• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have time to do anything but skim the OP and bookmark it for later.

All of my favorites already represented and a ton I've yet to discover, so great job OP!

I also wanted to post to remind & encourage everyone to donate/subscribe to Patreon for these creators if you can!

Watching and spreading the word is obviously vital to their success, but I very much believe people should be able to make a living making good content, so do support them if/when you can.

Timothy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random musings

- David Pakman is great. His interviews are terrific and he knows how to not go stay focused and really get an answer out of them.

- That Destiny debate with Lauren Southern really showed me the 21 year old college drop out that she was. She was laughly bad. Destiny is a very good debater.

- Inneundo Studios and Folding Ideas are notification worthy

kansai_mish

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
^ Yeah, he's really good at interviewing and getting down to the points that actually matter.

I watch his videos daily when getting ready for work =) Really, liked his recent video on IQ.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the right up.

I remember both Dick Coughlan and ContaPoints from the Atheist community on youtube before that went into the shitter. Both were good people among the cesspool of trash that was the atheist community so I'll check both of them out again. Had no idea that Contapoints was trans. I always that she would end up being a professor or something academic but cool to see that she's still doing the youtube thing after all of these years.

I think it has to be pointed out that David Pakman's stance on Israel/Palestine is more than a little problematic. He's pretty good on every other issue besides that one tho.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First of all, thanks for this thread this is my new home.

Second of all I'll do that write-up for Ellis, I've been following her for like 10 years now

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I remember both Dick Coughlan and ContaPoints from the Atheist community on youtube before that went into the shitter. Both were good people among the cesspool of trash that was the atheist community so I'll check both of them out again. Had no idea that Contapoints was trans. I always that she would end up being a professor or something academic but cool to see that she's still doing the youtube thing after all of these years.

I think it has to be pointed out that David Pakman's stance on Israel/Palestine is more than a little problematic. He's pretty good on every other issue besides that one tho.
Yea Contra is great, only found her a few months back, but yea I heard she's was involved back in the old atheist Youtube stuff.
And I'll note the Israel/Palestine thing in Pakman's post.

First of all, thanks for this thread this is my new home.

Second of all I'll do that write-up for Ellis, I've been following her for like 10 years now

Thanks yo.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Glad to see both the Majority report and TMBS listed here. They are woefully under appreciated shows with sharp, policy based commentary. I hate seeing them overlooked by leftists online, as I think they provide one of the most level headed analyses of politics and the actual procedural realities that define it. I think pragmatically covering policy, strategy, and organization matter a lot more than the rhetoric or ever shifting positions of global politics. I wish fellow leftists would give the show a listen and stop getting so fixated on personalities and keyboard wars. MR covers American and international politics with a fine toothed comb and comedy, while avoiding many of the philosophical traps that other lefty shows seem prone to.

Oct 25, 2017
gogosox82 , when you say David Pakman has a problematic view regarding Israel/Palestine, do you mean that he is straight up pro-Netanyahu, or is it more that he criticizes/condemns Netanyahu but is still Pro-Israel, because if its the latter I can see some nuanced ways in which one could have a decent Anti-Netanyahu/Anti-Israeli-Far-Right/Pro-Israel stance?

I don't want to turn this thread here into a debate on Israel though so I'll PM you my explanation on how that's possible IF it's the latter.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
New Contra video and again just from a visual aspect, it is amazing. Going to rewatch it later before I give my opinion.

Edit: My ramble thoughts on violence.
As someone who loves playing violent video games and watching violent media, it gave me some food for thought on how that changes for me when it enters the real world. While watching the Punisher, I was rooting for him all the way, his acts of violence, murder, torture were in my eyes justified so I rooted for him. Justified violence, revenge plotlines feel so good.
Now to bring this into the real world, Richard Spencer getting punched. Seeing that garbage POS getting punched felt good, felt right. But at the same time I couldnt morally justify it, I couldnt bring myself to agree with everyone on Twitter saying this is how we need to handle these people. However I couldnt help think that what if we were to just target everyone in the alt-right, shut them down violently, make them scared to speak, this is probably the most effiecient/effective way to deal with it if everything goes smoothly, but it probably isnt the right way morally.
In the end I like violence when in my eyes it is justified but it probably isnt the morally righteous way to deal with people like Richard Spencer. If someone goes to beat up Spencer in front of me, I'll probably stop it the person after the punch connects.

