• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So very stoked for this to be coming. I'm not surprised if reviewers, then and now, knock it a bit for the extremely open approach, since it can be open to a fault for comparatively little explanation of many of its systems, but the wealth of worldbuilding, art and music, and playstyle options is tough to match or beat.

Like others, the first time I rented this game I kinda hated it because I'd been expecting something closer in structure to Secret of Mana. Once I revisited it years later without those preconceptions, it absorbed me. I still don't think I've ever had a wider negative-to-positive swing for my impressions of a game.

This and Mario Golf both hitting on Friday is going to make this a great weekend.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Didn't you need a guide to finish certain story lines otherwise you'd get locked out from them? Hell I remember never being able to finish the Jumi quest line and always ending on the stupid hell/underworld arc.
There are a handful of minor quests that require specific mana levels at certain locations, and a few others that you can miss by doing certain other quests before them. I don't think you can be locked out of finishing any of the three big arcs.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
The long and short of it is that the game consists of several smaller storylines, rather than just one grand adventure. Playing through normally, you'll miss some things you might need to do to advance some of these stories. You'll still beat the game, but you'll wonder whatever happened to X or Y person. The second time you play, you'll notice some things you missed that caused those stories to fizzle out or end poorly, and do it differently to advance in different ways.

You only need a guide if you plan to only ever play the game once, and feel that you need to see every inch of every storyline.
I like this sound of this. It sounds a little like Dragon Quest VII. I'll probably give it a shot.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I like this sound of this. It sounds a little like Dragon Quest VII. I'll probably give it a shot.

It is a bit like DQ VII, the difference being that the stories in this game span the entire run and keep popping in and out as you advance, whereas most of the DQ VII stories are contained to their own section, with only a few being revisited later.

I love both games, so I do think you'll enjoy this. At the very least its beautiful to look at and to listen to.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. I've been waiting to play this.

I actually played it way back on PSX, I had borrowed it from a friend. We exchanged games and never got each other's games back, lol.

I really want to get back into it. I remember liking the style and music, and the slightly unusual gameplay. It makes sense, since I like other games that Kawazu was involved in.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Wonder what's the criteria that Square Enix uses to choose what game they will remaster, cause Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana are not in the top tier PSX rpgs and i'm not sure they are big sellers too. We have the likes of Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve and Valkyrie Profile without modern versions, really strange.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
legendofmana.info

Maps & Artifacts - Legend of Mana Info

Legend of Mana walkthrough, guide, recipes, encyclopedias. Fan Site by Craig Erskine.

legendofmana.info

Events - Legend of Mana Info

Legend of Mana walkthrough, guide, recipes, encyclopedias. Fan Site by Craig Erskine.

Follow a guide. It's obtuse, and the map placement system can really throw off the balance and lock you out of content. Seriously, unless you want to play through it multiple times. Totally fine way to play, but I think a lot of people will be upset if they don't follow a guide.
Yep, sounds like a Kawazu game all right.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the review I penned this morning for the PlayStation 4 release.

Less remaster-y than Square's more recent offerings so aside from the backgrounds and OST enhancements, there isn't a whole lot. Unfortunately that means that some of the combat changes I would've loved to see didn't make it in either.

wccftech.com

Legend of Mana Review - SaGa of the Mana Tree

Legend of Mana returns to modern consoles with a new visual identity and the same open-ended narrative that will amaze and confuse newcomers.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My copy is preparing to ship, can't wait for this.

Where did you order it from and for which console?

From what I can gather, it's Digital Only in the US? But like Okami on Switch, you can get the JPN version physically and it has built in English Language options? Is this accurate?

Because for the life of me, I have been unable to see where to procure a physical copy.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what's the criteria that Square Enix uses to choose what game they will remaster, cause Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana are not in the top tier PSX rpgs and i'm not sure they are big sellers too. We have the likes of Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve and Valkyrie Profile without modern versions, really strange.

www.dualshockers.com

Secret of Mana Interview -- Producer Talks Future of the Series, Nintendo Switch, and More

Mana series Producer Masaru Oyamada talks about Secret of Mana, the future of the franchise, and the possibility of supporting the Nintendo Switch.

Azario: The Mana series has been inactive for a few years, but recently we've seen the release of Adventures of Mana and now Secret of Mana remake. When will we see a new entry in the Mana series?

Masaru Oyamada:
Personally, after I took up the role as the Producer of the Mana series it has been our goal to create a new title in the Mana series. With that said, there has been this period of time in which an entry in the Mana series hasn't been released. We've decided to remake the Adventures of Mana and Secret of Mana in order for people who have played the titles to get to know it once again as well as give players who are new to the series an opportunity to experience the game and get everyone up to speed.

Azario: Before picking up the role of Producer for the Mana series, were you a fan of the series? How did you become the franchise's Producer?

