• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Reputation reads clunky but I don't think anyone playing for it will have trouble keeping track. You're either playing a deck that's built for reputation on purpose or it's a dead keyword (and you likely aren't playing those cards). It's something that's determined basically in the deck building step.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
also I'll be watching the US tournament, I've been totally out of the loop for competitive this patch, gotta catch up right before the end I guess lol

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The cards that have Reputation will probably glow up when Reputation is active.

Issue is that there isn't enough Reputation pay off. I am hoping for some crossover from Noxus in that there is a second region which actual Reputation pay off cards.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sivir!

2dlygny1y1k61.png

Somehow still less embarrassing than her League splashart.

"5 Damage Matters" is very weird, but Payday could be real strong if you get lucky. Do we think it counts overflow damage? Not with Overwhelm, but specifically "5 strength chumpblocked by 1 toughness" situations. If so, could be decent. Still massively clunky. It looks like it'll synergize with LeBlanc as well, going off of some stream leaks, and there are other mercenary champs out there; wonder if they're going to tie them all to this mechanic? Noxus gets an obvious one with Samira, but it feels like it could potentially get squeezed into Bilgewater under Graves.

Well, in any case, Sivir and Ruin Runner are both crazy efficient, so maybe it works out anyway.

The cards that have Reputation will probably glow up when Reputation is active.

Issue is that there isn't enough Reputation pay off. I am hoping for some crossover from Noxus in that there is a second region which actual Reputation pay off cards.

Can confirm that second bit.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are there reveals for today or is it only the tournaments?

Euro finals is aggro mirror lol.

Imagine not playing Fizz TF lol. This is probably the first uncounterable deck in the game we have had, same as Aph + TF. People brought triple aggro line up to beat them and that just wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wraptero with this genius Riven + Vi Midrange Discard deck. Won a game against a Lee Sin player through a huge misplay from the Lee player.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Can we get some casters with enthusiasm and charisma please

I assume they'll swap out to better ones later like last time

e: fuck the Australia hate!

Last edited:

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Too much downtime between matches from the production side. Aside from this unusual technical difficulty. 2 matches shown in 3 hours, of the 24 that went on for these two rounds so far. Would be nice to be able to get recordings of these matches to cut to, or to get clips to break down. Instead of awkward talking heads.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wraptero is actually a genius.

These matches actually have been pretty great despite being the expected TF/Fizz and Aphelios spam. Actually some interesting decks in the mix.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The EU and SEA tournaments already revealed the noxus cards and I'm really surprised by the direction it went. Noxus easily got the most meta defining card this upcoming patch with black rose spy. It totally trivializes the effort to create multiple champions on the board and so many Champs are busted if you can reliably summon 2 of them in 1 or 2 turns.

Really interested in this radical option for noxus.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The EU and SEA tournaments already revealed the noxus cards and I'm really surprised by the direction it went. Noxus easily got the most meta defining card this upcoming patch with black rose spy. It totally trivializes the effort to create multiple champions on the board and so many Champs are busted if you can reliably summon 2 of them in 1 or 2 turns.

Really interested in this radical option for noxus.
Any screens or videos of these? I have not seem them on the usual places.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh you need Reputation for Black Rose Spy, and as was (rightly) pointed out with Sivir's cards, Reputation is kind of a PITA to get online.

AND you need to have successfully swung in with the champ (if you don't have any X strikes Y cards). And if it's not Strongest, you need to have it do so alone.

Idk, there's a lot of overhead there.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

I am guessing Mimic is the Champ spell of LeBlanc.

Yeah this is a wild direction for Noxus with straight up cloning allies including Champions. I don't know where they can best use it.

The strongest card in there is actually the 4 mana Draw 2. Noxus having access to unconditional draw is massive.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh they just played the Leblanc champion video during Semi Finals!

Man the music in this is godly!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah this is an interesting direction for Noxus, I don't know how good Reputation/LeBlanc will be, I just know it'll be better than Vlad

Also cloning that Doombeast to survive was a tight play from Ian

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't a Counterfeit win. That was a Burglefish win since that was what allowed the player to get both Counterfeit and Rummage.

