• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Spent my first buckeroos ever on the Event Pass. Feels ok, I guess. I didn't mind because of how generous the game is.

Loving the I'm assuming Trundle package. I wonder if he's going to fight Trynd for the same mana slot then.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This Swim stream with Alan and Grapplr is some next level stuff. Spending so much time debating over the 8 mana 7/7 loool!

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
This Swim stream with Alan and Grapplr is some next level stuff. Spending so much time debating over the 8 mana 7/7 loool!

That 8m 7/7 seems worthless as is. What is there to debate about it? It's just not the kind of thing you want at that point of the game. Maybe it could become average/good with some future cards, maybe something like summon your top troll? But otherwise it alone is not a card I would use, tbh.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That 8m 7/7 seems worthless as is. What is there to debate about it? It's just not the kind of thing you want at that point of the game. Maybe it could become average/good with some future cards, maybe something like summon your top troll? But otherwise it alone is not a card I would use, tbh.
Alan is a big Warmothers proponent so he was trying to make a case for it. They were trolling through most of it though.

Unless tomorrow's champion changes thing,, this card is really bad. At 8 mana you want your card to be finishing the game or setting up a win condition or stabilizing the board for you. Its why only Leviathan and Riptide are playable 8 drops. I will say that this card is actually decent in Expeditions as long as you aren't super behind on board.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda surprised they're not tagged Troll, considering Trundle's probably somewhere in the pipeline and his whole thing at this point is he's the king of the trolls.

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
No exaggeration, all of my expeditions losses the past two days have been vs decks that just flood the board with elusives. Guess I need to draft faster decks but man it's tilting for some reason

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
261 petals done, got the emote, that was my main goal

There should still be another free 4 tomorrow. The event says one day to go but the website says it ends on the 19th.

Oct 27, 2017
FUCKING TROLLS, GET OUT MY PROPERTY!

Such a boring selection of cards. Never liked ramp with large creatures in MTG, can't see it working with these FJ cards either. The 8 mana spell looks like something that should cost <6, but is much more expensive to shoehorn it into the Behold deck.

Should have been a Volibear with zaps and bites...

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, lots of healing called. It'll slow down the game and make board centric decks more viable which is great to see.

I actually quite like these, it makes Trundle still a big body champion but the Ice Pillar allows it to be more flexible and can still play for a slow midrange rather than have big cost cards mandatory in the deck.

Trundle's champion card is real inflexible and looks bad though unfortunately.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why Behold anything other than Battle Fury
The Icequake card is pretty good to Behold.

As a double draw Trungle. I don't think you would want to main deck that though.

Trundle and Augur are pretty good cards though.

Trundle also kinda makes Tuskraider (the Sejuani draw card) a lot more appealing too.

Last edited:

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Just started playing for procrastination during exam period. Hooked. It seems a bit weird that there are just three starter decks, did I miss something? I did two additional challenges and thought I would get more from those but nope. Currently trying to get some kind of spider deck going.

Any tips on things I need to check out? There seems to be a massive flow of new cards and stuff which is nice, I hated the egregious pay2win in Hearthstone.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing for procrastination during exam period. Hooked. It seems a bit weird that there are just three starter decks, did I miss something? I did two additional challenges and thought I would get more from those but nope. Currently trying to get some kind of spider deck going.

Any tips on things I need to check out? There seems to be a massive flow of new cards and stuff which is nice, I hated the egregious pay2win in Hearthstone.
When you complete the prologue quest line, you get a new starter deck with Ashe and some Shadow Isle cards.

Main tip is to simply finish the prologue quest, do the challenges and do the dailies. Once prologue reward chain is finished, do the regions until you stop getting bonus EXP then change region. This will maximize your rewards starting out so you can get the maximum amount of wild cards in the shortest time.

You cant buy packs in this game but you can get the Spirit Blossom pass. Only issue with that is the event is going to finish soon and you may not get all the rewards in time. So probably don't get that if you don't play that often.

