• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Snagged from the subreddit here (only JUST realizing that these aren't official >_>):
lo0cny8fbnk61.png

Azir seems straightforwardly crazy strong, and that's before you get into the madness that is his level 3. General's Palace wtf, Emperor's Prosperity... Good goddamn.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Emperor's Posterity... wow only twice as bad as Rummage in a TF + Fizz deck. Lol!

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Emperor's Posterity... wow only twice as bad as Rummage in a TF + Fizz deck. Lol!

TBH I feel like Rummage is due for a nerf at some point. In most decks it's ran in it is very close to being 1 mana draw 2, and I feel like there's too many cards that enable it at this point (Chump Whump, Mountain Goat, Draven, Ballistic Bot just to name some of them) that I feel like it would be easier to nerf Rummage instead of all of the cards that enable it. That being said Ballistic Bot also probably needs some attention at some point too as it does a bit too much and is a bit too survivable for a 2-drop.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ballistic Bot, Rummage, Burglefish and Poro Cannon are all due for a nerf. It's sad that P&Z has to suffer for the sins of TF but that's the break. Not like Yasuo hasn't suffered for Ionia's sins in the past.

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I love token/swarm type decks in other TCGs (especially Magic) so I'm pretty pumped for Azir! Thanks for posting all those deck ideas Dahbomb , I always enjoy looking over them when you post em. I also just realized I'm gonna need to get used to playing regular Runeterra again, been playing too much Lab of Legends and that skews how I think about playing the game, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, no lizard in pets, just the usual monkey/dogs...

And the new pet is again, a fox, really wanted something more exotic like a scorpion.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the event isn't in the game yet? I don't see a way to purchase the event pass, at least.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Title updated and thread moved. Just went with the first thing somebody suggested 'cause nothing really seemed to stick out. Still open to suggestions.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Made a last minute Lucian + Azir deck and its pretty good. Will post list when I get home.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was playing and someone put down two Sun Discs, leveled up Azir and instantly procced Sun Disc.

Either this is a bug or having two Sun Discs discounts twice for leveling an Ascendant. This actually makes Mono Shurima kinda good. People are running 3 Taliyah to get Sun Disc consistently.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My prized Zoe deck was destroyed by Azir., loved it.
I'm pretty sure they'll nerf the hell of it lol

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Have been trying out the Shurima Fiora deck, it's pretty fun. It seems to have just a bit too many bad matchups at the moment, like LeBlanc (too much damage early makes it hard to stabilize + culling strike), Lissandra (freljord with access to hourglass makes Fiora cry) and Discard Aggro (just too few units, you're forced to play proactively making you open to get excited).

Still, hourglass with Fiora is insane. Ultra cheap spell that even preserves your barriers for the next turn if you happen to have them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mono-Shurima Azir looks like it simply demands anti-Landmark tech. If you let the Sun Disk level up, you're just doomed. The rest of the deck also looks good tho so...

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is my Demacia Scouts Swarm Azir deck:

Played a few games and the package of Dune Keeper, Emperor's Dai, Azir and Desert's Wrath are mandatory to play any type of Azir deck. You really don't need much else but these cards are core here.

The Demacia package is mostly just Scouts plus Cataclysm. Cataclysm when used on a Scout is like a Rally + Single Combat which is devastating especially when the Scout attacks are also summoning the Sand Soldiers. Lucian as more access to Rally like effects and synergy with the death triggers.

Normally I used as many good scouts as possible but didn't use Genieveve as she doesn't have synergy with the Sand soldiers. Cithria instead is much better. Emperor's Divide is a one off bomb card to close out games or defend against a big attack if need be. Not sure about this card but I had an open slot so trying it out.

Originally I had Senna instead of Desert's Wrath but she wasn't cutting it (even though she was fine in the deck). Getting your Sand Soldiers to generate additional value is pretty important with this deck.

The Bilgewater version is also pretty good and swarmy as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is my Demacia Scouts Swarm Azir deck:

Played a few games and the package of Dune Keeper, Emperor's Dai, Azir and Desert's Wrath are mandatory to play any type of Azir deck. You really don't need much else but these cards are core here.

The Demacia package is mostly just Scouts plus Cataclysm. Cataclysm when used on a Scout is like a Rally + Single Combat which is devastating especially when the Scout attacks are also summoning the Sand Soldiers. Lucian as more access to Rally like effects and synergy with the death triggers.

