed units (Ancient Preparations, Hibernating Rockbear, etc.)
#2 is probably the strongest of the bunch and explores a cool space -- that is board effects that can't be blocked and are hard to counter with combat tricks.

#1, I've never been a fan of this design. Eeking out value on permanents adds a lot of draw RNG to get them down early. I'd prefer these stay more meme tier than not. Overbuffing these landmarks and then printing conditional tech cards to go against them is exactly the debate we had with elusives and reach.

I think #3 is a woefully underexplored space in LoR. I really like SV's approach to this, and I feel like LoR has been very, very conservative with their balancing. I wouldn't pay 4m for a vanilla 5/4, why would I pay 4m for this follower and get it 2 turns later? By turn 6, the possible +2/+2 feels largely irrelevant without some keywords. The duplication payoff isn't there either.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the fool still playing infinite scribes in May 2021. Something about it ticks my boxes when it actually works.

I get so much more BM using it too lmao.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Swim updated his site with new decks:

www.swimstrim.com

Runeterra Decks and Meta

Some older archetypes have been updated as well.

LMFAO @ Yasuo Malphite.

Yasuo-Malphite-lor-deck-c28btbejlsq1s0dm7620.png

Sooo bad though I do like his idea of using Startipped Peak with a few invoke cards. If the Yasuo/Malphite package doesn't work out then you can always just try to go for the Targon outgrind/outvalue game play with Invokes.

Countdown-Thralls-lor-deck-c265aemoa6av07htgjd0.png

I kinda like this deck from Swim although I would use two Clockhands in this. Imagined Possibilities seems like a really bad card IMO.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the fool still playing infinite scribes in May 2021. Something about it ticks my boxes when it actually works.

I get so much more BM using it too lmao.
One thing I love about this game is how viable random stuff on the fringe are. My fancy master-climbing meta deck just got blown out last night by someone running Kato + Horns of the Dragon.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also like that Lucian/Leona deck he posted but it's the most boring deck LOL. I would never run 3 Morning Lights though.

Daybreak-Stunlock-lor-deck-c27hh0bp903qa1qfvi6g.png

Surprised he didn't put out a Mono Shurima list.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played almost 20 games since patch and pretty much everyone playing Irelia + Azir lol.

Man Grumpy Rockbear is so bad. For some reason in my head it was Countdown 2 and still mediocre, to my shock to learn that it is actually 3 countdown LOL!

That said the Frozen Thrall deck is quite a bit better. Clock Hand doing work. If you can stall out then you can win, but stalling against these swarm decks is tricky.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mono Fiora counters this deck like 9-1. Vlad Scargrounds decks should stomp this deck too, Tahm Soraka and most faster aggro decks. And of course Thresh Nasus.

But certain other decks will get absolutely smashed by it. Should be around competitive tier 2 status.

Malphite decks though...

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
3x Ice Shard, 3x Wither Wails, 3x Blade Dance and Tough units.

I wish there was a card that was like a reverse Tarkaz. Where if you blocked, it would trigger a skill that did 1 damage to all units.
Problem with Wail and the rest are that you're spending 3+ mana on little tokens and not addressing the board advantage creep. The Box is the only one that deals with Irelia and the 4m. But yeah, a smattering of them can't hurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Spiral Stairs

What a shit card. 3 MANA for having a FLEETING +3/2 Overwhelm DURING THE 4th turn. Compared to something like Zenith Blade, which is +1/2 THIS TURN and give A COPY FOR FREE.

Foiled 3 Malphites, look really fucking good with Tough. Both Mal + Tal are fairly easy to level, but if you level them, you kind of lose to aggro.

Not having fun :( At least interesting Expeditions away tomorrow, had to play the ladder with Malphite :D

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Von Yipp Irelia is the most fun I've had with the new cards yet.

(Yipp buffs the blades)

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
looking at the roadmap, we should be seeing champion skins this month

Champ skins aren't on the roadmap that is in-game. It's possible that they got delayed.

Played almost 20 games since patch and pretty much everyone playing Irelia + Azir lol.

I can only assume that it's because it looked like the most promising/fun new archetype, because I don't think the deck is all that good. Alanzq played a bunch of games with a build vs Ashe Marauders and it won like 2 of 10 games. Pretty much any deck that can kill the Azirs and Inspiring Marshals that they play is in good shape because the blades and soldiers really aren't that threatening unless they're buffed up, and the deck also has the ephemeral problem of not being very good on defense either. You also have to run a lot of proactive cards to make the core gameplan work, which means you can't really make room for many of the excellent protective cards Ionia has. The deck might end up at tier 2 as sort of a meta counter pick as it is pretty good vs decks that can't blitz it down and can't kill its unit buffers, but I think that it's too weak against the current top decks that I'm skeptical that it'll stick around.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I guess folks thought it would be as strong/consistent as Azir/Lucian was when Shurima initially dropped.