Yeah Burglefish is actually nutty. But that play at the end was absolutely insane. The recognition to go for it was super big brain especially when you could have died to Puffcap damage.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean eventually Counterfeit Coin is going to be a nutty card. I think in this deck you might even main deck it and it would be perfectly fine to use since the deck draws so much. This is a very high scaling card.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017

sweeet, she is my go to mid, only second to Ahri.

Edit: most excited I've been for an expansion in a while. But I think the oppressive Targon/invoke/spell heavy meta may be a huge factor.

Combat phaaasssseee.

Last edited:

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Ahri is my main, I have been trying to never look up the leaks just so I don't lose hope that I might get surprised with an Ahri reveal soon.

I would guess that she will end up maybe "stealing" a follower when attacking? (charming)

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
In one of the tournament interviews they explained they put a lot planning into choosing champions based on lore and game mechanics they want to introduce. They don't care much about popularity of champions in League.

Their words were "We generally want to provide both champions that players would like to see, but also champions that help us make fulfilling sets. We take great care with our selection of Champions in each set. Diversity or a whole sets champion lineup, how they fit into the set set theme, fitting in."

They definitely do care about champ popularity of champs, that's why the game launched with Garen, Lux, Darius, Katarina, Ashe, Ezreal, Jinx, and Teemo. It's just one of the factors that they use to choose champs and not the only factor.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Their words were "We generally want to provide both champions that players would like to see, but also champions that help us make fulfilling sets. We take great care with our selection of Champions in each set. Diversity or a whole sets champion lineup, how they fit into the set set theme, fitting in."

They definitely do care about champ popularity of champs, that's why the game launched with Garen, Lux, Darius, Katarina, Ashe, Ezreal, Jinx, and Teemo. It's just one of the factors that they use to choose champs and not the only factor.
I didn't say they didn't care. I said they didn't care much.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Leblanc seems like the worst champion of the set thus far.

Oh it seems Reddit is already super memeing about her lol!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Please be good emotes, please no barely animated, random animation or split meme emotes...

Is it safe to assume that Azir is the final champion, no Amumu Rammus or Skarner?

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I want to blame Chinese audience's humanoid preference, fun weird designs like Amumu or Rammus probably don't fit the lore/world to be prioritized, artifacts of the 2009.

Last edited:

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say they didn't care. I said they didn't care much.

I guess we have a different definition of "much" because especially early on I think that champ popularity effected their champ choices quite a bit. The Targon expansion cycle was the first time they added in any champs that were made in the past 5 years, and many of the big champs coming into the Shurima expansion are also still popular ones. Like I said, it's not the only factor when it comes to champ picks but it's one of the bigger ones.

Is it safe to assume that Azir is the final champion, no Amumu Rammus or Skarner?

We already know what all but one or two of the champs for the Shurima expansion cycle are going to be, Azir is pretty much guaranteed to be the last champ in the initial expansion, and
Malphite and Zilean
will be the two Shurima champs that will be added later.

As much as I want to blame Chinese audience's humanoid preference, fun weird designs like Amumu or Rammus probably don't fit the lore/world to be prioritized, artifacts of the 2009.

Those designs don't do very well in the West either. In league most non-humanoid champs are only popular when they're very strong and they generally have extremely low pick rates otherwise, regardless of region. Additionally I don't really know what Amumu and Rammus would really bring to LoR anyway because I don't feel like their kits really are begging to be adapted and I don't know what followers they'd bring to the table. I feel like Skarner would make more sense than both of those two.

Oct 27, 2017
Amumu and Rammus would bring the S-tier emotes: Crying and OK

And Rammus is the champion who is going to bring Challenger with Reflect Damage mechanic. Perfect for remaking Rammus mechanics in cards (Tank, Taunt, Reflect Damage), perfect for Runeterra as a card-mechanic that hasn't been implemented yet.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for the best time of LoR... the deck theory crafting.