You get packs/capsules on a weekly basis. Try to get the rewards level to at least 10 so you are guaranteed a Champion Wildcard and an Expedition token.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

Expeditions and labs are a good way to play without investing too much money. If you get your weekly loot box to the expedition token level you'll generally have quite a bit to do even without ranked and casual constructed formats. You'll also unlock a ton of cards, wildcards and shards in the process.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Thanks! How is the balance/meta generally? It seems okay so far (just hit the bronze) except for the Deep decks, though I've only mett like two so far. I have no idea how to counter those, but I guess it's about winning super early?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! How is the balance/meta generally? It seems okay so far (just hit the bronze) except for the Deep decks, though I've only mett like two so far. I have no idea how to counter those, but I guess it's about winning super early?
I think the meta is mostly fine compared to other games. They are few decks at the top but many decks you can use to climb. Deep is tier 1 to tier 2, more popular in tournaments than on Ladder.

Aggro is in a weaker state than normal because the best and most popular deck is a Frostbite/Midrange deck which counters board based aggro. The other decks that you can expect to see a lot are Twisted Fate Ezrael and Tempo They Who Endure.

Check Mobalytics.gg for deck lists. I would high recommend to look up the common decks to know what to play around. In this game you need to be very cognizant of cards your opponents can play in reaction to your board/combat which means keeping track of their mana on hand.

If you are coming from Hearthstone the best type of deck you can use to learn fundamentals is a Bannerman/Scouts Demacia deck. It is sort of a curve decks with well stated minions and not many spells but a strong finisher in the mid game with Cithria and Genevieve.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
took me like five tries to get the last win (farming Labs), but I finished my Spirit Blossom pass

good value, would buy similar again

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Encroaching Shadows could lead to some very creative deckbuilding, I love it

the rest are absolute garbage, there would have to be some insane Nightfall payoff for them to be good. Visually they're the best cards in the set though, phenomenal aesthetic

and Passage Unearned is the most hilariously techy tech card ever.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone elses shards being strange? I could have swore I had over 20k yesterday, I log in today and it's at 16575, my order history looks okay. I chalk it up to a mistake on my part, I screenshot it at 16575.

I then earn 1k from the battlepass and it jumps up by 2k (not 1k)? Wtf I have screenshots of the changes. Nothing has been redeemed or bought since the 1k claim.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
nighfall mechanic is neat but not anything shadow isles wants to do. should have been in PNZ and had some discard/draw synergy. That's where this mechanic wants to be.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah Nightfall is just Combo but now it's awkwardly flavored to 'after dark' cards?

maybe there's P&Z nightclub aesthetic or something that could work for the keyword but it is a bizarre choice. Then again I suppose they play pretty fast and loose with Plunder thematically

Also at least it's called Overwhelm and not Trample in this game cuz it would be ridiculous if Duskrider didn't have something called Trample (also it'd be a better card...)

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Spirit Blossom event on Friday and been completely burned out from it to load up the game since. I hope they do the next event different and not make it so grindy. The focus on needing wins to get rewards really kills the fun for me in card games. Still excited for the update next week though, and hope it'll reinvigorate things.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I've only just now completed all the rewards for each region and I have to say, it feels really weird to not see the region reward level up after each game. Getting really excited for the expansion, can't wait to see how much it changes having a new region.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
I've only just now completed all the rewards for each region and I have to say, it feels really weird to not see the region reward level up after each game. Getting really excited for the expansion, can't wait to see how much it changes having a new region.
I'm half hoping they have the same glitch once the expansion launches that made your overflow XP unlock the new region rewards.

On the other hand I do miss having something to unlock, lol. And with the amount of wildcards (and shards) I really don't think I need to unlock rewards to have full collection again.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they eventually implement some sort of reward system after you cap out on regions. I dunno what it would be but it could be as simple as some sort of consumable reward every X amount of XP that unlocks avatars from favorite cards or something.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Have to assume they'll print at least one 0m card to work with Nightfall, but we'll see. The spells are fun to talk about, but not a huge fan of general hate cards. Encroaching Shadows elusives incoming.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the Targon champs with initial release are going to be Taric, Sorakka, Diana, and Leona.

They've already revealed a few healing-centric cards which feel like it's going to be Sorakka's archetype. The Nightfall keyword is very likely going to involve Diana and it seriously needs some more support outside of a handful of SI cards to even conceptualize a deck around. Leona seems like she'd be of a pair with Diana and they were also in the Targon cutscene together so they both feel like a lock.

Which leaves Aurelion Sol and Zoe as our 5th and 6th champions coming in the second and third wave from this set.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Targon champs with initial release are going to be Taric, Sorakka, Diana, and Leona.

They've already revealed a few healing-centric cards which feel like it's going to be Sorakka's archetype. The Nightfall keyword is very likely going to involve Diana and it seriously needs some more support outside of a handful of SI cards to even conceptualize a deck around. Leona seems like she'd be of a pair with Diana and they were also in the Targon cutscene together so they both feel like a lock.

Which leaves Aurelion Sol and Zoe as our 5th and 6th champions coming in the second and third wave from this set.
There's actually a blink-and-you'll-miss-it reference to one of those in an existing piece of art, so I think they'll be included in the initial set.

Startled Stomper is coming out of what looks a *lot* like a Zoe portal

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I like this package a lot more, but we really need more Nightfall. Nocturne has a great level up that is really reliant on a bunch of currently bad cards.

Nothing much to say Unspeakable Horror, a lower value Vile Feast that's necessary in Nightfall and probably better in slower metas/non Endure

Stalking Shadows is a fantastic potential combo card. Risen Mists isn't incredible but a 4 Mana burst unit is extremely rare and can be played with spell mana. Shroud of Darkness is alright. Swim is right, SI elusives could be very fun.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Nocturne would be a good champion if swarm nightfall was an archetype, but with the current batch of cards, there just aren't enough Nightfall cards to even really do that.

There's always a chance that Diana's package in Targon fills it out though.

I will say, I think a lot of these new SI cards are interesting, even if they don't appear to be very great. There's going to be room for a lot of experimentation there at least.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the cards in here are fine. Stalking Shadows looks kinda nutty to me. Definitely seems to be pushing a Fearsome, Elusive, Ephemerals, Mistwraith archetypes with a splash of Nightfall.

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Is stalking shadows balanced around the fact that it can whiff on followers? Because that effect seems very strong for 2 mana

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Is stalking shadows balanced around the fact that it can whiff on followers? Because that effect seems very strong for 2 mana
Yeah it's unlikely to whiff but it is possible and also not quite consistent enough to always get you two of whatever you might want. Plus ephemeral is either a huge drawback or not at all an issue depending on your deck.

I love that they're pushing Fearsome, Ephemeral and Mistwraiths for SI. All fun archetypes.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The cards revealed with Nocturne are quite strong. Disappointed that Nightfall as a whole still doesn't feel viable. Perhaps an effect of splitting up the set in the way that they did sigh. But I don't think you need to level up Nocturne for him to be good. Just connecting 5 to face on t5 feels almost like an SI Darius.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell does "It's always Day for us" mean? Every card is eligible for daybreak or something? That reads like a flavor text that is on the card for some reason, haha.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The 1 drop is extremely good and the 2 drop is very solid. Sun Guardian is Alpha 'good in expeditions' Wildclaw tier and the 5 drop we need to see more.

why didn't Nightfall get ones as good as the 1 and 2 drops :(

What the hell does "It's always Day for us" mean? Every card is eligible for daybreak or something? That reads like a flavor text that is on the card for some reason, haha.
Yeah it means that

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's always sunny on Mt Targon.

I'm liking Daybreak so far. Seems we're a lock for Leona and Diana in Targon at launch. I hope Diana's Nightfall cards are more impressive than Nocturne's.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty solid cards if a bit boring. I kinda assumed that Daybreak would be play first cards. The 5 mana card has an interesting effect, I wonder if there are some really insane Daybreak cards if you can have the mechanic active for longer than one round. Definitely a Demacia style Midrange archetype with well stated followers.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This set honestly feels a lot more boring than Rising Tides so far. So many context-based buffs.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
This set feels complementary to the base cards. I wonder how many of them were left out from the game's release.