• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ColorsFade

Jul 6, 2020
Palouse, Washington, USA
EcUn-eQXYAAJNmq

I would say, for any flaws it possesses (which Lin-Manuel seems very aware), if its very existence is causing FOX News to try and #CancelHamilton, then it's probably doing more good than harm.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Most Right-wing musical? Did Phantom close?

Last edited:

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
At this point, you might as well just watch the damn play. You're boxing with one arm behind your back because you don't fully understand the thing you're criticizing.
You are 100% correct. Feel foolish for opining on this in such length when I haven't watched the dang thing and when I'm not even that invested in the first place.
Will try to smother my pre-conceived notions, give it a fair shot, and report back if my thoughts change (like people will care by then but 🤷‍♂️).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I get the criticisms levied against it, but Jefferson comes off really poorly, Hamilton is super flawed, and it calls out slavery repeatedly as a big issue everyone is ignoring.

I looked into it with a deep Wiki dive last week, and Hamilton, Washington, and HERCULES MULLIGAN all got harsher on slavery as time went by (Hamilton and Mulligan joined an abolition society, Washington should have done more), and Lafayette and Laurens were actively against it. So was John Adams, but he's only mentioned. Hamilton wound up with one super abolitionist son and one super racist Indian fighter son. Angelica owned slaves which embarrassed Hamilton. Mulligan's slave was apparently Robin to his Batman.

History is weird and complicated.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Washington should have done more
The Renegade Cut video on this that came out yesterday was enlightening on this. It's worse than just "he should've done more."

The Washingtons moved to Pennsylvania once he was president, which had a gradual abolition law. Essentially, slaves were automatically freed after a certain amount of time living in Pennsylvania. Guess who took trips to Mt. Vernon just as the clock was about to expire on their slaves' freedom, just to reset the clock and come back in?

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Culture changes very quickly, and Broadway plays take a very very long time to make. In 2015, this play was completely fine and considered very left because of casting all black actors to play historical roles. Now, the way society views the founders has changed. Nothing can be changed in the play to make that better. It'd need to be completely redone. Not like the small tweaks they've made to certain lines in Book of Mormon to feel more modern.

It reminds me of how I was taught about Columbus growing up. In my early years of school, we learned about him in Spanish class, as I got older, we learned he was actually Italian, then by the end of high school, things started to come to light that he was a bastard.

You can't predict the future when you release something like this. I guess these people can write their critiques about it, but if you enjoy Hamilton don't feel guilty. You don't suddenly have to hate it. I vehemently disagree that it's a conservative production, but whatever.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What you're saying is true - it is a fictionalization with a historical basis. I don't think the conversation does end there, though. This is not a unique issue with Hamilton but is a broader issue with historical fiction and dramatizations in general, but basically for a lot of people their education on a given topic begins and ends with something like this. They might know it's not 100% totally the whole truth, but if they don't follow that up with a deep dive into it then they will ultimately be left with that as their only impression, and when something is a cultural touchstone then that can strongly influence public perception of something.

As such I think authors of historical fiction have a general responsibility to be as accurate and holistic as they plausibly can. I make no comments about Hamilton's contents, but I have been quite bothered by more than a few biopics and historical dramatizations, to the point that I almost never watch them anymore.
I would certainly welcome any historical fiction, or anything based on a true story, promoting the actuality of the history it's based on in some way. Writers or directors could be more open about the reality of their writing, which is possible today thanks to social media. You also have weird stuff like Netflix doing a post-show addressing misinformation in their own Tiger King documentary. It's certainly possible.

But I also wish people understood that just because they saw it in a movie or a musical doesn't mean it was real. At the very most it should pique one's interest to learn more. It is upsetting to me when people take media like this at face value. I am not ignorant of media's influence on perception — media is the most influential force humanity has. But is hoping people will not walk out of a musical play and think "wow, that was so accurate" too much to ask?

I don't believe art should be beholden to factual recounting of events unless it's explicit mission to do so. That isn't the purpose or function of art. If you have to adhere as exactly as possible to reality when writing a work of fiction you might as well not bother, which maybe some would prefer.

Hamilton, the musical, is about an up and coming and ambitious visionary who over-indulges and is undone by hubris and obsession. The content depicted in the play is chosen to support that narrative and support that character arc. This is something Miranda has been open about from the beginning — the story comes first, the history comes second.

