• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for criticizing Peter Coffin; I used to be a patron, but finally stopped supporting him today after a) this latest Twitter debacle - there is no justifying GamerGate, come on -, b) I grew tired of his terrible writing skills. He just cannot get a point across clearly and concisely. His videos are either tiring or boring as a result.

With regards to the fake girlfriend story specifically, he made one video about the subject some time ago (he mentions the Gawker article). I honestly can't remember it very well, and I can't position myself for or against him on that front, but it might be worth checking that video out to at least hear his side of the story. Beyond that, I really don't care much at this point. You have to trudge through so much incomprehensible drivel to get to his one or two interesting points - mainly, the notion of social capital - that I can't bother anymore.

In other news, Knowing Better is at it again with Christopher Columbus. The tl;dr is that he made a video about CC 2 years ago, in an attempt to bring a nuanced/moderate/neutral view of the guy - yeah, I know, as if CC was a nuanced character lol. Recently, BadEmpanada made a long response to that video, pointing out all the facts KB got wrong, and correcting the historical inaccuracies to show just how much of a piece of shit CC was even judging by the standards of his time - even his peers thought he was too enthusiastic about slave trade lol. KB initially acknowledged the video and linked to it, though he ended up saying he basically didn't want to have anything to do with BadEmpanada from now on.

It should have been left at that. Yet, fast forward to the last couple days, where, for some reason, KB made another video about Columbus where, in my opinion, he very awkwardly tries to address the problems in his initial video. It comes off more as an attempt to justify himself and an inability to just admit he was wrong. BadEmpanada promptly responded with a video where he basically says as much.

Anyway, it's disappointing. KB isn't my favorite YouTuber or anything, but I genuinely like him, and I think he's alright. However, this drama just makes him look like he's still trapped in the liberal/centrist mind prison when it comes to Columbus for whatever reason.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Th
I'm all for criticizing Peter Coffin; I used to be a patron, but finally stopped supporting him today after a) this latest Twitter debacle - there is no justifying GamerGate, come on -, b) I grew tired of his terrible writing skills. He just cannot get a point across clearly and concisely. His videos are either tiring or boring as a result.

With regards to the fake girlfriend story specifically, he made one video about the subject some time ago (he mentions the Gawker article). I honestly can't remember it very well, and I can't position myself for or against him on that front, but it might be worth checking that video out to at least hear his side of the story. Beyond that, I really don't care much at this point. You have to trudge through so much incomprehensible drivel to get to his one or two interesting points - mainly, the notion of social capital - that I can't bother anymore.

In other news, Knowing Better is at it again with Christopher Columbus. The tl;dr is that he made a video about CC 2 years ago, in an attempt to bring a nuanced/moderate/neutral view of the guy - yeah, I know, as if CC was a nuanced character lol. Recently, BadEmpanada made a long response to that video, pointing out all the facts KB got wrong, and correcting the historical inaccuracies to show just how much of a piece of shit CC was even judging by the standards of his time - even his peers thought he was too enthusiastic about slave trade lol. KB initially acknowledged the video and linked to it, though he ended up saying he basically didn't want to have anything to do with BadEmpanada from now on.

It should have been left at that. Yet, fast forward to the last couple days, where, for some reason, KB made another video about Columbus where, in my opinion, he very awkwardly tries to address the problems in his initial video. It comes off more as an attempt to justify himself and an inability to just admit he was wrong. BadEmpanada promptly responded with a video where he basically says as much.

Anyway, it's disappointing. KB isn't my favorite YouTuber or anything, but I genuinely like him, and I think he's alright. However, this drama just makes him look like he's still trapped in the liberal/centrist mind prison when it comes to Columbus for whatever reason.
I didn't know the Columbus thing went even further

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was never a patron for Peter but this latest series of tweets definitely makes me wanna unsub him on YT. I did like some of his ideas pf social capital and attention currency.

Now that people remind me of the fake girlfriend thing and rereading that mess... it dawns on me that he might have some kind of chip on his shoulder about "feminism" that colors his recent twitter takes

Last edited:

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017

He waffles on and on and you reach the end of the video and don't have a clue what he was even trying to say. Truth is he's saying nothing.

Also, BadEmpanada defo deserves more love in this thread.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I sure am glad "intersectional" has been co-opted to describe fucking GamerGate.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Peter Coffin was VERY bigoted and edgy in the past, not just that fake girlfriend debacle but also his own podcast a few years ago where he hates independent women and made jokes about autistic kids. He tried to nuke all his old failed comedian stuff and videos and rebranded himself as a leftie Youtuber™ but his true nature of attention seeking (ironic when he goes on and on about attention currency) shows up time to time in how he interacts with others IRL. Also evident in how he enjoys himself some buzzword salad on Twitter and being self-indulgent ("very important docs", overly long videos). He's a grifter.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Carlos Maza from those Vox videos about Fox News is going independent and starting a patreon, and even the simple announcement/introduction video is pretty entertaining. He describes it as "Contrapoints with no confidence" and "PhilosophyTube with no upper body strength", and it really does kinda seem like it's in that same genre of whatever you'd call it.

Last edited:

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Good I like his videos, hope he brings something new

The top YT recommendation for his video is his guy claiming that he was forced out at Vox harassing people ... I was like WTF? Oh wait there's a Trump-Pence thing in the background of that video

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Always enjoyed Maza's work on Vox so i'm hoping it all works out for them.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated: Sorry if I ask here, I don't know what is the proper channel and something is telling me that I will have my answer here...

Why are Skill Up videoes banned on this board? Is he a bad guy? Do I need to unsub?

