• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hit my lv13 on Friday actually from doing two expeditions earlier in the week. Here's hoping I get my mathematically deserved champion lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad other people mentioned this because this video just made me double take, but I think they must have changed this recently. I could swear if you did this before and killed the unit being targeted the entire effect fizzled.

...which made no sense because you could play experimenter on an empty board targeting nothing and get the discard/draw. I wonder if that was a remnant of the pre-nerf version that let you target the nexus.
either way, I'm glad it works like it reads now.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Argh... Damn Dawn and Dusk.
Went 0 on this Trial.

u3WR7ig.png

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Swim's idea to add poro 1 drops and poro hearder to the ezreal combo deck is genius. It adds so much needed cycle to the deck. He may seem like an arrogant dude at first, but he really does have the knowledge to back it up.

Also I can't wait until there are some decent stat tracking utilities out there that show matchup statistics as well. Hopefully we get something to the level of hearthstone deck tracker eventually.

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
commander ledros is a nice card and all, but that bouncing ability is really something. does it really need to bounce back to the hand if the effect already says to cut the health in half???

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
So you're down a card and half your life and still have to deal with an 8/6 Fearsome? While that is technically better than the alternative, it's not much of a counter.
you're not dealing with fearsome because purify wipes the keyword

so your opponent probably spent all their mana to play an 8/6 vanilla body that best-case did 10 damage to your nexus and you spent 2 mana to mitigate most of its' long-term impact. if you can't seize the board off that i feel like the game was always going to be a problem for you

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
you're not dealing with fearsome because purify wipes the keyword

so your opponent probably spent all their mana to play an 8/6 vanilla body that best-case did 10 damage to your nexus and you spent 2 mana to mitigate most of its' long-term impact. if you can't seize the board off that i feel like the game was always going to be a problem for you

Firstly, you do realize what deck Ledros goes in right? It's a deck that from turn 2 spams you with tons of hard to block units that also has card advantage and some removal built in. By the time turn 8 rolls around they're likely also attacking you with a Hecarim, maybe a Rhasa if they drew one, and probably a couple mistwraiths too. And your board is probably weak because you've been throwing all your stuff away to prevent the mistwraiths and spectral riders from killing you on top of losing 2 of your units to Rhasa. People aren't just losing to Ledros by himself, the whole region is loaded with very powerful attackers that demand immediate answers as well as removal to disrupt their opponents and card advantage to keep the pressure up. It's not just Ledros, it's that the rest of Shadow Isles is extremely oppressive and on top of that they also have an 8 drop that is extremely difficult to answer, (there's like 3 cards in the whole game that actually are able to stop his recursion, and only one is actually seeing play right now) and even the cards that do "answer" him still don't answer him fully as stuff like Purify and Hextech Transmogulator don't deal with the life halving effect and purify still leaves a massive unit behind that has to be dealt with or it's likely going to kill you since you at best have 10 life left. Also what are you supposed to do if you're not playing one of the regions that has one of the "counters" to him?

While I don't really think he's the BIGGEST issue with Shadow Isles, (I would go after Glimpse, Hecarim, Elise, and probably Mistcaller and Rhasa before him) he's a very frustrating card to handle because often your reward for surviving all of the dangerous and hard to answer threats that SI has to offer is a borderline unkillable 8 drop that requires you to either immediately kill them or for you to have a very specific answer that usually isn't very effective against the rest of their deck. And even if you do have the specific answer you still have to deal with an 8/6.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Purify is an "answer" to ledros, but it is by no means a good answer. The only reasonable answer right now is frostbite and ignoring him. Pretty nonsense that you can't even chump him out because of the fearsome keyword. That card is just so overloaded it's funny, but I do agree that hecarim and the pressure they can put on with wraithcaller is more of a problem right now. There hasn't really been a strong meta reaction for over a week now like we saw for the other dominant archetypes. I think we will definitely be seeing some SI nerfs in a week when they do their first balance patch.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i still don't think that there's anything necessarily wrong with ledros' design as a card, at least in terms of the text itself. he does what he's meant to do (that is, end games) and has clear upside and downside to playing him. people just really don't like ledros because it's a big showy effect and the game usually ends right after he's played but he's a symptom more than anything. i will concede if a card feels especially bad to lose against that it's a sign that card should be changed, but like, if they decided to just delete ledros the decks that currently run him would putter on without issue. i think the situations people actually 'lose' to ledros himself are very few compared to everything else those decks throw at you.