This is how most authors approach their stories in most cases and this should be how audiences do too.

Hamilton is just the latest in a long, long line of stories you can easily trace back to the likes of Julius Caesar, Antony & Cleopatra, and King Lear. I guess that since Hamilton has reached an audience outside the typical scope of theater it is being reviewed by an audience with different expectations. That's all fine and fair and I don't think tradition is an excuse for anything. But Hamilton is a stage musical, written like a stage musical, and I dislike the idea of stage plays having to be history lessons.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, yes, it's history through rose-tinted glasses, but also, all cultures are always going to have their overly rosy pop version of history, and Hamilton was constructed as a counterpoint to the right-wing version of history that presents the founding purely as a libertarian tax revolt, instead presenting Hamilton's more statist system (correctly) as necessary to preserve the union. Yeah, it fails to properly condemn the slaveholders who were there, but it does at least acknowledge slavery as a contradiction to the stated ideals of the founding, versus the more libertarian version that says "well I'm not saying slavery was good, but, you know, property rights", and at least plants the seeds for a historical narrative of national redemption by bringing the reality of the nation as it was founded closer to the ideals on which it was founded.

There are tons of things where it looks at the good but not the bad — we ignore Hamilton the monarchist and immigration-restricting francophobe and instead focus on Hamilton builder of the federal government and strain the era's conception of nationality a good bit to present him as an immigrant. We ignore Washington the slaveholder to focus on the Washington who's disinterest in personal power really did set the stage for nearly a century. Those things it leaves out are certainly worthy of historical inquiry and greater public awareness, but also there's always going to be some version of very positive pop history, and this probably is as close to a progressive version of that as you can get. You're not going to win hearts and minds for long on a message that the founding was a tragedy, even though in some senses it very much was. Slavery probably ends earlier under British rule, and Native American genocide and Western settlement are probably significantly curtailed. And if Britain and Canada and Australia are any evidence, probably at little cost to democracy. But that's not really a narrative that gives people much meaning, and something along the lines of the Hamilton version is, and is probably as non-toxic as you can get it.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. To be honest, I don't really have a response to that argument and I think it's an important one to state. Speaking for myself though, I see the usage of diverse casting and hip hop as a reclamation in a sense of American history, which is so often dominated by white faces and imagery in its retellings.

The intent makes a lot of sense and I get the desire to reclaim that history in a way, but it feels like instead of diversifying the founding fathers as a way of creating that connection and thus reclamation, maybe a spotlight could've been given to the slaves, natives, etc. that were part of the american revolution and are never acknowledged. Which is funny because that idea of giving attention to someone that is often forgotten especially in comparison to their contemporaries is a huge part of the appeal of Hamilton and something that the musical itself states as its intention.

This is ultimately a story about Hamilton, and Hamilton had a rather ambivalent and complex view on slavery, and he didn't ever have the types of jobs or position to keep slaves of his own. So slaves wouldn't be as big of a part of his story as they would be for other people.

If I recall, Hamilton married into a slave owning family (the Sschuylers) and there is also some debate as to whether he eventually owned some himself.

I dislike how it's "bringing minorities into the history of the American revolution"

Their where plenty of minorities in American history, most of them have tragic endings,

Yup! Totally agree with this. I really love the musical aspects of it, but the play almost feels like it's whitewashing american history in its use of diversity which is fascinating to me.

So Hamilton went from calling Pence out during a performance to being the most right wing musical in record time huh. I get the criticism, and even LMM seems to agree there were some blind spots, but the hyperbole isn't helpful.

It went from calling out Pence to John Bolton naming his book after a song from it. This play has always been appealing to conservatives.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The intent makes a lot of sense and I get the desire to reclaim that history in a way, but it feels like instead of diversifying the founding fathers as a way of creating that connection and thus reclamation, maybe a spotlight could've been given to the slaves, natives, etc. that were part of the american revolution and are never acknowledged. Which is funny because that idea of giving attention to someone that is often forgotten especially in comparison to their contemporaries is a huge part of the appeal of Hamilton and something that the musical itself states as its intention.

If I recall, Hamilton married into a slave owning family (the Sschuylers) and there is also some debate as to whether he eventually owned some himself.

Yup! Totally agree with this. I really love the musical aspects of it, but the play almost feels like it's whitewashing american history in its use of diversity which is fascinating to me.

