• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this topic isn't about voting, it's about posting leftist videos

and you haven't posted about voting a single time on this page other than to say "can we please get back to the discussion around voting?" while whining about right wing tactics and """good faith discussions"""
Another reason for the discrepancy between liberals and leftists, which is why there seems to be some coconfusion as to why voting isn't the central topic here. Voting is a political action that you should choose to take to mitigate damage, but unless you live in a handful of states here your vote largely doesn't matter. There are more direct and beneficial avenues for political action than showing up to vote in an electoral system that is continually failing its people. Especially given the steps this administration is going to in order to further suppress votes anyway.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
The removed video was making the rounds on social media recently and someone mentioned this article in the discourse, a very worthwhile read on the idea of voting as harm reduction from an Indigenous perspective.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Not everybody knows the full history of every Youtuber. The video's been removed. Time to move on.

It would be nice to have some consistency with the modding on this. If I'm expected to do due diligence for news sources outside of my country even if the article I'm posting is objective reporting. I received a 2 week ban for posting from some right wing Washington outlet (not listed as a banned site) because it was the first to come up on Google with a story I knew of from other sources. The post is here and this is a NYT source for the quote I referenced, though the length is labelled as 1 week for some reason. Then other members should be held accountable for posting opinion pieces directly from bigoted creators, it doesn't take much research to know Vaush is a bastard even if it's the sexual harassment stuff rather than him defending the use of the n-word on a literal Nazi podcast or defending paedophilia. Posters should be held responsible for brushing aside paedophilia whilst derailing the thread. And if an English mod sources a far right Islamophobic English paper that's actually a banned source here so they can try to validate their views against a teenager who was groomed and sexually abused, maybe there should be a consequence for that too?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to have some consistency with the modding on this. If I'm expected to do due diligence for news sources outside of my country even if the article I'm posting is objective reporting. I received a 2 week ban for posting from some right wing Washington outlet (not listed as a banned site) because it was the first to come up on Google with a story I knew of from other sources. The post is here and this is a NYT source for the quote I referenced, though the length is labelled as 1 week for some reason. Then other members should be held accountable for posting opinion pieces directly from bigoted creators, it doesn't take much research to know Vaush is a bastard even if it's the sexual harassment stuff rather than him defending the use of the n-word on a literal Nazi podcast or defending paedophilia. Posters should be held responsible for brushing aside paedophilia whilst derailing the thread. And if an English mod sources a far right Islamophobic English paper that's actually a banned source here so they can try to validate their views against a teenager who was groomed and sexually abused, maybe there should be a consequence for that too?
Couple of things.

First off, if you want to appeal a ban, the standard process is to use the contact us form or PM a mod captain once you're back so we can go over the details, rather than relitigating things in public. This is for a variety of reasons, like the privacy of all parties involved, to avoid derails, and to prevent giving trolls a platform to make everybody's lives miserable. So if you'd like to discuss the particulars of your ban, feel free to shoot me or any of the other captains a PM. You're guaranteed a reply, and so long as you don't curse somebody out or otherwise get hostile, there's no fear of a ban.

Secondly, we've been asked to provide more opportunities for people to course correct and get educated generally. We're finding the exact spot to land on, so that might change over time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If someone made a thread on that video, it will explode. A lot of people would not watch the video and react solely to the title and the rest will do the moral relativism that he's not as bad as Trump or Bush. It would be amazing.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I couldn't believe it when I saw Obama going to talk with people of Flint Michigan and tried to fuck with them by sipping flint tap water.
I know his administration has done worse stuff, but it just seems so brutal to do that to a crowd of people who genuinely love you and believe that you can help them.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the TS Obama video

Someone needs to make a thread for it because I wanna see people get real mad, except that TS really did his research and it's all completely indefensible shit

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny continues being shit

Imagine saying you give white supremacists your blessing for anything and specifically in this case "mowing people down."

BeigeGoat

Apr 7, 2018
youtu.be

The Average Household Wealth of a Black Family in Boston is $8. Yes, Really.

no memin here Website - https://www.vaush.gg/ Twitter - https://twitter.com/VaushV Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/vaush Donate - https://www.paypal.me/vau...

This fact kinda just pissed me off, but the stickiness at the ends thing seems to have a silver lining: All the activism, bills and community efforts to help poor Blacks, and poor/Black people in general, has a real long-lasting positive effect. Helps make me not want to give up.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
youtu.be

WAP and the Spectacle of Sexual Liberation

HELP ME MAKE MORE VIDEOS ▶︎ http://patreon.com/forharriet HELP A BLACK WOMAN PAY RENT ★ http://fhhelpinghand.com GET SOME MERCH ▶︎ http://ShopForHarriet.com ...

Really good video from Tiffany on WAP and the commodification of Black women's bodies
It's a complicated topic as she talks about both sides that it's empowering and sex-positive but also mainly black and other minority exotification while white female artists don't have to resort to it to get widespread attention and Cardi B says she's doing what works in the industry. Like Tiffany, I'm happy that it infuriates the conservatives and racists, but BIPOC folks are stuck in a few boxes to become mainstream.
youtu.be

The Average Household Wealth of a Black Family in Boston is $8. Yes, Really.

no memin here Website - https://www.vaush.gg/ Twitter - https://twitter.com/VaushV Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/vaush Donate - https://www.paypal.me/vau...

This fact kinda just pissed me off, but the stickiness at the ends thing seems to have a silver lining: All the activism, bills and community efforts to help poor Blacks, and poor/Black people in general, has a real long-lasting positive effect. Helps make me not want to give up.
Tiffany/For Harriett had an amazing talk with Richard Rothstein on his book The Color Of Law about de jure/de facto housing segregation through explicitly racial housing policies and how over the decades, it's tied to all kinds of injustices from schooling, incomes, metropolitan vs suburban neighbourhood control aka NIMBY, gentrification, and many other issues. The whole hour is essential listening, full of insights that I had no idea about like levittowns and the origins of suburbs (William Levitt is the father of suburbia). It might seem very heavy and depressing but Richard is quite hopeful that with BLM and George Floyd protests being unprecedented might transition all that push for change into housing issues.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a complicated topic as she talks about both sides that it's empowering and sex-positive but also mainly black and other minority exotification while white female artists don't have to resort to it to get widespread attention and Cardi B says she's doing what works in the industry. Like Tiffany, I'm happy that it infuriates the conservatives and racists, but BIPOC folks are stuck in a few boxes to become mainstream.

Tiffany/For Harriett had an amazing talk with Richard Rothstein on his book The Color Of Law about de jure/de facto housing segregation through explicitly racial housing policies and how over the decades, it's tied to all kinds of injustices from schooling, incomes, metropolitan vs suburban neighbourhood control aka NIMBY, gentrification, and many other issues. The whole hour is essential listening, full of insights that I had no idea about like levittowns and the origins of suburbs (William Levitt is the father of suburbia). It might seem very heavy and depressing but Richard is quite hopeful that with BLM and George Floyd protests being unprecedented might transition all that push for change into housing issues.

Thanks for reminding me to finish watching this video.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
So a while back they almighty YouTube algorithm suggested Tom Nicholas to me and I've checked out a bunch of his videos.
The videos are pretty neat explorations of various leftist ideas like

Neoliberalism is cringe

White privilege is a thing

And some people are predisposed to fascism

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
If anyone was familiar with a channel called BlackGoat666, they've rebranded recently as We're In Hell and here's their newest video

And new video from Jack Saint on Abby Shapiro

I have no idea why, but as long as I'm logged into my gmail account I never get any ads on YT, so all this talk about getting PragerU, Abby Shapiro and other ads always makes me go: oh right ads exist.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Olsen (Folding Ideas) posted a video about Flat Earthers and where the movement is heading

Pst: The answer is they're all going to
QAnon

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched a Vadim video about what Sargon has been up to...I usually don't care too much about worrying what dudes like him are up to but I enjoyed the schadenfreude. 👀

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, fuck Destiny. He's been shit for a long time.
Yeah, Destiny a legit piece of shit. People hyped him as useful cus he "de-converted" people from being reactionaries, but he was still a legit chud himself.

