• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, got on my laptop:

Countdown reveal:
b2slekv8r9i61.png

Renekton & supporting cards reveal:
5tquomwvwgi61.png

If Renekton is setting the bar for Ascended champs, it really might be worth going in on Sundisk. Goddamn, that's some power.

Destroying your own mana gems is an interesting angle. Have we seen that kind of effect before?

E: Oh, and if y'all want a better title than the current one, start making suggestions now!

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
So hyped for this set too! Shurima is my jam. The team working on level ups have ascended to level 3 as far as I'm concerned too...

Hits the feels too since I first joined Riot to work on the league shurima event!

Thread title: Level 3's Company?
(I don't know lol)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh snaps new Champion out!

Was not expecting a new Champion right after Renekton.

Demacia champion with Elite tag, very combat focused.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
So hyped for this set too! Shurima is my jam. The team working on level ups have ascended to level 3 as far as I'm concerned too...

Hits the feels too since I first joined Riot to work on the league shurima event!

Thread title: Level 3's Company?
(I don't know lol)

do you have any thoughts about the increasing complexity of champ level-up animations and whether or not older champs' level-up animations will be revisited? Teemo's animation feels...underwhelming compared to the full cinematics we're getting now.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
do you have any thoughts about the increasing complexity of champ level-up animations and whether or not older champs' level-up animations will be revisited? Teemo's animation feels...underwhelming compared to the full cinematics we're getting now.

I think that if it feels like old champs don't meet the current quality bar at some point we should get them back up to par. That's what has been happening on league of legends with champ visual updates for a while now, so I hope we can do the same here at some point.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Jarvan seems pretty under-statted for a 6 drop. Even 1 or 2 drops can bop him dead at 3 health. However, he seems to have a pretty easy time leveling up since it's not an "I've seen" effect.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jarvan seems pretty under-statted for a 6 drop. Even 1 or 2 drops can bop him dead at 3 health.
Yeah but he comes in with Barrier and pseudo challenger at burst speed. And most of the time by the time he comes down he will be leveled up anyway.

The effect of coming down attacking at Burst speed is quite insane. Only issue is that he is using a Champ slot on top of being in a competitive 6 mana slot in a Demacia deck.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah but he comes in with Barrier and pseudo challenger at burst speed. And most of the time by the time he comes down he will be leveled up anyway.

The effect of coming down attacking at Burst speed is quite insane. Only issue is that he is using a Champ slot on top of being in a competitive 6 mana slot in a Demacia deck.
I think the bigger issue with Jarvan is that you're forced to summon him instead of being given a choice and that may very well mess up your plays if you have combat tricks that you want to use.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I think the bigger issue with Jarvan is that you're forced to summon him instead of being given a choice and that may very well mess up your plays if you have combat tricks that you want to use.
It could, but Demacia decks are heavily unit based so at most you will have single combat / sharp sight or Rally in your hand which are typically low mana.

I personally think Jarvan IV is really interesting and can be utilised in an array of decks:

• Elite focused (Garen/Jarvan)
• Scout (Quinn/Jarvan or MF/Jarvan)
• Renekton/Jarvan (since vulnerable works as challenging)

Demacia boat in the form of King Jarvan III is the icing on the cake.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the video again, Cataclysm does give you the attack token if it goes off so it's like another Rally effect. That's really strong.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't rally itself. That only happened because it was a scout.
Oh interesting. That means synergy with Scouts in this deck. That 3 mana 2/2 Divine and Scout card has a ton of synergy here.

In other news I won the Last Chance Gauntlet.

Screenshot_20210220-173046_LoR.jpg

I might try to play some matches in the tournament tomorrow for a chance at at the card back. I can't play all day though so most games I would have to concede.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Oh interesting. That means synergy with Scouts in this deck. That 3 mana 2/2 Divine and Scout card has a ton of synergy here.

In other news I won the Last Chance Gauntlet.

Screenshot_20210220-173046_LoR.jpg

I might try to play some matches in the tournament tomorrow for a chance at at the card back. I can't play all day though so most games I would have to concede.

Congrats on the Prime glory win. It's tougher than I expected.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the Prime glory win. It's tougher than I expected.
The previous months Last Chance Gauntlet was much tougher than this one. I seemed to evade all the top decks, and my final boss was a Yasuo/Swain player. Felt super bad beating him with Pirate Aggro but... this is the game we play.