It went from calling out Pence to John Bolton naming his book after a song from it. This play has always been appealing to conservatives.

Along with the Chernow book it is based off, the show rehabilitated Hamilton for the masses. He has always been beloved by Wall Street. IMO the show doesn't glorify these figures.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like the casting did a good job of highlighting and implicitly criticizing the characters' racism and especially slave-holding without the musical needing to center it in a way that would detract from the story and music. It struck me as less "this is everyone's story and it's just a quirky choice to use a bunch of actors of color" and more "you're constantly aware that this is not what these characters looked like and why". Washington is really the only character you could accuse it of inappropriately lionizing, but clearly there is a lot to celebrate there even if there's also a lot to criticize.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's vain to quote myself, but I posted in a different thread about how the play feels complicated for the ways it incorporates history.

I enjoy filmed performances like those from the National Theatre or wherever, so watching this version of Hamilton fits in well among them--though I better enjoy those with sets (Singin' in the Rain is the best ever). Perhaps that taste is derived from never having been able to afford to see live performances, and so the film format is what I'm more accustomed to. I don't think I would have preferred a proper film adaptation of Hamilton to this stage performance though.

The mutual themes of time and ambition are finely juxtaposed between Hamilton and Burr. As representatives of the themes, they are each other's foils--that's a great concept around which the narrative is constructed.

It also means that the first few songs immediately heroicize Hamilton.The first sentence of the first number, "Alexander Hamilton," plainly establishes Hamilton as "a hero and a scholar." As the play's avatar of ambition, bootstrapping, and overcoming odds, the audience is meant to admire that character more than the other who opts for cleverness or passivity, as represented in Burr.

As a historical play, it is difficult to avoid the questions of accuracy and moralization. I mentioned earlier that I find the play very complicated, but it's not because I demand accuracy. I don't approach art valuing one more highly than the other. Generally, if a narrative pursues accuracy, it will often lean away from moralization (unless it is built into the accuracy); if it elects morality, accuracy is less important. But in Hamilton the two are closely intertwined in a way that sabotages its meaning. The "inaccuracies" of the play, from broad, purposeful ones like casting and musical styles to loose characterizations like that of King George, are confronted by its appeals to accuracy elsewhere. Its satire and critique, obviously playful, are obstructed when Miranda/Hamilton pipes in during "A Winter's Ball" to say "That's true!," which implies veracity to the rest of the story even while those other components move away from it. The subtitle of the play, "An American Musical," functions similarly. In "The World Was Wide Enough," Burr states, "They won't teach you this in your classes / But look it up / He was wearing his glasses." Again, its claims to truthfulness are framed pedagogically--that this is a history lesson, and a fun one at that--but with a strange sense of selectivity that is elsewhere set aside. In terms of characterization, the resolute use of satire in its portrayal of King George is split from the attempted satire of Americans, particularly Jefferson and Madison, who are later allowed to speak with sincerity of their admiration for Hamilton. These elements don't fit together very neatly and make for a very shaky relationship between history and story.

The consequence of this relationship is that its ultimate question of legacy is obstructed. Some have suggested that Hamilton remains with that question, allowing it to be left open. But it doesn't; the play answers this question in several ways. While it sometimes enjoys the gray areas of moralization, it is ultimately focused on this question of legacy and provides it with a clear answer. Incorrectly, it suggests that legacies are immovably derived from the truths of history. In "The World Was Wide Enough," Burr, after shooting Hamilton, states that "Now I'm the villain in your history," his legacy cemented. The final number lyrics, "Who lives / Who dies / Who tells your story?" are fulfilled by other characters, with Eliza given the most space to detail the formulation of Hamilton's legacy. And the play does lionize Hamilton because Eliza lionizes him, and she is given the last word: she establishes an orphanage, sees Hamilton in the children's eyes, interviews his soldiers, collects his writings, and campaigns against slavery as if on his behalf. These good and admirable things are presented in a way that casts Hamilton as their inspiration, as if Eliza has the time that Hamilton doesn't and uses her time the way that Hamilton might have. The good actions of Eliza are meant to solidify the goodness of Hamilton.

