• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah baby just pulled a Rhasa as a random epic, there's something very usable. Hit level 10 on my vault too.

e: also this thread has already overtaken the Gwent OT damn

This is exactly my point tho. Was actually going to change that "I disagree" after rereading what I said. It's not necessarily the RNG that is the issue but more how decks are insanely important and decide most of game. And the actual strategy is of course important but not even close to having a good deck.
...it's a card game. Of course decks are insanely important. But skill and strategy is absolutely more important at the end of the day.

Do you think you'll keep winning non-stop forever? You realize how ranked and matchmaking works, right? You'll go up against better and better players and suddenly they'll have a deck that's just as good as yours. That's when you're going to need skill. The "it's the deck!" excuse only works early on when you're low on resources and knowledge (as most of the people you're beating are).

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i feel like the kid saying he'd be permabanned if the game had chat says everything we need to know about em
FYI never been banned before. Writing a comment after getting really frustrated wasn't the smartest idea. But getting so hostile when someone gives a remarks on a game you like is childish.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah baby just pulled a Rhasa as a random epic, there's something very usable. Hit level 10 on my vault too.

e: also this thread has already overtaken the Gwent OT damn

...it's a card game. Of course decks are insanely important. But skill and strategy is absolutely more important at the end of the day.

Do you think you'll keep winning non-stop forever? You realize how ranked and matchmaking works, right? You'll go up against better and better players and suddenly they'll have a deck that's just as good as yours. That's when you're going to need skill. The "it's the deck!" excuse only works early on when you're low on resources and knowledge (as most of the people you're beating are).

Yeah thats exactly what I mean, that I'm going to keep winning... Mate you're talking to me like this the first game I've played. Hate to write this, but I've reached diamond+ in both Lol and tft. I understand that you as an "experienced" ccg player think strategy plays more of an impact then having a good deck. From what I have played, it seems that having a good deck seems more impactful than then what you can do ingame with good strategy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
FYI never been banned before. Writing a comment after getting really frustrated wasn't the smartest idea. But getting so hostile when someone gives a remarks on a game you like is childish.

i played league since 2010, the kids who get banned for chat do it because they are racist homophobic little shits who blame their hate speech for "getting really frustrated"

you made your own comparison

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
people have become very unimpressed with toxic behavior in gaming so when your post made it seem like you were someone who engages in it, that's the reaction you get. don't take it too personal

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah thats exactly what I mean, that I'm going to keep winning... Mate you're talking to me like this the first game I've played. Hate to write this, but I've reached diamond+ in both Lol and tft. I understand that you as an "experienced" ccg player think strategy plays more of an impact then having a good deck.
This is the first card game you've played. I've got 20 years on you here.

From what I have played, it seems that having a good deck seems more impactful than then what you can do ingame with good strategy.
Yes, at the low level you play at.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I ended up getting a third Zed from an Expedition run (4 wins, then 6 with the last match being very close) and crafted two Hecarim to make an Ephemeral aggro deck. Now I'm down to 2200 shards so I'll take a break from Expeditions until next Vault opening (hoping I make at least level 10, which shouldn't be too hard since I'm already halfway to level 9). I really wanted to try for a Fiora/Karma deck or something that would use my one Karma but I was just too far away from having the champions. I'm curious about OTK or control play styles but it's a bit more expensive given the cards that you start with IMO.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah thats exactly what I mean, that I'm going to keep winning... Mate you're talking to me like this the first game I've played. Hate to write this, but I've reached diamond+ in both Lol and tft. I understand that you as an "experienced" ccg player think strategy plays more of an impact then having a good deck. From what I have played, it seems that having a good deck seems more impactful than then what you can do ingame with good strategy.
When you reach the point where everyone is playing good decks, then skill will matter more. The fact that a good deck will beat a bad deck is a core tenet of card games, not a weakness. Loading up your gundam should be half the battle, and piloting it is the other half. If the game is well designed, you will reach a point where your good deck will start losing, and you will start improving either how you play it or you will modify it to have better draw rng vs your bad matchups.

It's a game of "chance", but when deckbuilding and mulliganing, you are exactly in control of the math here. See the opponent have Teemo? Do you know how many of your cards you should mulligan for hard removal? Is that 1-drop worth risking throwing back? You will not have an intelligent answer by just netdecking and playing it without experience.

Just for comparison's sake, LoL has tons of lopsided matchups, especially in top lane. And you're doing the equivalent of saying, "Man, soraka jungle just loses to better jungle champs, this matchup was decided before we even loaded up the game!"