Add, another reason why I'm skeptical of these youtube personalities who make a selling point of supposedly de-convert fashy chuds to the left.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I watched a Vadim video about what Sargon has been up to...I usually don't care too much about worrying what dudes like him are up to but I enjoyed the schadenfreude. 👀
Yep. Loved seeing that Sargon is continuing to find new forms of being absolutely pathetic. It's nice when the bigots reveal exactly how paper thin they are as human beings.

Destiny continues being shit

Imagine saying you give white supremacists your blessing for anything and specifically in this case "mowing people down."

I'm ashamed that I gave this dude a pass for a half second back when he had JonTron on. Sure Destiny, maybe you should make it easy for the armed bigots and just line black people like me, my family, my allies, children, pregnant women all up so we can all get slaughtered for the sake of you not having to see a picture of a burning Target in your Twitter feed anymore. I guess we fucking deserve if for the gall of valuing our lives and humanity more than buildings and enough to never ever stop shouting for a better more equitable society.

Fuck this pissant pathetic coward. Again I'm reminded of Laci Green seeing yet another supposed progressive ally prove that, at the end of the day, when push comes to shove and they see effort is actually required for equality and progress beyond being at a keyboard sniping easy targets while calling yourself an intellectual, they stand for absolutely fucking nothing. Or rather they stand completely for the ideology fitting their own personal apathy & comfort.

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
So a while back they almighty YouTube algorithm suggested Tom Nicholas to me and I've checked out a bunch of his videos.

Neoliberalism is cringe

Wow, this guy is good!

Btw, Pakman got to 1M subs. Crazy, I remember starting watching him when he was at 200k or so and it was not that far ago

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Neoliberalism is cringe

YouTube suggested his channel to me too the other week, seems really good from what I have watched so far.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I like that "how to spot a potential fasc!st" Tom Nicholas video a lot. It's been a while since I thought about it, but reading "The Authoritarian Personality" really has influenced my thinking a ton.

I just hate it chose the word "personality" instead of "worldview" because "personality" to me is an essentialist way to look at it which reinforces that stereotypy categorical worldview that lends itself to fascism. A catious person might have a tendency toward convention, but convention can be risky too. An organizational person might like defined power structures, but the everlasting struggle for power to implement it is pretty chaotic. A cynical person could be cynical about humanity, but they could instead be cynical about convention and authority.

It's hard but extremely important to ignore surface level politics and laser in on worldview, because I think trying to fight fascist leaning worldviews with fascist leaning worldviews is where a lot of the enabling comes from.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comrade Angela Davis advocates revolution, talks Du Bois and Marx, how the violence against women act was actually not good, how capitalism is racial capitalism (and it is founded on slavery), and that neither party in the US addresses the needs of the people.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Is Pakman actually good? I always got left wing grifter vibes from the few clips I've watched.
I don't agree with him on everything (like his take on the Bolivian coup, although he kind of retracted from that) but I think he's great.

Can't help but think you perhaps got those vibes by the way he looks and dresses?

(Edit: now that i think of it, probably the cheesy way in which he plugs in his sponsored advertisements but I'm 100% certain that's him making fun of the ridiculousness of it all. He has that kind of dry cringey sense of humor)

He's been doing this since college for already 15 years and has always been quite consistent in his political views afaik. To me he comes as one of the most transparent political commentators out there actually. He always tries to be super accurate and concise when he speaks but never leaving any important details out. One thing he does very well also is that he will always not only say what he thinks but goes ahead and takes care of any possible rebuttals or other points of view you might be thinking of.