And because the play ends this way, it ultimately confronts and competes against itself. It overrides the gray areas of historical figures by giving weight to "legacy" as a finality. The existence of Hamilton as a play participates in the construction of legacy--"Who tells your story?" is answered by the play itself. Hamilton is therefore not about interrogating legacy but subscribing to it, even if the play inspires people's interest in history. As a result, the question of accuracy is minimized, not for the sake of innovative casting or musical styles, but because "legacy" is materialized by those who come after, and because the play is telling us how to think of Hamilton and the other characters. By asking it, the play sounds as though it is embracing the question of legacy, but is stating and maintaining an established answer.

As I said before, though, Anthony Ramos is wonderful.

Now I shall return to my mirror.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's not possible to criticize without the hyperbolic eye catching headline that takes away from the substance of the valid criticism.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Please. It's a hip-hop musical with a majority black cast about the downfall of a founding father. "Most right-wing musical"...

Give.
Me.
A.
Fucking.
Break.

madame x

May 15, 2020
I would actually say it's the most liberal musical.
Some of the songs are catchy though.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hamilton is fiction. It is a dramatization and it is not a history lesson. It uses characters inspired by living people but it is fake. No amount of passion from the auteur is going to make what's being presented anything more than a highly romanticized piece of fiction.

And I think that's really the end of it. The story doesn't cover the atrocities these men committed because that wouldn't fit in the story. The actual political legacies of these people are not examined because that's not how the characters are written. It is inspired by real events, it is not a historical account of what actually happened. This has always been the case with historical fiction, including fictitious plays based on real political figures. This is a standard founded in Shakespeare.

It is perfectly valid and reasonable to say it makes you uncomfortable to see grotesque, immoral slavers dramatized as inspiring and complex up-and-comers. People have had this criticism of Hamilton since it came out. Hamilton has always been dragged as the ultimate example of neoliberal revisionism: whitewashed history with a diverse coat of paint. Calling it a rightwing fantasy is just another flavor of the same elementary criticism. It's correct. It's valid. What else is there to say?

But at the same time, people can still enjoy it for what it is. You can fully and comfortably acknowledge that every single founding father was an irredeemable monster who set in motion a deeply exploitative political system and also enjoy Hamilton as a piece of entertaining fiction.

Hamilton is fake. Titanic is fake. Braveheart is fake. Argo is fake. Amadeus is fake. Captain Phillips is fake. The Patriot is fake. All these movies are total fabrications; they're fictitious characters in constructed plots that loosely resemble their original inspiration. Hamilton carries extra baggage because it is a racialized production of highly racist historical figures. But the complaint "hmmm, this isn't how it really happened, these people were really bad actually," only goes so far.

At the end of the day, it's still a work of fiction that can be enjoyed on its own terms. You can, and should, still have conversations about what actually happened. Entertainment does not replace history and should not be mistaken for history.

If anything, it is a positive that Hamilton has spurred so many conversations (both in 2014-2016 and now) about who these people actually were, what they actually did, and why nobody should idolize the actual founding fathers. But you can still enjoy a musical based on the myth.

Well said.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton is fiction. It is a dramatization and it is not a history lesson. It uses characters inspired by living people but it is fake. No amount of passion from the auteur is going to make what's being presented anything more than a highly romanticized piece of fiction.

And I think that's really the end of it. The story doesn't cover the atrocities these men committed because that wouldn't fit in the story. The actual political legacies of these people are not examined because that's not how the characters are written. It is inspired by real events, it is not a historical account of what actually happened. This has always been the case with historical fiction, including fictitious plays based on real political figures. This is a standard founded in Shakespeare.

It is perfectly valid and reasonable to say it makes you uncomfortable to see grotesque, immoral slavers dramatized as inspiring and complex up-and-comers. People have had this criticism of Hamilton since it came out. Hamilton has always been dragged as the ultimate example of neoliberal revisionism: whitewashed history with a diverse coat of paint. Calling it a rightwing fantasy is just another flavor of the same elementary criticism. It's correct. It's valid. What else is there to say?

But at the same time, people can still enjoy it for what it is. You can fully and comfortably acknowledge that every single founding father was an irredeemable monster who set in motion a deeply exploitative political system and also enjoy Hamilton as a piece of entertaining fiction.

Hamilton is fake. Titanic is fake. Braveheart is fake. Argo is fake. Amadeus is fake. Captain Phillips is fake. The Patriot is fake. All these movies are total fabrications; they're fictitious characters in constructed plots that loosely resemble their original inspiration. Hamilton carries extra baggage because it is a racialized production of highly racist historical figures. But the complaint "hmmm, this isn't how it really happened, these people were really bad actually," only goes so far.

