• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
In my opinion Korra is a flawed but really fun follow up to Avatar. People hate on it to much and it's actually pretty good in some spots. Season 3 is the best. Also I think the Bending in Korra is superior to the original series, don't @ me. Anyway stop playing into tribalism. Like both shows.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Those are good? I'm super leery of Avatar comics after TLA's.
They're fairly decent. Nothing amazing, but I wouldn't say they're terrible. I never read the ATLA ones so I can't compare. Turf Wars main plot isn't all that, but it has some really great subplots like Korra X Asami. Ruins of Empire is quite good if you're OK with redemption arcs for past villains.

Sep 14, 2019
Started the second season.

I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't catch my attention.

I know people say it's a shitty season, but I can't pinpoint what it is that it makes it blah.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Started the second season.

I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't catch my attention.

I know people say it's a shitty season, but I can't pinpoint what it is that it makes it blah.
Worse art and a series of minor retcons to character development that happened in its first, and originally intended as only, season that make all of the characters, but Korra especially, seem inconsistent.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love this show. TLA is better, and there is so much about Korra that disappoints me, but oh man when it's firing on all cylinders I just love it so much. I still find myself thinking about random hype moments from the show out of the blue, like that time Kuvira started moving so fast they had to draw her hands as squiggles, or when Korra would go Avatar State and she'd get swole as FUCK.

tumblr_ns0r8cJHhd1sfbu0eo8_540.gif

When Korra decides to fire on all cylinders, it easily surpasses TLA for me personally, it goes absolutely all out and it's absolutely insane. The problem, it does it so little and the overall quality lacks so much. But I mostly blame Nickelodeon for this one by not giving them the proper time, budget and clarity. The constant issues when originally watching this still hurts so much :(

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
I never got the hate for this. Sure, it was uneven and not as good as the Last Airbender, but at it's best it's actually pretty close. I remember really liking season three.

That's the problem. ATLA is one of the greatest cartoon ever released. Expectations were very high and they kind of shit the bed with Korra.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Season 2 has an amazing premise and backstory *on paper* that is told in such a shitty way it's less than the sum of its parts. Season 3 is just flat out great, and to me feels like the only time the writers felt comfortable with what they created.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Book 3 is so astonishingly goddamned good that I'm more than willing to set aside every other misstep that the show ever made for it.
None of the other books comes close to it (apart from some of Book 4's earlier character stuff), but that's not the worst crime in the world- very little does.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That's the problem. ATLA is one of the greatest cartoon ever released. Expectations were very high and they kind of shit the bed with Korra.

Shit the bed implies that it was bad, which it really wasn't. Deeming every work by a creator or creative team an absolute failure because it isn't as good as their best work is an absurd lind of reasoning.

Besides, when Korra is at it's best it's even fairly close to TLA. It just has a few real dips in quality, especially around season 2, and is by design a less cohesive whole compared to its predecessor.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
After having enjoyed Season 1 quite a bit (minus the very finale), I had to ragequit halfway through the Avatar Wan 2-parter because they were retconning so much shit that ATLA firmly established in its 3 books that I couldn't stomach any more. I went back to it eventually and largely enjoyed Seasons 3 and 4-.

Season 4 had a major problem though in its
portrayal of abuse and how Korra had to... go back to her abuser who brought her to that state in the first place? And the guy legit tells her it's her fault she's like that! My jaw dropped watching that scene what the fuck were they thinking

Overall I'd say Korra was... okay? It's no TLA, not even close, but it's quite good if you adjust your expectations accordingly.

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Shit the bed implies that it was bad, which it really wasn't. Deeming every work by a creator or creative team an absolute failure because it isn't as good as their best work is an absurd lind of reasoning.

Besides, when Korra is at it's best it's even fairly close to TLA. It just has a few real dips in quality, especially around season 2, and is by design a less cohesive whole compared to its predecessor.