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really worried about Contra, her heavy drinking might be part of her schitck but it can't be great for her liver.

Great and disturbing episode, nice change of pace from the usual topics.

Really strange since I discovered her work after she transitioned and going through her vids in reverse is mindbending.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the right up.

Afaik contra did become a philosophy teacher at some uni and then decided it wasn't for her.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I started watching contra after this vídeo, she's genial
Meet Fritz
C5xusFkXQAAFSrJ.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watch Secular Talk every single day. Great stuff. I'd watch TYT, but they're so goddamn annoying.

So can we say everyone not mentioned here is an Alt-Right YouTuber?
Stop this. It waters the word down. Are here a bunch of dumb fuck people on YouTube? Absolutely. But stop diminishing the severity of what "alt-right" is with too big a paint brush.

JonTron is alt-right AF though

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Stop this. It waters the word down. Are here a bunch of dumb fuck people on YouTube? Absolutely. But stop diminishing the severity of what "alt-right" is with too big a paint brush.

JonTron is alt-right AF though

Uh, I'm pretty sure that poster is straw-manning us.
I think they are mad as they believe we are creating a safe space, with a censored list of channels. Also I used Alt-right in the OP somewhere.
Thanks for taking Ellis. Sorry I never delivered on that, you guys.
Don't worry about it, haha.
I started watching contra after this vídeo, she's genial
Yes! Really glad to hear that people are finding these folks via this thread.

-
Also Shaun just uploaded a new video on Cuphead and the manufactured outrage that led up to it's release. It's probably slightly political.

Cuphead: The Fake Outrage

Last edited:

Neato

Nov 17, 2017
I just watched the cup-head video and it is extremely good. He doesn't get into gamer gate but that outrage culture born from resentment towards game critics' opinions not being in lock step with theirs is at the very core of the last 3 years of gaming discourse.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I'm pretty sure that poster is straw-manning us.
I think they are mad as they believe we are creating a safe space, with a censored list of channels. Also I used Alt-right in the OP somewhere.

Don't worry about it, haha.

Yes! Really glad to hear that people are finding these folks via this thread.

-
Also Shaun just uploaded a new video on Cuphead and the manufactured outrage that led up to it's release. It's probably slightly political.

Cuphead: The Fake Outrage

Wait there was a cuphead outrage I thought it was going to be about the journalist who sucked at it but then again I'm not plugged in to the gaming news anymore

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just watched the cup-head video and it is extremely good. He doesn't get into gamer gate but that outrage culture born from resentment towards game critics' opinions not being in lock step with theirs is at the very core of the last 3 years of gaming discourse.
Yea, I just finished the video myself. Quite enjoyed it, he really does a great job highlighting the disingenuous obsession with and response to games journalism. I appreciated his point on how these folks absolutely refuse to tolerate the kind of criticism that comes hand in hand with any other established art form.

Anyways, if you haven't seen any other Shaun content, I'd recommend the the videos in the OP, but you could also check out his videos on the far-right manufacturing of news stories. Quite similar to the Cuphead video, but on a more serious scale.
-Outrage News
-Quebec Mosque Shooting: Manufacturing a Conspiracy

oddity

Oct 27, 2017
Shaun's videos really help me maintain my sanity lol. I think the point in the Cuphead video about manufacturing an ambiguous other to outrage against is a very common phenomenon in a lot of internet outrage. Looking forward to the video that this was cut from.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd never really been exposed to this side of YT before, but man, the video of this Destiny guy debating JonTron is straight fire.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, ContraPoints' cultural appropriation video kinda put me off her stuff. That was the first video of hers I saw and it felt a little tone deaf.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time watching the Shaun / Cuphead video because, holy shit, I can't listen to this AlphaOmegaSin moron keep talking.

Oct 26, 2017
Added this thread to my watch list. I absolutely adore Shaun. Also I posted a thread specifically for his Cuphead video on gaming side for those interested.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Contra video and again just from a visual aspect, it is amazing. Going to rewatch it later before I give my opinion.

OK, but I still find Contra Point's ability to inform incredibly weak.

I'm not going to criticize Contra Points anymore because I don't want to derail a thread about socially progressive youtube vids. I will simply say I find Contra Points lacking and this thread is a good idea and I'm not here to shit it up. I've said my peace and I'm out unless I'm directly attacked.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Is Pakman really a full fledged Leftist? I mean he supported Sanders I guess...