Definitely give him a chance.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pakman was on the "not a coup" train. Haven't seen him retract that. He also punches left at what he calls the "Leninist left." He's anti revolution, and I really don't like the way he interviewed a woman who was being hounded by gamer gate like he was boogie88 or whatever the hell that guy's name is.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
He's been doing this since college for already 15 years and has always been quite consistent in his political views afaik. To me he comes as one of the most transparent political commentators out there actually. He always tries to be super accurate and concise when he speaks but never leaving any important details out. One thing he does very well also is that he will always not only say what he thinks but goes ahead and takes care of any possible rebuttals or other points of view you might be thinking of.

Definitely give him a chance.
I like Pakman in smaller doses, but I 100% agree with the above. On your very last point, it should be clear that he does this not to strawman any rebuttals, but to try to paint them in the best possible light before pointing out how wrong they can be. I think this is something not enough people make the effort to do. He also does very good interviews, both with people he agrees with and those he doesn't, but that seems to happen far less often these days.

I really don't like the way he interviewed a woman who was being hounded by gamer gate like he was boogie88 or whatever the hell that guy's name is.
Yes, I recall this. Well, I recall two things; one was that he did an interview like you described where he came off more aggressively contrarian to her points than he should have. The other was that he hounded another woman for an interview (or, more accurately, a "debate" with another guest who was on the other side of that clusterfuck of a topic), and after she refused, he seemed to dig in and send multiple requests on Twitter, which just brought more trolls/harassers along. I think his intentions may have been good at the time, but it definitely didn't come off that way, especially around the time of that other interview.
That said, I think he's far better now than he was back then.
(I'm leaving out names, despite knowing exactly who they were, for their benefit)

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Pakman was on the "not a coup" train. Haven't seen him retract that. He also punches left at what he calls the "Leninist left." He's anti revolution, and I really don't like the way he interviewed a woman who was being hounded by gamer gate like he was boogie88 or whatever the hell that guy's name is.
Regarding being anti revolution, honestly, that's something I've been considering myself.

I mean, I think it's inevitable but at the same time I only think a revolution will be possible when a great majority of the people is for it. At the moment, though, it seems to me that pushing for a revolution is practically calling for a civil war because, as shit a it is, the reality is that there's an equally sized part of the population that are against any sort of progress and it just seems like they won't change their minds until things don't get much worse.

And maybe some might be inclined to think that a civil conflict could be a catalyst for that sort of change but I really don't. Actually, I think a civil war would probably set us back even further into finding solutions to our problems.

On another note, I'm watching this interview of Richard Wolff by Mexie, should be interesting

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding being anti revolution, honestly, that's something I've been considering myself.

I mean, I think it's inevitable but at the same time I only think a revolution will be possible when a great majority of the people is for it. At the moment, though, it seems to me that pushing for a revolution is practically calling for a civil war because, as shit a it is, the reality is that there's an equally sized part of the population that are against any sort of progress and it just seems like they won't change their minds until things don't get much worse.

And maybe some might be inclined to think that a civil conflict could be a catalyst for that sort of change but I really don't. Actually, I think a civil war would probably set us back even further into finding solutions to our problems.

On another note, I'm watching this interview of Richard Wolff by Mexie, should be interesting

I think your position is still different from Pakman's. Pakman would not want a revolution now, tomorrow, or ever. He seems to only want social democracy under any conditions.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched it yet, and I'm going to bed rn. Just thought I'd post this for posterity anyway before I forget.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
New ThoughtSlime series about the history and descriptions of fascists groups starting with the Proud Boys (26 min):

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Might be useless to hope but I pray that any remnants or recurrences of flat earth are roundly snuffed by the existence of these videos.

Wait...are they really named for a cut song in Aladdin?
I can actually believe that extra bit of stupidity on top of the cereal jump in & no masturbation shit (I don't believe they do this in all honesty or at least most say they do it while watching cuckold porn behind closed doors)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay yeah McInnes heard his daughter sing the song at a school version of the Aladdin play and got upset because the song "was apologizing for being a man"

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Might be useless to hope but I pray that any remnants or recurrences of flat earth are roundly snuffed by the existence of these videos.

Flat Earth exists largely to reaffirm pre-existing ideas that the truth of the world is obscured to us by a mysterious illuminati, not that they actually scientifically believe the Earth is flat.