I've been playing around with Teemo/EZ for a bit and stalled out wins against it. It seems strong on paper but once you remove Azir from the equation, it's a breeze to deal with; Iterative Improvement has been fun to use in this match up.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that deck lives and dies by Azir. It is insanely explosive though, so no wonder the ladder is full of it.

Experimented a bit with Irelia MF and Fiora Shurima but ended up going with Scargrounds with 3 Culling, feels pretty nice at the moment.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The deck will definitely be tier 2. It's similar to Scouts in that it can punish slow decks and has nut draws that can beat even bad match ups. It's weak to faster aggro and certain types of decks which is why it won't be tier 1.

Its super popular right now because it was an obvious synergy based NEW deck that was good out of the gate without much deck build problem solving. Zilean is much harder to make a deck with and Malphite is not that good in the eyes of most people so it was always going to be an Irelia deck that people try first.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
First day I saw:
- 11 Irelia
- 7 Azir
- 6 Miss Fortune
- 4 Zilian
- 3 Seujuani
- 3 Renekton
- 3 Riven
- 3 Draven

Diversity is lacking, although countering was starting to emerge a few hours in. I myself played an Miss Fortune/Irelia deck with Jagged Taskmaster, very entertaining deck. I'm curious to see which version comes out on top.

Second deck I tried was an Lissandra deck. The new landmark cards with advance are a breath of fresh air. Deck's fine so far, needs optimization and sample against more decks.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Irelia is cool but it kinda sucks that her blade dance part has so much strong synergy with Azir, that her other part, the position swapping abilities will never be as strong to build around. Syncopation is also cool but hard to find a deck that can sort of build around it. I also tried Malphite and the advance landmark cards as I thought being able to focus speed units and skills out could be interesting, but they are just really underpowered.

Anyway after not playing ranked for a long while, I'm back with another anti-meta aggro/midrange deck for ranked climb. It's a fearsome deck that can beat down Irelia decks before they come online, especially with turn one Baccai Reaper. It can also disrupt Thresh Nasus gameplan through board clears long enough to finish them around turn 5-7. Doesn't seem like anyone expects Spirit Fire right now so it just swings a lot of games around easily.

Ruin Runner, Rite of Negation, and Scrying Sands are less fundamental for the deck and can be swapped for other cards more useful against the decks you're facing. Could potentially swap the SI cloning cards in for better combo finisher potential, but current deck feels pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017
Play expedition:
• Pick Malphite, his bucket has one landmark
• Going to build a landmark expedition deck
• Not a single landmark offered afterwards

... Expeditions couldn't fuck you more if you pick Malphite. Can't play Malphite in ladder because fast decks dominate it.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
I keep dreaming of the Sun Disc desk and I keep getting frustrated becasue of it. I just don't understand why they even introduced the concept and then they made Shurima so.... fair. If they were worried about the region being too strong, they should have introduced strong cards that only work due to Allegiance or something. Other regions all have their bonkers cards that allow them to cheat mana, gain tempo, kill stuff, draw a lot of cards, heal, whatever. Shurima has nothing*. Why can't the 2 mana predict guy predict and draw at the same time? Rite of Negation can kill the whole stack of spells, but it does not really happen often, so it just feels like a worse Deny. Spinning Sandspinner's health is so low it gets killed by everything etc.

*they have Shaped Stone and Merciless Hunter but that's not enough

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I keep dreaming of the Sun Disc desk and I keep getting frustrated becasue of it. I just don't understand why they even introduced the concept and then they made Shurima so.... fair. If they were worried about the region being too strong, they should have introduced strong cards that only work due to Allegiance or something. Other regions all have their bonkers cards that allow them to cheat mana, gain tempo, kill stuff, draw a lot of cards, heal, whatever. Shurima has nothing*. Why can't the 2 mana predict guy predict and draw at the same time? Rite of Negation can kill the whole stack of spells, but it does not really happen often, so it just feels like a worse Deny. Spinning Sandspinner's health is so low it gets killed by everything etc.

*they have Shaped Stone and Merciless Hunter but that's not enough
They have the 4 mana 3/2 Draw a Champion and give it +2/+2. This is a strong effect and they also have Right of Calling. Combined with Predicts, Shurima is the most consistent region in the game at executing their game plans.

The new 1 mana -2 and Predict card is strong too. Quicksand is a high potential card and so is Hourglass. They have ability to disrupt similar to Ionia. They have potential Fearsome synergy in the future and the top tier Slay/Nasus package.

Then of course there is the Swarm package with Azir that works well in a couple of decks. There are high potential cards like Sivir and Ruin Runner that could explode in a mid range Shurima deck combined with so many ways to grant enemies Vulnerable (Shurima is pretty much the Vulnerable region now over Bilgewater). The space where they are lacking the most is the landmark stuff.