• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I like that channel, I guess it would be cool to have a list of gaming specific channels that are also left thinking.

Off the top of my head, MarkBrown,WritingOnGames,Slowbeef/Retsupurae, EasyAllies, JosephAnderson and SuperBunnyHop.

Love Easy Allies, wish they were more open about tackling social issues, but it's understandable that they'd be wary of that. Even the EZA community can get kind of crazy.

As for other gaming channels, mad respect to Extra Credits, not only for their open stance against Gamergate and their videos on social issues, but because they make such a great effort to represent a diverse range of people in their drawings. It's really great to see people of all backgrounds represented as regular members of the gaming community.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
Do these people have any credentials?
While I wouldn't really consider him a leftist, Potholer54 is a climatologist and does a really good job at countering right-wing arguments and misinformation about climate change. He's also very good at breaking down complicated research in a way that a layman can understand.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
marinashutup/ Marina Watanabe. Really great intersectional bi feminist who talks about all kinds of issues. The videos are usually bite-sized, too.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh wow, I just watched the new Shaun video on the Amazing Atheist. That ending was just plain brutal.
Also that new "Angry Atheist" video makes me fucking hate the Angry Atheist, can't believe I remember people once were into him---I'm glad I never subscribed to his brand of "intelligence".
Yea, a lot of people I know used to watch his stuff but grew out of it and are pretty normal nowadays.

Anyways, it's really great to see so many YouTube recommendations coming in. This OP is going to be huge.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Great thread. Contrapoints is easily my favorite of the bunch, her videos are really entertaining and I rarely disagree with anything she says. She's also BY FAR the most consistently funny out of any of them, IMO.

I can vouch for all of them. Well, except maybe Destiny. I tried watching a couple of his debates and I'm not sure how valuable engaging with the people he engages with is. And even putting that aside they're just kind of longer than I'd like, I wish someone would make a compilation or highlight video of them. But HBomberguy (controversy aside), Dan Olson, Shaun, and Innuendo Studios are all really solid. I also like Lindsay Ellis a lot but the content I've seen from her seems to talk less about actual politics than everyone else that's been mentioned.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Edit: Never mind, double post. Never had that happen before, not even on the old site to the best of my memory. My sucky internet.....

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
So everyone who's not on the right is considered to be a leftist. Is this an American thing?

I'd consider it more of an internet thing. Of course there's a lot more divisions that would invalidate trying to make a general list of "lefty" YouTubers, but in a time where an online streaming service is the most watched thing globally, while not having the same responsibilities a public broadcaster has (verify sources, etc), and is quickly becoming an alt-right shouting platform, then yes, everything that is not that is leftist.

Premise of this thread is to see what's generally out there for people unfamiliar with it and add to it plus discuss the talking points in those videos.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread, I've already subscribed to a few of those guys (hbomberguy, contrapoints), but it's always nice to have more material to digest.

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice list OP. Love all the channels you mentioned besides Anita, because of gaming related reasons.
Destiny's latest discussion with Pinksparkles was pretty good.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ellis went to film school, Contra has an MA, I think.

But I mean, it's YT and the videos speak for themselves, so I'm not sure credentials are needed.

I like Ellis. I'm not sure I've seen any leftist material from her but I would assume it's informed.
I figured as much for Contra. Those videos have the feel of a 28 year old art grad talking about politics.

From the video.
Did you know attacking migrants with dark skin color is racist?

Did you know calling yourself ethnocentric means you advocate for white power?

Did you know purging immigrants, migrants, and minorities and LGBTQ's from the nation is wrong?

Wow, my eyes are open. The host also disparages people shopping at Crate and Barrel who work as a marketing associates. Apparently they are centrist which are more nazi than the KKK.
I remember the days when a person with an academic background in the field they discussed were the ones starting these conversations. Forgive me, but I'd rather get my news from a boring old white guy in a suit than someone with a master of arts with a silly hairdo/hat spewing out their limited knowledge of politics. Contra Points is like if you filmed me talking about the history of World War II. I would just tell you the same shit everyone else knows that I picked up from watching 5 hours of The History Channel.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I like Ellis. I'm not sure I've seen any leftist material from her but I would assume it's informed.
I figured as much for Contra. Those videos have the feel of a 28 year old art grad talking about politics.

From the video.