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I'm not much of a player or deck builder but I've definitely had some games where the outplay (in one direction or the other) was very real.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
What don't you understand about turns? The attack token alternates, and whoever has it gets to act first. Each turn you can either play a card or attack (in any order) if you have the token. Once both players pass the round is over, the token swaps and the next begins.

It clicks after a while, I had lots of trouble understanding who can do what at which time in the beginning too after years of MTG and other TCG.

Thanks! For now I'll keep playing and see if it clicks.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, after watching Artifact, I wasn't sure I'd like the alternating turns thing. But now I'm convinced the counterplay in this game is deeply rooted in that mechanic. And the intensity people feel is because you have to be calculating every minute of the match; you're not just spectator for half.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, after watching Artifact, I wasn't sure I'd like the alternating turns thing. But now I'm convinced the counterplay in this game is deeply rooted in that mechanic. And the intensity people feel is because you have to be calculating every minute of the match; you're not just spectator for half.
Agreed. There's so many layers to how to use your turns. Leaving Mana up for responses, or trying to fortify your board on defense. Do you want to swing in immediately on offense or try to bait them into spending more Mana than they should, or try to Amp up your board, or-

Theres a lot going on.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. There's so many layers to how to use your turns. Leaving Mana up for responses, or trying to fortify your board on defense. Do you want to swing in immediately on offense or try to bait them into spending more Mana than they should, or try to Amp up your board, or-

Theres a lot going on.
Imagine doing all that thinking just for your creatures to attack random lanes. pahahahahaha

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I couldn't tell you how often I was torn over whether or not to attack or play another card. I knew the card would help me but it would also give the opponent another chance to play a card which could absolutely change everything.
it is REALLY tense.

Ecchigun

Dec 13, 2019
Very enjoyable game, the meta is heavily on your first 3 turns for now so... Good luck out there duelists (or wtv)

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Didn't have a lot of fun with any of the starter decks.. till I got my hands on two Yasuo cards. It almost feels broken since so many cards can stun for such a low cost. I suppose any form of removal can fuck things up quickly though.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Artifact is like a more intense version of the tension ppl are feeling here with the alternate turns, i hope that game gets a resurgence, i love it when card games feel like fighting games

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Artifact is like a more intense version of the tension ppl are feeling here with the alternate turns, i hope that game gets a resurgence, i love it when card games feel like fighting games
giphy.gif

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The rank 2 player in EU is running a Demacia (no elusives) deck with Ionia splashed in. Just Deny and our good friend Inspiring Mentor lol. But yeah, like people have said, Challenger already counters elusives.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually waiting for official boards for this game. It's useful to track comments from Rioters about the game, at least in League. It's weird that the official site of the game doesn't have boards yet to discuss and have all the feedback from players in it.

If it's anything like League of Legends, you might be better served hanging around the subreddit. Riot is quite active on the LoL subreddit and I've seen some of them posting on the Runeterra one as well. Over the years i've seen them use Reddit and Twitter a ton, rather than having to go to their official boards.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The rank 2 player in EU is running a Demacia (no elusives) deck with Ionia splashed in. Just Deny and our good friend Inspiring Mentor lol. But yeah, like people have said, Challenger already counters elusives.
Just waiting for that Inspiring Mentor nerf!
2-cost, bring it on!

https://www.pcgamer.com/legends-of-...t-balance-feedback-and-whats-after-open-beta/ Cool article if you like to see behind the scenes or get some developer insight

Wow, I had no idea Duelyst was shutting down. I backed that on Kickstarter... and then barely played it <_<
Also dang, monthly releases? That'll keep things interesting.

Last edited:

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
If it's anything like League of Legends, you might be better served hanging around the subreddit. Riot is quite active on the LoL subreddit and I've seen some of them posting on the Runeterra one as well. Over the years i've seen them use Reddit and Twitter a ton, rather than having to go to their official boards.

I'm aware, I was a regular to the League subreddit a few years ago. Now I just check it once a week or less (only daily if Worlds is coming up).

It just weird to me that they don't have official boards for this game yet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Also dang, monthly releases? That'll keep things interesting.
it will. they also talked about adding like an adventure mode.
I wonder how meaty they will be.
Though I'd be perfectly fine if they typically were just a story mode where you could play through a champ's story that gives like 20 minutes of story with like 10 battles so would take like 4 hours to complete :P

Are there any decent starter decks I can build on? I purchased the $5 card bundle.

I'd argue all the starter decks are decent.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
best and easiest to pilot starter deck imo is the elise/darius deck. has a very clear win con in getting early board advantage with spiders and finishing off with darius, and you can take the elise spider shell and transition that to a more control or tempo oriented direction

Does Barrier protect from Ruination? I don't have anyone to test it. This reminds me, why haven't we shared summoner's name?
barrier only protects from the first instance of damage on a character that round. ruination doesn't deal damage, it destroys all units and so barrier wouldn't do anything for it.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Thanks for posting this... I'm a complete addict for this game right now. I. NEED. ALL. THE. INFO.

I'm glad its really out there that we are in this for the long haul! Very excited for things we plan to both make, and fix :D

I think if you want a super active community, Reddit a place to go for sure. We typically just go to wherever players already are (likely because they like it there in the first place) vs. building yet another different place they have to visit. That said I kinda like smaller places like this , as things get lost fast in massive places like Reddit.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So, I have been playing a descent amount, but all the decks I see people using and would love to try seem like they would take years to get those cards. Is there a faster way to get cards? Or is just keep playing?

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm glad its really out there that we are in this for the long haul! Very excited for things we plan to both make, and fix :D
Give me your phone number... I want to chat. (I'm only half kidding...lol)

So, I have been playing a descent amount, but all the decks I see people using and would love to try seem like they would take years to get those cards. Is there a faster way to get cards? Or is just keep playing?
Buy the starter pack and then the complete amount of Wildcards for the week. Get the Vault to 10-13, get the regions to 4-5 and then move to the next one, etc.

From the PCGamer interview:
Our goal really is to have ten decks of different faction combinations and feel that they are all viable and that no cards in our sets are filler. Because we're not selling you random packs, we basically get away with not giving you cards that can't be used in any deck. Even the basic cards have a place in a set. So for us, getting to that ten-deck meta is our dream. I don't know if we will get there right away, but I think that aspiration will push us towards making sure the meta is fresh.

Damn, Riot is saying all the right things.

Last edited:

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Where have I heard that before 🤔
Lol touche, thats fair. The only thing I can point you to is looking at League of Legends 10 years ago, (or even 5 years ago) vs. where its at today in terms of support. Steady, Incremental long term improvement is something I can say Riot does really well.
I'm happy the beta is going pretty nicely, but we all know how much work we have ahead of us, haha...
Also I work on LoR now, so I would be pretty concerned for my own sake if we weren't going to keep working on it XD

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Lol touche, thats fair. The only thing I can point you to is looking at League of Legends 10 years ago, (or even 5 years ago) vs. where its at today in terms of support. Steady, Incremental long term improvement is something I can say Riot does really well.
I'm happy the beta is going pretty nicely, but we all know how much work we have ahead of us, haha...
Also I work on LoR now, so I would be pretty concerned for my own sake if we weren't going to keep working on it XD

I've always tried to get into LoL but MOBAs aren't really my thing, but this is probably turning into my favorite digital card game so great work so far!

Also, y'all should think about multiplayer battles like 2v2! =P

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
https://www.pcgamer.com/legends-of-...t-balance-feedback-and-whats-after-open-beta/ Cool article if you like to see behind the scenes or get some developer insight

i love the fucking balls on this guy.

we aren't selling random packs, and we're generous with rewards and we can make sure there are no filler commons.

if everyone owns 60-70% of the set, when we do hard balance moves these nerds won't complain.

league went supported monthly for 10 years, expect the same.

i don't mind spending money on this game at all honestly

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Artifact had some good ideas, but as an overall package I'm glad Riot is succeeding in a big way over it.

the champions alone are better designed at every level (though crippling

Loved what Artifact tried to do, but I think the main problem for it was an identity crisis - was it a card game or a board game? Still, loved the idea of an actual trading card game. With that said... Legends of Runeterra is doing it completely right as far as a free to play digital card game so this can gladly replace what I hoped Artifact would be for me - and that is, my main digital card game that I really get into.

i don't mind spending money on this game at all honestly

I don't either - I'm going to purposely not spend money on cards (aside from maybe bundles like the starter pack), but cosmetics and whatnot are something I'll enjoy spending my money on. I have friends that have played LoL and the support it gets is incredible. Exciting to see this game continue to change and improve along with it. I do hope there will be cosmetics unlocked with regular play too, just to be clear.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love CCGs but didn't give artifact a second look after seeing it needed payment to even get into. I need to get a feel for mechanics before I would be comfortable spending money on a card game that is otherwise such a time sink, and I'd image that also made it hard to get newer players. Watching alone doesn't convey a ton for me, while I got into the beta for this and through playing realized how much I liked it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing that attracts me most about Runeterra, aside from being a really fun card game, is that is because it's based on the LoL world, so these are characters and things I recognize and enjoy.

HS is a great game absolutely, but I was never into WarCraft, and as such I never felt as much of a connection playing that game.