• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Malcolm John Rebennack Jr., better known as Dr. John, initially aspired to be a professional songwriter, producer, session musician and sideman, like the utilitarian New Orleanians who forged his creative worldview in the 1950s. He wanted to work behind the scenes, not out front.

But after assuming the persona of Dr. John the Night Tripper in the late 1960s, Rebennack was behind the scenes no more. His idiosyncratic style and sound – the gravelly growl, the sly, deceptively leisurely phrasing, the hipster patois, the hybrid Big Easy piano – embodied both New Orleans and its music.

Rebennack, an icon of the city who remained an active creative force and a voice for his hometown up until he abruptly disappeared from public view 18 months ago, died Thursday of a heart attack after years of declining health, a family member confirmed. He was reportedly 77.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this guy.

But the first Youtube search brought this up, and it's funky as hell.
I suspect I may have found a new hole to fall in to.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Damn what a legend. First heard of him through 'The Last Waltz' movie. Such a great character, charisma and energy. Good Speed Doc!

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Damn what a legend. First heard of him through 'The Last Waltz' movie. Such a great character, charisma and energy. Good Speed Doc!

That part was so great. Raucous and electric, like anything could happen, and then it just comes back to "Sssssssuch a night!"

The Van Morrison part gets going, too.

RIP to a legit legend.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
My parents saw him in concert and said the crew was trying to wrap up the show but him and the band kept playing even after the stage lights were shut off.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I started listening to his music after he appeared a few times on the show Treme. He was amazing.

RIP

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't follow his music much, but knew of him over the years. Pretty sure he was the inspiration behind Dr. Teeth

RIP Dr. John

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. He was SO good. I knew him from my parents listening to him when I was a kid.

But man, there was this one time when I was in my early 20's and had just broken up with my girlfriend and went for a walk. I wound up in this small little bar in my neighborhood. Just me in a crazy bad mood on a Saturday afternoon. None of my friends were with me or anything. I sat down at the bar, got a beer, and just sat there. Then this song come on the juke box and I remember laughing at how awesome it sounded, and it led to my whole day turning around. I wound up playing some pool with some strangers who were sitting nearby and made new friends I still know today.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to bonnaroo in a few days. It's bound to have a shitton of tributes considering the festival is named after one of his songs. Griz is doing the superjam with the theme of tributes to dead artists too, bet he's gonna incorporate his stuff.

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I hung out with him a couple times over the years. He used to go to Thanksgiving at the maple leaf every year (a local music club for those not from Nola) and he was a real treat. Just a fascinating character and pretty accessible.

A buddy of my mother's went to an NA convention in Cali about 15-20 years ago where Dr John was the keynote speaker and he had a copy of it on CD . Like an hour long speech about his history with dope and crime. He had started using around 13 i think. Grew up in a whorehouse and got married around 17 and ran one himself (with his wife) to support his heroin habit. Amazing he lasted as long as he did given how hard he went in his youth. He'll be missed. A true New Orleans icon