I feel like we can make most decks that the expansion has to offer minus the Shurima all in Sun Disk deck and whatever deck the unknown champion fits in.

Here's what I have thus far:

Renekton + Darius Overwhelm

unknown.png

Nothing fancy here, just good ol' fashion smorcing. Utilizing Shaped Stone which is an incredibly powerful card for an aggressive deck and for that we are using some Landmarks. The Roiling Sands are pretty good for this deck because being able to grant crappy enemy followers Vulnerable is good for most of the deck especially for Renekton.

Renekton + Sejuani Overwhelm

unknown.png

Basically the same deck just with Noxus cards swapped out for Frejlord. This one has a huge hole in the 3 drop slot, there aren't any good 3 drops to run here and we are basically forced to use something like Mighty Poro here. Battlefury instead of Decisive Manuever for the open attack finisher. Quick Sands taken out for triple Troll Chants as that card is just too godlike.

Now this deck is spicy.

Watcher Retreat Return OTK
unknown.png

It's a Lissandra Watcher OTK deck on turn 8. Basically the idea is to use Retreat + Return on Ice Pillar to burst out a Watcher and end the game on the spot at turn 8. The rest of the deck is similar to the Feel the Mina deck that was used in the previous seasonal tournament. Deck also features some good targets for Retreat Return like Shadow Assassin, Concussive Palm and Tavern Keeper in case you don't have the combo.

Traditional Freljord + SI Lissandra OTK Control

unknown.png

This one is much more traditional deck featuring Lissandra. Pure Control game plan, win with Ledros Atrocity combo or Lissandra OTK. The OTK here involves Fading Memories into Ice Pillar for Watcher and can also be used on Ledros.

Undying Kindred

unknown.png

The best competitive deck to play Kindred is going to be Go Hard with Kindred (hence why there is only 1 . However I think there is a lot of synergy between Kindred and Undying decks. Most of the kill your own unit stuff procs Kindred's marks. Going Shurima splash for the Vulnerable effects and Spirit Fire being basically a better Withering Wail in most cases.

Taliyah + Lissandra Landmark

unknown.png

This is the best I could come up with for a Taliyah deck. It has the alternate win condition of Frozen Thrall into Draklorn Inquisitor. Generally just stall the board early, try to flip Taliyah then go to town on them. Keep units alive with Ancient Hour Glass and Troll Chant. Use Roilling Sands to challenge enemies with Taliyah. If game goes late then your Thralls flip and Lissandra too. No idea how good this type of deck is going to be. 3 Desert Naturalist is going to carry this deck with the natural combo of Lissandra into Desert Naturalist into Taliyah on some landmark.

Riven + Sivir Allegiance

unknown.png

I think best Sivir deck is just going to be a standard Noxus overwhelm list where you are just swapping Champions around. This one is a bit more interesting in my eyes as it takes more advantage of the level up condition of Sivir granting keywords and Riven's inherent value of adding keywords into the mix. You have more spread out threats with Ruin Runner, Sivir and Riven being good buff targets for Blade of Exile. Went Allegiance route since I needed another juicy 4 drop into the mix. Whirling Deaths are in there in order to try to level up Sivir quicker if possible.

Jarvan Elite

unknown.png

The quintessential midrange deck featuring Elites. Plaza is pretty essential for the deck as are the 3 Penitent Squire to get pick offs and enable Jarvan. I am not running the new minions because they are too conditional with out that much pay off. Cithria the Bold and King Jarvan 3 as finishers. Golden Aegis as a better Rally for this deck. Bannerman because might as well. Brightsteel and Grizzle Ranger are too strong cards not to include even in an Elite deck. For 2nd color splash, Shurima is pretty cool with Renekton and the Vulnerable spells however then the build goes in a different direction.

Greenfang Warden looks like an insane pick here but it actually makes a lot of sense in this deck.

