• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you picked against the archetype every single time theoretically that could happen, although the champ picks alone should almost guarantee you some kind of sea monster offering

also Teemo/Zoe in expeditions is legit, I went 7-0 twice in a row
Every "Terrors of the Sea" pick was some combination of Brash Gambler, some toss, Slotbot(?), and Chum the Waters(lul it's a shark, get it?)

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Here I was thinking that the Shurima expansion cycle would be the first big one that we didn't go into knowing which champs would be in it, but apparently Riot messed up and accidentally put upcoming champion lines into the files again and we know what all the upcoming champs for the whole cycle will be:

Bilgewater: Pyke
Demacia: Jarvan
Feljord: Lissandra
Ionia: Irelia
Noxus: Leblanc
Piltover and Zaun: Ekko
Shadow Isles: Kindred?
Shurima: Azir, Malphite(?), Nasus, Renekton, Sivir, Taliyah, and Zilean

A couple notes I think are worth mentioning:

Firstly, there was no other Targon champ. I strongly suspect that Aphelios is effectively part of this expansion but got released separately. Secondly, Malphite is supposed to be an Ixtal champion but is presumably going to be released as a Shuriman champion this cycle. This almost assuredly means that the 10th region will be the Void since Ixtal would have realistically needed every champ currently associated with it and a few extras to end up having as many champs as other regions. Lastly, no Viego I think is a strong indicator that the Champ expansion that's coming in July is going to be for him as they said they'd be doing an event based around the Ruination and that's the most sensible time to do it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't know who any of those champs are but I'm actually cool with them leaking like this, casuals still get a surprise when they drop but the Reddit fans get to speculate and theorize.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The key to the new lab seems to be getting 3 starting mana and stacking every buff on one champion. It feels pretty low agency, unfortunately. There are pretty obvious best choices in most pools and if you just don't get them, it becomes borderline impossible to proceed.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
One of the cool lab things I found was putting the double cast effect on a Hunt the Weak while starting with extra mana. So turn one I start by discarding their two weakest followers from their hands. Basically meant they didn't play anything for the first few turns. If you have multiple they're not playing anything except a champ. Discard is fun!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Here I was thinking that the Shurima expansion cycle would be the first big one that we didn't go into knowing which champs would be in it, but apparently Riot messed up and accidentally put upcoming champion lines into the files again and we know what all the upcoming champs for the whole cycle will be:

Bilgewater: Pyke
Demacia: Jarvan
Feljord: Lissandra
Ionia: Irelia
Noxus: Leblanc
Piltover and Zaun: Ekko
Shadow Isles: Kindred?
Shurima: Azir, Malphite(?), Nasus, Renekton, Sivir, Taliyah, and Zilean

A couple notes I think are worth mentioning:

Firstly, there was no other Targon champ. I strongly suspect that Aphelios is effectively part of this expansion but got released separately. Secondly, Malphite is supposed to be an Ixtal champion but is presumably going to be released as a Shuriman champion this cycle. This almost assuredly means that the 10th region will be the Void since Ixtal would have realistically needed every champ currently associated with it and a few extras to end up having as many champs as other regions. Lastly, no Viego I think is a strong indicator that the Champ expansion that's coming in July is going to be for him as they said they'd be doing an event based around the Ruination and that's the most sensible time to do it.
Iiiiintersting.

Nothing super unexpected in the pool aside from Malphite. Hoping they give Leblanc a bit of a costume change, her normal outfit is... not good. Very much looking forward to Ekko, Nasus, Zilean (who'll probably share some mechanics with Ekko, come to think of it), Kindred, and Pyke. All could be very cool.

I do hope you're wrong on the Ixtal thing. I think it's a really cool region, and I was really hoping to get some in-depth exploration of it from Legends, since we've gotten so little from League proper. Could be that they'll just treat Ixtal as part of Shurima and I'll have to make due with Qiyana's support cards to get a look at the jungle arcology part of it.

Oct 27, 2017
All non-Shurima champions are humans or humans*

No Robot champion, where you at Blitzcrank :(
No Volibear, no Nunu...
Ahri and Akali, two most popular champions based on the fact that Riot makes 10 skins every year just for those two, still missing

Talya, Sivir... Boring. Wanted Xerath.

Looking forward regardless.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All non-Shurima champions are humans or humans*

No Robot champion, where you at Blitzcrank :(
No Volibear, no Nunu...
Ahri and Akali, two most popular champions based on the fact that Riot makes 10 skins every year just for those two, still missing

Talya, Sivir... Boring. Wanted Xerath.

Looking forward regardless.
Malphite is literally a mountain

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is why I said non-Shurima.

