• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah I saw this before, hope Square really update it, but wouldn't be surprised if they never do anything.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope it fixes the audio glitch and adds controller support. Aside from those two major issues this game still holds up. and it's layered one world system is still relevant in our current dark souls / metroidvania world. The writing is also top notch still. Seriously this game holds up if not for two glaring technical problems.
im so happy they didn't follow through with that overly edgy Sam Barlow game. That would be a disservice to the writing and tone of dialogue established by the OG LoK games

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Bought both 1 and 2 on Steam for 99 cents during last Steam sale. Cool they are getting updated to run on current hardware.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I love this series so much. Damn good memories playing this with my brother: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain onwards.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Really wish they'd do a Nightdive type run through this series to make it easier to play on modern hardware, get controller support in, etc. Not holding out hope for anything like that, though. They're probably just yanking out some content they don't have the rights to anymore.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've played all of them on PC and never experienced any kind of technical issues. [win 98, xp and 7], but on my current Windows 10 rig, Soul Reaver won't even start.
Haven't bothered to try the other ones.
I'd recommend using some fan patches on steam community and utilizing dgvoodoo. That is how I ran it :X

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Bluepoint remaster please. Just keep the original voice files, tho. Those performances don't need to be changed.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I'd recommend using some fan patches on steam community and utilizing dgvoodoo. That is how I ran it :X

Thank you.
I have some older PC builds for retro gaming, so it's not a problem for me, but i'm sure it will help others reading this.

I'm actually thinking of doing a Dreamcast run of Soul Reaver 1 next time, just need to fix my lens :|

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if this has any connection with the Panzer Dragon remake studio announcing that they made a deal to do remakes of an series that Square owns.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I just really, really don't want Blood Omen 1 to go 3D.

So much random stuff, like Lupine form, Moon gates, optional dungeons and spells/items are 100% getting cut if they decide to re-make it in 3D. And I don't want that, because all that extra stuff you only needed for 100% completion made Nosgoth feel alive like no other game in the series.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Thank you.
I have some older PC builds for retro gaming, so it's not a problem for me, but i'm sure it will help others reading this.

I'm actually thinking of doing a Dreamcast run of Soul Reaver 1 next time, just need to fix my lens :|

You can emulate the Dreamcast version and add HD textures, this pack was released last summer:

theancientsden.blogspot.com

Soul Reaver HD Texture pack

Soul Reaver, Dreamcast, Texture pack, HD,

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
My favourite game series. I would give anything for a remake.
(I don't dare hope for a continuation of the story anymore).

Oct 27, 2017
All this game really needs is proper game pad support with improved camera controls, arbitrary resolutions, and the ability to run at any framerate.

But I would absolutely love it if they went above and beyond. Give it some improved textures, improve the models a bit, and improve the combat controls. The game is amazing as is, but I can dream of an even better version.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
You can emulate the Dreamcast version and add HD textures, this pack was released last summer:

theancientsden.blogspot.com

Soul Reaver HD Texture pack

Soul Reaver, Dreamcast, Texture pack, HD,

This i know, but i'm one of those freaks that loves playing on the original hardware even if that means jaggies, low res textures and bad framerate xd

I have nothing against emulators. I think they're a great way to play games and i use them from time to time, but as someone that grew up as a PC gamer, it's nice to go back and experience everything from the other side.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Any comparison of this? I'd love to see how good the DC version looked in terms of textures and models
From what i remember it was kinda just Raziel and Kain, the latter who got a model that matched his CGI/eventual Soul Reaver 2 design, who got model upgrades.
I see your Nightdive, and I raise you Bluepoint.

(Nightdive would still be awesome, though, their Turok ports are amazing)
Unless you're suggesting Bluepoint do a standard HD remaster like they used to do, I don't think it'd be a good fit. They tend to like and keep their full on remakes as 1:1 as possible in terms of gameplay, and as much as I love Soul Reaver, it genuinely, and understandably, feels dated when it comes to gameplay, and that same gameplay with cutting edge graphics at like 4K 120fps would make the flaws even more pronounced.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
From what i remember it was kinda just Raziel and Kain, the latter who got a model that matched his CGI/eventual Soul Reaver 2 design, who got model upgrades.

Unless you're suggesting Bluepoint do a standard HD remaster like they used to do, I don't think it'd be a good fit. They tend to like and keep their full on remakes as 1:1 as possible in terms of gameplay, and as much as I love Soul Reaver, it genuinely, and understandably, feels dated when it comes to gameplay, and that same gameplay with cutting edge graphics at like 4K 120fps would make the flaws even more pronounced.
Yeah, I can't imagine any "modern sensibilities" gamer trying to play Soul Reaver's combat. Facing 2 Dumahim at once was genuinely more frustrating than most encounters in any given Souls-like. You stun both, pick one up, toss them onto a spike, try to grab their soul, the other one recovers and hits you, the sould comes back, start over. And those were the easy enemies.

Also, block puzzles.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I played it for the first time last year on Steam (1080p/75fps, 4:3 AR otherwise the soul reaver didn't show properly), and i had to fix a shitton of things to make it work on w10 without crashing (and still didn't want to launch from time to time), so this is good news.

If they fix the usual problems and add controller support, i'm definitely replaying it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can't imagine any "modern sensibilities" gamer trying to play Soul Reaver's combat. Facing 2 Dumahim at once was genuinely more frustrating than most encounters in any given Souls-like. You stun both, pick one up, toss them onto a spike, try to grab their soul, the other one recovers and hits you, the sould comes back, start over. And those were the easy enemies.

Also, block puzzles.

I first played it a couple years ago, and I think it holds up pretty well. But I do agree that it would need some modernizing to be acceptable to most players these days.

Leave those block puzzles in though. I enjoy those things.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Hopefully! One of my favorite games of all time.

PS1 version runs better than my PC which is hundreds of time stronger.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Maybe some CD devs are on here and see that an update to a game from 1999 has 2 pages and will trigger an uphill battle to reboot this series.