Shit the bed implied they failed to meet expectations. People expected something great and they got something meh. That's what I call shitting the bed.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the creators needed to get away from it. Avatar has such an interesting universe I would have been up for watching avatar of the past or the next avatar of the cycle.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This show just makes me wish Nickelodeon had let the creators do their thing and have a 4 season series planned from the beginning, we could have gotten such a good fucking show.

Not that Korra is awful or anything, well ok season 2 mostly is, but S1's ending was weak. S3 and 4 were pretty damn good though, Zaheer is the best.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Korra isn't as tight as Aang, but I enjoyed a lot the series.
People just love to hate it so much lol

Anyway, for me:

TLA3 = K3 > TLA2 = K1 > TLA1 = K4 >>> K2

The ending of the first season was kinda disappointing, because every thread got resolved, but that´s on Nickelodeon for not renewing for more seasons sooner.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was so annoying how they kept trying to find excuses to depower Korra. I don't think the writers ever figured out how to make her interesting.

I did like the show overall but it's not close at all to ATLA. Except season 4, which I thought was just plain awful.

Jun 22, 2019
This is a lowkey amazing OT.

I may rewatch S3 primarily for the fight scenes. I don't think I can tolerate sitting through any of the other seasons though, but maybe I'll give it a shot while multitasking.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
doing another rewatch and season one starts off really strong no? like, the first 3 eps. particularly ep 3 which hit me in all the right ways. "The Revelation" scene is great with Korra fighting that dude with a wrench and unleashing all the steam as cover to get Bolin out. good shit. the music is also pretty great

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I rewatched this for the first time about a week ago and purposefully skipped Book 2. It made the show SO MUCH BETTER. That season is such a blemish and burden on this show. I don't love season 4, either, but it doesn't actively hurt the rest of the show like 2 does.

Seasons 1 and 3 are pretty fucking incredible, though.

The final scene with Noatok and Tarlok... damn.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
TLA2 > TLA 3 > TLA 1 > Korra 2 (Wan arch) > Korra 3 >> Korra 4 > Korra 1 >>>>>>> Korra 2 (EVERYTHING else)...

Just watched both with my 8 year old daughter a few months ago. She LOVED TLA. Was meh on Korra...mostly because of Korra. Thought she was really unlikeable for half the series and just shouted and argued and yelled at everyone for most of the series (or would immediately rely on avatar state to solve her problems). And Mako is seriously the most dull blah character in either series.

I think the ideas in Korra for each season's arch are great...my biggest problem is with the execution. And season two with the exception of "Wan" episodes, is really terrible on all levels.

Last edited:

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
season 1 was okay but they just kind of gave up on a coherent plot, themes, character arcs etc in the back half. Just a bunch of action scenes happening and infodumping without any of the nuance of the original series.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
season 1 was okay but they just kind of gave up on a coherent plot, themes, character arcs etc in the back half.
This was a show that was supposed to have only one season when they gave it a season 2 and then midway through that announced TWO more seasons. Nickelodeon absolutely mishandled this show's production.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I watched through ATLA with my son and thought it was amazing. However, I have heard that many people don't like Korra as much. What happened that made it so divisive in the audience? Where the original creators not involved in this followup or what?
It's a great show plagued by the fact each season was written as though it was the end because they never really knew if they were renewed until the last moment. Originally was planned as one season only. Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are good to great. Season 2 is all over the place. Series had higher highs and lower lows than Last Air Bender. Air Bender Purists don't like some of the added/altered lore in Korra. Final season suffered from mid project budget cuts. I liked the show a lot, flaws and all.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
man just finishede season 1
and lord i still hate and despise how amon and the equalists got resolved, just messy and poor writing, they had a GOAT cartoon season on their hands and they fumbled it on the finish line
amon really should have been one of the greatest villains eever
'
amon being a bender suddenly makes the entire system based on decades od resentment and class politics collapse, man fuck that foreverrrrrr, he and his brother killing themselves was just so dissapointingr

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
This was a show that was supposed to have only one season when they gave it a season 2 and then midway through that announced TWO more seasons. Nickelodeon absolutely mishandled this show's production.

still not an excuse how the writing fell off, should have still been able to handle ti coherently
they didn't know how to solve the issue amon and the equalists in an engaging way , i am still disappointed in how it played out

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
No Canada, eh. I have watched TLA several times, but only watched Korra once, I'm due for a rewatch. I remember the third season being the best.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man episode 1 is such a strong start for the series goddamn. It's gorgeous and immediately establishes the world in a much more natural way than the first episode of ATLA.