It has like 4 monsters and 2 least interesting champions in League. I am happy with the selection, even though they discriminate against Amumu and Rammus...
Oh, misread. My b.

I'd say that this is basically what I'd expect from this round. Other than Xerath, all the big parts of Shurima's last big lore beats are in there.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
People are just openly discussing spoilers so I guess people don't really mind.

Iiiiintersting.

Nothing super unexpected in the pool aside from Malphite. Hoping they give Leblanc a bit of a costume change, her normal outfit is... not good. Very much looking forward to Ekko, Nasus, Zilean (who'll probably share some mechanics with Ekko, come to think of it), Kindred, and Pyke. All could be very cool.

I do hope you're wrong on the Ixtal thing. I think it's a really cool region, and I was really hoping to get some in-depth exploration of it from Legends, since we've gotten so little from League proper. Could be that they'll just treat Ixtal as part of Shurima and I'll have to make due with Qiyana's support cards to get a look at the jungle arcology part of it.

I hope I'm wrong about Ixtal too, I think that the region being so new to the League lore lends itself to it benefiting greatly from being portrayed in LoR as a way to help flesh out the region more. Also all the champs in that region aside from ironically the one we know is going to be added in I feel really lend themselves to cool card designs. But currently there's only 6 champs that are listed under the region on Universe, and they just gave one of them to another region. It just doesn't make sense that they'd be giving Malphite to another region if they planned on adding in Ixtal later. Maybe they added in lines for Taliyah in anticipation for Malphite being added in the next expansion cycle, but I find that very unlikely as that both means that we're short a Shuriman champ and that they added in a bunch of interactions for future champions which I'm not sure has actually happened yet. Even Rising Tides and Call of the Mountain cards, which were both added into the files at the same time months before either release, didn't have any interactions with each other. On top of that they didn't add in any Shurima-adjacent Void champs like Malzahar or Kai'Sa either which I think would have had a decent chance of making it in if they were looking to add in Void champs across other regions.

Xerath I assume got left out to help diversify the initial Shurima roster, if he was in then 4 of the initial 7 Shuriman champs would be ascended beings and that would also make it a lot harder to show off all the different sides of Shurima beyond the conflict revolving around them. Of the 4 he's the logical cut as Azir is basically the face of the region and Nasus and Renekton are both much more iconic and they're kind of a package deal so if one's in then both have to be.

Gameplay-wise, the two logical cross-region pairings are Ekko+Zilean (time stuff) and Pyke+Kindred. (Hunting down and killing a specific target) Sivir and Pyke both might have a money theme going on too as she's a mercenary. Taliyah interacts with rocks, Malphite is a big rock. Past that it's kind of guesswork as it's hard to know how exactly they'll design each champ.

And here's the tease with the voice lines so you can hear them. Some champs have brand new voice actors so it's interesting to see:

Zilean>Lissandra
Jarvan>Leblanc
Pyke
Kindred (Wolf>Lamb)
Taliyah>Malphite
Ekko>Azir
Nasus>Renekton
Sivir>Renekton
Irelia>Leblanc

It could just be the lack of a filter but Taliyah sounds way different despite being a pretty new champ. Jarvan, Zilean, and Malphite all sound like completely different voice actors. It was kind of weird hearing Leblanc though lol, she's such an old champ but the voice sounds basically identical. And Kindred's voice is still fantastic.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone been using Aphelios variant decks? ...he is much more flexible without feeling too cumbersome than I thought he would be. I started out using a version by BBG but with some tinkering here and there; trying to find a groove at my rank.

I initially threw in some of the new cards like flight, Veiled Temple, and sky but they either didn't mesh well with the synergy between Victor/Aphelios, disrupt card draw or were waaaay to slow —the veiled temple in particular, but when it works it really works.

Have seen other players use out of the way, even tried it at point myself but found it to be kinda useless (entirely to be honest) since I use dmg/stun/tutor 99% of the time. And Victor being the main sticky stat/attr target I care about. I'm pretty much using the original deck list now with some tweaks.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I literally need a cheat sheet in front of me for Aphelios, I'm too stupid to remember his cards

fantastic design though, Phase is a tad clunky at first but once you get it he really is fun and rewards foresight. Is he like Invoker in LoL?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I literally need a cheat sheet in front of me for Aphelios, I'm too stupid to remember his cards

fantastic design though, Phase is a tad clunky at first but once you get it he really is fun and rewards foresight. Is he like Invoker in LoL?
Its not that hard, you have to remember the sequence of the weapons.