At the end of the day, it's still a work of fiction that can be enjoyed on its own terms. You can, and should, still have conversations about what actually happened. Entertainment does not replace history and should not be mistaken for history.

If anything, it is a positive that Hamilton has spurred so many conversations (both in 2014-2016 and now) about who these people actually were, what they actually did, and why nobody should idolize the actual founding fathers. But you can still enjoy a musical based on the myth.
This is basically how I see the musical as well.

Oct 25, 2017

These 100%

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would be interested in hearing from those much more versed in the topic than me which other recent shows on broadway are more right-wing than Hamilton

Nov 14, 2017
Once those who criticise Hamilton learn about how it's fictional and wouldn't be as popular if it more strongly attacked America's founding mythology they will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I would actually say it's the most liberal musical.
Some of the songs are catchy though.

Musicals aren't necessarily liberal or conservative. They distill very simple and relatable themes of human experience - loss, hope, love along with very simplified reenactments of (usually) class struggles if they're not straight comedies.

If you're going to make a musical that gets an A for its "views", I would not make a musical. I would make something else.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So much discourse about the politics of Hamilton when its ultimately a character study and doesn't really say anything interesting about politics at all. The revolution is framed like the elementary school history class 'great man of history' we've heard a million times before. The second half doesn't have anything political to say at all. It's an interesting relic of Obama-era liberalism and I guess that means something to people post-2016 but I can't imagine it'll be as enduring as it's upfront success.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. They do call some stuff out with Washington as well but yes he is celebrated more than others really because he essentially walked away from power.

Calling it right wing propaganda seems extreme to me when its inclusive and calls out the slavery hypocrisy throughout the play. Of course it could have done more, but it would be a different play then. There was the whole thing with Pence too a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...amilton-performance-then-hears-diversity-plea

Seems like Pence's role at the time was to reveal the "intolerant left" between this and the walking out when players kneel.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
So much discourse about the politics of Hamilton when its ultimately a character study and doesn't really say anything interesting about politics at all. The revolution is framed like the elementary school history class 'great man of history' we've heard a million times before. The second half doesn't have anything political to say at all. It's an interesting relic of Obama-era liberalism and I guess that means something to people post-2016 but I can't imagine it'll be as enduring as it's upfront success.

I really think it's a great musical taken aside from anything it has to say. I think you're underestimating it.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
These takes sort of wash over me because - like, that's not the point, you know? This isn't the story of Alexander Hamilton, some dude that was born in the 18th century and lived and died. It's a fictional story that reimagines and reinvents actual people who lived and died, through the lens of the author and performers. It's not tackling slavery or focused on the Haitian Revolution or whatever because that's not the story that Lin-Manuel Miranda wanted to write. He read a book about a historical figure, parts of it resonated, and he created his own story inspired by that historical figure.

Thomas Jefferson, the person, was a writer and inventor and statesman who owned and raped other human beings. Thomas Jefferson, the character, exists only to sing and dance and have rap battles and look suspiciously similar to the Marquis de Lafayette. Having knowledge of one helps inform the other. The person is the root to the character, and just as important, the myth is the root of the character. But you're not engaging with it as a work without accepting that they exist independently.

Ultimately, Hamilton isn't obligated to talk about the historical facts of slavery and genocide any more than, like, Robin Hood is obligated to examine the interfaith prejudices of the Third Crusade. An accurate retelling of history just isn't the mission statement.
I feel this.

a) Hamilton was an immigrant, though. As was Lafayette.
This is a minor thing, if we're discussing the real historical record, but Lafayette was not an immigrant. He was a foreign volunteer attracted to the republican cause, but he never intended to make America his home.

Indeed, the musical even somewhat contradictorily acknowledges this when he remarks that when they win he'll go back to France to help "[his] people".

The Schuylers indeed owned slaves. Hamilton definitely served as an agent in various commercial transactions for slaves; there's some debate as to whether he may have owned one at some point, though he definitely did not in the final years of his life, as there are letters (from Angelica, who complained that Eliza's not having any slaves was inconvenient for party planning) and probate documents indicating as much. So he was certainly not completely disconnected from the institution (to the extent that anyone could be in America).

