• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I made a deck a few days ago for a daily of shadow isles and piltover & zaun which i've been slowly tweeking.
It's still not great, but it's at least amusing drawing about twice as many cards as someone else and always having card advantage only to play the guy that makes you discard your hand to deal 3 damage and draw 3 cards to trigger Jinx.

I pulled a teemo yesterday as well as some of the other mushroom people and slotted him in as well, so I will have to test with him in my deck as well.

which will be annoying when I'm trying to trigger Jinx, though half of the time I'm giving up cards I want with him anyway because of all the cards I draw with my deck lol.

Yeah, Jinx decks trick me into thinking I'm ahead sometimes, especially when there isn't that many discard cards. Though once that guy you mentioned rolls up, its pretty obvious, haha...

EDIT: ^^^ Also on the FPS Cap, here's to hoping you all know we are all doing a lot of reading and listening at the moment. If you have feedback, suggestions or complaints, definitely let us know on the Discord, Reddit , etc... I can report a few things I see from here, but I think those places are more watched by the rest of the team. Thanks for your feedback!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's a nice fast turnaround. I really never noticed it to be honest. Game performs well and doesn't even get my fans running (compared to Artifact which melted my system for some reason).

EDIT: ^^^ Also on the FPS Cap, here's to hoping you all know we are all doing a lot of reading and listening at the moment. If you have feedback, suggestions or complaints, definitely let us know on the Discord, Reddit , etc... I can report a few things I see from here, but I think those places are more watched by the rest of the team. Thanks for your feedback!
Thanks for all the work you guys are doing. Honestly I think the second comment on the reddit post sums up a lot of the changes that people want.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
these devs are beasts
As long as they are not under crunch, this is a very good indication of Riots commitment.

I can't win a game today... I need to get back to deckbuilding, but I want to see what I get tomorrow before I craft anything.

Quick question: Is there a place to see your wild cards? or do they only show up when you go to craft.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
As long as they are not under crunch, this is a very good indication of Riots commitment.

I can't win a game today... I need to get back to deckbuilding, but I want to see what I get tomorrow before I craft anything.

Quick question: Is there a place to see your wild cards? or do they only show up when you go to craft.
I found that you can see your wildcard totals in the wildcard shop lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I'm to lazy to go to those places right now so I will just ask you here :P

can you add one more 3 part tutorial?

one that teaches you the 6 unit limit, the 10 card in hand limit and the fact that you can drag an attack over the others to stack them up to make them attack without having to drag them one by one?

The first two things are things you will likely learn in a game, but it's still frustrating going through the tutorials and not learning those things, and the last thing I only learned because a friend pointed it out when I was complaining that there wasn't a way to just attack with everything.

More people need to know the drag the attacker around to collect other attackers thing.

also.... I would really really love it if there was a story mode eventually made that went through the lore of the champions. I know nothing about league of legends but would love to get to know these characters. I will learn about some of them in the upcoming adventure/rpg games, but I would love to learn about them while playing runeterra. I'm an odd one though, and while I would be willing to buy story packs, I don't know how willing others would be :P.

also thanks for all you do. So far the game has been solid.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha. Of course...

zulux21 From what I've heard and seen in the tutorial, everyone wants more story until they are subjected to a Riot story.
I mostly just want to get to know the characters. I'm not expecting anything great. I mean heck I played through the story mode of all of the magic the gathering yearly releases lol.
Much like it was nice to learn about some of the planswalkers, it would be nice to know about the champs.

I've managed to miss basically everything league related before this lol.
I know Warriors is a league song because I like Imagine Dragons in general.
I know of KDA only because popstars is fun song in Beat Saber
ect :P

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue is the region icon not really standing out much, I haven't been able to mentally associate a lot of spells and minions together. Probably doesn't help that I have zero LoL background so I already don't really know anything about the factions.

Something I'll learn in time anyway but even minions/spells I've used and seen played, if I was asked right now what region it belonged to I would probably be wrong, lol. I made an elusive handbuff deck since that leans Ionia a lot but there were a lot of elusive cards in Piltover that I didn't realize, which made the deck a lot harder to make when that wasn't the region I was pairing it with before.

For example Ghost is 1 mana burst spell to give an ally elusive this round. Stumpworks Map is a 2 mana burst spell to give an ally elusive, I thought the Map and Ghost were both Ionia but Ghost is Ionia and Map is Piltover.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like r/runeterra has kinda fell in love with Cithria, she gets a new thread every once in a while.

tfUKBDN.png

Also glad to hear about the FPS thing, that was a weird decision with a wack reasoning.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I mostly just want to get to know the characters. I'm not expecting anything great. I mean heck I played through the story mode of all of the magic the gathering yearly releases lol.
Much like it was nice to learn about some of the planswalkers, it would be nice to know about the champs.