Wow, my eyes are open. The host also disparages people shopping at Crate and Barrel who work as a marketing associates. Apparently they are centrist which are more nazi than the KKK.
I remember the days when a person with an academic background in the field they discussed were the ones starting these conversations. Forgive me, but I'd rather get my news from a boring old white guy in a suit than someone with a master of arts with a silly hairdo/hat spewing out their limited knowledge of politics. Contra Points is like if you filmed me talking about the history of World War II. I would just tell you the same shit everyone else knows that I picked up from watching 5 hours of The History Channel.

Did Contrapoints actually study art, or are you assuming that an MA is necessarily an art degree?

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Shaun is my favourite out of this bunch and definitely deserves more subs. It's hard to fathom how anyone can still support the likes of Sargon or Molyneux after seeing him tear them apart. The guys placid and calm delivery just make it all the more brutal.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they are centrist which are more nazi than the KKK.
Can you show me where she says anything close to this? I'm pretty sure the point of the video was to examine how genuine fascists are using dogwhistles and sanitized language to repackage their beliefs in a way that can appeal to centrists. That's not a blanket insult against all centrists.

Last edited:

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Contrapoints actually study art, or are you assuming that an MA is necessarily an art degree?

I know an MA is many things. Contra Points simply reeks of art degree. And I like people with art degrees! As long as they aren't explaining base level politics.

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from Linsey, I've gone cold on the lot of them recently. Hbomb and Contra in particular are a painful watch for me. Will definitely be looking at some of the unrecognised names in the OP to see if any of them scratch my itch.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you show me where she says anything close to this? I'm pretty sure the point of the video was to examine how genuine fascists are using dogwhistles and sanitized language to repackage their beliefs in a way that can appeal to centrists.

That is probably what I'm talking about. But the way they talk about centrists, cripes. "Oh those poor centrist too dumb to understand how to decide and decode things, they both sides and suck the teats of the nazi." Hyperbole yes, but it's 4am and I'm not gonna watch that crap again.

It's incredibly condescending. There are two types of people she caters to. Those not dumb enough to already know what she's talking about. This may involve middle school students and other pre-college teenagers. Or, those who are in lock step with her beliefs who enjoy her shitting on the "centrists" she brings up over and over.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly condescending. There are two types of people she caters to. Those not dumb enough to already know what she's talking about. This may involve middle school students and other pre-college teenagers. Or, those who are in lock step with her beliefs who enjoy her shitting on the "centrists" she brings up over and over.
That's an incredibly worthwhile group to target. Youtube's political content is completely dominated by both far right personalities and self-described centrists like Sargon who do nothing but shit on SJWs and defend Trump all day. Kids are impressionable and, when their favorite dipshit minecraft streamer inevitably points them towards that content, they probably aren't going to have the mental tools to decide and decode things.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, will check them out. Destiny and Contra are my go to cucks these days, but I wouldn't mind some variance.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

From the video.

Contrapoints studied Philosophy, so I don't think you're statement's really that appropriate and her Philosphy background really shows in her videos.

Her artsiness stems from her distate for the academe style which is very apparent in her earlier videos (her distaste has lessened recently).

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
One of things I've learnt in listening to Destiny's debates is that facts our so important in preparation to debating the Alt-Right. The Alt-Right win debates when you allow them to asset beliefs as truth. The crux to their argument is almost always based on the assertion that the people they usually talk to will not have done their own research. They try to make sweeping generalizations that don't hold up in any data.

A lesson I learnt recently is to argue facts not opinions. Opinions are subjective, but facts are up for interpretation. Even with the ones that do bring up Data, the data seems to rarely hold up upon examination.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contrapoints studied Philosophy, so I don't think you're statement's really that appropriate and her Philosphy background really shows in her videos.

Her artsiness stems from her distate for the academe style which is very apparent in her earlier videos (her distaste has lessened recently).

How does her philosophy background show? It's pretty fucking basic because of the "if then" "so forth" statements? I agree that she has a half conceived philosophy that rejects academia in favor of "art style."

Did you know attacking migrants with dark skin color is racist?

Did you know calling yourself ethnocentric means you advocate for white power?

Did you know purging immigrants, migrants, and minorities and LGBTQ's from the nation is wrong?

is that a joke or is it art?