Calibrum -> Severum -> Gravitum -> Infernum -> Crescendum

The one you pick first phases into the next two in the order. Severum phases into Gravitum and Infernum for example because it follows the order. Crescendum goes into Calibrum and Severum (as it loops around).

Generally though you are usually always picking among Calibrum, Gravitum and Crescendo. If you don't want Gravitum then pick Crescendum first otherwise you would need to case an extra time to go from Calibrum to Crescendum where as Crescendum to Calibrum is one phase.

You really want multiple strong 2 drops in the deck for maximum impact as Crescendum is the one you will be using most when you want a proactive action.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Its not that hard, you have to remember the sequence of the weapons.

Calibrum -> Severum -> Gravitum -> Infernum -> Crescendum

The one you pick first phases into the next two in the order. Severum phases into Gravitum and Infernum for example because it follows the order. Crescendum goes into Calibrum and Severum (as it loops around).

Generally though you are usually always picking among Calibrum, Gravitum and Crescendo. If you don't want Gravitum then pick Crescendum first otherwise you would need to case an extra time to go from Calibrum to Crescendum where as Crescendum to Calibrum is one phase.

You really want multiple strong 2 drops in the deck for maximum impact as Crescendum is the one you will be using most when you want a proactive action.
Yeah I'm slowly starting to remember the loop

I'm using Severum a lot but that's specific to the lab

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the new legends lab. The RNG is a bit heavy but you that also means your matches won't be the same. It'd be even better if they added in some story elements in future legends labs.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
The legends lab is fun, but it's also very clearly a base to work off of for future editions. It needs voice acting, as cheesekao said it could use some light story elements. I'd even appreciate it using emotes back at me when I use them, or even just simple "Shen GG" emote at the start/end of a match or something. But those are all tiny things, quality of life type deals that don't actually take away from the lab. But I am excited to see where they take things.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm slowly starting to remember the loop

I'm using Severum a lot but that's specific to the lab

I was at first too. But it becomes second nature once you realize the priority of the options available depending on the situation; Stun (Gravitas), Tutor/summon two cost from deck (Crescendum) and dmg (C-something, it's the first choice). The other options (lifesteal and overwhelm) are very situational.

And turns out the best combo wombo that I've had experience with compared to all the others is Zoe/Aphelios; the obvious team comp. They work insanely well together and easily becoming my favorite deck because it reminds me of playing Highlander Mage (or Highlander decks in general) from Hearthstone, haha.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys probably didn't see it... but Swim's challenge run on the Labs was peak hilarity. Both the first run he got to Viktor and the most recent one were peak LoR stuff. I am not going to spoil what happens in either of them but if you can find the stream VOD then its worth a watch. Maybe it gets uploaded on YT.

Oct 27, 2017
They finally finished fucking expeditions.

It got to the point where it is literally the same 6 or 7 buckets on every pick screen. Offering the same buckets on every screen, like I am supposed to pick 7 Mobilize or Greenfangs...

Those rails, or archtypes, are far too small and confining to build a deck. Instead, you just have to know which champions offer shit recursive picks, and which offer good units even if you have 5 or 6 copies of each. Riot has the ultimate control, tweaking the buckets every patch, and yet it is all just bad. How is it impossible to implement something like the protection from being offered the same cards in every pick round? Is this supposed to be fun?

Bailing until the Expansion.

Last edited:

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I use my expedition coins then immediately retire; mode needs work IMO.

I am having a thing where I can't stop playing EZ/Teemo mill deck; it's the epitome of fun for me (love control decks). My performance is 51% with my current one. The various Aphelios focused, Lee sin and Shen/Fiora decks make it hard but I love the challenge. It forced me to really dig into deck building and adapting.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having fun with Teemo lately too. I don't know why, the idea of mushrooms is so degenerate and so fun. I liked Grenadins the same way in Eternal. I miss Eternals draft... cause FUCK Expeditions.

The Essence Trial weekly where you have to play/win games in Gauntlets or Expeditions is garbage. I hold off playing any expeditions until that quest is reset, spend my 3 tokens for Expeditions and just mindlessly grind it out in open play if I have to. I don't know why I don't do Gauntlets, maybe becuase I have not put together a good singleton deck and I don't know 3 decks well enough for the pick and ban.

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who always joked how they patch up that mode even outside of balance patches, I can only assume the more frequent card releases probably buried expeditions for good.

Last time I gave it a go, it finally gave me a bot as final match, so I don't think the essence quests gave it a real playrate boost either.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Last time I gave it a go, it finally gave me a bot as final match, so I don't think the essence quests gave it a real playrate boost either.
I found it did in the earlier matches but I got hit with the AI final match once too. The quality of player has massively dropped though, it's just people trying to farm essence, I've gone 7 wins in my last three expeditions with decks that probably didn't deserve to lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I hit AI finalist like 40% of the time.