Masaru Oyamada
: So I am essentially a part of the generation that played the original game when it first released so it has been an extremely familiar title to me as a consumer. I've loved the series for all my life and then joined Square Enix. Thereafter, Koichi Ishii, the creator of the Mana series, had an idea where he wanted to bring Final Fantasy Adventure or just the Mana franchise to mobile at the time.

That was where everything started, but then Ishii-san left Square, and as a player of the series, I felt it would have been extremely unfortunate for a new entry in the series not to be released in the future. So that drove me to become the producer of the series, where I proposed a remake project which is where we are at right now, with the ultimate vision of hopefully bringing a new title to market.

www.siliconera.com

Rise of Mana Producer Wants To Release The Next Major Mana Game In Two Years

Rise of Mana producer Masaru Oyamada talks about the fifth mainline Mana game and confirms Secret of Mana for Android.

"The Mana series are titles that aren't readily available on current consoles," starts Oyamada. "Especially Seiken Densetsu 3, which was only available on the Super Famicom. Therefore, I'd like to make Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden*, Seiken Densetsu 2*, and Seiken Densetsu 3 as a series that can be properly played, and in two years time I'd like to release Seiken Densetsu 5.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
I played the original without a walkthrough and, yes, I remember being pretty confused most of the time. That said, this has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time and it's one of the only "Collector's Edition" titles I've ever shelled out for, specifically to get the awesome music box that plays the theme song!

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
One of the more unique games I've ever played for better or worse. Definitely wanna pick this up.

My friend's brother has the original as his favorite of all time.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
My PS1 playthrough back then was without guide at all.

I talk to most of everyone & explore anywhere to get to the next story after finishing one.

While it was fun back then, it's quite tedious.

The guide above is good, I don't mind using it because it's not the first time I played it & might go 100% now.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Where did you order it from and for which console?

From what I can gather, it's Digital Only in the US? But like Okami on Switch, you can get the JPN version physically and it has built in English Language options? Is this accurate?

Because for the life of me, I have been unable to see where to procure a physical copy.
Oh yea it's from Playasia. It's an Asia English copy, it's $39.99 atm before tax/shipping. They don't have a JP copy on the site but it probably has English too.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Didn't you need a guide to finish certain story lines otherwise you'd get locked out from them? Hell I remember never being able to finish the Jumi quest line and always ending on the stupid hell/underworld arc.

Nah. You need a guide to get right the map placement that will be relevant in like 2 standalone quests.

I probably finished this game blind so many times, always missing one quest. Eventually i saw one guide in the internet, and this quest was pretty underwhelming tbh.

No matter what you do, the 3 main storylines and all the other minor ones will be available regardless.

The Jumi arc doesn't get locked if you start the Underworld arc. You can do the 3 big arcs at the same time if you want.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
all I remember about this game growing up/when it came out was that people generally said it was not so good, especially coming from the other games. It always looked pretty but I didn't really know much besides the consensus at the time, so I stayed away. It's kind of cool seeing everyone excited about it, I will have to give it a shot myself later on when I get the chance. Nice to see it getting another life with a well done remaster like this!

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious if there's any chance the game might be moddable now due to it being Steam.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Oh yea it's from Playasia. It's an Asia English copy, it's $39.99 atm before tax/shipping. They don't have a JP copy on the site but it probably has English too.

Okay gotcha. That's good to know. Don't usually order from Playasia so I'll have to discuss with the wife our options. Thank you!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

SaGa Frontier and Legend of Mana both had a good deal of their predecessors remastered or remade in recent years, and it's likely that sales of them were good enough to justify doing them to round out the sets, so to speak.

Riding a wave of present good will, in other words.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
skipped it on ps1 because it was getting 7s at the time if i recall correctly and i had to make tough calls back then on what games to play. will definitely pick it up this time around but probably never finish it

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I have to determine where I should buy it. On my ps5 and hope it had 4k/hdr which can take advantage of my new oled, switch for portability, or my pc(2080s) for a safe purchase

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Do you really need a walkthrough to play this game like the IGN review says? Or is that just exaggeration?
I would at least use an artifact placement guide. If I am remembering right you need to get certain mana levels in certain areas to trigger quests, recruit specific monsters or get some scenes to appear and the placement of areas on the map to accomplish this is in no way an intuitive process.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

I think it has to do with whether members of the original creative staff are still around to either drive the project or at least give their blessing to it. The SaGa remakes are likely due to Kawazu, and he produced Legend of Mana as well. FFIV 3D and After Years were overseen by Tokita. FF7:R had Kitase and Nomura.