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of love watching people go on Rubin and realize what an intellectual black hole he is. The no-thought zone I swear to fucking god.
Sam Seder made a good point about how Rubin is sitting across from his supposed idol and is literally struggling to say anything. No wonder King took a phone call during the taping.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
New ContraPoints video has been up for 8 hours and doesn't appear to have been posted to Era yet. Is her content no longer allowed?

Anyways, I haven't seen it yet but for anyone who's interested:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
New ContraPoints video has been up for 8 hours and doesn't appear to have been posted to Era yet. Is her content no longer allowed?

Anyways, I haven't seen it yet but for anyone who's interested:

Ever since the whole Buck Angel scandal, people have been rightly side-eyeing her content. No separate thread for this video should tell you quite a lot.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally pretty much done with Condrapoints after how she handled the Buck Angel thing. It soured me pretty hard on Breadtube in general after so many of them decided to circle the wagon and demonize anyone critical toward her decision to include Buck. It's kinda telling that this happened only a month or two after one of the only POC breadtubers I knew of at the time said they were no longer going to consider themselves as part of breadtube because it's too much of a clique that's way too built up around only a few figures and isn't friendly toward the less recognized faces within it.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
And the new Contra has less than 200K views atm ... very low numbers :(
I'm currently at work, will watch later

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Yeah the "I'll just focus on all the hate I got to avoid addressing any legit criticism presented to me" really threw me off Contrapoint.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
And the new Contra has less than 200K views atm ... very low numbers :(
I'm currently at work, will watch later
It is a pretty self-indulgent video but has a few interesting points. She acknowledges towards the end most viewers won't see her coming out as a lesbian as being noteworthy but I mean, yeah.

But hey, if it helps her work through some things then good on her.

Also Renegade Cut needs more love. Hardest working man on Left Tube for the past year.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Watched Contra. It's very personal and I recognized myself in it some. It covers how her life fell apart around the time of Opulence, while she doesn't say it out loud I read it an an explanation of that point in time and doesn't excuse her actions. I'd say give it a chance but I get why you wouldn't.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there are quite a few leftist youtubers who have fallen out of favor recently.

Who do you all still like?
I'm still subbed to lots of them. I tend to be able to keep in mind that problematic people can still make good point in regards to other things. So unless their issues start to creep into enough of their videos, I can keep the sub. I understand why other people have a lower tolerance though.

Lately, Bad Empanada is a very noteworthy person providing good Leftist insights from Latin America

Oct 26, 2017
Some More News, Sam Seder and his crew, Renegade Cut, Thought Slime.

If anyone has any recommendations for me that'd be great. My list is looking very cis-male centric.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In no particular order, I like:

ThoughtSlime
Renegade Cut
Shaun
Bad Empanada (+ his second channel, Empanada Report)
Pop Culture Detective (though they rarely upload)
Jack Saint
korviday
Cass Eris
Three Arrows
Even hbomberguy I'm still mostly fine with

And, when it comes to more traditional/TV-style shows:
The Majority Report
The Michael Brooks Show
The Hill every now and then too, but only the Krystal Ball segments. Don't care for the rest.

Really, most of them are still decent-to-great in my book. It's just that the ones who've disappointed are also the most prominent ones and/or are friends with each other, which doesn't help: ContraPoints, PhilosophyTube, Lindsay Ellis, Peter Coffin are all YouTubers I've unsubscribed from or won't necessarily watch every time they upload; I am now much more critical towards them. Also, I've completely dropped Knowing Better due to the whole Columbus debacle. He just can't be trusted to do his homework or streer clear from centrism. On the plus side, that put BadEmpanada on my radar.

[EDIT]
UnpopularBlargh : of the ones I cited:
korviday is a trans man, Cass Eris and Krystal Ball are cis women. They're all white though, which is a shame.

I hesitate to recommend Kat Blaque because she's a bit too rambly for my taste, and her Patreon feed is kinda annoying. But she still has an interesting perspective as a black trans woman who's been doing YouTuber for longer than pretty much any other leftist YouTuber. Also, she talks a lot about love and relationships, so that sets her apart from most others. So if that's your jam, you might want to give her a shot.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

ThoughtSlime
Renegade Cut
Shaun
Jack Saint
korviday
Cass Eris
Three Arrows

The Majority Report
The Michael Brooks Show
The Hill every now and then too, but only the Krystal Ball segments. Don't care for the rest.

Really, most of them are still decent-to-great in my book. It's just that the ones who've disappointed are also the most prominent ones and/or are friends with each other, which doesn't help: ContraPoints, PhilosophyTube, Lindsay Ellis, Peter Coffin are all YouTubers I've unsubscribed from or won't necessarily watch every time they upload; I am now much more critical towards them. Also, I've completely dropped Knowing Better due to the whole Columbus debacle. He just can't be trusted to do his homework or streer clear from centrism. On the plus side, that put BadEmpanada on my radar.

[EDIT]
korviday is a trans man, Cass Eris and Krystal Ball are cis women. They're all white though, which is a shame.

I hesitate to recommend Kat Blaque because she's a bit too rambly for my taste, and her Patreon feed is kinda annoying. But she still has an interesting perspective as a black trans woman who's been doing YouTuber for longer than pretty much any other leftist YouTuber. Also, she talks a lot about love and relationships, so that sets her apart from most others. So if that's your jam, you might want to give her a shot.
Awesome thanks.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada

ThoughtSlime
Renegade Cut
Shaun
Jack Saint
korviday
Cass Eris
Three Arrows

The Majority Report
The Michael Brooks Show

[EDIT]

Mostly fine? Did Hbomberguy do something recently? Haven't heard about him in a while.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Not a new video, but I only just discovered the guy and it's a video about a subject I'm into. Haven't seen his other videos yet, but since we're talking non-white creators - he's from New Zealand and might have an interesting perspective on things (his other titles seem interesting at least).