• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I've been watching Moviebob's stuff for a while, I don't think he's very controversial (not in any way that I can think of specifically, at least). He doesn't majorly focus on politics, he mostly just takes the occasional potshot at Trump/the Alt-right. He's closer to a Lindsay Ellis type, but not as detailed and not as political with his longer form essays. His movie reviews are pretty short.

His views on nerd culture are pretty liberal, which ostracized him a lot of the time while he worked at TheEscapist back in the day.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only controversial thing about moviebob I can think of is he thinks that Tobey Maguire Spider-Man will literally never be topped

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Anyways, what's controversial about Moviebob? I haven't really seen his content.

From all the content I've seen of his? Nothing! He seems to do and say the same things a lot of out and out Liberal/Leftist Youtubers do. But Bob himself I don't think would openly embrace the "Left" label, as he outlines in this blog post a while back

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2012/10/politics-clarified.html

Basically he only votes Democrat/Liberal because he believes it is the best path for humanity in general going forward, but specifically for him. He claims not to buy into what he calls the "'one big happy human family' liberal piety", holding that the reason he supports things like environmentalism and "saftey net" social prgrams "isn't based on emotion or philosophy, but once again on LOGIC: It makes more sense to help others, within reason, than to not help others."

Here's a longer quote about what he's talking about:
Having explained why I don't subscribe to "liberal" ideology, let me now explain why I reject "conservative" ideology as well. While I'm accepting of Natural Selection and a chaotic universe, I'm also accepting of reality. And in reality, the baseline right-wing approach to society of removing "Safety Net" social programs in order to let Survival of The Fittest do it's thing just doesn't work out. Even if you were cold and inhuman enough to cut the disadvantaged, undereducated, homeless, mentally-unwell, etc loose from help to fend for themselves... it's not going to "work." These people will not simply "die off" or "disappear," the species is too resilient for that. They will survive, they will "organize" in one form or another, and they'll likely exact a certain amount of payback upon those who decided to cut them loose... which they will deserve. Hence, this is another illustration of why I tend to vote for liberals even though I find "liberalism" fairly foolish: Since a "third option" does not exist, I would rather pay the comparitively SMALL price in taxes it costs to provide the chronically-disadvantaged with basic needs and even methods of mobility out of their disadvantage than pay the much HIGHER cost (in multiple sense of the word) of containing or "putting down" (with all the nightmarish and amoral conotations that word conjures) a 21st Century version of the French Revolution.

That's...not the rationale I would expect from someone part of the Left to give for why they believe Welfare is a good thing. He has also had this to say about democracy and voting

The days when voting and political engagement in general required a greater investment of time, intellect and effort may having been taxing in their own way, but at least it helped keep those too dumb and/or unengaged to bother being involved from getting involved and mucking things up. Today, thanks to the internet and cable news, the uninformed are now JUST informed enough to show up and vote the way Sean Hannity tells them to...
Case in point: Not everything should be up for a vote. The most obvious example here is the current fascination with putting gay marriage and other equality issues up for a popular vote, but I can only assume that anyone who's read this far "gets" how asinine and awful that is. I'm thinking more about things like science, technology or environmental policy: Things that simply aren't a matter of opinion - science either works or it doesn't - shouldn't be decided by opinion and definitely shouldn't be decided by people who don't actually "get" what they are voting on. Why do we put politicians in charge of these things when we know they are susceptible to their constituencies over the facts and that they cannot be trusted to fully grasp...

This quote in particular is the one that I imagine would make people turn their heads

There are a lot of things I agree with Republicans and/or the political "Right" about. On balance, probably moreso than Democrats. But they are all of lesser importance, to me, than the solidifying of a secular, science-focused, reason-based America for the future. An America that is still wringing it's hands over whether a petri dish has a "soul" a generation from now is an American that doesn't matter a generation from now. So long as "the religious right" exists and so long as they can exercise a SLIVER of power over the GOP, I have to oppose at all levels on all fronts (politically.)

