• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan

• Still Jordan. Forever.

Votes: 1,077 70.8%
  • LeBron is the GOAT now

Votes: 380 25.0%
  • Kareem says hi

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
as someone who has been fortunate enough to watch both play for the majority of their careers it ultimately comes down to absolute peak (still think Jordan wins that) vs. most valuable career (i.e. the Ben Taylor criteria which LeBron wins). just depends on what you value. everything else is just catnip for the first take and video game forum crowd.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Sure, I can see where you are coming from but my perspective is I was alive watching Jordan play and Lebron play. Not like a kid. Late Teenager and young adult. I still remember Costas voice and watching Seinfeld after the finals. I've never seen someone dominate like Jordan did. Ever.
Like I said, I think MJ's peak is unmatched.

But I can see LeBron being the tortoise when it's all said and done.

Feb 16, 2018
Wut? The game has had plenty of big guys. Most of them played like shit.

this is kind of my point

it's really hard to find guys that big that can actually play, so when one comes around the value over replacement is absolutely insane

when a smaller player can achieve the same level of dominance, it's a much bigger accomplishment / indicator of greatness (imo) because they had to beat much more talented players than when some 7'2" guy outplays his rivals

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
At this point, it's Lebron/Jordan 1a/1b. I can see an argument for either.

People will talk about what they both did at age 35 as a disingenuous argument. Ignore that. In this stage of Lebron's career, you should ALWAYS talk about it in terms of his 17th season. Unless you are insane enough to think that a college season is equivalent to an NBA season. In which case your opinion should not count.

kamikaze

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
singapore
it'll always be debatable who's #1 on the court but as someone who was most into basketball in the late 80s to early 00s, lebron has jumped ahead of MJ as a player based on what he does off the court/with his position of fame. i'd much rather my kids look at lebron as a role model than MJ.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
His career to me ends up being as impressive or even better than MJ's imo. 3 different franchises and coaches, did it twice as the villain in Miami, did it as a hero in Cleveland, and went to LA and told Magic he'd get them a chip and fucking did.

I totally agree with the 1a 1b answer.

Yeah winning on 3 different teams (as the essential piece - FMVP) I think is actually less likely to be accomplished again than 6 for 6. I'm not sure you can say one accomplishment is better than the other. They're both impressive in different ways.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who has been fortunate enough to watch both play for the majority of their careers it ultimately comes down to absolute peak (still think Jordan wins that) vs. most valuable career (i.e. the Ben Taylor criteria which LeBron wins). just depends on what you value. everything else is just catnip for the first take and video game forum crowd.

It is a different style in basketball. Jordan had to contend with all time greats going at his throat week after week. For that you need a special kind of magic and arrogance.

LeBron on the other hand has had to contend with match after match after match of mediocre opponents who don't really care about that match they are playing in. In that environment lesser players like Davis fall asleep most of the time, so you need someone dedicated to pumping up their stats to achieve arbitrary landmarks.

So both are great in their own way *

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Stack the deck and lose a finals to the inferior Mavs by playing the worst stretch of basketball the entire season is sheepish.
I see. And how would you classify him beating the best team the league had ever seen, that broke the single-season win record, and doing it after falling down 3-1 and posting this stat line?

VyWUjE9.png

h05DU4s.png

Don't worry, Skip, I'll wait.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
It is a different style in basketball. Jordan had to contend with all time greats going at his throat week after week. For that you need a special kind of magic and arrogance.

LeBron on the other hand has had to contend with match after match after match of mediocre opponents who don't really care about that match they are playing in. In that environment lesser players like Davis fall asleep most of the time, so you need someone dedicated to pumping up their stats to achieve arbitrary landmarks.

So both are great in their own way *
all basketball historians would certainly agree that the mid to late 90's were the apex of NBA basketball

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing Lebron James can do to change peoples' opinions on this topic. It is impossible to overcome Micheal Jordans's influence and legacy. Lebron is objectively the greatest player of all time but he's had far more haters than any other player in the league. Too many old MJ fans that can't accept another player being better than their beloved icon.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I think this is the most reasonable way to look at it. Nobody will probably ever match MJ's peak run of 6 Finals in 8 years,6 titles and 6 Finals MVPs, and really, you never ever thought they would lose in that span. Russell is the only guy in that conversation and the league was so different back then.