I actually lost once to TF+Aphelios and that match was insane. Since then I banned all of them even though supposedly TF+Aphelios loses to aggro. Maybe the Discard Aggro variance but man it was a struggle in that match up of they got Aphelios set up.

eamono

Nov 17, 2020
the new 4 mana rally combo with taric looks kinda nutty, taric quinn rally maybe? Honestly I think that 4 mana rally will replace relentless in alot of decks that play it right now

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the new 4 mana rally combo with taric looks kinda nutty, taric quinn rally maybe? Honestly I think that 4 mana rally will replace relentless in alot of decks that play it right now
I think you probably want to use it with Fiora for the multiple attacks. Like use it on an offensive triple attack with Fiora and Taric.

I think the 4 mana rally card works really well in like a Fiora/Shen deck or a more midrange focused Demacia deck but you probably want regular Relentless Pursuit for faster, scout style decks or the Lucian/Ephemeral decks. The 1 mana difference is a very big deal because its 3 mana to 4 (you can't bank 4 mana which is why that threshold is significant).

That said the card being out of Nope-ify range is fairly substantial too.

niaobx

Banned
Aug 3, 2020

I really hope Teemo level-up stays the same. It's cute little fun just like Teemo. Not every champion needs a bombastic cutscene.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Jarvan is definitely interesting. Burst attacker that works with Rally attackers. The free attack from Cataclysm. Lots of Elite/Scout synergy.

But also his summon is unavoidable if you have the mana? If you've got 6 unit mana he'll just summon and you can't do anything to stop that? I don't think that's actually going to be much of an issue but it is a weird thing where you kind of have to spend mana first if you wanted to play something other than him. But the ability to have a burst attacker (that can be pre-leveled) is worth it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For reference:

mo7bhfvk1oi61.png

Jarvan is... really weird. Not sure how to evaluate him at all. Like, 6 mana for that statline blows, but the way he comes in and his challenge/barrier shenanigans might be worth it?

Oct 27, 2017
I can already say that this Expansion is far more interesting than Invoke/Celestial/Life Gain/Nightfall/Daybreak/Support/Dragons we had in the Targon.

Nothing wrong with Targon in itself, all card games eventually must utilize Life-Gain or Ramp or Tribal mechanics, but I would much rather have more exotic and unique interactions.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
xhqaqy7i5vi61.png

wow this looks amazing. Did not expect Zilean but I'm stoked.

this expansion will be huuuuge I'm not even ready for how many champs are being added at once

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Even though we've only seen 2 champion level up's so far the animations in this set are 1000% above all others.

The added bonus with Shurima is there will be 2 level up animations per champion too.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So this new archetype is about buffing cards in deck and then pulling them out earlier with the Predict mechanic. Sounds cool, curious to see thr champion related to the mechanic.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this seasonal tournament was supposed to be 9 rounds? Or is that for the next one?

Oh well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man the animations for these new champs are insane!

Taliyah looking interesting. No idea how to evaluate it yet.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who thinks that landmarks as a mechanic are rubbish at best, this is gonna be interesting.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
If there's gonna be a board with Taliyah's theme I might actually have to put some money into this thing.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these new landmarks you don't really care to remove. Only Hourglass is worth removing.

Also It That Stares looking spicy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
THROW ANOTHER ROCK

tbd4av2aa2j61.png

She seems pretty great. We'll see how Landmarks Matter works out as a requirement, but her leveled up ability seems strong, especially with stuff like Unraveled Earth running around.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the new style of level ups personally. They feel super disconnected from the actual card art which is something I loved before, Lucian still has my favorite level up in general.

They look cool on their own, sure, but the transition into and out of it feels weird. I still remember being wowed when I first saw Garen level up, even if it's relatively basic.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play Taliyah, but I'm seeing some complaints that they kinda screwed up up in terms of appearance and personality, and if so that's a bummer.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Even though we've only seen 2 champion level up's so far the animations in this set are 1000% above all others.

The added bonus with Shurima is there will be 2 level up animations per champion too.
Man the animations for these new champs are insane!