Aaaand this one

Libertarians are good people, by and large. I pretty-much like all the flavors, from the committed "realist Right" to the "we just want legal weed" College dudes to the "we want a label but Dems and Reps are just too mainstream" poli-hipsters. But apart from their useful function in siphoning away votes from Republicans and ensuring Democrat victories in certain races... I don't think it's that practical of an ideology. "Small government" is a nice ideal, but in the practical reality of the real world right now a strong, central and activist government is the only way I can see to implement and solidify the long overdue transformations that this country needs in a timeframe that will keep it strong and competitive into the future. Also, it lends itself too handily to weak-minded conspiracy-fetishists

So yeah, he acts and says everything a more traditional Liberal/Leftist Youtuber would, but these beliefs are pretty, uh, unique if that's the case. However, this blog post was made back in 2012, so it's perfectly possible that his beliefs have matured or gone farther left since then, but I haven't found anything equivalent declaring his politics since then, soooo

I'd still say he qualifies simply for being anti-GG, anti-Alt-Right, anti-Trump, etc.

EDIT: Here's a link for that Matrix video of his that I talked about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGopT-KNvlM

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That post is from 2012 so I would take it with a grain of salt, but its also a bit difficult to get a comprehensive read on him these days. Basically from his Twitter I'd say MovieBob pretty firmly:
1. Despises white supremacy and misogyny on a very deep ideological level. Not just because they are violent but because he's a true believer in the strengths and benefits of open, multicultural societies
2. Is very vocal about Trump voters basically deserving whatever happens to them. If you read closely enough he does seem to really just mean Trump voters, but this often extends to generalizations about entire regions of the country, and this seems to mostly stem from point 1 above. He hates that white rural and suburban voters are actively trying to fuck things up for urban diverse people

3. Is pretty firmly in the camp of modern "Democrats" at least, I think he waffles way less now than he seems to in that blog post
4. Really really dislikes "the dirtbag left", based largely I think on how friends of his have become targets of their ire. I'm guessing pretty much all of his exposure to them is them being jerks to people he likes, and this leads him to make snarky comments about "the far left" in general.

I'd say he's a pretty staunch progressive ally, but I wouldn't look to him to ever be a leader. His media criticism is pretty much always on point though

Last edited:
OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From all the content I've seen of his? Nothing! He seems to do and say the same things a lot of out and out Liberal/Leftist Youtubers do. But Bob himself I don't think would openly embrace the "Left" label, as he outlines in this blog post a while back

So yeah, he acts and says everything a more traditional Liberal/Leftist Youtuber would, but these beliefs are pretty, uh, unique if that's the case. However, this blog post was made back in 2012, so it's perfectly possible that his beliefs have matured or gone farther left since then, but I haven't found anything equivalent declaring his politics since then, soooo

I'd still say he qualifies simply for being anti-GG, anti-Alt-Right, anti-Trump, etc.

EDIT: Here's a link for that Matrix video of his that I talked about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGopT-KNvlM

I mean, I don't entirely agree with him, but he has an interest mindset on a few things. He also seems to be a fairly popular content producer with progressive vibes, that's probably enough. I don't think the title of this thread is all that reflective of a bunch of the folks in here anyways.

Also, I'll check out the Matrix video later, it sounds interesting.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
MovieBob's Pink is Not the Problem is still one of the best sub-10 minute video essays I've ever seen, and I would encourage everyone to watch it right now if you haven't before. Its seriously 7 minutes long and its such an incredibly dense piece of work that has stuck with me ever since I first saw it

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That post is from 2012 so I would take it with a grain of salt, but its also a bit difficult to get a comprehensive read on him these days. Basically from his Twitter I'd say MovieBob pretty firmly:
1. Despises white supremacy and misogyny on a very deep ideological level. Not just because they are violent but because he's a true believer in the strengths and benefits of open, multicultural societies
2. Is very vocal about Trump voters basically deserving whatever happens to them. If you read closely enough he does seem to really just mean Trump voters, but this often extends to generalizations about entire regions of the country, and this seems to mostly stem from point 1 above. He hates that white rural and suburban voters are actively trying to fuck things up for urban diverse people

3. Is pretty firmly in the camp of modern "Democrats" at least, I think he waffles way less now than he seems to in that blog post
4. Really really dislikes "the dirtbag left", based largely I think on how friends of his have become targets of their ire. I'm guessing pretty much all of his exposure to them is them being jerks to people he likes, and this leads him to make snarky comments about "the far left" in general.