The case for LeBron is probably in terms of length of peak. What he just did in his 17th year is incredible, and just as unlikely that we'll see something like that again in the NBA (3 teams, 10 finals, 4 titles, 4 FMVPs). There are guys in the conversation (Kareem, Magic) in terms of comprehensive career as well.

Frankly, at this point, 17 years and 4 MVPs in, anybody who is still hung up on whether or not he's better than Jordan is stupid.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah winning on 3 different teams (as the essential piece - FMVP) I think is actually less likely to be accomplished again than 6 for 6. I'm not sure you can say one accomplishment is better than the other. They're both impressive in different ways.
Kawhi is only 29 I'd say he has a decent shot at it

I don't know anyone in the NBA on pace to go 6 for 6 though

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Simmons' Mt. GOATmore actually makes a lot of sense. Russell, Kareem, Jordan and LeBron are on there, but trying to compare across eras is just too difficult.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The handchecking ban is a gamechanger. It's the main reason point guards can dominate games now and score the way they do. Not just talking about LeBron here, but the Steph's, Lillard's, Harden's, and Kyrie's of the world. It gives ball handlers the space needed to be unguardable 1 on 1.

Nobody guards those players 1-on-1 in today's NBA. That's my entire point. Yeah you'll see 1-on-1 matchups with ball handlers at the top of the key or the wings or whatnot as the offensive action moves but the moment the ball gets anywhere near the basket good defenses are generally ready to swarm the ball handler and force difficult shots or difficult passes, handchecking be damned, and they're able to do this because defenses can roam and shade towards wherever they need to (three-second rule notwithstanding, to be fair), preparing to double the ball or rotate to an otherwise open shooter or do whatever else they need to do to cut off the approach to the basket. And note that I'm not calling that a zone, because these defenses aren't zones. They're better than any zone.

These defenses have become so suffocating that offensive schemes have needed to adjust by centralizing all the action either under the basket (as that was and remains the most efficient shot in basketball) or around the three point line, where offensive sets can actually generate some space and even be rewarded for doing so because 3 > 2. And even still with those adjustments and the inherent advantage of "3 > 2" creating those shots continues to be exceptionally difficult for all but the most elite of offenses. Playing primarily iso ball is not effective in today's NBA and none of the players you listed, much less Lebron, generate their team's offense in that manner. No, not even Harden.

Offenses didn't have to worry about any of this in the 80s/90s. Defenders stayed with their man, double teaming was restricted to certain situations and thus predictable, and primary ball handlers had all the space they wanted to generate their own shot against their man so long as the rest of the team cleared out. You HAD to be physical on defense because what the hell else were you supposed to do to stop freaks like Jordan or Magic or Isiah or Clyde, etc.?

Again, none of this is to take anything away from Jordan who thrived in this era and no doubt would thrive in today's era, but he most certainly did NOT play in a tougher defensive environment than Lebron did. That notion is absolutely far and away from the truth.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
This is the right idea. Kobe is still my guy. 5 hard earned chips.
giphy.gif

Just missing Shaq and TD in the 2000s.

The thing about this debate... Is hearing the NBA players that actually played against all 3, in MJ, Kobe & LeBron will put them in that very order. #1 MJ, #2 Kobe, & #3 is Lebron. (Just ranking the three)

I got Mike at #1. Bron wears #23 for a reason y'all. I go back and forth myself between Bean and Bron. Kobe the toughest shot maker probably ever. Straight certified killer. And Bron Bron is just special.

All that's missing in Bron's resume is that three-peat. He has a chance with this team and AD. Magic & Pat Riley said it's one of the hardest things to do in professional basketball.

He's been absolutely incredible since coming to the League at the age of 18. Not one scandal off the court and has lived up to all expectations. And he's still at the top of the game and he's not finished.

Does he play on stacked teams, yeah he does. But that's the way the league is now. Shit... Shaq was joking about his free agency on how the League is now, "If I knew it was allowed I would have joined Mike." - Imagine adding Shaq to that 72-10 Bulls squad. Madness.

I don't fault LeBron for going to Miami, Boston & Detroit was squaded up. And Chicago at the time was on the come up. He took Cleveland as far as they could currently go at the time. I do criticize him for going back to Cleveland after Miami, but I understand it. Going back to Dan Gilbert after all that shit he said, he did it for the fanbase, his Legacy and city of Akron.

So for the moment I got in my top 10
- Mike, Kareem, Kobe, LeBron & Magic
- Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Russell, & Wilt
- Bill Russell is in a tier of his own btw. Greatest winner ever in all of team sports. Has an extra ring for his toe if he wanted to.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Before today I wasn't sure about LeBron's talent level, but now that he beat the 5th seed in the East, it's clear.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying someone's "weak mentally" after coming back from 3-1 down in the Finals to a 73-win team.