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I think ContraPoints is really great, she is very smart and insightful and I'm glad that she can critique the left and people on the left will hear her out.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I just want to go on record saying that Shaun, alongside the Binging With Babish guy, has the best voice on YouTube.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
mac you got a dog in this race or what? All I'm seeing is a bunch of refuting without any point or argument.

I mean looking at the thread I guess you want to discredit people posted unless they fit your criteria of what is and isn't "good enough" to talk about politics? Yes we'd all like our informed sources to be people with Bachelor's in Politics but sometimes even the common or semi-educated person wants to weigh in. We shouldn't discourage those people because that would just disenfranchise them from doing so in the first place. I mean, if you want to help, why not contact Contra yourself and advocate for less centrist dogpiling?

I commend these people for even trying to speak up about their beliefs and present them in an engaging way. We too often have viewpoints that go silent or necessary things that need to be said that go unsaid or unseen because the right medium or person hasn't come along yet.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do these people have any credentials?
Uh, the purpose of this thread wasn't to link to online lectures from professors. That said, many of these folks are well read, some of them have academic degrees. Unfortunately the figure in the OP with the most relevant academic backing is also the most controversial, Anita Sarkeesian. It's also worth remembering that many of the very popular content producers on the right-wing side have no solid academic backing.

Some of the people on the right who do have academic backgrounds, for example Jordan Peterson, are far worse sources of knowledge. Jordan blew up in popularity based on misrepresenting Bill-C16, a harmful act since it painted trans people in a horrible light.
That is probably what I'm talking about. But the way they talk about centrists, cripes. "Oh those poor centrist too dumb to understand how to decide and decode things, they both sides and suck the teats of the nazi." Hyperbole yes, but it's 4am and I'm not gonna watch that crap again.

I think it's a good idea to debate the people that we're watching or that I've put in the OP, but you seem to be going really hard on Contra specifically for a lack of certification to talk about this content. Which doesn't feel like a real argument here. I'd prefer a focus on the content.

The specific video we are talking about is pretty well liked in this and other communities. Further, due to Youtube being filled with centrists and right-wingers posing as centrists, most of whom produce very samey content filled with dog whistles, I'd say Contra's point seems pretty reasonable. It's important for people who are watching these videos to know what's going on. And again, one of the main intentions of these dog whistles is to get centrists saying them.

I think a good case study of the dog whistling on the Youtube sceptosphere would be Mouthy Buddha, his videos examining the Jewish Question and the response from the popular Youtube centre.

Last edited:

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
These are obviously popularizers of political discourse, not academic lecturers. Those exist in great number if that's what you're looking for.

A Youtuber like ContraPoints exists as an important counterpoint to guys like Sargon, of which there are many, who popularize and often blatantly misrepresent facts and arguments, and try to pass themselves off as centre-left when they are really advocating and enabling right wing views. There needs to be a balance, especially for viewers who prefer this easily digestible material over hour-plus long lectures. As for Contra specifically, of course there is an element of absurdist art and satire in the videos she produces, but the reasoning at the core of her arguments is generally sound and well thought-out.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread, thanks OP.

I'm subscribed to many of these channels, but I'm always hungry for more and there's a few I didn't know about.

Whilst not a YouTube channel I'd like to give a shout out to one of my favourite blogs, Pharyngula:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/

Which I've been reading for nearly a decade and has always been a great mix
of social justice, atheism and science.

Last edited:

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does her philosophy background show? It's pretty fucking basic because of the "if then" "so forth" statements? I agree that she has a half conceived philosophy that rejects academia in favor of "art style."

I'm talking about her youtube channel in general though when regarding her use of her philosophy background. She discusses and quotes philosophers and their in relation to the subject matter of a video, with one or two videos being more focused on the idea she's talking about.

I guess it's not utilized that much in the "Decrypting the alt-right" video, but I'm not really getting "limited knowledge" vibes from her.
Is her high production values (for a youtuber of her level) getting in the way of her looking knowledgeable? Do you feel her talking about how centrists can be clueless about dogwshistles and stuff was really condescending therefore she is artsy student talking way out her field?

Last edited:

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I like that channel, I guess it would be cool to have a list of gaming specific channels that are also left thinking.

Off the top of my head, MarkBrown,WritingOnGames,Slowbeef/Retsupurae, EasyAllies, JosephAnderson and SuperBunnyHop.
Don't forget Jim Sterling, he's super left leaning.