*Elite tag so there are synergies in play. Curving from Battlesmith makes this a formidable 3/3 with Divine Shield and Scout.
*Strong with Grand Plaza, can pick off two targets.
*Jarvan can use his Cataclysm skill on Greefang to get a Rally trigger going since Greenfang is a Scout.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man Riot be trolling only nerfing Aphelios (by 1 HP) and no change to TF + Fizz package or Burglefish. The delayed patching process strikes again.

Azir looks cool and the level up condition is pretty easy. Azir + Hecarim has natural synergy though I don't think Azir actually needs Hecarim.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Miscellaneous
  • Increased the maximum number of deck slots in the Collection from 30 > 50.
  • Known issue - cross-shard friend challenge has been disabled until patch 2.4.0 to address several high-severity bugs. We apologize for the inconvenience; please keep an eye out for additional updates.
Edit:
I hadn't seen this card:
04SH059.png

Given that is a fast spell; it means any enemy fast spell cast after this as a response; would still be executed right?

Last edited:

eamono

Nov 17, 2020
Miscellaneous
  • Increased the maximum number of deck slots in the Collection from 30 > 50.
  • Known issue - cross-shard friend challenge has been disabled until patch 2.4.0 to address several high-severity bugs. We apologize for the inconvenience; please keep an eye out for additional updates.
Edit:
I hadn't seen this card:
04SH059.png

Given that is a fast spell; it means any enemy fast spell cast after this as a response; would still be executed right?

yeah, thats how I would expect it to work, it will cancel all things that are ahead of it in the stack, so it'll be great against cards like riptide rex, karma, leveled TF

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Those Emperor's Deck cards must be gainable other ways in the (next part of the) set, it'd be wild to just make 9 cards for an obscure level up.

Also I'm in for that event pass at launch

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They could easily do a Targon pay off that replaces your deck with Celestial cards. I don't know ow if that would even be that that though, like these Emperor cards are actually absurdly broken where as the Invoke cards are like 1-2 less cost than they should be.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They're probably more comparable to Treasure cards, there'll be an expensive card that gives you one or two in deck or something

Oct 27, 2017
Emotes looking good.

Got like 500 coins, will purchase the rest to unlock the pass. While I am not interested in anything else in the pass, I suppose there is no direct-to-purchase pack this time.

LoR_Patch-Notes-2-03-Emote_lineup.png

Maybe there will be the lizard pet variant, that would be nice.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Also I really like the last champ revealed, easier to level than the others and versatile. Helps glue the Sun Disc strategy together.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How are some people able to play the 2v2 labs?

Anyway here is my Azir deck:

Azir Ionia Swarm Deck

unknown.png

Feels like Ionia had some good synergy for small, swarm the board type playstyle and can somewhat cheat units out. Zed has great synergy with Azir so that was my starting point. Greenglade Duo could get really beefy with this. There are only 5 potential landmarks in this so I opted for 2 Shaped Stone even though that card is potentially nuts in this deck. Definitely 3 of Desert's Wrath to have some ability to utility Field Musician's mana. 1 of Emperor's Divide as a finisher.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Another idea that came to mind with Azir is combining him with Powder Monkeys and Jagged Taskmaster:

unknown.png

I mean... it's at least funny. The monkeys and sand soldiers are going to be super annoying when they are buffed up.

Y'all thought I was going to let you off without at least attempting a full Shurima deck?

Don't play this deck, it's not good but it is kinda fun at least.

unknown.png

I mean... it's a deck with 40 Shurima cards. You are kinda just hoping that you get Azir turn 3, Renekton turn 4 and Ascendant's Rise on turn 5 for the DREAM combo.

People were memeing before but I legit don't think this deck can win without Ascended's Rise. Aside from Azir, the other Champions are pretty hard to even level up. This deck is lacking in proper removal and stall cards to make it late enough where you can have two champions leveled up (which is what you need to activate Sun Disc).

I feel like getting Ascended's Rise is so important to this deck that I might even need to tweak ratios to have more Predicts.

Last edited: