• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
While the idea of having a survival game set in a modern sci-fi setting with the player going up against overwhelming odds seems like a sound concept, Left Alive unfortunately does not manage to execute it very well, to the point that many might go so far as to say that it failed. The stealth aspects of the game are egregiously done, with enemies that seem to randomly switch between being blind and deaf and being inexplicably able to see through walls for miles, an enemy proximity warning that is absolutely useless.
The game is wrought with countless bugs and lesser issues as well: An encumbering manual save system with awkwardly-timed auto saves, various sound-related bugs with the game sometimes going silent or playing sounds from far away as if they are nearby, bad NPC pathing on side quests, immersion-ruining graphical issues, frustrating and out-of-place boss battles, and questionable localisation and voice acting quality. The story, too, feels needlessly convoluted with its focus on conspiracy and twists, and also fails to really define its characters: Both protagonists, who feel shallow, and antagonists, who partake in outrightly cartoon-like villainy and have unsatisfying resolutions.

https://www.frontlinejp.net/2019/03/03/review-left-alive/

And..

55/100

More reviews should come out soon, but apparently those Shinkawa's designs are the only things that stand out in this game

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Not surprised but I'm still a bit bummed out. A stealth game with mechs and all other sorts of cool stuff? Sounds good but in the case of Left Alive, I guess it isn't. Shame.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it never looked like anything good. The mech segments seem neat, but everything else looks like a worse/smaller budget version of Division or some other TPP shooter.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
tenor.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised. Just reminded me of those knock off titles that try and emulate more successful games, like Cold Fear back in the PS2 days (although that one wasn't too bad!).

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Why are you so excited? Honest question, I don't know much about the game.
Because:
THIS IS THE JANK I HAVE WAITED FOR! PS1/PS2 ERA JAPANESE FUN JANK IS BACK!

Caution the enemy is approaching. (the enemy is not "approaching" at all)
Caution the enemy is approaching. (the enemy is moving in the opposite direction)
Caution the enemy is approaching. (the enemy is just standing there)
Caution the enemy is approaching. (you are running past the enemies and they don't even notice you)

And then the WANZER UI... hahahahaha it's so bad and cluttered. But wait, that's not the end, the Wanzer charges another Wanzer! The camera zooms in for an impact shot, and then..... abruptly CUTS OUT awkwardly to reset to the normal third person view. THE JANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this so much. I'm getting this day one. Omg. It's like those RE and MGS clones that kept popping up in the early days with 1/3 the budget but still being so ernest at what they were. Precious children. They must be loved! <3 <3 <3
Remember when you were a teenager or just out of school and starting work? Remember buying import Japanese PS1 or PS2 games that were knock offs of blockbuster games but with their own little unique spin, yet without the budget, talent, or polish to really hit those marks? Remember how fun it was to just mess around and realize that not all games are perfect polished things, but being broken can still be fun, laughing at many components of the game isn't rejecting the game itself, and ultimately, every funny sort of failure is a step forward in experience and passion for a game developer somewhere?

And then remember when games like that stopped existing on consoles entirely and became portable games with less opportunity to feel truly broken in precious ways?

And then remember when they just stopped existing at all?

IF YOU KNOW THIS SPECIAL FEEL, YOU KNOW WHAT I FEEL WHEN I WATCHED THIS TRAILER!

klee123

Oct 27, 2017

We need more people like you in this world in terms of gaming tastes.

Gaming has turned to either AAA or Indies with nothing in between and is quite frankly a shit trend with fuck all variety.

I'd take this over the 100s of Anthems/Ass creeds and other "AAA" blockbuster GAAS games.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
People are saying it's just "last gen jank" but the gameplay looks worse than that. Like even old games had better AI than "enemy stands in place and shoots you forever"

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
People are saying it's just "last gen jank" but the gameplay looks worse than that. Like even old games had better AI than "enemy stands in place and shoots you forever"
Old jank isn't just old games. It isn't a diss on older games being less advanced and worse. For the record, I don't think there's really any "last-gen jank" because last-gen was devoid of true jank for the most part. Maybe stuff like Infinite Undiscovery. There aren't many anymore. I'm talking about actual jank that was considered jank even in the PS1 and PS2 era. Games which you can see clearly tried to be more than they were success at and were bursting at the seams just being a mess. Those games were very interesting to play even if there is annoying stuff to suffer through.

We rarely get that anymore and this is the poster child for jank in the current generation.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Old jank isn't just old games. It isn't a diss on older games being less advanced and worse. For the record, I don't think there's really any "last-gen jank" because last-gen was devoid of true jank for the most part. Maybe stuff like Infinite Undiscovery. There aren't many anymore. I'm talking about actual jank that was considered jank even in the PS1 and PS2 era. Games which you can see clearly tried to be more than they were success at and were bursting at the seams just being a mess. Those games were very interesting to play even if there is annoying stuff to suffer through.

We rarely get that anymore and this is the poster child for jank in the current generation.
I wish people would just call it jank instead of referencing previous generations. I've seen complaints about animations and stuff looking "old" which wouldn't bother me. Criticism of games for having "outdated" mechanics is pretty common (see crackdown 3, for example) and I wish people would differentiate more between just old/inconvenient design and legitimately broken shit. It seems like this game has both, though.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Already pre ordered it, I don't even mind if it turns out bad but I haven't trusted reviews sites in forever.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I wonder if it would have been better if it had a bigger budget (or if the whole budget wasn't spent on Yohji Shinkawa's art)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh, I hate that this game turned out this way. While a turn-based/SRPG Front Mission would be preferred, the idea of a stealthy scifi game in a setting with massive mechs is pretty great, if it was just executed well.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
They should have just done a new Front Mission. With modern graphics it could have been cool.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone knows when the reviews will be out? Or the embargo is already over but nobody care to review this?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am so confused. How could they turn this series into a fucking survival stealth game?
When will we get a proper Front Mission 6?
I already know the answer: never

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I had hoped this game could be the Resi "Revelations" type games but for the FM series but looks like they could not even muster that. Still curious to see more impressions not that I care to get this or anything.

You don't really see this kind of game with suspect production values and gameplay from most established indies let alone a big company like SE and they have put 2 out now in such a short space of time now. Truly does feel like the PS2 era again.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Can't say I'm surprised. Still, got the game pre-ordered digitally and can't wait to try it out.

Regardless of its quality, it seems to be trying something new that I've personally never seen before and that excites me.

I'd rather take a chance on a game like Left Alive than say DMC5, a game where I know exactly what I'm getting.