Taliyah looking interesting. No idea how to evaluate it yet

I feel like half my reactions to seeing new stuff in Legends of Runeterra is "man, I hope Project L ends up having a similar budget." Runeterra's production values I felt were already above every other game in the genre, but now it feels like they're just taking a victory lap.

Taliyah, I'm not super impressed by though. The rate on many of the countdown landmarks is fairly mediocre, they often don't feel that much better than what you'd get if you paid that much mana and got an immediate effect, and most wouldn't be played without any synergy. It feels like running bad cards to make your other bad cards less bad. Also the current lack of evasion or way to reliably close out the game besides Taliyah level up makes me doubtful. Midrange decks need to have some way to break stalemates and counteract chump blockers or they're going to have a very hard time closing out games, that's the main thing I feel holding Dragons back despite getting a couple major buffs.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes definitely hoping for the best for a Riot FG. There is a huge gap in the market for F2P FG for PC/consoles/Switch. Only occupied currently by Brawhalla (super indie game) and KI (on specific consoles).

I find it funny that I am into LoR and even a bit of TFT but barely even touched LoL. I have been into MOBAs in the past but I am just burned out at this point and can't afford the massive time commitment.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes definitely hoping for the best for a Riot FG. There is a huge gap in the market for F2P FG for PC/consoles/Switch. Only occupied currently by Brawhalla (super indie game) and KI (on specific consoles).

I find it funny that I am into LoR and even a bit of TFT but barely even touched LoL. I have been into MOBAs in the past but I am just burned out at this point and can't afford the massive time commitment.
Have you tried the mobile version? Wild Rift. I haven't touched it yet myself, but it looks like it's got what I'd hope for in terms of streamlining/quickening/presentation values.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I really like the idea of the low cost low impact Landmarks, completely different way to make Landmarks viable. Means they're not vulnerable to the hate, because the opponent loses more than you do by removing them. Remains to be seen if they're good, the package is really hard to evaluate as mentioned. My only misgivings is that Taliyah is basically forced into a narrow archetype with her level up. Oh well. Not every Champ can be super versatile.

And yeah the new level ups are very cool to watch but I did like how old ones were closer to the artwork and a little more stylized than cinematic. I have no preference though. Both great.

re: Wild Rift, I played like 10-15 games. I've never played LoL but have two thousand hours or so in DOTA. It's good! It does a great job of replicating the MOBA experience on the go. But yeah I just don't have the time to commit to yet another online game, and even though it's a super well done version of a mobile MOBA you do often just think that you'd prefer to play a full experience on the big screen. I dunno. Maybe it'll be fit better on consoles?

eamono

Nov 17, 2020
I don't play Taliyah, but I'm seeing some complaints that they kinda screwed up up in terms of appearance and personality, and if so that's a bummer.

It's really interesting, the biggest issue is just that they changed VA's for her, but her old VA also voices zoe and should probably still be available? maybe her situation has changed in the last year~ or so since those were recorded.

EDIT:
noticed that the LoR team responded on twitter just after posting this reply, seems like the voice actress was changed to a woman of color to more properly represent the characters heritage

Last edited:

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting, the biggest issue is just that they changed VA's for her, but her old VA also voices zoe and should probably still be available? maybe her situation has changed in the last year~ or so since those were recorded.

Riot chose to recast Taliyah's voice actor. They posted on Twitter about feedback related both to complaints about the new voice as well as her appearing a bit lighter than in League. They're going to be updating her art some time after the set release, but the new VA is going to stay. Maybe they might have the new VA do some more lines, but it sounds doubtful:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Riot chose to recast Taliyah's voice actor. They posted on Twitter about feedback related both to complaints about the new voice as well as her appearing a bit lighter than in League. They're going to be updating her art some time after the set release, but the new VA is going to stay. Maybe they might have the new VA do some more lines, but it sounds doubtful:

EDIT:
noticed that the LoR team responded on twitter just after posting this reply, seems like the voice actress was changed to a woman of color to more properly represent the characters heritage

Pretty good reason on the VA change, tho I do take some issue with the writing as well - the most common complain I saw was that she came off too bubbly/immature, which is as much a writing or directing issue as anything else, and that seems fair.

Good to hear that they're gonna tweak her look, tho.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Mechanic question, is the countdown repeatable?

Haven't played much lately but loving the new cards shown, far more interesting designs than before.