like for sure, nerf hecarim, you can hit glimpse and mistwraiths while you're at it. atrocity is problematic too. i don't know if you need to do that much more than that and you'll for sure see ledros himself less when those cards are dealt with. if you can't guarantee the board state he's not going to win you a game by himself because in spite of everything he's still too slow for that.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i think atrocity is a card that can limit design space which is why i would call it problematic. if you changed it to 2/3 mana deal damage to any ally it'd probably be kinda bad but wouldn't enable possibly really degenerate combos

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Netdecked the barrier Fiora deck because I could, and it's so matchup dependent that it isn't really that fun to play. I mean, yes, I've gotten a few OTK wins with Fiora's ability, but that novelty has worn off, and honestly the rest of the deck is competent but not great. The creatures to spells ratio feels off, it's lacking at the low cost end in terms of creatures for sure, and it feels like it doesn't have good answers to a good number of matchups. I did throw a few Detains in there, which definitely helped. I will say that I do appreciate that the deck has made me think outside the box a few times.

re: Shadow Isles

Honestly, what I'm starting to realize after getting continually walloped by SI is that they have very little downside. They're creature spread is wide, and their spells are answers to nearly everything, since board state is incredibly important.

It's almost to the point where if they have Hecarim as a champ and 2 drop a Shark Chariot, I'm going to surrender.

It's one thing to have a bad match up, but I've run up against that mist caller/ephemeral combo numerous times while playing different decks and my W-L record against it is real bad no matter what I'm running.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Netdecked the barrier Fiora deck because I could, and it's so matchup dependent that it isn't really that fun to play. I mean, yes, I've gotten a few OTK wins with Fiora's ability, but that novelty has worn off, and honestly the rest of the deck is competent but not great. The creatures to spells ratio feels off, it's lacking at the low cost end in terms of creatures for sure, and it feels like it doesn't have good answers to a good number of matchups. I did throw a few Detains in there, which definitely helped. I will say that I do appreciate that the deck has made me think outside the box a few times.
Fiora decks want to bank 3 spell mana to play and attack with her safely imo. I pair her with Zed because they both have the same pattern of attack on 3, if left unanswered, win game.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq 3 weeks in a row withoput champion or gold cards with all 3 diamond. today no epic also. im not even that lucky in love!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq 3 weeks in a row withoput champion or gold cards with all 3 diamond. today no epic also. im not even that lucky in love!
pretty sure the only gold cards are champions, but that still sucks.
I'm hoping I get at least one this week. If I recall right my level 13 vault last week only contained a single purple :/

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
man the more i think about it wraithcaller is a pretty insane card. 4 mana 6/5 baseline over two (fearsome) bodies unless you get really unlucky. even better than the 'premium' statline for the cost of 4/5 and being two for one means your opponent can't play more than one blocker for it (if they have something to block it at all). basically never been a time i've been unhappy to play that card

should probably at least be 3/3 or something lol

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to play a ton this week, but Lux/Elise continues to hold its own vs the meta. I really feel like Lux is being slept on as a pressure tool. She's usually hard to deal with/easy to protect when she comes down, then adds value to your combat tricks and other big spells until dealt with.

She's really over the top when your opponent has already spent resources fighting Elise and Dawnspeakers. Damacian Sergeant has also been over-performing for me, adding an on-curve body to my early board while drawing a surprisingly versatile late game spell that enables Lux

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been able to play a ton this week, but Lux/Elise continues to hold its own vs the meta. I really feel like Lux is being slept on as a pressure tool. She's usually hard to deal with/easy to protect when she comes down, then adds value to your combat tricks and other big spells until dealt with.