Normally I used as many good scouts as possible but didn't use Genieveve as she doesn't have synergy with the Sand soldiers. Cithria instead is much better. Emperor's Divide is a one off bomb card to close out games or defend against a big attack if need be. Not sure about this card but I had an open slot so trying it out.

Originally I had Senna instead of Desert's Wrath but she wasn't cutting it (even though she was fine in the deck). Getting your Sand Soldiers to generate additional value is pretty important with this deck.

The Bilgewater version is also pretty good and swarmy as well.
Says the deck's private

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I see it now :)

Looks dope. Azir and that landmark have gotta give a ton of free value to Scouts.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LMFAOO Ascendant's Rise doesn't level up champions in deck...

Man what a scuffed archetype they have made here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine playing a deck where the entire deck gets countered by a single card:

unknown.png

This is what peak despair looks like. Set up the entire thing perfectly for the Sun Disc + Champions flip with the Ascended's Rise only to have the Sun Disc removed at the exact interval. Yeah I could have played around that card and saved Deny for it but by then the 7/7 Challengers would have started picking off my champions and this 7 mana card doesn't level champions in your deck lol!

Actually won a lot of games in Unranked with it mostly because both Renekton and Azir aren't hard to level up and the deck allows you to draw into them fairly consistently. I think you have to run a combination of Azir support cards and a couple of Renekton support cards to get their level ups. Ascendant's Rise as a back up turbo level up condition. I think this list I am running is probably the best shot you have of making this deck viable.

Last edited:

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I gotta say, Azir is definitely my favorite new champion so far. Shurima/SI ephemeral swarm is pretty sweet. It gets hard countered by any fiora deck but I auto-concede anytime I see her face anyway. Ain't nobody got time for that.

EDIT: Why is this thread not in hangouts?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that 2vs2 mode is well made. The premade decks that are given are so linear and mindless that you simply cannot have any fun, you just play cards on-curve and that is about it. It is like tutorial decks...

I hope that this 2vs2 popularity isn't going to get in the way of the future 2vs2 modes.

Expansion really good: some cards clearly overperforming, but because this isn't a paper game, we are going to have the best of both:
• Really fun mechanics that need some tunning that simply isn't doable with internal playtesting
• Balanced expansion that doesn't need to be banned, gutted or rotated out for the game to be fun

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They are still iterating on the 2v2 and its already much better than the VS AI one.

However, there is something off about the flow of it. For some reason it takes much longer than a normal game, seems like everyone is roping. Might be something that players have to get accustomed to over time.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it just feels like that because you only interact every second turn? I played 3 or 4 rounds, won all, but man it was boring. And I don't mind playing with pre-made or random cards like we had labs in the past, in fact, I haven't made a deck ever since the very first Targon expansion.

I just think that the deck selections for 2vs2 are simply uninteresting for anyone but beginners.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW, the people I've been paired up with in 2v2 have been 200% more competent than vs AI.

I think making the decks more beginner friendly is the correct move here. They want you to invite your friend to try out LoR with 2v2. Giving them some galaxy brain decks wouldn't work out well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People who concede just as you activate the Sun Disc are some real scum. Let me see those animations!

Oct 27, 2017
5-7-6

Heh... Really not seeing myself completing the Pass in three weeks. Expected the 2vs2 Labs to cover for the limited expeditions...

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
So, while ephemeral doesn't trigger your slay key word, it seems to trigger the opponents. That can't be intended either.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, while ephemeral doesn't trigger your slay key word, it seems to trigger the opponents. That can't be intended either.
You mean if you attack with your Ephemerals and it hits their Nexus (and dies after) it still counts for their slay?

If so thats a bug and a very powerful one at that considering a lot of people are running Aggro Baccai decks right now as well as Azir Ephemeral decks.

If the Ephemeral triggers slay when the opponent blocks with their unit then that might be working as intended although still counter intuitive.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Kindred marked the next unit in line after a Sand dude hit the nexus. In another game I was staring down an early 11/11 Nasus. Go me!

That Bloodletter/Braum bug is annoying too, even if it can be a big boon.

Oh, Cataclysm and double attack makes the second strike hit the nexus without overwhelm. Ok, then.

Boy, this is quite an expansion we got here.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Yo why cannot I buy the Happy Shyvanna Emote?

Lil Peanut Brotha Are there any plans about legacy emotes being available for purchase at some time in the future?
I know on League there are times where we bring back seasonal items/skins, etc. I don't know what the plans are for that on LoR though at the moment though! Also sorry if I'm not that helpful when it comes to many questions, I spend most of my time on the client / UI itself vs. in-game content stuff.