Him and Contra have been commenting on eachother's videos, I'd absolutely love to see some kind of collaboration.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I think it's pretty funny that you're digging your feet in even when your assumptions are shown to be wrong "She's clearly a philosophy major" It's pointed out that she has an MA (I think she got half way through a PhD) "Well, not *my* philosophy" What's the point of asking for her level of education level at all if you're not going to change you perspective one iota? It's a really supercilious approach. Plus even if she was a fucking professor of politics I'm pretty sure there aren't exactly a mountain of peer reviewed academic papers in existence on the rise of the alt-right over the last couple of year.

Somebody pointed out that Anita holds the most academic credit on that list and she's the most controversial figure there. I think it's worth pointing out that most of the people on that list really aren't too hot on Anita.

it's also apparent you're not too well informed on the targeted audiences whilst trying to call her uninformed? Destiny as a former hardcore libertarian pointed out to her that she had to explain specifically why things were wrong because many centrists don't realise it. Yet here you're questioning that aspect of her approach as a joke or art? What exactly is your background? What should she be doing differently?

On a totally different subject I think it's a shitty thing to identify Destiny as leftist. His social view has become more left leaning over the last couple of years but on a monetary front he's all about globalised capitalism. That's not to say his content isn't worth watching as some of it really is, just that seeing him put second on a list of Youtubers leftest present probably wouldn't sit well with him even if it's just on a basis of monetary policy?

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
On a totally different subject I think it's a shitty thing to identify Destiny as leftist. His social view has become more left leaning over the last couple of years but on a monetary front he's all about globalised capitalism. That's not to say his content isn't worth watching as some of it really is, just that seeing him put second on a list of Youtubers leftest present probably wouldn't sit well with him even if it's just on a basis of monetary policy?

I'm going to add a disclaimer, that the content producers being discussed don't have to be people who are specifically far-left or economically left. Again the intention of the thread was to showcase people who are pushing back against the dominant far-right presence on Youtube, which I think Steven fits as well as most other folks there.

On a somewhat related note, I'm second putting Anita in the OP. I added her since people asked and I know her content well enough to add some video recommendations. But I feel like she might turn away people who enter the thread and would otherwise have considered checking out the other Youtubers. I'd also agree that putting her on a list with Destiny seems extra weird. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome idea for a thread!

I just discovered Hbomberguy recently and I've binged through most of his vids. I love his stuff and now I'm sad that I have to wait for more.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm going to add a disclaimer, that the content producers being discussed don't have to be people who are specifically far-left or economically left. Again the intention of the thread was to showcase people who are pushing back against the dominant far-right presence on Youtube, which I think Steven fits as well as most other folks there.

Fair enough, I probably read too much into the title.

On a somewhat related note, I'm second guessing Anita. I added her to the OP since people asked and I know her content well enough to add some video recommendations. But I feel like she might turn away people who enter the thread and would otherwise have considered checking out the other Youtubers. I'd also agree that putting her on a list with Destiny seems extra weird. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

To be honest I don't have any strong views on Anita personally. To me most of her videos cover the kind of basics from Ba Media Studies feminism modules, but I'm not really all that updated on her social media presence other than through when people debate alt-right speakers who never seem to have any serious critiques of femism beyond "She's a cunt because she wants something different to me!"

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stalk oddity GamerJM
I added Innuendo Studios to the OP. If any of you could write a few sentence blurb that would recommend the channel to newcomers that would be cool.

To be honest I don't have any strong views on Anita personally. To me most of her videos cover the kind of basics from Ba Media Studies feminism modules, but I'm not really all that updated on her social media presence other than through when people debate alt-right speakers who never seem to have any serious critiques of femism beyond "She's a cunt because she wants something different to me!"

I should have phrased that better, I like a bunch of her content. I'm just worried people will hop into this thread completely unaware of all the people listed, but see Anita among them and not bother checking anything out. Since regardless of what we think of her, she does conjure a strong opposition even from people on the left and to be honest she's not all that representative of the other folks in the OP.

Also yea, I agree with what you said. She basically provides a very milquetoast feminist critique, it really shouldn't draw such a strong outburst from people. I think the main, fair criticism that I hear, is that she's potentially too far into the sex-negative style of feminism.

