• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
01Ds2Lp.gif

Platforms: PS4, Switch, PC
Supported Languages: Japanese, French, German, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, English
Supported Players: 2 (Yes, there is co-op!)
Release Date: June 24th, 2021

I would like to begin with giving some special thanks to Dice for the amazing Photoshop work on the headers. Amazing job!

WkRyJ5V.png

sv9Bmvzmrnq8eJMgMZHezA-1200-80.jpg

Legend of Mana is the fourth major game in the Seiken Densetsu (Legend of the Holy Sword) series, localized as Something of Mana in the west. The distinction is important, as each previous Densetsu game was numbered, meaning Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure), Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana), and Seiken Densetsu 3 (Trials of Mana) were all mainline entries. Legend of Mana had the same name in both territories, effectively making it a spinoff. The gameplay and overall vibe are clearly that of a Densetsu game, but... what's different?

1IXI88D.png

0.png.jpg

Perhaps the most "spinoff-y" thing about this game is the world design. Rather than have a linear structure, or even an open world, the game gives you items called "artifacts" that you can place anywhere on the world map. These artifacts bloom into caves, towns, beaches, Hell analogues, ancient towers and more. The further away you place them from your home, the stronger the enemies end up being. Other than that, it doesn't matter where you place the artifacts, as the areas will always be the same regardless of their positions on the map.

ujGRaeZ.png

The storytelling in this game is largely episodic, meaning that rather than one main story you follow from beginning to end, there are several smaller chapters you can experience in just about any order you want. There's three different plots, and you don't have to finish one before starting the other. This means you can juggle storylines if you wish. In addition to the main plots, there's several sidequests to do, which are structured the same way as the main story - enter an area, complete the "episode," and then leave. The three major stories are...

IlfWN8W.png

3-082.png

The Jumi are a dying race of people who have external jewel hearts which are considered valuable. The Jumi have long been a persecuted people, and many magic characters in this game refer to them as "dirt" as a pejorative on their jewel cores. This branch focuses on Elazul, a taciturn, standoffish, yet fiercely loyal knight, and Pearl, who Elazul is sworn to protect. These two are among the few survivors of the Jumi. Each Jumi's jewel core corresponds to a real life gem, with Elazul's being the Lapis Lazuli, Pearl's being, well, pretty obvious, and the rest - well, you'll have to figure out who the rest of the surviving Jumi are yourself. The jewel thief Sandra is a constant threat to these people, and serves as a major antagonist in this arc. Especially so since stealing a Jumi's jewel core results in their death.

F0xDizL.png

13-007.png

This story arc focuses on Larc and Sierra—brother and sister dragoons who serve different dragon masters and fight on opposite sides of the same war for power. Larc serves the dragon Drakonis, who wants to kill the other three dragons so that he can rule the world. Sierra, a dragoon for Vadise the White Dragon, wants to stop Drakonis without hurting her brother Larc. The player is swept up into the dragoon's war and ends up helping both Larc and Sierra at various points in this story. Who wins the war? Who are the other dragons? You'll have to play to find out.

WgfF8qj.png

23-194.png

The third arc is the complicated love story of four childhood friends: Matilda, Irwin, Daena and Escad. Irwin is a half-demon who is angry that society prevents him from a relationship with the holy leader Matilda, and seeks to destroy the world in retribution. Escad seeks to destroy Irwin, while Daena tries to act as a mediator between all parties - and keep Matilda away from Irwin. The conflict eventually escalates into a war between humans and faeries. The player's actions determine the fate of several of these characters. As an aside, Escad is pretty clearly used as a base for Sword of Mana's lead character.

34-char002.png

237a51ed490009a5c596f1d838cd396e.jpg

I can't be the only one who sees that... right?

8BVQMmf.gif

em.png

The remaster introduces us to a reorchestrated soundtrack, and completely redone HD backgrounds. Marvel at one of the best OSTs ever created, and enjoy higher resolution versions of what was already one of the most gorgeous worlds in video games. Also, see the Mario watermark in that image? That means it's coming to Switch, and you can play it in bed now. I wasn't lazy and didn't want to remove the watermark, what are you talking about

Here's some of the (original, not reorchestrated) music, which, to this day, remains some of my favorite music in games. The whimsy, wanderlust, and vigor in these tracks has stuck with me since I first played it as a wee lad.