I mean the back half of season 1 lol
No they didn't though? It became less character driven as they needed to wrap things up but they didn't outright given up on the writing.
still not an excuse how the writing fell off, should have still been able to handle ti coherently
they didn't know how to solve the issue amon and the equalists in an engaging way , i am still disappointed in how it played out
The thing with Amon is that it was absolutely an example of what I can't stand about theory culture. The explanation given made sense given what was set up in the series prior.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
I watched through ATLA with my son and thought it was amazing. However, I have heard that many people don't like Korra as much. What happened that made it so divisive in the audience? Where the original creators not involved in this followup or what?

2/3 of the team were, head writer of aang, aaron erhaz wasn't involved tho ,and it suffered
LoK > Avatar
Korra > Aang

Can't imagine why people would dislike her.

yal gotta let it go, the new team avatar just wasn't written as well as the of team, the writing team missed aaron erhaz work on it, he brought an extra heart and natural chemistry that was missing from legend of korra
Did you enjoy the Avatar Gaang interactions and how natural and fun it was to see them as friends?

Yeah, don't expect that with Korra's crew. Long term planning also got screwed due to Nickoldean so each season is for the most part self-contained - but even then silo'd decisions made (season 1 ending and all of s2) are...ugh. Just ugh. Season 3 is the best of Korra and the one I enjoyed the most. I just pretend s2 and s4 don't exist tbh.

meh only 2/3 of the original team made it back for lok, the guy who did a lot of character work and relationship stuff didn't return for lok, and it was. a noticeable,

aaron erhaz was the head writer of legend of aang , he didn't come back for legend of korra and the loss was felt

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
just gonna watch season 1 and 3
i loathed season 2 so much with memory nonsense

and didn't enjoy kuvira, found her exceptionally bored and uniteresting
kuvira really would have worked better if she showed up in season 1 and 2, was a frenemy to the gang and leaves , felt the stakes would be better, i just couldn't care about her

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No they didn't though? It became less character driven as they needed to wrap things up but they didn't outright given up on the writing.

The thing with Amon is that it was absolutely an example of what I can't stand about theory culture. The explanation given made sense given what was set up in the series prior.

It doesn't align with the themes of the season. None of the problems that lead to Anti Bender resentment are solved and none of the questions relating to it are answered It ends up being another shallow child abuse/revenge story: a writing crutch Avatar already leaned on a lot and will lean on even more going forward in this series.

It pivots away from spirituality even though that was one of the things Korra was looking for clarity on. They try to tie her learning Airbending/connecting with Aang to it anyway leading to a couple of developments that come out of nowhere. Korra ends up having to learn a lot of the same lessons in S2 that she should have learned here, making this season feel like wasted time.

It "makes sense" but it isn't satisfying as a conclusion. Throw in a dreadful love triangle plot that doesn't even end in a mature or nuanced way and you have a bad ending. The season had a good start, but a mostly bad second half. It asks a lot of complex questions about the Avatar world but doesn't have a good answer for any of it. A lot of opportunities for Korra to grow are glossed over.

Season 1 of Avatar has it's own missteps but everyone comes out of it stronger and more mature. Korra has new powers by the end of S1, but it doesn't feel earned.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't align with the themes of the season. None of the problems that lead to Anti Bender resentment are solved and none of the questions relating to it are answered It ends up being another shallow child abuse/revenge story: a writing crutch Avatar already leaned on a lot and will lean on even more going forward in this series.
The thing about the anti bending movement is that it didn't really make sense as something people would feel genuinely oppressed about without something like the equalists coming in and taking advantage of the situation where the police wasn't being as aggressive with bending gangs as they should have been.

