• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
The only thing I dont like atm is the 6 units limit. I know they need t9 make the board readable on mobile but it restrict a lot of design space. I love my zombies or rats decks in magic

They actually don't explain there is a unit limit in any tutorials. (at least, not that I could see)
I lost my first match because of that very fact, not knowing there even was a limit.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, got a third copy of Zed out of the Epic Capsule.
===
I think the main thing I've got to remember is that the person with the Attack Token can just attack right away, not allowing the other to play a card first.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Gave this a shot yesterday at launch.

My first impressions were that I'm pretty disappointed in how little they actually changed from the beta. The framerate lock discussed earlier in the thread being the most obvious example, as it was reported on day one of the first closed beta test only for Riot to basically completely ignore it. Why even have a closed beta if you're not willing to change things? The pricing of expeditions still being astronomically high is also disappointing to see.

After playing for a bit, I really wish there was some sort of an official rulebook for this. There's a lot of rules that are clearly inspired by MTG but work in subtly different ways that the (forced and incredibly long) tutorial does a really poor job of explaining. For example, when attacking: if the opponent declares blockers, you get an extra window to respond with spells. But if he just lets the attack go through with no blockers, that window doesn't happen for whatever reason. Which is actually a pretty important change from MTG and has caused me to lose a game before I realized how it works.

I'm also really not sold on the economy yet. It doesn't seem super terrible, but when so many of its competitors either shower you with free stuff (Shadowverse, Gwent), give you accessible or even unlimited sealed/draft options (pretty much every game that isn't MTGA), or offer extremely cost effective real money ways of getting a deck (PTCGO), this just seems incredibly oppressive in comparison. Maybe it's slightly better than Hearthstone or MTGA, but the reason I quit those games in the first place is because I just don't have the time to dedicate my life to grinding them. And Hearthstone for all its flaws at least had a reasonably priced Arena mode as a way of building up a collection, which this does not.

The core gameplay is pretty fun though, and the game feels super polished with the visuals and audio. Or it would, if it wasn't locked to 30fps for some reason (and saying they did it this way to have parity between phones and PC makes zero sense when even crappy mobile gacha games give you an fps toggle in the menu these days). I'll probably keep playing for a couple of weeks and see where I end up reward wise.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get past the login launcher..says I don't have permission to access the game. (I registered back on Jan. 2nd.) Is anyone else stuck on that, unable to launch the game? Riot support hasn't responded to me.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Had fun, hard for me to open up a card game to play on PC tho, i think i'll be more into it once the mobile version releases. Prtty eager to understand the game better.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It cannot be understated how awesome it is that you can get full XP benefits when playing with friends. You could essentially make a fresh account with 1 friend or a group and only play amongst yourselves and get full progression. Pretty much got the first 7 rewards of my first region exclusively building dumb decks with a friend.
My first impressions were that I'm pretty disappointed in how little they actually changed from the beta. The framerate lock discussed earlier in the thread being the most obvious example, as it was reported on day one of the first closed beta test only for Riot to basically completely ignore it. Why even have a closed beta if you're not willing to change things? The pricing of expeditions still being astronomically high is also disappointing to see.
Betas are typically for tinkering and testing. Things that came out of this beta include: balance changes, economy changes, server load testing. Something like graphical improvements are not always trivial. Also, remember we are still in open beta and NOT full release. And the devs have stated they will revisit the framerate (no guarantee on improvement though).

After playing for a bit, I really wish there was some sort of an official rulebook for this. There's a lot of rules that are clearly inspired by MTG but work in subtly different ways that the (forced and incredibly long) tutorial does a really poor job of explaining. For example, when attacking: if the opponent declares blockers, you get an extra window to respond with spells. But if he just lets the attack go through with no blockers, that window doesn't happen for whatever reason. Which is actually a pretty important change from MTG and has caused me to lose a game before I realized how it works.
I had the same problem. Here's a handy chart from earlier in the thread.
combat.jpg

I'm also really not sold on the economy yet. It doesn't seem super terrible, but when so many of its competitors either shower you with free stuff (Shadowverse, Gwent), give you accessible or even unlimited sealed/draft options (pretty much every game that isn't MTGA), or offer extremely cost effective real money ways of getting a deck (PTCGO), this just seems incredibly oppressive in comparison. Maybe it's slightly better than Hearthstone or MTGA, but the reason I quit those games in the first place is because I just don't have the time to dedicate my life to grinding them. And Hearthstone for all its flaws at least had a reasonably priced Arena mode as a way of building up a collection, which this does not.
Agreed. High barrier to entry and having to play 3 before you can play arena for fun is suspect. 15 dust per common when it takes 4k for a champion is an absolutely abysmal rate.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I'm going to give it a go today. I've become so jaded with Arena and the horrible monetization of the game (looking at you, Brawlidays) and the current state of EVERYTHING NISSA + KRASIS. I plan on dropping Arena for a while until rotation and getting into LoR.

What's the best option for a new player, collection wise? Are there, like, starter decks I can purchase? And if so, which ones are the best value?

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
Add me up anyone, let's start building collections and testing new decks IllumiNate 1 / NA1

What's the best option for a new player, collection wise? Are there, like, starter decks I can purchase? And if so, which ones are the best value?
The games gives you 3 started decks off the hop, well after you've completed the tutorial

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017

Yup. I ended up just playing Bursts earlier than I would because I wasn't sure when the game would stop giving me the window. Wish it was clearer like MTGA.

Edit: Thanks for the chart, Lumination

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that chart didn't note: If I attack with a challenger and force a block, if my opponent doesn't assign more blockers, they have effectively skipped blockers, not allowing me to respond again. It makes sense, just not obvious.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
My champion reward from my free Expedition run got upgraded to a Wildcard, so that makes me happy.

Still not a fan of the mode.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Man I'm a huge sucker for card games. Would've loved to try Runeterra. But I can't support a company like Riot. I'm not judging others. I'm happy you folks are enjoying a good game (and I know a lot of good people have worked on it). I just can't do it myself.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I had the same problem. Here's a handy chart from earlier in the thread.

I've actually seen that chart before, but at least to me it reads like you always have a spell window after the block phase, instead of only having it if the defender actually blocks.

I've found this reddit post to be much more helpful, as it explains the actual logic behind how priority works, including combat.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got to the 7th game in expedition and proceeded to draw literally 100% of my high mana cards while my opponent had a perfect start and so I lost instantly. Fun.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Tfw you only need to craft a champion for your meta deck but the 6 win expedition didn't give you any champ wildcards and nowhere enough shards.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so good at card games. I'm embarrassed to say it took me 4 tries to understand what to do in that 'Overwhelm' tutorial

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
is this open for everyone?
still says i don't have permission to play or something along that line

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I am complete garbage at card games, but I really want to Invest time into this one. I have been having fun even though I am getting continuously stomped.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just pulled an absolute "believe in the heart of the cards" moment in Expedition and secured a win.
Felt SO good

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
i played 4 for demacia!s in one game in expedition. gl winning thru that lmao

One thing that chart didn't note: If I attack with a challenger and force a block, if my opponent doesn't assign more blockers, they have effectively skipped blockers, not allowing me to respond again. It makes sense, just not obvious.
yeah the battle phase isn't the most obvious but I def like it

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
One of my fav things so far, albeit very minor, is when the card drops on the battlefield the art extends.

You can also see the whole art of each card. To do so click on a card to inspect it, at the bottom there is an icon with an "eye" 👁 , clicking on it will give you the full screen version of the art piece.

Saw this on reddit, lol
gkwzhueg7qc41.png

(Yes that is the deny spell denying a deny spell denying... you get the idea )

Last edited:

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The game is super fun.. the grind is real but not so exhausting like other card games.

I hope they give us more ways to get crystals soon because they are quite rare so far.

Can you turn owned cards into crystals? I checked but didn't see an option for it

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Can you turn owned cards into crystals? I checked but didn't see an option for it
You cannot. One downside to this system compared to hoarding cards for the nerfed dust value.

I've actually seen that chart before, but at least to me it reads like you always have a spell window after the block phase, instead of only having it if the defender actually blocks.

I've found this reddit post to be much more helpful, as it explains the actual logic behind how priority works, including combat.

lol you're right. In fact, it omits the exact point we're talking about, so double egg on face.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but to feel that both the spending limit and the fps lock are some type of Galaxy Brain decisions, read the reasoning in the faq parts of both and it still makes me unconvinced of why they did it.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The game is super fun.. the grind is real but not so exhausting like other card games.

I hope they give us more ways to get crystals soon because they are quite rare so far.

ah good to know.

I kind of figure I will just be using my dust for the exploration thingy if I don't want to spend money on the game lol.

Every Tuesday - Vault Day - you should be at Level 10.

If so, you'll get at least:
1,680 crystals
8 common wild cards
4 rare wild cards
1 expedition token (which is at least 1 champion card)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Every Tuesday - Vault Day - you should be at Level 10.

If so, you'll get at least:
1,680 crystals
8 common wild cards
4 rare wild cards
1 expedition token (which is at least 1 champion card)
ah good to know what the other things were lol. I knew that I would get an expedition token but not what else or what the expedition token would get me if I used it lol.

I'm at 7 right now so ideally i will get there by tuesday.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
ah good to know what the other things were lol. I knew that I would get an expedition token but not what else or what the expedition token would get me if I used it lol.

I'm at 7 right now so ideally i will get there by tuesday.

the token lets you play expedition

if you immediately concede, you'll get a random champion card

if you decide to play, depending on how well you do you'll get 0-3000+ experience, more wild cards, capsules and crystals. if you get 7 wins, you'll also get another expedition token.

Level 10 is the max?

13 is max, but 10 is the goal. if you do each daily quest, you'll be basically at 10 where you get the champion card + best rewards. going beyond that will likely take real time.