Glad to see Contra and Ellis getting recognition, both have excellent programming. Another person I like (Though do not always agree with) who hasn't really broken out is the1janitor ( https://www.youtube.com/user/the1janitor ). I appreciate his perspective on racial justice and feel he does a good job of communicating his ideas to an audience that may not be normally receptive to it. Ge also introduced me to Contra.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That was a very good video, too. I'd had heard about the Halcyon but I never looked into it too deeply.
Yea, agreed. That video interesting and fairly educational.

mac I see no issue with people debating the personalities discussed in this thread. Not everyone is going to agree with certain viewpoints and arguments.
Although, yea we already kinda did the Contra discussion, I'm not sure what there is to add.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When did Destiny become a voice for the left? Did he have a dramatic change of heart relatively recently? Because this is the same dude who just a couple years back was a big fan of casually and frequently dropping racial and homophobic slurs on stream and then arguing people were only outraged due to PC culture. He was pushed out of the SC2 community for his constant use of hate speech. He invited a viewer who reported him for casually dropping the n-word on one stream to talk to him on another stream so he could give him a brow beating about how he has a black friend so calling people who cheese him in Starcraft 2 "niggers" is perfectly acceptable. Something that eventually cost him a bunch of sponsors and a spot on his team at the time was an incident where he ran into a Korean player on the Starcraft 2 ladder and called his opponent a gook on stream.

So color me surprised to see him on that list of prominent leftist Youtubers being lauded here.

Oct 25, 2017
When did Destiny become a voice for the left? Did he have a dramatic change of heart relatively recently? Because this is the same dude who just a couple years back was a big fan of casually and frequently dropping racial and homophobic slurs on stream and then arguing people were only outraged due to PC culture. He was pushed out of the SC2 community for his constant use of hate speech. He invited a viewer who reported him for casually dropping the n-word on one stream to talk to him on another stream so he could give him a brow beating about how he has a black friend so calling people who cheese him in Starcraft 2 "niggers" is perfectly acceptable. Something that eventually cost him a bunch of sponsors and a spot on his team at the time was an incident where he ran into a Korean player on the Starcraft 2 ladder and called his opponent a gook on stream.

So color me surprised to see him on that list of prominent leftist Youtubers being lauded here.
People change, he talks about his past quite often and won't shy away from it

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017

He talks often that he didn't put too much care in the words he used until he met a guy who really hated gay people and thought destiny did too because he said faggot a lot. Apparently it made him reconsider his whole stance on saying words like that. I've watched a whole bunch of his videos from the last two years and it does feel like he's made an effort to change.

Then comes his stance on debating the right and skeptic community. Regardless of his past, he's doing a good job now in my book.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Seems like a great thread. A lot of the videos are focussed on deconstructing or disproving right wing/conservative arguments. Anyone here know of a left wing youtuber that's just good at explaining left wing positions themselves? Someone not reading from a script?
I like listening to this kind of stuff while gaming.

Right now I listen to canadaland. It's a podcast that critiques canadian media, with a progressive bent - to give you an idea of what I'm into.

Edit: also listen to Rachel Maddow's reporting. I'm kinda looking for something that's not just critiquing conservative politics but also has an argument for progressive politics. I find i listen to a lot of the former but not enough of the latter.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Shaun's CupHead video is great, really been getting into Shaun lately. Gaming is art, CupHead is art and people criticising art isn't the same as people hating on it.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
gogosox82 , when you say David Pakman has a problematic view regarding Israel/Palestine, do you mean that he is straight up pro-Netanyahu, or is it more that he criticizes/condemns Netanyahu but is still Pro-Israel, because if its the latter I can see some nuanced ways in which one could have a decent Anti-Netanyahu/Anti-Israeli-Far-Right/Pro-Israel stance?

I don't want to turn this thread here into a debate on Israel though so I'll PM you my explanation on how that's possible IF it's the latter.

Haven't paid too close attention but he mainly seems anti Hamas. That being said he has a bunch of videos about how the conflict is nuanced and complicated and doesn't come off as a hardcore pro israel shill. He's Jewish himself so that probably influences his perspective. Feel free to make what you will, but he doesn't seem pro Bibi.

That being said, his videos on debunking the alt right, debunking race realism etc. are too good to pass. I think he is a leftist and a good voice overall. Just like any other person posted here, we must be aware of the person's biases and nuances in opinion and form our own stances instead of 100% falling in lockstep.