It pivots away from spirituality even though that was one of the things Korra was looking for clarity on. They try to tie her learning Airbending/connecting with Aang to it anyway leading to a couple of developments that come out of nowhere. Korra ends up having to learn a lot of the same lessons in S2 that she should have learned here, making this season feel like wasted time.
And again S2 is a huge outlier in the context of this series specifically because the had no intention of making it in the first place and winged it to expand on the lore. Arguably S2 is the least character driven season in avatar history and that's exemplified by the most praised episode being the one where they do NOTHING but explain the lore behind the first avatar. I'm rewatching the season literally as I type this post so I'll re-access how it handles the spirituality vs. my own memory of it. Cause these first few episodes are bangers.

It "makes sense" but it isn't satisfying as a conclusion. Throw in a dreadful love triangle plot that doesn't even end in a mature or nuanced way and you have a bad ending. The season had a good start, but a mostly bad second half. It asks a lot of complex questions about the Avatar world but doesn't have a good answer for any of it. A lot of opportunities for Korra to grow are glossed over.
When has avatar ever handled a love triangle or even the subject of romance with maturity or nuance? It's a show for kids lmao. And again I don't think it really questions the status quo of the avatar world at all because the people presenting the benders as oppressors are literal terrorists run by a bender who had a tragically abusive childhood and decided to take that out on people who can use bending.

My main issue with Korra is that it always felt weird that it takes place only 100 years post ATLA. They built a HUGE NY tier city in that time and quickly established so many different trends, and gangs, and a general steampunk aesthetic that even with bending as a factor feels so much more advanced than the original world of avatar where they had JUST discovered flight and lightning bending was limited to the royal family. On second thought people from the year 1900 would probably think the same.

Last edited:

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the anti bending movement is that it didn't really make sense as something people would feel genuinely oppressed about without something like the equalists coming in and taking advantage of the situation where the police wasn't being as aggressive with bending gangs as they should have been.

And again S2 is a huge outlier in the context of this series specifically because the had no intention of making it in the first place and winged it to expand on the lore. Arguably S2 is the least character driven season in avatar history and that's exemplified by the most praised episode being the one where they do NOTHING but explain the lore behind the first avatar. I'm rewatching the season literally as I type this post so I'll re-access how it handles the spirituality vs. my own memory of it. Cause these first few episodes are bangers.

When has avatar ever handled a love triangle or even the subject of romance with maturity or nuance? It's a show for kids lmao. And again I don't think it really questions the status quo of the avatar world at all because the people presenting the benders as oppressors are literal terrorists run by a bender who had a tragically abusive childhood and decided to take that out on people who can use bending.

That's the thing tho, for Amon's movement to catch any wind at all there had to have been some merit in what he was saying, but the leading cast of all benders aren't forced to grapple with this power imbalance in a serious way. They just beat him down and cut off the head of the movement. Korra is able to basically reverse the damage Amon has done to the people and the city, but what's changing in the status quo of the city to keep this from happening again? We don't get some answers to this until later parts of the series.

I'm rewatching S2 right now as well and I'll have more to say on that later but that still doesn't change the fact that season 1 doesn't do a good job developing it's main character.

Whatever you think of the way Avatar handles it's romantic subplot, I don't think there's really a reason for the second series with an older cast to be even more obnoxious with it.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I mean, Korra is the polar opposite of Aang, intentionally, so I wouldn't let a dislike of him dissuade you from watching Legend of Korra. She's a way more interesting character, IMO.

Most of the hate that LoK receives seems predicated on two things: (1) expectations set by AtLA, when the two shows have very different strengths and weaknesses, and (2) the consequences of Nickelodeon's constant meddling.