I'd say he's a pretty staunch progressive ally, but I wouldn't look to him to ever be a leader. His media criticism is pretty much always on point though

I'd say that's a very fair take, having looked at his Twitter as well.

Also, that Pink is not the Problem video is great. Would fit well in the OP.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
lo
Anita? She literally would cut my balls off given the chance. And thats exactly how she comes off to me... Not very welcoming. And yes a bit crazy... I will check out Lindsay.
l what

are you saying she's OOOH SCARY feminist?

Heh good ol ERA, hard to tell this was a bit ago, I see you guys have the sitch handled

AN-yway, I've been watching a lot of videos on here and they're pretty inspiring and/or hilarious because it's easy to point out how lazy the altright or others with bad ideas are being just for clicks or views.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks.
Only knew hbomb and David Pakman out of the people from the list, big fan of both.
Definitely gonna binge ContraPoints later.

+1 for Xexizy - his earlier videos are kind of rough, but he puts out good stuff recently.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xexizy is from /leftypol/ eh? Really funny crowd of people over there. I believe he was in a political debate with Sargon a while back.

I'll check out his more recent videos though, thanks.

AN-yway, I've been watching a lot of videos on here and they're pretty inspiring and/or hilarious because it's easy to point out how lazy the altright or others with bad ideas are being just for clicks or views.
Awesome, and yea a lot of the more comedic videos are super easy to binge through.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of examples of Extra Credits' content:

(starts out mostly about civil liberties and authoritarianism but later also comments on the disturbing racial aspect)

I think I said this before, but in addition to the content of their videos, I really like how they put in the effort to make their little cartoon characters diverse and inclusive.

edit:

Oh! They also did a really good perspective on the Tracer butt pose controversy from a design perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLkVtqjf1A

Last edited:
OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm gunna pass out, I'll add extra-credits and Xexizy to the OP tomorrow.

wandering I just finished Night in the Woods yesterday, that game is legendary. Some pretty relevant political discourse that really caught me off-guard.
I'd put it along side the best titles I've played this year, Nier, Persona, Yakuza etc.
Also if you write a blurb for extra credits that would be lit.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gunna pass out, I'll add extra-credits and Xexizy to the OP tomorrow.

wandering I just finished Night in the Woods yesterday, that game is legendary. Some pretty relevant political discourse that really caught me off-guard.
I'd put it along side the best titles I've played this year, Nier, Persona, Yakuza etc.
Also if you write a blurb for extra credits that would be lit.

Night in the Woods is honestly my GOTY, such an incredibly affecting experience.

For a blurb, how about this:

"Extra Credits provides insightful yet concise commentary on game design and the context of the games industry from a progressive point of view with a commitment to the values of diversity and inclusivity and an emphasis on the responsibility of games to take seriously the way they interact with culture and society. Also with a bonus educational series on world history!"

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Yeah, Extra Credits is good stuff, I'm also a fan of their history series.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is having a debate right now talking about trans rights, and how Trump is a threat to LGBT-rights. It's a big shit show.

https://www.twitch.tv/destiny

WOW. (edit: Am I the only one having problems embedding GIFs from giphy.com?)
giphy.gif

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway

They have now moved to FGM and the caller is desperately trying to find proof that muslims are trying to push a secret shadow agenda to implement FGM in USA and Canada. Meantime Destiny is sitting there putting on elevator music while he's waiting for her trying to find evidence.

Dying of laughter here.

Last edited:

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss something? From the few times I stumbled upon his content, I remember Destiny being a casually bigoted edgelord. Did he suddenly turn into an articulate adult or have I been reading him wrong? He seemed like the last person to ever defend sharia law to me.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Did I miss something? From the few times I stumbled upon his content, I remember Destiny being a casually bigoted edgelord. Did he suddenly turn into an articulate adult or have I been reading him wrong? He seemed like the last person to ever defend sharia law to me.

You should check out his debates listed in the first page, he have plenty debating alt-right and conservatives. He is edgy, but has changed a lot of his views from his earlier days, he is very open talking about that.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They have now moved to FGM and the caller is desperately trying to find proof that muslims are secretly trying to push a secret shadow agenda to implement FGM in USA and Canada. Meantime Destiny is sitting there putting on elevator music while he's waiting for her trying to find evidence.

Dying of laughter here.

