• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
During previews, I was a little cold on Expeditions as they weren't a "real" draft.

Now that I am playing, and given a free token a week, I like the casual "pick up and play" nature of Expeditions. The barrier to entry is so low, and the rewards are so good, it's a really fun sandbox that hands you synergies to mess with.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During previews, I was a little cold on Expeditions as they weren't a "real" draft.

Now that I am playing, and given a free token a week, I like the casual "pick up and play" nature of Expeditions. The barrier to entry is so low, and the rewards are so good, it's a really fun sandbox that hands you synergies to mess with.

when/where do we get another coin? I used my first one after the tutorial and I didn't get another one with the weekly rewards.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I got one of my chest to upgrade to diamond chest!

uiKflL9.png
Damn, that's a really good Vault opening.

Doesn't the "Max" distinction mean you have three cards? At first, I thought it meant I had the max number of cards in the deck. The collection manager did seem to take some time to get used to now that I think about it. And I don't think my Wildcards I got from the Vault showed up in my pool. I wish I would have know what the numbers were before.

Doorakz You should have received a coin when you opened your Level 10 Vault. It was the first thing given out.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's a really good Vault opening.

Doesn't the "Max" distinction mean you have three cards? At first, I thought it meant I had the max number of cards in the deck. The collection manager did seem to take some time to get used to now that I think about it.

Max means you've put the full number you have from your collection into a deck. If a card has no number next to it in your collection, that means you have 3x of that card.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Extra cards essentially are auto-dusted too, right? My biggest complaint would be improvements to collection manager are needed. If I import a deck I have a hard time telling how close I am to owning the cards required to complete it. It's honestly not that big a deal since I will most likely just stick to Expeditions assuming I can keep winning. I don't think I'd exceed the 3 runs a week either. I'll start dabbling in constructed once I have a bit more of a collection and know the cards better. Hopefully I can keep getting at least level 10 vaults for a bit too. I noticed I don't get 3 daily quests anymore after the first couple days.

I didn't check how many epics I got but I did get Karma from my vaults. I only had level 10 ones too.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The Yasuo control deck I'm using now is really the way I want to play. Just reached 3000 shards and crafted my second one. Now running two Zed's alongside him, Katarina is probably better but don't have any copies of her yet. And Zed feel pretty decent in the deck.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Extra cards essentially are auto-dusted too, right? My biggest complaint would be improvements to collection manager are needed. If I import a deck I have a hard time telling how close I am to owning the cards required to complete it. It's honestly not that big a deal since I will most likely just stick to Expeditions assuming I can keep winning. I don't think I'd exceed the 3 runs a week either. I'll start dabbling in constructed once I have a bit more of a collection and know the cards better. Hopefully I can keep getting at least level 10 vaults for a bit too. I noticed I don't get 3 daily quests anymore after the first couple days.

I didn't check how many epics I got but I did get Karma from my vaults. I only had level 10 ones too.

what's this about? is there a limit in the amount of expeditions per week?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
After your third expedition per week, the rest are free for the week at drastically reduced rewards (no champ for instance). Basically, you unlock it as another mode to play for quests and win bonuses for the rest of the week.

I'm wondering if it's more worth it to save up 3 tokens or 2 tokens and 3k dust for one week. That would be 2 weeks of vault savings -> 1 week of expedition play.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After your third expedition per week, the rest are free for the week at drastically reduced rewards (no champ for instance). Basically, you unlock it as another mode to play for quests and win bonuses for the rest of the week.

I'm wondering if it's more worth it to save up 3 tokens or 2 tokens and 3k dust for one week. That would be 2 weeks of vault savings -> 1 week of expedition play.

that's what I'm thinking now, to save the token for the beggining of the week, make the 3 paid expeditions available and then basically unlock the extra mode the entire week.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
As Lumination said, I heard after 3 runs (6 trials) you can play for free but you only get your typical XP rewards that you would also get from playing constructed. So it might still be your preferred way to play and you can draft decks, but getting 7 wins would feel less impactful at that point.

I'm guessing that even if I only get 5 wins per trial I'd be able to play Expeditions consistently for awhile. I'm not sure if at least one 7 win is necessary to "go infinite".

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Does everyone get the same champions during the prologue? Feels like champions are a bit too expensive right now.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico

Yeah I'm thinking on doing this too, I'll see how long it takes me to get my vault to level 10 without the Expedition boost.

Also, does the chest/capsule have a % of upgrading into a Expedition token? It would be cool if there was a pretty slim chance of getting one in a capsule or chest. It would've to be a very low chance (1%?, less?), but it would be great.

Oct 27, 2017
While this isn't a problem right now, feels like some cards have a bit too extreme scale when it comes to RNG effects. You know, the cards which create a random Epic spell, ranging anywhere from the useless Catastophy to the game-winning board wipe or draw 3. Karma can also pop-off with some high value spells.

For the casual scrub, this is the "fun" RNG, but I can see how it is problematic for the pro play.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa didnt know about the whole expeditions are free after 3 played thing. That sounds dope to me, tho i dont think i'll be playing 3 expeditions in a week

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I don't think people sho don't look in this thread release how good this game is, so tempted to make a thread to spotlight this game after the hours I spent on it last night.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty silly you can't play free draft until three paid runs are done with, as you are really guaranteed only one per week.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Happy first vault day everyone!
I was up trying to nudge myself up to level 11 last night but couldn't make it...but I got a lot of wildcard upgrades which should help.

My Rally deck is starting to gain some steam already! Having Lucian, Senna, some follower, and Kat makes things really awkward for your opponent lol. If they attack they might level up Lucian, or give me a free rally on their turn, but either way I still get 1-2 free hits with kat alone. The best was when one time they blocked her, and all it did was weaken their wall-follower enough that my entire squad could safely go in again!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's always been Allegiance since the first beta at least. That card would be absurdly broken if it didn't have the allegiance requirement...
yeah i was just dumb. it just always worked for me.

Can anyone try and clarify for me how it works if you block with a unit and recall it?
I thought it would mean the block still counts and the enemy won't do any damage. Isn't that right?
Do Overwhelm creatures cancel that out? I just won a game cause my opponent blocked my Overwhelm creature but before the attack happened he recalled his own unit yet the blue "blocked" icon didn't show up and I did full damage.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OKOK vault day was a big hit

got 3 decks now for each playstyle:

jinx/draven discard aggro
zed/darius midrange
ezreal/heimer control

no demacia / freljord decks for now - maybe next week

I don't think people sho don't look in this thread release how good this game is, so tempted to make a thread to spotlight this game after the hours I spent on it last night.

do it

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Happy first vault day everyone!
I was up trying to nudge myself up to level 11 last night but couldn't make it...but I got a lot of wildcard upgrades which should help.

My Rally deck is starting to gain some steam already! Having Lucian, Senna, some follower, and Kat makes things really awkward for your opponent lol. If they attack they might level up Lucian, or give me a free rally on their turn, but either way I still get 1-2 free hits with kat alone. The best was when one time they blocked her, and all it did was weaken their wall-follower enough that my entire squad could safely go in again!
You, too! And that deck sounds fun... and oppressive lol

I can't wait to have time to craft/build today. I'll probably try and improve my D/F deck until I open more region stuff.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Notice of things to be aware of:

1. Don't purchase cards in the deck builder ui. Purchase them in the collections 'cards' ui. The deck builder ui sometimes eats shards / wildcards and doesn't give you the card. I have a ticket open with Riot right now where I've lost 7 wildcards and 300 shards. They are refunding me these things and told me to not use the deck builder ui to purchase as it is bugged.

2. Something possibly useful to know. Assume the scenario that you have two duplicate champions in hand. If you give one champion in your hand +x/+x and play the other champion, your 'buffed' champion will convert to the alternate card. If your played champion dies the alternate card in your hand converts back to the champion with the buffs completely intact.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone try and clarify for me how it works if you block with a unit and recall it?
I thought it would mean the block still counts and the enemy won't do any damage. Isn't that right?
Do Overwhelm creatures cancel that out? I just won a game cause my opponent blocked my Overwhelm creature but before the attack happened he recalled his own unit yet the blue "blocked" icon didn't show up and I did full damage.

It's because of the overwhelm

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The overhelm hits as if it was blocked by a 0 hp unit, so it does full damage to the nexus. edit: oops, late

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
1. Don't purchase cards in the deck builder ui. Purchase them in the collections 'cards' ui. The deck builder ui sometimes eats shards / wildcards and doesn't give you the card. I have a ticket open with Riot right now where I've lost 7 wildcards and 300 shards. They are refunding me these things and told me to not use the deck builder ui to purchase as it is bugged.

Thanks for the advisory xgal.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Notice of things to be aware of:

2. Something possibly useful to know. Assume the scenario that you have two duplicate champions in hand. If you give one champion in your hand +x/+x and play the other champion, your 'buffed' champion will convert to the alternate card. If your played champion dies the alternate card in your hand converts back to the champion with the buffs completely intact.

1 should probably be in the OT or threadmarked

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Man, vault and expedition both giving me a Fiora. I don't wanna play that! Stupid game.

Anyone wanna trade? Or something.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
umm, I just finished 2 games, 1 lost and 1 won, so 300exp, I saw my vault gain the first 100exp and level up with it, now I won the second one and I saw it again at the starting point before the last game, so it was like I won nothing from my last game, now it leveled up again, and NOW I'm seeing it never got exp again, should I report this?

EDIT: and now I'm seeing the progress I made for the quest was also erased, showed when I finished both game, now it's like that never happened

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
The game is great and you can have almost the most cards only playing and buying with green gems, that's a big plus. Now i have a Noxus/spiders and Shadows islands deck who are pretty decent.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Another thing I like about this game is that I rush-built a deck to complete dailies and it actually wins.

Oof, progress is pretty bugged right now, huh? No exp for anything.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, are we not losing points when losing the game in ranked? I'm rank I (one) and still not lost a point when losing a game...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are we not losing points when losing the game in ranked? I'm rank I (one) and still not lost a point when losing a game...
Idk how Runeterra does it, but most games with a rank system use some sort of algorithm to determine whether or not to raise or lower your rank after a match. It's probably not a cut and dry operation.