Personally, I prefer LoK to AtLA. Yeah, it'd have seriously benefited from having twice as many episodes, which AtLA used to flesh out the Gaang in ways that LoK simply couldn't, but LoK's strengths and themes are overall still more appealing to me.

People can complain all day about the handling of some threads, like Amon's endgame, but AtLA's Zhao and Ozai were as generic as it gets.

For all its occasional flaws and missteps, LoK's villains were 1,000 times more compelling and nuanced. (If I had a major criticism of LoK's S1, rather than anything Amon-related, it'd be that the Equalists disappear after Amon's death, rather than the show grappling with the social unrest that caused them.)

Agreed. I love this show - a lot more then the last airbender. Excited to rewatch it!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's the thing tho, for Amon's movement to catch any wind at all there had to have been some merit in what he was saying, but the leading cast of all benders aren't forced to grapple with this power imbalance in a serious way. They just beat him down and cut off the head of the movement. Korra is able to basically reverse the damage Amon has done to the people and the city, but what's changing in the status quo of the city to keep this from happening again? We don't get some answers to this until later parts of the series.
I mean people can be incredibly stupid and any sort of movement can catch on if enough people latch onto it even if there's ZERO merit.

Remember we live in the year 2020 where there's an active movement against the simple act of wearing a mask because those people feel oppressed by being forced to wear masks and that that plotline would get thrown out in the editing room for being poorly written or too unrealistic. (._. )

The thing about the status quo is that people are otherwise living their lives normally outside of the bending gangs in a relatively realistic scenario where gangs filled with this dude wouldn't succeed vs. the gangs filled with people who can literally control the elements. And thus gang activity got severe enough, without crippling the city at least, that this:

"Hey, even notice that all the wars were fought mainly by benders? Hey, ever notice that the gangs are all benders? Hey, ever notice that the police force is all benders, HEY, ever notice that our government is comprised of benders?! They're the reason for ALL of your problems. "

Caught on for a minority of people.

Bending essentially became a crutch for a group of people who had a rough time in Republic City and needed a boogeyman even if they weren't personally affected but had a rough time anyway. It won't ever get that bad again because the equalizing movement iirc was a vocal minority that had secret meetings instead of a mainstream audience until things escalated in S1.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Whatever you think of the way Avatar handles it's romantic subplot, I don't think there's really a reason for the second series with an older cast to be even more obnoxious with it.

They're older but teenagers are still obnoxious, and the triangle went like many teenage triangles do. Never really felt like a big deal to me. They fucked up, they learned, they eventually grew.

But I'm weird in that I like those kind of character flaws and progressions slips. Rather than it just being a one time fuck up and learn type progression.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean people can be incredibly stupid and any sort of movement can catch on if enough people latch onto it even if there's ZERO merit.

Remember we live in the year 2020 where there's an active movement against the simple act of wearing a mask because those people feel oppressed by being forced to wear masks and that that plotline would get thrown out in the editing room for being poorly written or too unrealistic. (._. )

The thing about the status quo is that people are otherwise living their lives normally outside of the bending gangs in a relatively realistic scenario where gangs filled with this dude wouldn't succeed vs. the gangs filled with people who can literally control the elements. And thus gang activity got severe enough, without crippling the city at least, that this:

"Hey, even notice that all the wars were fought mainly by benders? Hey, ever notice that the gangs are all benders? Hey, ever notice that the police force is all benders, HEY, ever notice that our government is comprised of benders?! They're the reason for ALL of your problems. "

Caught on for a minority of people.

