• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
:(

None of the news sites have picked it up but lots of artists are confirming.

Update: CartoonBrew confirming

bladerunner.0.0.jpg

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's incredibly sad. Truly one of the greatest artists / designers to ever work in science fiction. So much of sci-fi's visual language comes from Syd Mead's work.

RIP to a legend.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Rest In Peace. Incredibly sad.

I have two of his books, amazing and visionary artist. It's a pity that we won't get to enjoy more of his incredible art.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Looks like Boing Boing had an article up but it's gone now.

Anyway, this is truly sad if true. He's easily one of the most important and influential concept/production artists of all time. My spouse and I are both longtime fans of his work.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Gundam designer and probably my favorite sci-fi artist. Real bummed about this. His work has always been incredibly inspirational to me. RIP

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to a true legend of future visions.

So much of sci-fi imagery we take for granted comes from Syd Mead.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, damn. My first reaction is it's crazy more aren't reporting it but I guess someone like him doesn't matter much to the general public.

Truly a legend in the field.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also design one of my favorite gundams:

274400_turnaprototype_259441.jpg

RIP

I love SUMO was originally Turn A Gundam but it was not choosen because the design was too diferent for a Gundam. It was still in the series thanks to be liked enough for the staff and given to Harry Ord to be his mecha unit.

latest

Now I want to watch Blade Runner anyway :(

RIP

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, RIP to a legend.
The artists who worked on Mass Effect were also heavily influenced by him, like many others...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2214591354_891639a321.jpg

Syd Maed's take on sci-fi is still the standard I hold all science fiction to and the fantasy I most want to become reality.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I learned about him through Turn A Gundam (and to be honest, I always had a soft spot for his Turn A designs). RIP man...

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

Somewhere out there, Mead, Giger, and Giraud are still making awesome visuals.

Feb 4, 2018
I knew about his production design work and his concept art but after digging through his credits, I discovered he designed the mask machine featured in this clip from Mission Impossible III. Shit's cool.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my regrets is not going to a seminar he hosted at my college.

Loved his Turn A Gundam work.

RIP