She's really over the top when your opponent has already spent resources fighting Elise and Dawnspeakers. Damacian Sergeant has also been over-performing for me, adding an on-curve body to my early board while drawing a surprisingly versatile late game spell that enables Lux
Does she go off if your spell is Denied? My guess would be yes, but....

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Level 10 vault upgraded to two diamonds.
... 1 epic, 0 champs, lol

I've saved up to 9546 shards. I can at least buy those Fioras now.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i skipped a week of playing because i was annoyed with elusives so i wasn't able to do too many expeditions this week. got my vault to level 11 and ready to do my time so i can get those cards... i just want to build fun concepts and experiment

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Pulled an Ashe from my level 13 Vault, that's the first Champion I've got from one yet and she's not bad.

Other than that the epics and rares were junk but got a few core commons I hadn't filled out yet.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
why do you guys think viewership of the game on twitch is so low? I'm sure the player base is still fine (partly because of how active this thread is and how many views videos get on YouTube) but still

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
why do you guys think viewership of the game on twitch is so low? I'm sure the player base is still fine (partly because of how active this thread is and how many views videos get on YouTube) but still

Is it low? Swim's stayed pretty consistent around 3k so I didn't think it was losing much ground.
I think it's a matter that compared to Hearthstone (not even counting Kripp here) it's pretty low. As of this post for example HS is at over 37.5k, whilst LoR is only at around 4k viewers.
I've also thought about this myself. I thought the brand power of League of Legends would push it more, but I guess not?

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Is it low? Swim's stayed pretty consistent around 3k so I didn't think it was losing much ground.

Swim and Navioot are the only people who get more than 400 viewers from what I've seen when I check recently. Like yesterday it was swim with 3k then the next highest was 200 viewers. Total viewership at that time was 7k people for the game overall

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Swim and Navioot are the only people who get more than 400 viewers from what I've seen when I check recently. Like yesterday it was swim with 3k then the next highest was 200 viewers. Total viewership at that time was 7k people for the game overall

Swim usually has pretty huge drop off from when he starts streaming games and then a few weeks later. So I just assumed viewership was staying pretty good. Pretty much everything he's streamed he's usually fallen down to 500 consistant viewers after the first week or so of a game.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
the main thing is that basically none of the established card game streamers are playing it regularly because there's no way to buy yourself into a complete/close to complete collection from day 1 and they aren't going to stream for hours to play the same budget deck any new player would be able to make. entitled? yeah, i guess. but that's how the cookie crumbles.

the game also isn't 'officially' out and a lot of the novelty impact of it happened during the closed beta period when it was being shown off by a great deal of those big streamers + people just curious about a new game. you'll get a refresh in interest when the game has an official release and/or riot concedes and gives streamers some sort of headstart account where they can make whatever decks they want. probably not the best precedent to set though, and then the question becomes how big a streamer you'd have to be where that'd be worth offering to someone.

mostly i just think runeterra has to basically create its' own community of streamers/people who watch streams and that's something that happens over time. once riot does things like big money tournaments that'll probably drive interest toward the game as well.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Swim usually has pretty huge drop off from when he starts streaming games and then a few weeks later. So I just assumed viewership was staying pretty good. Pretty much everything he's streamed he's usually fallen down to 500 consistant viewers after the first week or so of a game.

Ah I've heard about his troubles with previous games, but LoR is still pretty popular I think. It's just that he is THE De Facto streamer since he put in so much work before the game was even out, and his editor keeps content coming even while swim is streaming. On YouTube and on Twitch I think his numbers are always going to be the highest for a good while

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

It's been routinely pulling similar/better numbers than Magic the Gathering, so I wouldn't say it's been doing horribly. None of the pre-established major streamers are really playing the game right now for one reason or another, and that was a major part of the massive viewership it had during the original preview. (The other being that people got invites for watching streams)

The other big thing though is the cap that Riot has on being able to acquire cards, most big streamers would be willing to drop a couple hundred bucks to have access to all the cards so they can brew, but even if you've bought every single wildcard possible, had been maxing out on xp every day, and were killing it in expeditions you'd still probably be missing a 4th of the cards by now. And for variety streamers it's even worse because you basically have to be grinding this game to have a remotely decent collection. I think the card restrictions are a major reason why no one who's already established has switched over to this game, so LoR streamers need to make a name for themselves and attract a following. I'm pretty sure the stream numbers have been slowly climbing the last week or so for what it's worth.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
SuperJJ clocks in usually between 1-3K of viewers for his stream and he usually plays nothing more than Draven / Jinx deck which on paper looks really solid and he has a tonne of fun playing.

man the more i think about it wraithcaller is a pretty insane card. 4 mana 6/5 baseline over two (fearsome) bodies unless you get really unlucky. even better than the 'premium' statline for the cost of 4/5 and being two for one means your opponent can't play more than one blocker for it (if they have something to block it at all). basically never been a time i've been unhappy to play that card

should probably at least be 3/3 or something lol
I honestly think if Riot just removed the Fearless stat from both the Wraithcaller and Mistwraiths it would go a long way to balancing them out. Also I don't like the interaction of if you use the Chronicler of Ruin on the Wraithcaller it will re-summon another Mistwraith with it. Not sure if that is a bug but it has "Play" attached to it so I guess the re-summon is classed as "Playing" it when I am thinking more along the lines of HS and Battlecries.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

SuperJJ clocks in usually between 1-3K of viewers for his stream and he usually plays nothing more than Draven / Jinx deck which on paper looks really solid and he has a tonne of fun playing.

I honestly think if Riot just removed the Fearless stat from both the Wraithcaller and Mistwraiths it would go a long way to balancing them out. Also I don't like the interaction of if you use the Chronicler of Ruin on the Wraithcaller it will re-summon another Mistwraith with it. Not sure if that is a bug but it has "Play" attached to it so I guess the re-summon is classed as "Playing" it when I am thinking more along the lines of HS and Battlecries.
In closed beta, wraithcaller was a 4/2 without fearsome. Needless to say they went a bit overboard with the buff on that card.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
In closed beta, wraithcaller was a 4/2 without fearsome. Needless to say they went a bit overboard with the buff on that card.
Ah, thats interesting to know. I would keep it at 4/3 personally and yeah remove fearless from just the Wraithcaller (although that minion with it would be OK) its the culmination of the stacked Mistwraith's with fearless that I think cause the bigger problems.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
haven't used my token yet but it seems the gods want me to play a self damage Braum/Vlad deck... we shall see what today brings us.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Does she go off if your spell is Denied? My guess would be yes, but....

Sadly she doesn't, but you have plenty of deny bait, so typically you can run through their mana, bait an early Deny, or contest the board well enough to start chaining must
-answer haymakers until they falter. Deny/elusives haven't been huge issues for me

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
question about champions, is having a single one good enough to make a deck with it? I feel it becomes too inconsistent to put only a single copy of a champion in a deck.

got a hecarim yesterday in my SI rewards, but honestly feels bad to have only one of him to try to make a deck out it.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
question about champions, is having a single one good enough to make a deck with it? I feel it becomes too inconsistent to put only a single copy of a champion in a deck.

got a hecarim yesterday in my SI rewards, but honestly feels bad to have only one of him to try to make a deck out it.

Depends on the deck. Hecarim can be fine as a 1x if you're using him as a generic finisher and that's all the copies you have, but I wouldn't recommend building something Iike a dedicated ephemeral deck without 3x of him. He's too important there.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be I'm one of the luckier ones with getting a champ with every vault so far.

Game still plays keep away with the cards I actually want.

At least the game didn't give me Teemo yet.