I hope happy Shyvana returns for you some day!

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Took a break just before Aphelios came out and now I want to play him so bad. Feels like eveyone's pretty tired of him, so maybe I'll wait.

Been playing a ton of Taliyah and Kindred. Sivir feels way stronger than I thought she'd be, but having a hard giving her keywords after level up.

My very first deck was Kindred/Nasus. My very first opponent was Targon who hushed my Undying AND my 13/13 Nasus. That's messed up.

Looking for a good control deck, maybe Liss, but I don't have any Trundles. Anyone find anything fun?

Been absolutely destroying everyone with LeBlanc.

Very fun. :)

Doing dog's work. LB was robbed.

Lil Peanut Brotha
Cool that you're doing more client UX/UI work, Riot's always been good with that stuff. Iove the work you and the artists have put into the home screen portraits. I was thinking about learning to do that kind of thing in my free time.

Any advice on what kind of techniques or software you'd need to get into that?

Last edited:

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Doing dog's work. LB was robbed

Reddit entirely overreacted. (big surprise)

From a design perspective when they make champions they choose to either represent their League gameplay or to represent their lore. An example of the latter is Aurelion Sol who doesn't resemble his LoL gameplay like, at all, but something like Jarvan is heavy on his League gameplay.

They just chose to do the LoL gameplay. LeBlanc is a burst assassin. She jumps in, kills someone near instantly, and rarely gets punished, but if she does she dies easily. That's 100% represented with her current 5/2 Quick Attack self. Her League version has almost fuck all to do with her lore too, LeBlanc's "trickery" doesn't exist past the lowest levels of League gameplay who get fooled by her bad decoy. I know some people there think that her being attack focused means "ADC lul" except Katarina, Anivia, Zoe, Diana, Swain, and Taliyah are all characters who build AP in League and do almost all of their damage from spells yet are built around attacking in LoR.

From a power perspective, she's incredible and the people who thought she sucked fell for the same damn logic that made people think Zoe is weak. "Dies to removal" is not a valid argument, basically every single card in the game except Burst spells can die to removal. Your opponent has limited removal, less removal than you have cards because their entire deck isn't removal. Just like Zoe being able to die to Vile Feast/Mystic Shot didn't make her useless, neither does it LeBlanc.

Currently sitting at a 75% win rate with LeBlanc/Fiora at Diamond 4 now. They both take over the game if they're not removed, and anything that isn't control doesn't have enough removal to stop both.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Reddit entirely overreacted. (big surprise)

From a design perspective when they make champions they choose to either represent their League gameplay or to represent their lore. An example of the latter is Aurelion Sol who doesn't resemble his LoL gameplay like, at all, but something like Jarvan is heavy on his League gameplay.

They just chose to do the LoL gameplay. LeBlanc is a burst assassin. She jumps in, kills someone near instantly, and rarely gets punished, but if she does she dies easily. That's 100% represented with her current 5/2 Quick Attack self. Her League version has almost fuck all to do with her lore too, LeBlanc's "trickery" doesn't exist past the lowest levels of League gameplay who get fooled by her bad decoy. I know some people there think that her being attack focused means "ADC lul" except Katarina, Anivia, Zoe, Diana, Swain, and Taliyah are all characters who build AP in League and do almost all of their damage from spells yet are built around attacking in LoR.

From a power perspective, she's incredible and the people who thought she sucked fell for the same damn logic that made people think Zoe is weak. "Dies to removal" is not a valid argument, basically every single card in the game except Burst spells can die to removal. Your opponent has limited removal, less removal than you have cards because their entire deck isn't removal. Just like Zoe being able to die to Vile Feast/Mystic Shot didn't make her useless, neither does it LeBlanc.

Currently sitting at a 75% win rate with LeBlanc/Fiora at Diamond 4 now. They both take over the game if they're not removed, and anything that isn't control doesn't have enough removal to stop both.

Thank you for the follow-up, it was very insightful.

Glad to hear you've had success because her voice lines are amazing and it's looking like she'll be good with Ashe, who I also like!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Leblanc is fine in an Ashe deck and a lot of Noxus aggressive decks mostly because Runeterra doesn't have many good 3 drops to begin with. Like people used Senna in the past and Senna is basically worse LeBlanc.

Most of the complaint surrounding Leblanc was that she was "Lebland" when compared to the other new Champions. She is also worse than Sivir when compared directly but Leblanc matches Noxus better than Sivir matches Shurima.