The early American abolitionist movement had a lot of cases like this, indeed, one of the first tasks Hamilton had as one of the founders of the state abolition society was developing a proposed timetable for members to free their own slaves (a contentious prospect). At times it was rather like that episode of Mad Men where Don goes to the American Cancer Society to work on an anti-smoking campaign and is told that a majority of the board members of the ACS smoke.

In terms of personal involvement, the major founding father most spotless of any association with slavery is John Adams, who never owned nor hired slaves despite being a very successful attorney who could certainly have afforded them in the pre-Revolutionary period (indeed, he at one point estimated that not hiring slaves had cost him thousands of dollars in labour over the years). Conversely, Adams did less politically to advance the anti-slavery cause than did several founders who did own or otherwise involve themselves in slavery transactions at some point in their lives, including Hamilton but most notably John Jay and Benjamin Franklin.

All sorts of interesting nuances to history. A lot of this obviously would never have fit into the musical, but I do think it would have made sense to more expressly discuss Washington's involvement in slavery (the Washington we get in the musical reflects mainly those aspects of him pertaining to his relationship to Hamilton, as well as his general steady hand as a statesman).

Other characters in the musical whose slaveholding passes without mention would include Angelica (if you want to talk somebody who was really whitewashed on this point, real!Angelica did not give a fuck, unlike Eliza, who was anti-slavery in adulthood) and Burr (who as an old man actually attempted to dissuade William Lloyd Garrison from dedicating his career to fighting for abolition -- Garrison told him to shove it).

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This play always seemed more interesting to me:

After taking Ambien given to him by his agent, Lin-Manuel Miranda is visited by historical figures who were seemingly left out of his musical, Hamilton, including enslaved Africans, Native Americans, a white indentured servant, and Harriet Tubman. Each person lectures him about their exclusion from the musical, while Lin-Manuel appears confused. He continuously defers to Ron Chernow's biography Alexander Hamilton to justify the content of the musical. After Lin-Manuel meets the racist ghost of Hamilton, he goes to confront Chernow, who is unapologetic. At the conclusion, Lin-Manuel's agent tells him he has been commissioned to write a play about Christopher Columbus. Throughout, the play critiques Hamilton's high ticket prices and "corny" songs.

I kinda feel like I have to watch Hamilton to know what that thing is, but I kinda dread doing it. The politics of it seem really bad.

The defenses of it I'm reading here too isn't helping at all. Being left of pence is a very low bar and there doesn't appear to be much more depth to the fact that black actors are playing white historical figures than generic representation, which is fine but does very little to satisfy the right wing nature of the content.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

The perpetration of a harmful myth shouldn't be entertaining if you believe the myth is harmful. The fact that it's fiction doesn't get you out of examining why indulging in this type of fantasy is so desirable.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
While not claiming to be a historian, and not knowing alot of John Adams' history, He and his son John Quincy were the only 2 Presidents in the first Dozen to never own slaves. Both spoke out against Slavery (JQA much more so).

Meanwhile, Hamilton doesn't cast anyone as John Adams, talks poorly about him, and the only claimed lines of dialogue from Adams is the "Creole Bastard" slur, while Hamilton's father in law was a slave owner.

Which U.S. Presidents Owned Slaves? Was an interesting read, with various quotes and facts from the first 18 presidents in relation to what they did or said in regards about Slavery, with a list of sources under the bibliography section. Warning, that there are alot of quotes that are horrible (Fuck Zachary Taylor). That the first president after the 1st 12 (Millard Filmore) that never owned slaves personally, did sign into law the Fugitive Slave act.

1850: Fillmore signed the Fugitive Slave Act and warned that he would use federal troops to enforce it. "God knows that I detest slavery, but it is an existing evil, for which we are not responsible, and we must endure it, and give it such protection as is guaranteed by the constitution, till we can get rid of it without destroying the last hope of free government in the world."
😐

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Broadway in late February, seeing Dear Evan Hansen and Jagged Little Pill. Frankly, I left both feeling significant disgust at the absolute ease with which these narratives hand-waved away any and all consequences for two abusive, horrific white teenage characters who gaslit, mentally abused, and in one case, simply watched and allowed a friend of his to rape a woman.

They both basically decide to take a "year off before going to college" as collective punishment.

Broadway isn't nearly as progressive as it thinks it is, and while Hamilton certainly portrays the founding fathers with perhaps more respect than they deserve, it's pretty clearly exaggerated and treats them far more like human beings than any history lesson taught to children in schools. I'll take it.