Earth Painting

The Wind Sings of a Journey

Pain the Universe

I hope players old and new alike enjoy experiencing this fantastic game in 2021!

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be a huge nostalgia trip for me. I remember having the strategy guide as a kid because the whole world building concept confused me.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I am slightly curious about is whether S-E including the little bonuses you could get for having other S-E title saves (like a chocobo pet for FF VIII and a sword for SaGa Frontier 2) in the remaster? Not a big deal, already preordered, but it would be cool if they included it.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
Do we happen to know if they just ended up cutting some of the stuff like the battle arena and extra areas that required certain save files being on your memory card?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Love the body of the post. Enthusiasm like that always makes me curious about what I'm missing out on.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn near screamed when this was announced. One of my small gaming dreams come true. I felt like I was playing an old storybook.
Can't wait

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Thanks for the thread OP! I am going to wait for a sale on this one. That'll give me enough time to knock down some of my backlog of JRPGs.

Also, does this tie in anyway to Secret of Mana and/or Seiken Densetsu 3.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Do we happen to know if they just ended up cutting some of the stuff like the battle arena and extra areas that required certain save files being on your memory card?

Reviews have been rather pitiful in regards to shedding light on any of these kind of details. Like... they are just rushing these reviews out with barely any info.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
gonna be extremely hard to put this off while I play golf but since there is an online scene for golf I wanna get in at launch. Have fun with this AMAZING game everyone

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for making an OT. I was wondering if anyone was going to do one. I'll post updates when I start playing through the game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the thread OP! I am going to wait for a sale on this one. That'll give me enough time to knock down some of my backlog of JRPGs.

Also, does this tie in anyway to Secret of Mana and/or Seiken Densetsu 3.

Nope! Easter eggs visuals, a big Mana Tree at the heart of everything, but nothing meaningful or connected plot elements.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Posting in excitement :)
I owned and played Legend of Mana at release but only put a few hours into it so I am ready to experience this!

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Can't freaking wait. This game was a big deal for my sister and I. Freaking fantastic despite it's flaws.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
This better be for PC...

Also, wow, right for the Steam Summer Sale.

Wonder if I should get it for the Switch?

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
This is up in the Aus eshop. Very tempting, though way too much in my back log to drop $45 ausd on this atm.
Will pick it up eventually though and do my part :)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i remember the original announcement trailer showing that they were reincorporating the pocketstation features

is there any word on if they've changed the names of items and places to come in line with the standardized localization names like Valsena instead of Forsena and Beiser instead of Vizel?

anyway stan the Promise album!!

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Pre ordered on PSN and have a physical copy coming from Play Asia.. Still have a PS1 physical copy with the guide, and a digital PSOne classic on the vita.

Give me more Mana Square!

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
is there any word on if they've changed the names of items and places to come in line with the standardized localization names like Valsena instead of Forsena and Beiser instead of Vizel?
Yes, they changed those names.

NeuAn5n.jpg

One of the reviews also mentions changes to the script, but I don't know the extent of those.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
this is out already eh?
I will have to get it eventually.
I'm working through the secret of mana ps4 remake, and then I will move to the switch mana collection to play Trials of mana since the remake of the removed multiplayer and thus is useless to me to play with my SO, and then I see this one actually kept multiplayer in, so I can come back to play this one once I finish that. Ideally they cleaned up the MP a bit from the original release of this game.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

...Should I get it for PC or Switch?

Ugh, I feel like it's not meant to be played on a PC... which, I mean, it technically wasn't when it was released, but I feel like Switch is more traditional, yeah?

That is up to you, young bab Yoda. Listen to your heart. You'll find the answer.

Though I'm getting it on PC. It's all I pretty much play on nowadays.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
CRT filter?

Sorry, I know jack-shit about tech stuff.

Hell, knowing me, you could be referring to something that everyone and their dog knows about, but I wouldn't.

😭😭

There are program that apply shaders to the game to make them look like they are being displayed on old CRT tvs. Older games in particular look really good because so much of their aesthetic was tied to being displayed on those older tvs. Newer pixel art games also look really good with these shaders.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
There are program that apply shaders to the game to make them look like they are being displayed on old CRT tvs. Older games in particular look really good because so much of their aesthetic was tied to being displayed on those older tvs. Newer pixel art games also look really good with these shaders.
Oh noice.

Must be a PC thing.

Thanks.