Oct 25, 2017
CannonFodder52 Some recommendations I would add as well:

Roland S Martin: A Progressive Talk Show that covers many issues but has a focus on Civil Rights topics: https://www.youtube.com/user/rolandsmartin

Benjamin Dixon: A Progressive Talk Show similar to The Majority Report that isn't afraid to call out Democrats on their flaws but like Sam Seder and Michael Brooks is much more honest about the subjects. For example, Dixon did a video trying to explain to people that Obama is the leader of the Democratic Party not Hillary Clinton. Anyway here is his Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMCioqY4zblWt7Uw0E0VTGA/featured

(Credit to Inuhanyou who first recommended Benjamin Dixon for me (even if I still have my disagreements with Inuhanyou). Been watching him since your recommendation and I love his show.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Someone was asking about credentials so I would thought I would just point out that I believe Lindsay Ellis has a masters in film studies.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Noam Chomsky has always had interesting things to say about the attempt to limit political discussion to people who are somehow "qualified," rather than tackling arguments directly, on their own merits.

In my own professional work I have touched on a variety of different fields. I've done my work in mathematical linguistics, for example, without any professional credentials in mathematics; in this subject I am completely self-taught, and not very well taught. But I've often been invited by universities to speak on mathematical linguistics at mathematics seminars and colloquia. No one has ever asked me whether I have the appropriate credentials to speak on these subjects; the mathematicians couldn't care less. What they want to know is what I have to say. No one has ever objected to my right to speak, asking whether I have a doctor's degree in mathematics, or whether I have taken advanced courses in the subject. That would never have entered their minds. They want to know whether I am right or wrong, whether the subject is interesting or not, whether better approaches are possible - the discussion dealt with the subject, not with my right to discuss it.

But on the other hand, in discussion or debate concerning social issues or American foreign policy, Vietnam or the Middle East, for example, the issue is constantly raised, often with considerable venom. I've repeatedly been challenged on the grounds of credentials, or asked, what special training do you have that entitles you to speak of these matters. The assumption is that people like me, who are outsiders from a professional standpoint, are not entitled to speak on such things.

Compare mathematics and the political sciences -- it's quite striking. In mathematics, in physics, people are concerned with what you say, not with your certification. But in order to speak about social reality, you must have the proper credentials, particularly if you depart from the accepted framework of thinking. Generally speaking, it seems fair to say that the richer the intellectual substance of a field, the less there is a concern for credentials, and the greater is concern for content.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
IcedBlackCoffee
Yea, multiple people cited Roland, I'll definitely add him to the OP.
I'll check out Benjamin Dixon too. Thanks again for the suggestions.

https://www.snopes.com/woman-attack...ood/?utm_source=socialflow&utm_medium=twitter

I dont think anyone deserves to be punched for wearing a MAGA hat but if you go to a Anti-Trump rally and go past the seperation lines, you are probably going to get into some sought of altercation. Blaire White got what she wanted and gets to play the victim card.

Interesting article, hadn't seen this part of the story yet. Yea, in all honesty it looks like she went there wearing the hat, intending for something to happen to gain content for a video. She was disingenuous with her description of the event, and declined to file a report on the drink throwing. As the article suggests, just like the Alex Jones staged coffee event.
*Obviously, the guy who stepped on her hand is in the wrong as well, that's unjustifiable.*

Blair White:
Disclaimer: We never did anything remotely inflammatory or investigative to anyone. The point of this video was simply to wear a conservative symbol in a very liberal area.
Snopes:
That is not exactly what happened, according to Los Angeles police Lt. Michael Ling. He told us the protest was permitted in the area of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue (in the heart of Hollywood) and that police had roped off a dividing line between pro-Trump and anti-Trump groups to keep them separated and to avoid violence. White and Sarson crossed into the anti-Trump crowd, which incited the physical contact seen in the video. Ling said police helped White get up and and away from the area, and that she declined to file a police report or press charges.

Last edited:

Cyrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LMAO. You can't back up your insults and vague claims with any substance whatsoever and overall come off like a retired professor in a nursing home yelling about the young people with their outlandish dress and hairstyle on the lawn outside. Obviously you are just reaching for reasons to discredit specific youtubers because you don't like their political stances. Your avatar fits you very well.