Last edited:

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
The conversation about Hamilton's approach to slavery are absolutely worth having. However, I don't think the hyperbole here is helpful or justified. I think the show is more nuanced with regards to the founding fathers and Hamilton himself than many of its critics (and fans) let on. Even beyond the affair storyline, we see time and again that Hamilton, as a man, is self-serving and interested in revolution primarily as a tool for social climbing. Just as an example, there's a short but important scene where he's called out for not living up to his supposed ideals when he turns his back on Lafayette and refuses to join him in the French Revolution.

Ultimately though, I think this comes down to a larger discussion about the role of art, especially historical art. I don't think a work of art needs to, or even should be, a replacement for actually studying history. If you're an adult watching Hamilton, and you needed the show to explain to you that George Washington owned slaves... Then that's a far more damning critique of our approach to teaching history than of anything in the show.

There's an entire thematic throughline in the piece about how historical narratives are constructed. The work even refers to itself, in a metatextual way, as a narrative many times. It's almost directly challenging the audience to do further work and research themselves. Which, is what great historical should be doing: starting the conversation, not finishing it.

I think the premise that some of these chats about Hamilton take, where we argue if the merits of it's representation are valid in spite of the historical omissions it makes, tend to flatten the complexity and strengths of the thing as a work. There's a lot more going on in Hamilton than the fact that it's a Broadway musical starring poc. It's a complex and rich reframing of a mythic take on history that has a lot of thematic depth about the nature of violent revolution, of fathers and sons, of pragmatism vs idealism. The point isn't to just give you the facts of the history in 2 and a half hours.

I really like this piece, which makes some of these same arguments in a stronger way than I can. I'd recommend reading:

t.co

Hamilton is fanfic, and its historical critics are totally missing the point

Fans know exactly what Hamilton is about. Why don't historians?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
While not claiming to be a historian, and not knowing alot of John Adams' history, He and his son John Quincy were the only 2 Presidents in the first Dozen to never own slaves. Both spoke out against Slavery (JQA much more so).

Meanwhile, Hamilton doesn't cast anyone as John Adams, talks poorly about him, and the only claimed lines of dialogue from Adams is the "Creole Bastard" slur, while Hamilton's father in law was a slave owner.

Which U.S. Presidents Owned Slaves? Was an interesting read, with various quotes and facts from the first 18 presidents in relation to what they did or said in regards about Slavery, with a list of sources under the bibliography section. Warning, that there are alot of quotes that are horrible (Fuck Zachary Taylor). That the first president after the 1st 12 (Millard Filmore) that never owned slaves personally, did sign into law the Fugitive Slave act.

😐

Despite not owning slaves, they are absolutely right to shit on Adams in this. The alien and sedition acts he put into law is the origin of anti-immigrant legislation in this country. It made it much harder for an immigrant to become a citizen and gave the country power to deport anyone who was deemed "dangerous" or even just published writing critical of America. These bills were designed to suppress votes at the time, but continued to cause pain into the 20th century, parts of them were used to justify deporting German, Italian, and Japanese-Americans during World War II. He can fuck off.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
In a country where people seemingly do not get history lessons in school, yes maybe broadway musicals should be history lessons.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Despite not owning slaves, they are absolutely right to shit on Adams in this. The alien and sedition acts he put into law is the origin of anti-immigrant legislation in this country. It made it much harder for an immigrant to become a citizen and gave the country power to deport anyone who was deemed "dangerous" or even just published writing critical of America. These bills were designed to suppress votes at the time, but continued to cause pain into the 20th century, parts of them were used to justify deporting German, Italian, and Japanese-Americans during World War II. He can fuck off.

Yeah, I always seem to remember the sedition part, in relation to attacks on dissent/media, forgot the alien part, that yes, continues thru internment in WW2 and to today. So many things these "enlightened" people did 200+ years ago, continue to drag us down.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
This play always seemed more interesting to me:

I kinda feel like I have to watch Hamilton to know what that thing is, but I kinda dread doing it. The politics of it seem really bad.

The defenses of it I'm reading here too isn't helping at all. Being left of pence is a very low bar and there doesn't appear to be much more depth to the fact that black actors are playing white historical figures than generic representation, which is fine but does very little to satisfy the right wing nature of the content.
So you know nothing about the play but you're comfortable criticizing its politics anyway?