Oh I stopped watching when the FGM thing started and she was saying how that one woman was publicly against it but secretly supported it behind everyone's back

Like okay

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This girl (in Destiny's live debate) knows nothing about Bill C16. I'm so tired of hearing this Peterson-fed bullshit on this bill.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best explanation of BILL C 16, if Steven Bonnell II is reading (or for future use):
http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

Bill C-16 does three things:
First – It adds the words "gender identity or expression" to the Canadian Human Rights Code. This will prevent the federal government and businesses within federal jurisdiction – like banks – from discriminating on the basis of gender identity and gender expression.

The second thing that the Bill does is add the words "gender identity or expression" to two sections of the Criminal Code. So surely this must be what Peterson is getting at? Criminalizing something? Well, lets take a closer look. It will add the words "gender identity and expression" to section 318(4) of the Code, which defines an identifiable group for the purposes of "advocating genocide" and "the public incitement hatred" It joins colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or mental or physical disability.

Finally, Bill C-16 also adds "gender identity and expression" to section 718.2(a)(i) of the Criminal Code dealing with sentencing for hate crimes. The provision provides that evidence that an offence is motivated by bias, prejudice or hate can be taken into account by courts in sentencing. The list already includes race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation or any other similar factor.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
lmao @ invoking 1984.

Is there something like godwin's law, but for people bringing up false interpretations of that book?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This girl (in Destiny's live debate) knows nothing about Bill C16. I'm so tired of hearing this Peterson-fed bullshit on this bill.

Thanks for the breakdown. Isn't that just the way with person after person? Someone else has done the work to make this small jump in reducing the fear of the gender binary seem like a totalitarian overreach for power through deliberate misinformation. Set it out on YouTube or Twitter for someone to bite. And they do. The frustrating part is that all this fear and blind belief in fascist minorities coming to change the world into a PC dictatorship comes from the fact that someone got pissed that they had to hear the word "pronoun" one too many times outside of grammar class.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Bill C-16 is like 4 paragraphs.

Canadian Human Rights Act
1998, c. 9, s. 9; 2012, c. 1, s. 137(E)
1 Section 2 of the Canadian Human Rights Act is replaced by the following:
Purpose
2 The purpose of this Act is to extend the laws in Canada to give effect, within the purview of matters coming within the legislative authority of Parliament, to the principle that all individuals should have an opportunity equal with other individuals to make for themselves the lives that they are able and wish to have and to have their needs accommodated, consistent with their duties and obligations as members of society, without being hindered in or prevented from doing so by discriminatory practices based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability or conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.
1996, c. 14, s. 2; 2012, c. 1, s. 138(E)
2 Subsection 3(1) of the Act is replaced by the following:
Prohibited grounds of discrimination
3 (1) For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or in respect of which a record suspension has been ordered.
R.‍S.‍, c. C-46
Criminal Code
2014, c. 31, s. 12
3 Subsection 318(4) of the Criminal Code is replaced by the following:
Definition of identifiable group
(4) In this section, identifiable group means any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or mental or physical disability.
1995, c. 22, s. 6
4 Subparagraph 718.‍2(a)‍(i) of the Act is replaced by the following:
(i) evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on race, national or ethnic origin, language, colour, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression, or on any other similar factor,

Edit: This Assad stuff though...

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This. So much fucking this. I'm so tired of the same people spouting the same false talking points with no comprehension of even the basic elements of the actual bill.

Thanks for the breakdown. Isn't that just the way with person after person? Someone else has done the work to make this small jump in reducing the fear of the gender binary seem like a totalitarian overreach for power through deliberate misinformation. Set it out on YouTube or Twitter for someone to bite. And they do. The frustrating part is that all this fear and blind belief in fascist minorities coming to change the world into a PC dictatorship comes from the fact that someone got pissed that they had to hear the word "pronoun" one too many times outside of grammar class.

Yup. Lauren Southern brought it up... I think BuntyKing brought it up... others bring it up all the time... and every time, they completely misrepresent what it's actually about. Most of the time, this feeds back to something Peterson said about it, instead of doing their own goddamn research and seeing what's actually there.