Bending essentially became a crutch for a group of people who had a rough time in Republic City and needed a boogeyman even if they weren't personally affected but had a rough time anyway. It won't ever get that bad again because the equalizing movement iirc was a vocal minority that had secret meetings instead of a mainstream audience until things escalated in S1.
These types of movements the writers drew inspiration from for this season specifically are a bit different than people not wanting to wear masks IMO. It was based explicitly on class revolutions if I recall correctly. Amon was wrong to blame bending for his abuse but

A simple acknowledgement by the City that they could have done better by their nonbending citizens would have been better than what we got, but that doesn't come until later. The resolution as is just feels really clunky from both a character driven perspective and a plot driven one. Nobody learns or acknowledges much of anything, Korra powers through using abilities that feel like they come from nowhere instead of coming from some kind of revelation.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
fantastic show. I just finished a rewatch a few months ago. It can be a little uneven in places but but given that it was written to be a one season 12 episode spinoff before being renewed for another 40 episodes I give it some leniency. in the end it's more avatar and that's never a bad thing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
These types of movements the writers drew inspiration from for this season specifically are a bit different than people not wanting to wear masks IMO. It was based explicitly on class revolutions if I recall correctly. Amon was wrong to blame bending for his abuse but

A simple acknowledgement by the City that they could have done better by their nonbending citizens would have been better than what we got, but that doesn't come until later.
The issue with the equalist movement is that benders aren't really a seperate class. They're magical people yes and they end up in higher positions but the comparison to real life doesn't make much sense in the way that people would genuinely feel oppressed by them specifically. I think the absolute evisceration of Toph's parenting and subsequently her police force is proof enough that things needed to be better. Like, she literally let her daughter get away with gang related crimes. I'm at ep. 5 and they've done nothing to really make it seem like the Equalizers had good points and I can't recall them ever doing that considering Amon's entire premise was based on a lie about his father being extorted by firebenders.

The resolution as is just feels really clunky from both a character driven perspective and a plot driven one. Nobody learns or acknowledges much of anything, Korra powers through using abilities that feel like they come from nowhere instead of coming from some kind of revelation.
She's the avatar. Her biggest enemy was always herself when it came to learning new things. Aside from the spirit stuff in S2. We don't talk about the spirit stuff in S2. Or S2 in general.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with the equalist movement is that benders aren't really a seperate class. They're magical people yes and they end up in higher positions but the comparison to real life doesn't make much sense in the way that people would genuinely feel oppressed by them specifically. I think the absolute evisceration of Toph's parenting and subsequently her police force is proof enough that things needed to be better. Like, she literally let her daughter get away with gang related crimes. I'm at ep. 5 and they've done nothing to really make it seem like the Equalizers had good points and I can't recall them ever doing that considering Amon's entire premise was based on a lie about his father being extorted by firebenders.

She's the avatar. Her biggest enemy was always herself when it came to learning new things. Aside from the spirit stuff in S2. We don't talk about the spirit stuff in S2. Or S2 in general.

They're not a seperate class persay but they are born with innate advantages and regularly end up in positions of power. There's probably conflict to draw from there. In season 2 the council disbands and a nonbender president is elected, which is a subtle admission that things were off balance in the old way.

Korra is obviously suffering from a mental block but Avatar is a series about tangible growth. Aang is only able to firebend once he's able to see past it's potential for destruction and find beauty in it. Korra doesn't have any deeper realizations about Airbending or Spirituality to justify those last scenes.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Korra is a better character than Aang, but as a whole TLA is much more consistent, though season 3 of Korra is on par as the last two seasons of TLA imo.

Korra spoilers (don't read if you haven't watched it all of it):
Still waiting for a season all about Korra and Asami's trip into the spirit world, their thread was honestly really good, albeit started too late with all the stupid love triangle stuff of the first two seasons.

But it only has a few pages of the adventure in the Spirit World. It is however the canonical continuation

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Down on your luck and need to make a quick buck? Well, if you're a talented firebender there's always work for you down at the power plant. We could always use a few more Earthbenders for construction and on the force if you can metalbend! Hell, if you've got no other options you can always try and get out of poverty through professional sports!

What do you mean you can't bend?

OP
OP
Sensei

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tbh amon could have told the truth about his backstory and it would have been justified still. firebenders being able to erase entire cultures off the map just because theyre genetically predisposed to being empowered by a space rock that just happens to pass by every 100 years is kinda uhhh terrifying. they never get into it that way though

he coulda been like bender john brown or something lol