The key people on Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Valkyrie Profile all left Square. In the case of Parasite Eve, they did try The Third Birthday, which was very poorly received.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
www.dualshockers.com

Secret of Mana Interview -- Producer Talks Future of the Series, Nintendo Switch, and More

Mana series Producer Masaru Oyamada talks about Secret of Mana, the future of the franchise, and the possibility of supporting the Nintendo Switch.

Azario: The Mana series has been inactive for a few years, but recently we've seen the release of Adventures of Mana and now Secret of Mana remake. When will we see a new entry in the Mana series?

Masaru Oyamada:
Personally, after I took up the role as the Producer of the Mana series it has been our goal to create a new title in the Mana series. With that said, there has been this period of time in which an entry in the Mana series hasn't been released. We've decided to remake the Adventures of Mana and Secret of Mana in order for people who have played the titles to get to know it once again as well as give players who are new to the series an opportunity to experience the game and get everyone up to speed.

Azario: Before picking up the role of Producer for the Mana series, were you a fan of the series? How did you become the franchise's Producer?

Masaru Oyamada
: So I am essentially a part of the generation that played the original game when it first released so it has been an extremely familiar title to me as a consumer. I've loved the series for all my life and then joined Square Enix. Thereafter, Koichi Ishii, the creator of the Mana series, had an idea where he wanted to bring Final Fantasy Adventure or just the Mana franchise to mobile at the time.

That was where everything started, but then Ishii-san left Square, and as a player of the series, I felt it would have been extremely unfortunate for a new entry in the series not to be released in the future. So that drove me to become the producer of the series, where I proposed a remake project which is where we are at right now, with the ultimate vision of hopefully bringing a new title to market.

www.siliconera.com

Rise of Mana Producer Wants To Release The Next Major Mana Game In Two Years

Rise of Mana producer Masaru Oyamada talks about the fifth mainline Mana game and confirms Secret of Mana for Android.

"The Mana series are titles that aren't readily available on current consoles," starts Oyamada. "Especially Seiken Densetsu 3, which was only available on the Super Famicom. Therefore, I'd like to make Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden*, Seiken Densetsu 2*, and Seiken Densetsu 3 as a series that can be properly played, and in two years time I'd like to release Seiken Densetsu 5.
SaGa Frontier and Legend of Mana both had a good deal of their predecessors remastered or remade in recent years, and it's likely that sales of them were good enough to justify doing them to round out the sets, so to speak.

Riding a wave of present good will, in other words.
I think it has to do with whether members of the original creative staff are still around to either drive the project or at least give their blessing to it. The SaGa remakes are likely due to Kawazu, and he produced Legend of Mana as well. FFIV 3D and After Years were overseen by Tokita. FF7:R had Kitase and Nomura.

The key people on Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Valkyrie Profile all left Square. In the case of Parasite Eve, they did try The Third Birthday, which was very poorly received.

Basically these series are still alive with key people still working on them, makes sense.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the review I penned this morning for the PlayStation 4 release.

Less remaster-y than Square's more recent offerings so aside from the backgrounds and OST enhancements, there isn't a whole lot. Unfortunately that means that some of the combat changes I would've loved to see didn't make it in either.

wccftech.com

Legend of Mana Review - SaGa of the Mana Tree

Legend of Mana returns to modern consoles with a new visual identity and the same open-ended narrative that will amaze and confuse newcomers.

This does suck. Honest, the game just needs a little bit of tweaking to be decent. There is actually a great romhack that does a lot of little changes that make the combat feel so much better. Just making enemies more aggressive would be a huge boon for the encounters.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Absolutely beautiful game, but I remember getting my game into a state where I couldn't beat it. Like, the tiles I placed on the board were in such an order where I couldn't make the last couple of areas spawn. Is that possible, or was I just missing something 23ish years ago?

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely beautiful game, but I remember getting my game into a state where I couldn't beat it. Like, the tiles I placed on the board were in such an order where I couldn't make the last couple of areas spawn. Is that possible, or was I just missing something 23ish years ago?

There are no game breaking bugs like that as far as I know. There is just a lot of talking to NPCs in very specific order at times.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good game, but booooooy do you need guide after guide to fully understand and master the mechanics of this game. Even growing shit (because of the Mana placements) needs a guide for optimization.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

They have people in positions of power inside Square Enix who's championing the Mana series, but they don't have anyone who's championing Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, or Valkyrie Profile, so they're pretty much dead and dust to the wind in Square Enix' world despite all the fans clamoring for some sort of re-release.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Just preordered on Switch I feel it's the perfect game for it to play some here and there on it. Can't wait!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I remember renting this as a kid a couple times and beating it without a guide. I liked it a lot, but now I'm wondering if that was just me being a persistent kid and maybe I won't like it as much now unless I follow a guide, which is a bit of a turn-off.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Reviews seems in line with how I remembered the game lol. I can't wait to play this LoM, grew up playing this on PS1.