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Lauren Southern brought it up... I think BuntyKing brought it up... others bring it up all the time... and every time, they completely misrepresent what it's actually about. Most of the time, this feeds back to something Peterson said about it, instead of doing their own goddamn research and seeing what's actually there.
Yup. It's very similar to how the right wing news cycle works in the US. Fox and Friends say some random crap. Trump tweets that random crap. Other right wing media pick up that right wing crap and so forth.

Also I find it odd how so many so-called online skeptics/rationalists (Dave Rubin, Sam Harris, Sargon etc) promote Peterson. If he was Muslim they would've tarred and feathered him already.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Destiny has a short video on how the skeptics misinterpret the bill.

Lol he was 100% done. I don't blame him for being angry when centrists or """liberals""" fall for such unrealistic bullshit. Slavery actually happened. The Holocaust actually happened. Japanese internment, the genocide of indigenous Americans, Jim Crow actually all happened. White supremacy has violently rocked history with actual tangible oppression and robbing human rights. Yet somehow, in the minds of some people, the more realistic and tangible threat is the PC gestapo dragging you off to jail because you've misgendered someone. Like you really have to scratch your head and wonder where to even begin educating someone who is starting from such an insanely warped perspective.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Lol he was 100% done. I don't blame him for being angry when centrists or """liberals""" fall for such unrealistic bullshit. Slavery actually happened. The Holocaust actually happened. Japanese internment, the genocide of indigenous Americans, Jim Crow actually all happened. White supremacy has violently rocked history with actual tangible oppression and robbing human rights. Yet somehow, in the minds of some people, the more realistic and tangible threat is the PC gestapo dragging you off to jail because you've misgendered someone. Like you really have to scratch your head and wonder where to even begin educating someone who is starting from such an insanely warped perspective.

It's the fear that one day these people will treat us the way we treated them.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's the fear that one day these people will treat us the way we treated them.
Ah you're right. That's the rub. Their own lack of empathy for the marginalized clouds their vision. They know the truth about how ruthlessly minorities have been treated throughout history and can't fathom that black peoples, LGBTQ+ peoples, women, the differently abled and on are fueled by a desire for equality and peace rather than revenge. Sad and pitiful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, looks like I missed a Destiny debate. Was it any good?

Night in the Woods is honestly my GOTY, such an incredibly affecting experience.

For a blurb, how about this:

"Extra Credits provides insightful yet concise commentary on game design and the context of the games industry from a progressive point of view with a commitment to the values of diversity and inclusivity and an emphasis on the responsibility of games to take seriously the way they interact with culture and society. Also with a bonus educational series on world history!"
Thanks bud added it.
And yea, if this year wasn't so crazy I could easily see Night in the Woods being my GOTY. Think I'm going to go back and see how much I missed with a re-play.

-
So is Xexizy the best Marxist representative on Youtube? There was also that Badmouse dude people were talking about.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, looks like I missed a Destiny debate. Was it any good?

Thanks bud added it.
And yea, if this year wasn't so crazy I could easily see Night in the Woods being my GOTY. Think I'm going to go back and see how much I missed with a re-play.

-
So is Xexizy the best Marxist representative on Youtube? There was also that Badmouse dude people were talking about.
There's Also this girl i haven't watched much
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCepkun0sH16b-mqxBN22ogA
I think she's a canadian with major in sociology

I dont know much english speakers marxists youtubers

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Badmouse is on break and is just vaguely leftist or socialist now, he doesn't subscribe to any particular ideology apart from being anti-capitalist. Xexizy is definitely the most traditional Marxist you'll find on YouTube, although he was or used to be anti-idpol which might not jive with some people.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Anita? She literally would cut my balls off given the chance. And thats exactly how she comes off to me... Not very welcoming. And yes a bit crazy... I will check out Lindsay.
In what universe would she do anything like that? Your comment comes off as far crazier & more hostile than anything Anita has ever done or said. Like, please watch this video from her and describe how she comes off at all like she's crazy, cut-balls-off man-hating feminazi like you imply?

https://youtu.be/0PtkxHoga78

That's some well argued, well-rounded video that doesn't vilify anyone.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Badmouse is on break and is just vaguely leftist or socialist now, he doesn't subscribe to any particular ideology apart from being anti-capitalist. Xexizy is definitely the most traditional Marxist you'll find on YouTube, although he was or used to be anti-idpol which might not jive with some people.
I think he used to be