With servers being split, and only friends' challenge working, playing low EU hours the population isn't there. Sometimes facing the same opponent on the expedition path 2-3 times. This is one thing MTGA aces as far as worldwide network goes.

One year later, still no resource sinks, I have an endless wildcard/shard reserve at this point.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that difficult to 'game' the Expedition buckets, and high roll if you get a synergistic initial pick and follow up. Which is just one problem. Another one I have is getting multiples of the same card in a single bucket. I thought buckets were tailor made based on data driven feedback but that would be evidence of the contrary. Lastly, the whole random on rails nature of the mode is not that interesting and boils down to constructed-lite.

When paying the admission to do the Expedition, it's not hard to get at least a 7 win out of 2 trials. Especially if you care enough about this terrible mode. But lol, I'm not going to fight the tide if I low roll buckets in open play. It's why it's so efficient at grinding out the Essence quest. It'd actually be more beneficial to have open deck lists support in this format to reduce the amount of wild RNG that can happen here. But I suppose even Riot doesn't see this mode as a real contender to have competitive support. And tied a large quest to the mode to drive up participants.

Would love to see a different take on a Draft/Limited format for LoR, sadly it doesn't sound like it's in the cards. Wonder how it could be approached given the nature of the game though. Cause Expiditions is not a successful attempt, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Shrooms (Teemo/EZ with Frej) do work into this draw greedy stuff for me. With the usually disclaimer that I haven't played enough to know if the opponents are just bad with their decks.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's technically a counter however that deck is worse against the rest of the field.

I heard the classic Corina control deck also counters this somewhat. Lots of removal and burn against it.

I have had decent success with Fiora Shen but its game over if TF levels.

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Anivia has a decent matchup against it as well, but yeah, no good counter really.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh nobody posted the patch notes. Fair enough, they're not very exciting.

playruneterra.com

Legends of Runeterra

Choose your champions, make your move, and be legendary in the League of Legends strategy card game: Legends of Runeterra.

But what is exciting? Reveal season for the new expansions begins in just over two hours!

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Seems some cards have been leaked on Mobalytics. Super excited for the new expansion and reveals!

... New lab Heimers Madness is real terrible.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
playruneterra.com

Legends of Runeterra

Choose your champions, make your move, and be legendary in the League of Legends strategy card game: Legends of Runeterra.

110 card drop in 2 weeks is real nice. Glad they're spreading out new cards over mini-expansions to keep the game fresh almost every month after.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They changed up the season tournament a bit.

Instead of 5 rounds its now 9 rounds and you can pass through even if you lose one or two games.

Whole event has been elongated from 6 hour event to 9 hours. This is ultimately a good change however for someone like me who has work sometimes even on weekends I can't really take 9 hours off at a stretch.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah without more information it's really hard to evaluate most of these cards. Sounds like champions with level 3s but I assume we'll find out in an hour. Personally I love Buried Sun Disc as an allegiance freebie as a design choice, although any deck that's reliant on timebomb landmarks feels susceptible to landmark hate (poor TK Soraka) so hopefully it's not an all in strategy. Grand Plaza got around that by giving very fast value and worked in a deck that still had a strong base that could work without it.

Shurima is also gonna need some good ass champs with the seemingly heavy mono focus. Also I don't know LoL lore but do all the Shurima characters need to be constantly stretching their arms out

also 9 rounds is an improvement although an annoying time commitment.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at Renekton.

4 mana 8/8 Overwhelm when leveled once.

Lvl3 is basically game winning.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hype starting to sink in, most of these new cards are pretty good.

Looks like a lot of focus on reducing attack power of enemies and granting Vulnerable. That's a lot of Fearsome synergy right there.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Damn, those lvl up animations and skill effects. I will never get over how good the production values are for LOR. I've played several other online card games and they simply can't compare. Renekton as a card looks really good as well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Renekton can levelup twice up to level 3?
Yes but the 3rd level is a very specific deck type using the Sun Disc. It's a 100% Shurima deck.

Based on the trailer there seems to be 3 Ascended champions. I think for the Sun Disc deck you would want all 3 in your deck (so two of each). That means the 7 mana card has more hits and the card that draws your Ascended Champs hits all 3.

However I think the 3 of the cards could be playable individually in other decks that are more specific to them. Like a more aggressive Overwhelming deck with Renekton because the Sun Disc deck will not be that aggressive at all.

Also all this Ascended talk makes me think of the SSJ3 memes:

Last edited: