• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
The quality of Expedition opponents seems to have fallen off a cliff. I'm on a 5 win streak (as in 7 win trials) and none of them felt particularly difficult. It also takes quite a while to find opponents towards the end. I wouldn't be surprised if it's eventually picking them from lower brackets.

i imagine the quest to win 15 expedition games got a bunch of people to play expeditions that normally don't, and that showering the average skill level.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Master Rank gotten!

Screenshot_20200808-144540_LoR.jpg

First time getting it since I started playing around 1-2 months after the Bilgewater expansion. Before I wasn't really playing Ranked much, most just Normal to learn the game and finish my cards. After I attained all Champions I then set out to go for Master rank and today I did it.

Normally I have very high ladder anxiety in other games so this time my goal was to just go up 1 rank a day and if I lose 2-3 times in a row I would stop for the day. This worked well for me and I got to Diamond 3-2 within a week of playing this way. The level of play went up and so did the tiers of deck, at plat 1/diamond 4 there were a lot of experimental/meme decks being played as you couldn't lose ranks.

I was 1 game away from winning Masters 3 times. First was a 1200 LP Karma + Lux player, was pretty one sided as he got out Lux and Karma with ease and just killed all my units. The 2nd time was against MF + Lucian and I had the nut draw against him. However after turn 6 when he started bigger units I started running out of steam and didn't draw a single Reckless Minotaur, Swain or Leviathan.. it was just solo Yasuo + spells against all his cards. He was down to two cards in hand and full board, I did Threatening Shout to wipe his board thinking I had won the game... but then he plays Tianna (8 mana 7/7 Rally) AND a 1 mana Remembrance! Since it was my turn to attack, that play finished the game on the spot lol.

The match that I got Master to was against a Draven + Ezrael deck which I won quite easily to be frank. Overall I felt my deck was solid against almost all of the decks that I saw on ladder.

Here is the deck I got to Masters with:

CECACAQCAUBACAQIB4BQCAZEFY3QGAQDAEDQSAYBAEBTMAICAIEQGAICAIFS4AIDAEBCKMJY

From Iron to Gold I mostly played Scouts Bannerman as that was the cheapest deck I could make. It was very effective and honestly I could have gone to Masters with it. However, by nature I am a very reactive player and play control decks. Also when I started the game, my first match was against a Yasuo deck and I was amazed at the way the deck played and its style. Yasuo was always one of my favorite champions in LoL so I knew I was goinf to eventually make a strong Yasuo deck.

Once I got all the cards needed I started playing Play mode with Yasuo + Katarina (didn't have Swain). By far this was the deck I lost most with mostly because I played the deck completely wrong. I would attack too often with it thinking that Quick Attacks would cover me but I soon learned that there are many counters to it. So I transitioned the deck to more late game however at the time aggro/burn was very prevalent and it was too punishing to play such late game bombs in that meta.

Then the most recent patch hit that nerfed Noxus aggro and made Steel Tempest 2 mana. While I was bummed about the Will of Ionia and Shadow Assassin changes for the deck (these cards 100% needed to be nerfed but in doing so nerfed Yasuo decks), I was excited to play around with the buffed Steel Tempest. And the card over delivered, I can't tell you how many times this card saved my ass.

I finally completed my Yasuo + Swain deck, however I was still just barely above 50% win rate with it. I kept losing to P&Z decks because of Thermogenesis beams or Tempo Endure Atrocity finish. I saw that BBG started using the 1 mana card and that was the piece I was missing. I know Swim thinks this is a trash card but this card carried me through various match up. It saves your units from Thermo beams and often puts you in a winning position because they end up using up their mana. It also allows you to chump block with the stun spider and spell, then Recall to have an additional stun. And it also denies level ups against Ezrael and Swain decks.

By far the card that I had most trouble against was Riptide Rex. Even when I played around it, it would wipe my board and whittle down my HP. Ezrael himself wasn't as much of a problem as Rex was. You can't even use more than 2 spells to react to it because of the 9 spell limit lol! However, Recall came in clutch against Riptide Rex and that allowed me to breat the Diamond 2/3 threshold.

As far as match ups go, here is how I did against the most commonly played decks:

Ashe Sejuani: By far the deck I ran against most and I won almost all my games against it but they were all razor margin wins. I have played this deck too and it is the best deck in the game probably but I think most players playing it don't realize how to play its various match ups. They often waste their Culling Strikes against Swain when its Leviathan they should be saving their CS for. Generally what happens is that they get a big board going but they can't finish the game due to Leviathan + Minotaurs locking down the board. They also have no heals so the Leviathan burn adds up. Their frostbite cards are also not very effective as I rarely beat them by attacking into them though Frostbite is very strong against leveled up Yasuo (though it doesn't help against Yasuo + Minotaur or Leviathan + Swain).

TF + Ezrael: 2nd most common deck I played against and probably the deck I lost most against. Pretty much every game I would dominate their board, but at turn 8-9 they would play multiple Riptides and just close out the game. Wasn't until I started using Recalls that the match up became more favorable. Also quite a few games were lost because they nabbed one of my late game cards like Leviathan or Minotaurs lol. I am better against that match uo though.

Deep : This was mostly a toss up and very draw dependent. My Wills usually won the match against their turn 7 Nautilus. I usually won if I got Yasuo popping off as they have no clean answer against him. On curve Swain is also strong as the fearsome nexus strike can usually connect. Late game Leviathan + Swain can lock them down as long as they don't set up before you. Timing and draws are super relevant in this match up.

Bannnerman/Scouts: Pretty much won all of these except the match I listed where they played Tianna. This match up is heavily in my favor and if I get Yasuo + Intimidating Roar it's GG 90% of the time.

Tempo Endure: I am heavily favored against this match up especially since I run two Denies and 2 Wills specifically for this match up. However, this deck like TF + Ezrael can easily steal games from under you. Stuff like Endure, Fury of the North into Atrocity is hard to play around without having Will or Deny in hand.

Plunder Sejuani: This is the version where it is more Plunder/tempo focused. I am also favored in this match up however nowadays these guys are running Gankplank instead of Ms Fortune. Leveled up Sej + GP in late game can run a train on you so I have to take extra effort to deny Plunders in early game. Generally won most of these the main one I lost was because I had none of my late game draws when I needed them.

Discard Aggro: They can only really win if they get nuts draw and I whiffed. Otherwise the stuns and removals become too much for them. Yasuo + Intimidating Roar and they smash the Surrender button.

Braum Anivia or Warmothers : I lost against this deck once because I made the mistake of killing Anivia. You basically win this match up as long as you don't kill Anivia. Just keep her stunned and then finish the game. Deny and Will come in BIG in the control Shadow Isle match ups, Deny on Ruination = they spam the Surrender button.

Various types of Lux, Swain, Karma control decks: The late game hero decks was something that was a challenge but luckily there weren't too many of them. Lux has the capability of dealing with our big units and Karma can just out value you late game. Against Swain match up it boils down to whoever sets up their Swain + Leviathan first. I generally win these match ups if I get my late game cards like Minotaurs, Lev etc.

Various Ezrael decks: I won against most of them mostly because I don't play many units against them do leveling up their Ezrael is difficult. The exception is the TF Ez deck with Riptide because Riptide singlehandedly levels up their Ez as well as Make it Rain can count for 2-3 procs. But these decks I lose mostly because of Riptide not due to Ezrael. Only went against one Karma + Ez, they had nuts draw and I didn't so hard to say... I think I lose this match up usually.

Bilgewater Burn and Elusives: They can win off of nuts draws but its still favorable match up. Didn't lose against a single Elusive deck because stuns actually work against Elusives. Deny comes in big against Decimate.

Fiora + Shen: I ran into a considerable number of them and I won all of them. This seems like a bad match up for them because they get no value from their barrier spells against a stun heavy deck. The closest I got to losing was when they played Brightsteel Formation.

I still think I can vastly improve my play with this deck and optimize the deck further. I threw in two Deep Meditation to replace the Shadow Assassins and it worked well for me. I tried replacing Faeblade Twirlers with Eye of the Dragon but it never paid off... Twirlers at least get massive respect from the opponent and often end up eating expensive removals. Legion General I think is a bad card and more suited for the Katarina version of this deck. A big body with stats doesn't accomplish much in this game without Overwhelm/Elusive etc. It's also possible that I need even fewer Will of Ionias.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Master Rank gotten!

... snip ...

Congratulations! Thanks for the great write up. I appreciate the break downs, match ups and overall thoughts. Yas/Swain has become my favourite deck type to play this season. It's definitely been interesting see Yasuo decks evolve since open beta and how it's come into its own. Looking forward to see what the expansion brings!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Now in Master rank I am free to try out various decks without worrying about ranks (no interest in increasing LP numbers). I was trying out Lux + Swain and man that's pretty good too. I don't even see any stats on that deck on Mobalytics. A lot of untapped potential in the game even with a limited card pool. Can't wait for the new expansion, I hope its a s good as the Bilgewater one (minus the Badger Bear cards, that felt like an oversight).

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Opponent did the classic "attack with Abyssal Eye first and draw mushrooms to tie". I was just about to concede too but decided to give them the satisfaction.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Congrats Dahbomb ! I just hit Diamond for the first time last week, with a rally / overwhelm deck I made, but there's no way I will reach your Mastery anytime soon haha . Great analysis too.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Dahbomb ! I just hit Diamond for the first time last week, with a rally / overwhelm deck I made, but there's no way I will reach your Mastery anytime soon haha . Great analysis too.
Nah man I am still a new player at this game, still learning every day. Keep it consistent and you will reach Master too!

Diamond 2/3 iwasthe hardest, Diamond 1 was not too bad because you will be paired up against low Master players and most of those players are playing experimental/meme decks since they can't lose ranks at that point.

INSANE COMEBACK with Fiora by BBG!

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

AND HE DID IT AGAIN!!!

https://clips.twitch.tv/AwkwardTangentialHamburgerYouDontSay

Deck only had 1 card left so he had to kill him this turn.

Last edited:

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Nah man I am still a new player at this game, still learning every day. Keep it consistent and you will reach Master too!

Diamond 2/3 iwasthe hardest, Diamond 1 was not too bad because you will be paired up against low Master players and most of those players are playing experimental/meme decks since they can't lose ranks at that point.

INSANE COMEBACK with Fiora by BBG!

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

AND HE DID IT AGAIN!!!

https://clips.twitch.tv/AwkwardTangentialHamburgerYouDontSay

Deck only had 1 card left so he had to kill him this turn.
oops. I meant I'm actually in Platinum , so I still have a ways to go XD

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I came across this tier list compiled on reddit using various tournament data from across various countries. This seems to more align with my feeling that there are many strong/viable decks:

docs.google.com

Personal Tier List By XiaoKen (SEA Server)

Tier List Nick : XiaoKen #4430 (SEA Server) <a href="https://www.facebook.com/XiaoKenShop">My Facebook (Only For Shop)</a> <a href="https://www.facebook.com/XKGame/">My Facebook (Gaming Channel)</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/XiaoKen21">My Twitter</a> <a href="https://www.twitch.tv/xiaokengami...

Oct 25, 2017
God I miss the Bestow lab. I'd consistently get to 4 wins in under 30 minutes in it. This current one can be so slow sometimes. It's faster to just surrender if I don't draw a nuts opener. I hope they change the next event because grinding wins isn't particularly fun to me (and I'm tired of grinding rank to get them).

Last edited:

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
stoked! think the new release schedule will keep me regulalry interested and looking forward. even if I did want more cards sooner I think it's the smarter call

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! They are using a more regular schedule of dishing out new cards.

Can't wait for card reveals tomorrow. That teaser trailer was kinda meh though lol!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
qfplzlrci7g51.jpg

Not the biggest fan of having lopsided champ representation for 2mo at a time, but not a better way to do it, given this scheme.

I dropped Shadowverse way back when because they eventually introduced delayed expansion cards, but that was because you had to buy packs and trying to open new cards mid-expansion was rough. It should work a lot better here with wildcards. But it does mean you should maybe be more careful how you spend your champion wildcards. You could easily bottleneck by end of August or something and waste potential champs you could unlock in October.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Going to assume we will have new quests each time they release an expansion similar to Bilgewater. Should be a lot of free cards/champions if you just finish the various region quests. I have around 6 champions worth of shards + wildcards saved up and probably 3-4 more by the time the expansion launches, I am assuming people who played even before Bilgewater have way more saved up for this. My guess is that they might have a Battle Pass thing for the upcoming Expansion as well so you can get more shards/champion wildcards by paying up. That really seems like the only way LoR is getting money from players aside from pure cosmetics. Getting the Blossom battle pass was probably the best use of money in LoR thus far that I have seen because buying individual wild cards or cosmetics is super expensive otherwise.

If I had to assume, they will release champions this way:

First Expansion = 4 champions from Targon, 3 from other regions.

2nd Expansion = 1 from Targon, 2 from other regions.

3rd Expansion = 1 from Targon, 2 from other regions.

Bringing a total of 6 champions per region.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah it was sadly always looking like we were going to get lopsided regional representation, I don't think there's really a clean way around it with the bimonthly release schedule.

It's hard to have more feelings about the expansion when they didn't release more info. Two weeks of build up though, here we go.

If I had to assume, they will release champions this way:

First Expansion = 4 champions from Targon, 3 from other regions.

2nd Expansion = 1 from Targon, 2 from other regions.

3rd Expansion = 1 from Targon, 2 from other regions.
I kind of expect Targon to be almost the entirety of the first expansion, because otherwise you're in a weird situation where they have a lot less than other regions. Targon having 4 champs and like 40 other cards while some other regions have 6 champs and 70 cards would feel bad. I assumed the 'major' release would be mostly the new region and the 'minor' sets would be filling out the other regions. Because you can mix regions adding Targon is still adding to the card pool for every other region, if that makes sense.

It's also why I think they'll have to stop adding new regions after the next two years or so, because it's just going to be come unfeasible balancing them all to have even representation (and match the lore). Or they start rotating them or something.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of expect Targon to be almost the entirety of the first expansion, because otherwise you're in a weird situation where they have a lot less than other regions. Targon having 4 champs and like 40 other cards while some other regions have 6 champs and 70 cards would feel bad. I assumed the 'major' release would be mostly the new region and the 'minor' sets would be filling out the other regions. Because you can mix regions adding Targon is still adding to the card pool for every other region, if that makes sense.
This was my guess too. Would be weird to have a Targon expansion and then have the smallest deck variety for that region. People would very, very quickly get tired of seeing the same cards every time Targon shows up in the loading screen.

Oct 27, 2017
I am all up for the smaller more frequent Expansions for the sake of meta and less content lulls, but it is a little disappointing seeing how it is a chopped up set into a two yearly set schedule.

Quality over quantity, but still... the earlier content roadmap presentation made it sound like the major expansions are going to be complete like Rising Tides, and the two smaller ones will just be extra.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW this set totals 169 cards while they said Rising Tides was 120. So it's 42% more cards as well. The first drop is 75% of the size of Rising Tides.

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW this set totals 169 cards while they said Rising Tides was 120. So it's 42% more cards as well. The first drop is 75% of the size of Rising Tides.

It is just that the expectation is to go up, you gotta pump those numbers. It was never realistic to go up and up, but with the champion leaks, it seemed like a sure thing to have the entire Expansion dropped like it was with Rising Tides: new region up to speed along with +1 on every existing one.

I celebrated the earlier roadmap prematurely, which was beating Heartstone at content delivery as well as getting close to MTGA (which has a lot of useless cards). Now, it is supposedly trailing behind HS, and the Amonkhet MTGA release delivers close to 3x the quantity of cards per year.

More importantly, where are we going to spend our shards and wildcards? I am also @100k mark now, along with something ludicrous like 300 common wildcards. What are your plans?

+ above all, we really need better limited mode, and probably a bit better labs/experimental modes since the last two were kind of bad. Bestow because one deck was waaaaaaaaaaaay too good, and the current one is just ARAM, swings too far into the whacky side. If the meta is going to be major shaken every two months, and stirred every patch, I lack the willpower to keep up with it :(

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There does get to be a point where you just can't keep up, because like Zero is saying, each set will have to be bigger than the previous ones to get the new region up to par with the existing ones.

And besides, there's only so many places in Runeterra that'll get regions, for mechanical (after a certain point you run out of interesting archetypes to mix and match) and lore reasons. With P&Z combined and the Yordles scattered across other regions, there's only 11 currently by Riot's official lore site. Granted, one of them (Ixtal) didn't exist last year, so they can always introduce new important locations, but I doubt there'll be significantly more than that.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think anything past 10 regions is too difficult to maintain and you kinda lose out on identities. That's also like 55 region combinations (including mono regions).

Seems like there are 12 possible regions, unless they combine some like they did P&Z.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I celebrated the earlier roadmap prematurely, which was beating Heartstone at content delivery as well as getting close to MTGA (which has a lot of useless cards). Now, it is supposedly trailing behind HS, and the Amonkhet MTGA release delivers close to 3x the quantity of cards per year.
They're not releasing as many cards, but it'll increase and we're getting cards at a more regular pace. Swim goes over it in more depth, but on a 4 month release schedule the second and especially third month are a deadzone for card games because the meta's 'solved' barring any patches, and there's no pre/post expansion hype. Going smaller but more frequently is trying to solve the Hearthstone and MTGA problem. I really don't care about card quantity, because outside of Limited in Magic they're like what, 90% useless? Draft is still the best card game format

I was also a little worried about smaller expansion not shaking up the meta as much, but we've seen how much a few changes can shake up the game so I think 40 cards could still change things dramatically.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Card quality matters more than card quantity. Bilgewater has fewer cards than like a HS expansion but far more impactful cards still.

Hell one card can change the meta game drastically.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think anything past 10 regions is too difficult to maintain and you kinda lose out on identities. That's also like 55 region combinations (including mono regions).

Seems like there are 12 possible regions, unless they combine some like they did P&Z.
There's 13 listed, but I'm assuming that they're not going to do Bandle City, since that's literally just Yordletown and the yorldles in LoR are spread out, and P&Z are counted separately on the regions page. So that's where I'm getting 11.

I could see them combining Ixtal and Shurima. They're in around the same area and Ixtal used to be part of the Shuriman Empire when that was a thing. And who knows, maybe Azir will have dragged his ass out of the desert and reconquered it by the time they get there.

So if we do a list of 10, it'd be:
  • Demacia
  • Noxus
  • Ionia
  • Freljord
  • P&Z
  • Shadow Isles
  • Bilgewater
  • Targon
  • Void
  • Shurima/Ixtal
The only thing about that, for me, is that that means we have... only 2 more regions after Targon? Which feels like too few. But that is a full year and a half of content, if each new set is 3 expansions and each expansion is 2 months apart. So maybe by then they'll be happy to just focus in on filling out existing regions.

One thing to keep in mind is that they're going to run out of champs to add from the game in some regions before others. Like, officially, Bilgewater has 7 champs. Demacia has 14. Ionia has 21. You get the idea. They can pad that out by moving champs around a little. There's 19 officially unaffiliated champs, and the Yordles are getting scattered already. But yeah, some regions are just going to have more options than others unless they start shuffling more people around.

(Worth noting that since those yordles and unaffiliated champs have already gotten dipped into for existing regions that evening out the numbers perfectly might just not be a priority for them)

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
10 regions is still a ton when you consider Magic only has 5 and still there is a lot of diversity in what you can build.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of visual design, there's so much potential and diversity in The Void, Ixtal, and Shurima.

Hope they all make it in as unique sets, though somehow, I can see The Void cards being Runeterra's "Colorless"(Region-less??) cards,
seems kinda fitting, flavor wise.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my season pass just now. Cus of those quests it wasn't bad, still have a week to finish it even! I think it was a good value, got a lot of cool pets, some cool emotes, some cool card backs. Though I do wish some of the emotes and card backs made more sense in Runeterra. Like I don't know who some of these characters are, I guess one is Yasuo with white hair, and another is Yone? And one of the emotes is a Teemo, but we don't have those alt costumes in Runeterra so it's kinda weird. Would have been cool if they could have added in alt champion level up animations that use those alt costumes. And I'm not sure who the swoon emote girl is, or the evil guy who now has an emote and a card back. Maybe they will be added in Targon, which would be cool, but I somehow doubt they will be.

But overall I think the event did it's job in keeping my attention with the game until Targon comes out. Interested in if they change anything with the next event. Also excited for these Targon reveals! Definitely think the game will keep my attention now that they are on an expansion every 2 months schedule, and I am a little wary about how they are releasing these expansions but willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd have preferred a HUGE set and then two really small infusions of cards, like 10-20 card expansions, but who knows, this might be better than that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Not as good as the others, IMO. They're leaning super hard into the "Leona and Diana are into each other but are separated by fate" thing but you get like 0 sense of their characters or the region if you don't know what's up going in. Contrast with the Bilgewater cinematic.

Chalk it up to COVID, I guess.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the first card seems quite good. the rest seem just okay. i guess spellshield is how they are deciding to nerf ezreal

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work versus Ruination? That seems like a big thing to figure out.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Spellshield was already overdue with some mechanics in this game, so I am already somewhat satisfied.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Riot on twitter just confirmed that it will not fizzle out Ruination but it will prevent that unit from dying. The spell still casts.

So does that also mean that since the spell doesn't fizzle out, if you target something with spell shield does it proc an Ezrael level up?

Riot Dev said:
Hey all, just jumping in to clarify:

Spellshield specifically stops "What the card does to me".So for example: If I cast avalanche and you spellshield teemo, exactly teemo will not take damage (And the spellshield will go away): Everything else still will.

Sorry about any confusion here! We currently use "Stop" for "Causes the spell to fizzle", and intent was for negate to imply the locality, but agree the sourcing is soft. Will be following to see if there's a clearer way to write this.

Mountain Sojourners's text is out of date/ has been buffed:

Support: Grant my supported ally +2|+2. If it has Support, grant its supported ally +2|+2 and continue for each supported ally in succession.

Very similar to current, but it will continue down. So if for example you attack with:

Mountain Sojourners, Shen x 5 (Or whoever your favorite support is :D), it will grant all the Shens +2|+2.

They have buffed the Mountain Soujourners card as well.

Last edited:

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
That was a boring trailer, also "forbidden lovers" trope in fiction for hetro couples is something that never worked for me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The MF/Graves/TF trailer remains the best. It is a short, self-contained story that showcases the personalities and tricks of the characters.

Launch cinematic, Ionia, Noxus, Braum, Demacia, Harry Steampotter, this are quite far behind. I would like Noxus more if the king wasn't in the literal position of death regardless of the crown, but more of the "ordering people to suicide in the unlikely attempt to defend him", and Darius gave them a choice or something...

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Spellshield seems pretty straight forward if you're familiar with this type of effect in other card games. It never "cancels" any spell like Ruination. I'd imagine Ez gets a stack because targeting did happen, just the effect got stuffed. I'm most curious about stuff that doesn't "affect" a card like Fading Memories. Though I'm guessing that wording is for simplicity's sake and Spellshield just stuffs the first spell that involves the unit in any way.

How do people feel about the 2/2? It seems like the 2HP is a permanent buff? A 2HP buff is clutch on paper (see Elixir of Iron), but it's not burst and to claim the buff, you have to engage in combat. The statline on the 2/2 means it dies to most 1 drops. The not buffed reach on the supported unit means it may not trade evenly with a blocker, nullifying most of the value of the buff in the first place.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Spellshield seems pretty straight forward if you're familiar with this type of effect in other card games. It never "cancels" any spell like Ruination. I'd imagine Ez gets a stack because targeting did happen, just the effect got stuffed. I'm most curious about stuff that doesn't "affect" a card like Fading Memories. Though I'm guessing that wording is for simplicity's sake and Spellshield just stuffs the first spell that involves the unit in any way.

How do people feel about the 2/2? It seems like the 2HP is a permanent buff? A 2HP buff is clutch on paper (see Elixir of Iron), but it's not burst and to claim the buff, you have to engage in combat. The 2 health means it dies to most 1 drops. The not buffed reach on the supported unit means it may not trade evenly with a blocker, nullifying most of the value of the buff in the first place.
Most likely a worse Warchiefs in most cases, however Targon is heavily pushing this Support synergy so its possible that if you have an entire deck of Supports then this card makes sense. Very good Expedition card though.

To be honest, everything aside from Bastion is mediocre/undewhelming. We really need to see more of this archetype to form a proper conclusion.

Arbiter of the Peak may have some potential in Noxus aggro deck. Brother's bond, Darius, Kato, Transfusion, Legion Drummer etc. can offer multiple triggers and you can get it off early. At best it's probably just a weaker They Who Endure, which may be fine as it is in a different region with different condition.

Developer confirmed that Spellshield stops Fading Memory. Also people are expecting that the concept of Support + Spellshield is related to one of the new Targon heroes named
Taric

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Most likely a worse Warchiefs in most cases, however Targon is heavily pushing this Support synergy so its possible that if you have an entire deck of Supports then this card makes sense. Very good Expedition card though.

To be honest, everything aside from Bastion is mediocre/undewhelming. We really need to see more of this archetype to form a proper conclusion.
Agreed. The 2/2 feels entirely inferior to War Chefs without some 1m 3/1 with upside to pair it up with. And as usual, good decks don't run bad cards to try to squeeze value out of them. I think the 2/5 is just kind of bad no matter the context. There has to be a champion that levels off of number of supports and do something busted to be worth even considering. The cost reduction one... I never underestimate cost reduction, but starting at 10 is pretty rough. If you support TWICE per battle round, that's still 2 battle rounds or four turns until you get it to cost 6, which is the maximum cost it would even be considered playable. And considering you're most likely not supporting t1...

Another thing about supports... It's a mechanic that leans heavily on whether you attack evens or odds. Not sure if that's an issue or not.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The 6/6 Overwhelm counts as target too so using a Transfusion on the opponent's attacking turn still counts as trigger for it.

Turn 1: Play a minion (let's say Legion Saboteur)
Turn 2: play a support minion (let's say Legion Drummer)
Turn 3: Attack with minion and support minion, use transfusion = 3 triggers.
Turn 4: Play Draven and use an axe or any spell or minion that targets one of your minions= 1 trigger
Turn 5: Summon Kato, use Brother's Bond with spell mana banked = 3 triggers, plus maybe another if your support minion survived from previous turns
Turn 6: Game is soon to be over and you can now potentially play Arbiter of the Peak for 2-3 mana, maybe two of them.

That to me is like best case scenario, are two 6/6s better than something Darius? Only way that could ever be true is if you could play like a Darius AND these for 0 or 1 mana on the same turn. Doesn't seem likely however the math changes if they are cards that can target 3 or more allies at one time.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The 6/6 Overwhelm counts as target too so using a Transfusion on the opponent's attacking turn still counts as trigger for it.

Turn 1: Play a minion (let's say Legion Saboteur)
Turn 2: play a support minion (let's say Legion Drummer)
Turn 3: Attack with minion and support minion, use transfusion = 3 triggers.
Turn 4: Play Darius and use an axe or any spell or minion that targets one of your minions= 1 trigger
Turn 5: Summon Kato, use Brother's Bond with spell mana banked = 3 triggers, plus maybe another if your support minion survived from previous turns
Turn 6: Game is soon to be over and you can now potentially play Arbiter of the Peak for 2-3 mana, maybe two of them.

That to me is like best case scenario, are two 6/6s better than something Darius? Only way that could ever be true is if you could play like a Darius AND these for 0 or 1 mana on the same turn. Doesn't seem likely however the math changes if they are cards that can target 3 or more allies at one time.
Yeah, I figure overestimating the support per turn count would cover for the targeting part, but Brother's Bond is a good catch. That seems to be the highest that card can aim for, which is good, but the chances it happens.... meh?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Meant to say Draven instead of Darius on turn 4, the Axes would count as a trigger for this too.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Rioter confirmed some things: https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfR...rgon_spellshield_card_keyword_reveal/g14dem4/

The 2/5 now continues granting +2/+2 all the way down a support chain. That does change things IF supports are abundant and resilient enough to survive until turn 5.

Spellshield does not stop Ez stacks and it doesn't fizzle whole spells. I imagine the Fading Memories example will also work as I expect.

On that note, what do we think of Bastion as a card? Honestly, it feels fairly underwhelming in a vacuum and this is obviously subject to change. But at the moment, how many hard removals are there this would work better on over Barrier? Vengeance, Ruination, Will are the most commonly played ones at the moment. You gain that protection over the ability to nullify combat. And it doesn't work on Freezes unless you pre-cast it (which will be relevant on a lethal turn). It feels too narrow for what it does. But perhaps having another faction with a defensive spell isn't bad either way.