I've managed to miss basically everything league related before this lol.
I know Warriors is a league song because I like Imagine Dragons in general.
I know of KDA only because popstars is fun song in Beat Saber
ect :P
Yeah, my first experience with Riot games, too. So far, I'm impressed.

And someone here talked about Cithria way before that thread. ERA wins again. lol

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
That's a nice fast turnaround. I really never noticed it to be honest. Game performs well and doesn't even get my fans running (compared to Artifact which melted my system for some reason).

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing. Honestly I think the second comment on the reddit post sums up a lot of the changes that people want.

We are definitely keeping an eye on those. And Thanks! :D

I'm to lazy to go to those places right now so I will just ask you here :P

can you add one more 3 part tutorial?

one that teaches you the 6 unit limit, the 10 card in hand limit and the fact that you can drag an attack over the others to stack them up to make them attack without having to drag them one by one?

The first two things are things you will likely learn in a game, but it's still frustrating going through the tutorials and not learning those things, and the last thing I only learned because a friend pointed it out when I was complaining that there wasn't a way to just attack with everything.

More people need to know the drag the attacker around to collect other attackers thing.

also.... I would really really love it if there was a story mode eventually made that went through the lore of the champions. I know nothing about league of legends but would love to get to know these characters. I will learn about some of them in the upcoming adventure/rpg games, but I would love to learn about them while playing runeterra. I'm an odd one though, and while I would be willing to buy story packs, I don't know how willing others would be :P.

also thanks for all you do. So far the game has been solid.

I'll see if that issue is still on the list; I can't make any promises on what we can add or when, but consider it noted, thanks!

I hope someone who has more time and know-how can make an ERA discord for LoR, I'd love to join one! At the same time, I hope it doesn't kill the OT like it did for League though. Love Discord but its hard to keep up with sometimes : p

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
uuuuuhhhhh did they just stealth change some stuff?

The Demacian Bannerman used to be "play: give all allies 1+1" and now instead of "Play" it is "Allegiance" which is....the weirdest thing and really terrible D:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see if that issue is still on the list; I can't make any promises on what we can add or when, but consider it noted, thanks!

I hope someone who has more time and know-how can make an ERA discord for LoR, I'd love to join one! At the same time, I hope it doesn't kill the OT like it did for League though. Love Discord but its hard to keep up with sometimes : p
Thanks.

As for the discord, I totally could make one if people wanted, but I figure it should be done by someone who is more seriously into this. I'm going to be a casual player, and that's not going to change. I have too much other stuff I need to get done to spend hours a day in runeterra :P

the most I've done on my personal discord for my friends is collect useful information like... from one of the users here... what the oracle is (because it's not covered anywhere)
"The Oracle is the little eye to the left of the field whenever you're attacking. When it's your action, you can mouse over it and it'll show you the results of all of the combat. Whenever an ability is added to the chain of spells, then you can also see how the battlefield will look after those resolve. It's SUPER helpful."

and some useful images like
oebyky2ym4d41.png

tyggeokgnad41.png

combat.jpg

flow-chart.jpg

and links to useful sites like

aka I'm sure there is more resources useful to people to share with other players :P

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
i'm not interested in making a discord channel for discussion - that's what this thread is for
I have to say I agree. Discord is a bit more app-friendly, but whatever...

In fact, manhack (sorry to call you out here, man) has a HS discord that has a LoR subthread--I asked for it last week, so you guys could ask him to be invited to that one and then just hang out in the LoR thread.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
why not just hang out here with all the other people too old for discord 😔

i will say, we need a good way of compiling in game names so we can play friendlies against each other

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
+1 for thread over discord. Cataloging info on discord is hell. But hey, don't let me stop ya'll.

My only issue is the region icon not really standing out much, I haven't been able to mentally associate a lot of spells and minions together. Probably doesn't help that I have zero LoL background so I already don't really know anything about the factions.

Something I'll learn in time anyway but even minions/spells I've used and seen played, if I was asked right now what region it belonged to I would probably be wrong, lol. I made an elusive handbuff deck since that leans Ionia a lot but there were a lot of elusive cards in Piltover that I didn't realize, which made the deck a lot harder to make when that wasn't the region I was pairing it with before.

For example Ghost is 1 mana burst spell to give an ally elusive this round. Stumpworks Map is a 2 mana burst spell to give an ally elusive, I thought the Map and Ghost were both Ionia but Ghost is Ionia and Map is Piltover.
I totally know what you mean. I've been playing League for 8yrs and the associations are still not the strongest. Shadow Isles has the obvious flavor, but both Demacia and Freljord get beefy humanoids, both Noxus and Shadow get spiders, and so on. Incidentally, I love that mechanics aren't trapped into specific regions because it allows for more exploration of each mechanic, but....

Me: "Was Demacia the class that gets the 1m burst +1/+1? Or was that Noxus? Oh, Shadow Isles, the ephemeral region doesn't have the make 2 clones spell, that's Ionia."

It'll just take time to learn them all.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not interested in making a discord channel for discussion - that's what this thread is for
While I can understand this position, Discord is still great to use to voice chat with people while you are playing against them or to do simple pings to see if there is anyone around that wants to play without it feeling like it's clogging up the thread. It also allows you to break things into multiple channels to make it easier to have a history of game updates and a reference channel ect.

At the very least a reference threadmark would be appreciated in here ^^;

that being said I would never personally ping anyone in here to play with because I'm antisocial :P

Yeah if discussion moves to Discord I'm out, I've never clicked with it

I typically just jump between the two for things I care about.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love this game man. I hope an enormous community sticks with it because I will be... I haven't even done constructed at all outside of just using the starter decks to complete the prologue. When I get that vault open I'll finally brew something...

fps patch is great too. Can't wait.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also +1 thread over Discord. I use Discord solely to chat with my friends I know, but I very much prefer OTs here for games discussion like this.

Have my vault at lv. 10 now. Not sure if I'm gonna bother pushing for 13.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Only got a chance to play some of the tutorial a couple nights ago, but the 6 fighter limit has me worried. Can someone alleviate my fear that this limitation might end up hobbling the game's overall complexity?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Only got a chance to play some of the tutorial a couple nights ago, but the 6 fighter limit has me worried. Can someone alleviate my fear that this limitation might end up hobbling the game's overall complexity?
quite frankly I think it adds to the complexity.
having to choose when to kill something you own to summon something else, or let enemies attacks through so you don't free up a slot for them adds strategy and really beyond 6 units is just a pain to keep track of anyway.

I was at first annoyed that there was a limit of 6 especially when I was trying to make a spider army, but overall I like it :P

the complexity from more than than really is just more tedious than fun complexity. I've dealt with 20 some creatures on both sides in magic.... it's a pain to try to figure out how to block and what not.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It adds to the complexity because there are actually times where you would leave an enemy alive so they can't summon more or where you need to kill/recall one of your own to summon a better creature

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Just a quick tip I don't see mentioned often, if you declare a blocker the attacker will not hit the nexus regardless of what happens to your blocker (unless the attacker has overwhelm). I've used this a few times when the attacker declares attackers and also use a fast spell to kill/remove a unit from my board. I just declare that unit as a blocker for whatever I find more useful, for example I set it up as a blocker for a enemy attacker that has Quick Attack and wouldn't have been able to kill it anyways.

That way my unit dies, but the attacker unit does nothing and doesn't hit my nexus.

I play the Demacia / Freljord default deck, but if you play with Ionia for example. You can pull of interesting moves like setting one of your units as a blocker, and then recalling it. You would have effectively blocked the attacker without getting your unit hit.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Also +1 thread over Discord. I use Discord solely to chat with my friends I know, but I very much prefer OTs here for games discussion like this.

Have my vault at lv. 10 now. Not sure if I'm gonna bother pushing for 13.
I hit 11, but it's a grind (4000 exp after 10).

I was just giving a discord option... I prefer the thread, though.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Just a quick tip I don't see mentioned often, if you declare a blocker the attacker will not hit the nexus regardless of what happens to your blocker (unless the attacker has overwhelm). I've used this a few times when the attacker declares attackers and also use a fast spell to kill/remove a unit from my board. I just declare that unit as a blocker for whatever I find more useful, for example I set it up as a blocker for a enemy attacker that has Quick Attack and wouldn't have been able to kill it anyways.

That way my unit dies, but the attacker unit does nothing and doesn't hit my nexus.

I play the Demacia / Freljord default deck, but if you play with Ionia for example. You can pull of interesting moves like setting one of your units as a blocker, and then recalling it. You would have effectively blocked the attacker without getting your unit hit.

Being sneaky in this way is fun, but just keep in mind that it only works if you recall as a Fast spell, since the action happens after blockers are locked in. I think you could pull it off as an attacker using burst, or in response to them using a fast spell. I remember making the mistake of dragging up to block, then recalling, then realizing this and going....Shiiiiiiiiit.

As for the Discord vs. Thread; I personally prefer a thread too, but a Discord channel just for Looking-For-Games could be nice, and would make it easier to chat, jump in and out without much setup, etc. I like discussions on here way more though.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
God ive played for hours tonight.

It's been a good while since I've been grabbed by a game like this.

a few wins on each excursion then I crashed out.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No, with the amount of flood and self-sacrifice options the game has plenty of complexity comes from smart board management. The game also promotes aggression and board swings more than Magic.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to 13 with 2 hours to spare. I hadn't realized you get full bonus XP for both expedition trials. Definitely not skipping trial 2 ever again.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This game is too damn good. Last two games were so close - opponent show boated and gave me a turn to level up my Jinx, then dump out my hand for her rocket.

Next placed two elusives, two stuns, Darius all the way to the right. Last ally knocked them down to 10, and Darius dunked for the W.

What a game.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Got to Vault 13 with Ionian to lvl8, Noxus lvl7, and the rest to 4.
Mostly been playing an Ionian/Freljord Deck, hand/deck buffing then just attacking with Zed, Elusives, and Overwhelms.
Guess, I'll wait till tomorrow's Vault opening and Expedition to try and make a new deck.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This game is too damn good.
I wholeheartedly agree! Riot absolutely killed it. I just wish I had known that this was coming to open beta a little earlier, as I wouldn't have recently got back into HS so hard. Still, it's just unbelievable that there are so many good options for CCGs out right now and that all are fun to play in their own ways.

As for the six creature limit, it works well as there is no summoning sickness... fast creatures that don't tap add quite a bit to the strategy. I've played the game for 8-9 hours and still feel like I'm in the shallow end, tactics-wise.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh one issue that could be fixed is the client doesn't keep me logged in. A little annoying. It keeps me in for a day or two then forgets me again.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

As for the discord, I totally could make one if people wanted, but I figure it should be done by someone who is more seriously into this. I'm going to be a casual player, and that's not going to change. I have too much other stuff I need to get done to spend hours a day in runeterra :P

the most I've done on my personal discord for my friends is collect useful information like... from one of the users here... what the oracle is (because it's not covered anywhere)
"The Oracle is the little eye to the left of the field whenever you're attacking. When it's your action, you can mouse over it and it'll show you the results of all of the combat. Whenever an ability is added to the chain of spells, then you can also see how the battlefield will look after those resolve. It's SUPER helpful."

and some useful images like

tyggeokgnad41.png

This image is missing expedition trial XP rewards. It gives 2000 XP for doing a 7-win trial, so potentially up to 4000 from one expedition token. If you do average, it will be around 2000 XP from one token. With Vault giving one token/week, and you racking up shards for 2 more, this is the burst of XP. Plus you get all the regular XP from playing vs human.

I think we should all invest all shards into expeditions only. Don't waste the shards on anything else.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Was waiting for the vault to open by getting my daily rewards on MTG Arena and GOD!, I started missing playing Runeterra on my first match.

The digital only card games UI is just so smooth, dare I say ... it's my main attraction to these games (also playing vs simic ramp didn't help lol).

Won

Oct 27, 2017
11 rares, 5 epics, 1 Champion for me.

Eh, doesn't exactly set the world on fire.

If I can't even craft a single champion of my choice with a max level vault I would even say it is total crap.

Oct 27, 2017
From a purely mathematical standpoint, expeditions seem most worth it. But there's something to be said for crafting champs you want as well.

I think unless you are dead set on some deck, it makes no sense to craft anything expensive right now.

Expeditions guarantee a level-playfield as far as deck power is concerned, and the rewards for collection-building are amazing.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Still six hours before my level 11 chest unlocks

If I can't even craft a single champion of my choice with a max level vault I would even say it is total crap.
I mean the main vault is level 10, the last three levels are just a little bonus for players who don't know when to stop. You're still guaranteed at least one random Champion.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
So after playing this game for a few days....

I think Riot did it. They actually did it. This is more fun than Hearthstone because Hearthstone to me gets kinda stale and there's so much complexity here that should prevent that. It also does what I was hoping Artifact would do, but it feels like an actual competitor to Magic.

What I love most though are the progression systems in place (with more surely to come). I like how I can battle my friends and I still get PVP awards and whatnot for doing so. That's awesome.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I payed a lot of money but should have me set to build a full collection over the next few months

I regret crafting 3 hecarims , ephemeral feels janky. Super strong at times but mostly too inconsistent

I'm going to hold on to all my wildcards for a month or so. I hope there's is a good frost/nox deck down the track

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Did the vaults pop already? Rip I thought they would reset at 2 am

So after playing this game for a few days....

I think Riot did it. They actually did it. This is more fun than Hearthstone because Hearthstone to me gets kinda stale and there's so much complexity here that should prevent that. It also does what I was hoping Artifact would do, but it feels like an actual competitor to Magic.

What I love most though are the progression systems in place (with more surely to come). I like how I can battle my friends and I still get PVP awards and whatnot for doing so. That's awesome.

Yeah the amount of complexity is fantastic. Its like if you could mix and match Hearthstone classes.

Right now Im rocking a Hecarim/Zed deck(with Karma as a mix up) thats buff heavy and also utilizes the spell that swaps ephemeral that works pretty well. I need to fine tune it a bit as I garner its weaknesses.

But the champion system is very good. Another easy combo that synergizes is Lux/Karma for example.