Now that said. . I do think Nassus is just plain bad.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Lil Peanut Brotha
Cool that you're doing more client UX/UI work, Riot's always been good with that stuff. Iove the work you and the artists have put into the home screen portraits. I was thinking about learning to do that kind of thing in my free time.

Any advice on what kind of techniques or software you'd need to get into that?

Thanks, A couple others and I worked on the Set 2/3/SpiritBlossom/KDA intro and homescreens! And the Ashe patcher :D

I think it depends for how you want to make animated art like that. A lot of people make stuff kinda like that in Wallpaper engine, so if your starting from 0 maybe that's a good place to go. If you already know after effects, you could go that route. I recorded tutorials on the approach we took for Login Screens, which I worked on for like 5 years on League. LoR itself is made with Unity, which is an entirely different beast, but at the end of the day our homescreens are just 3D work, so you could use any package to split the art up into a similar type of scene and add effects. Like Blender which is free!

If your just doing it for fun, want quick results, go with Wallpaper engine. AE if you already know it and want to animate things in detail, and Blender/3D if you want to make stuff that could be used in a scene or in-game. Hope that helps, lemme know if you have any more questions!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be curious to see which Azir deck comes out on top. There are a few contenders for sure.

Azir Ephemerals
Azir Baccai Aggro
Azir Lucian Scouts

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for yall to upload a Taliyah/Lissandra deck (that's good-ish), I've been getting both a lot in ARAM this past week so I know it's a sign!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for yall to upload a Taliyah/Lissandra deck (that's good-ish), I've been getting both a lot in ARAM this past week so I know it's a sign!
I dont think this shell works particularly well together. Taliyah is also not as strong as she looks because unlike Anivia, her effect goes away if she dies in combat. That said her and Aphelios + Veiled Temple is solid.

Oct 27, 2017
I see ZeroX has run into the trouble with the law, F. You just had to go into the political/social threads at the same time the EXPANSION LAUNCHES!

Who is going to respond to my shitposts now?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow the Predict mechanic has a "Skip" button where you can choose to not pick one of the 3 options!

This should have been in the tutorial... this also makes Predict much stronger than before.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mapped out the Emperor's Deck because I was not able to get the 10 mana Ascended's Call in any of the games I played.

These were the results (tested against AI obviously, people generally concede when you get the Emperor's Deck):

Total Deck Size = 15 Cards

4x Emperor's Guard

2x Eternal Gladiator

2x Golden Herald

2x Emperor's Posterity

1x Shimmering Mirage

1x General's Palace

1x Crumbling Sand

1x Sandstorm

1x Ascended's Call

And in all the games I tried it... Ascended's Call has always been at the bottom of the deck lol! The others feel like they are random.

That's a bummer, I don't know why they did that. Normally you just win the game due to your lvl3 champions more than anything. Shimmering Mirage especially closes out the game the turn its played if you play it on a lvl3 champion.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I built my first deck from scratch feat. Ezreal/Taliyah and it's working out weirdly great so far; it relies on the flexibility of stoneweaving and face smashing of Ezreal. It only has 5 landmarks (x2 Ancient Preparations and 3x Perservarium; not counting created landmarks).

Stoneweaving is kind of insane and has actually lead me to winning matches that definitely were not in my favor.

Desert Naturalist is great, she can be very clutch. It's a fairly spell heavy deck but not solely to activate EZ.

Prediction plays a part to a small degree but so far I've consistently haven't had no issues otherwise.

Taliyah doesn't feel clunky here; With how flexible stoneweaving is, she has no problem leveling up.

But seriously, Stoneweaving is the star of the show; access to the various region landmarks (depending on mana —and another layer of strategy) has won me a few matches). I won one match just dropping 3 Frozen Thralls (1 was duped by Taliyah) early/mid game and held off with spells and blockers till they activated and ended the match, first time I gauged a match up and thought way ahead. I closed out another match with double EZ (Ancient Hourglass).

While I am enjoying it, I don't think it's perfect and feel like there definitely a few cards that can swapped out here and there BUT I feel like there is something there. I'm not good at the deck building stuff and wanted to get opinions.

tl;dr it's a fairly flexible deck consisting of Taliyah and Ezreal.

Love Rite of Negation too, it's such a great card. Ah, here's the deck code and please let me know if there is room for improvement and/or it's a fluke (used on my main and secondary account):https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/c11v8ea9l3tvc2uf9s7g

Last edited: