• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posting on the gaming side as the gaming side would probably actually be more familiar with him -- he is probably best known in the west for the show that the Turbo Grafx 16 game JJ & Jeff was adapter from (Kato & ken in japan, based off of the comedy show):

Apparently America's Funniest Home Videos was inspired by "Fun with Kato & Ken" and they actually mentioned it on the show once.

I actually like JJ & Jeff quite a bit, owing to it playing like Wonder Boy. RIP.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Man, RIP, I remember seeing him in Gaki No Tsukai. To think this could have been avoided if the government took real measures against the spread of covid.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Man, RIP, I remember seeing him in Gaki No Tsukai. To think this could have been avoided if the government took real measures against the spread of covid.
Yeah, Japan has me real antsy about this. Especially their filmmakers, who are at a higher risk of mingling and contracting it, alongside generally burning the candle at both ends and being unhealthy (Sion Sono is my favourite living filmmaker and had a heart attack last year :/).

Oct 25, 2017
I found a vid from youtube and it's on first page.

So surreal to see Leslie Nielsen took part of in his sitcom back then....

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's really awesome, I'm glad they showed some respect like that. I had no idea AFV took inspiration at all until I saw it mentioned in that twitter thread.
Yeah, here, I pulled up the newest episode that was watchable for free on ABC's site (from 3.15.2020) and skipped to the end:

co16v9d.png

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i went down a google rabbit hole on him some years ago learning that my beloved (and by that i mean hated) JJ and Jeff originated from something completely different

rip. not that celeb covid deaths are more "important" but man really does add gravity to the situation

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
i went down a google rabbit hole on him some years ago learning that my beloved (and by that i mean hated) JJ and Jeff originated from something completely different

rip. not that celeb covid deaths are more "important" but man really does add gravity to the situation

it shows that this virus is getting everywhere and affecting all corners of society.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not to say there is a benefit to famous people dying, but they are more identifiable to average people than anonymous strangers you hear about dying en mass. When a celebrity dies, it puts a face and name to the deaths. It's hard to contextualize 10,000 nameless people dying for some people, where "the guy who made my favorite X" dying directly impacts their world.

I hope people at least realize how nobody is actually safe from this, it can hit anyone.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
From a pure known person perspective I am very scared for this to happen to a bunch of people I adore from Japan.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know the guy because he is the inspiration for the name of the character Shimura Shinpachi from Gintama, and I got curious years ago and saw a few of his clips and the guy was ahead of his time comedy-wise, just hilarious stuff. Sad he is gone.