How are Kyrie and Kevin Love doing now, y'all?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If that was at play, how has Lebron become a consensus top 2-3 player all time, surpassing the likes of Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Kobe, etc?
What are you talking about?

I see plenty of people say all of those people say those players are better than Bron.

The problem with goat arguments is when you act like they are objective. Which Jordan stans have perfected while saying things like, "it will always be Jordan." Lol.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I am legit curious as to how MJ would have dealt with being in a bubble for 4 months though. He might have literally murdered Scott Burrell.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about?

I see plenty of people say all of those people say those players are better than Bron.

The problem with goat arguments is when you act like they are objective. Which Jordan stans have perfected while saying things like, "it will always be Jordan." Lol.

If nostalgia keeps new from replacing old, there would be no movement for Lebron into the top 2-3. But here he is, a consensus arguement for top 2-3 all time, surpassing the likes of Kareem, Bird, and Magic, with a buuuuunch of you claiming he is the GOAT.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know why so much of this is predicated on Finals performance, anyway. It's a much better indicator for an individual to look at efficiency and defense. Jordan was a MONSTER defender, an area he deserves every accolade for, but LeBron is also elite in this area. On offense, LeBron has a higher eFG percentage, higher rebounding rate, and higher assist rate.

Mind you I STILL think the answer is Jordan, but some of the people in this thread claiming LeBron isn't top five? What a joke.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't really know why so much of this is predicted on Finals performance, anyway. It's a much better indicator for an individual to look at efficiency and defense. Jordan was a MONSTER defender, an area he deserves every accolade for, but LeBron is also elite in this area. On offense, LeBron has a higher eFG percentage, higher rebounding rate, and higher assist rate.
Because it fits a narrative.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
yeah this is it. my personal preference is valuable career. lebron was the most dominant player on a championship team in his 17th nba season. that has not been beaten

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If nostalgia keeps new from replacing old, there would be no movement for Lebron into the top 2-3. But here he is, a consensus arguement for top 2-3 all time, surpassing the likes of Kareem, Bird, and Magic, with a buuuuunch of you claiming he is the GOAT.
LeBron is as special of player as Jordan is.

If that bothers you I'm not sure what to tell you.

You're free to disagree and argue otherwise.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Jordan but there is no denying. The only people that would vote Lebron just weren't there.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Jordan is the sacred cow. None of those other guys are revered like Jordan is, so they're acceptable fodder in these conversations.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Mla7906.png

Casual numbers on the way to beating the then greatest team ever assembled. And that was 4 years ago.

I didn't check this series but I'll do so now: LeBron lead all players on either team in the 2020 NBA Finals in Points and Rebounds, was 2nd in Assists (Butler) and Steals (Butler), 3rd in blocks (AD, and barely behind Bam).

Oh, and he shot 39% from 3 and 58% from the field overall. Finna turn 36, btw.

Jimmy "biggest nemesis LeBron has ever seen" Buckets was out there gassed, looking like he was 5 years older than LeBron instead of 5 years younger. Meanwhile, LeBron don't fuckin get tired apparently. 40 in the previous game? Coulda had 40 tonight too if he wanted to press matters.

I hated Jordan but there is no denying. The only people that would vote Lebron just weren't there.
I was there. I grew up on the Bad Boy Pistons and became a huge MJ fan after he came back. LeBron is just generally a better player.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I am legit curious as to how MJ would have dealt with being in a bubble for 4 months though. He might have literally murdered Scott Burrell.
He would have cut ties with his family and friends so he didn't have anyone to miss while in the bubble
Mla7906.png

Casual numbers on the way to beating the then greatest team ever assembled. And that was 4 years ago.

I didn't check this series but I'll do so now: LeBron lead all players on either team in the 2020 NBA Finals in Points and Rebounds, was 2nd in Assists (Butler) and Steals (Butler), 3rd in blocks (AD, and barely behind Bam).

Oh, and he shot 39% from 3 and 58% from the field overall. Finna turn 36, btw.

Jimmy "biggest nemesis LeBron has ever seen" Buckets was out there gassed, looking like he was 5 years older than LeBron instead of 5 years younger. Meanwhile, LeBron don't fuckin get tired apparently. 40 in the previous game? Coulda had 40 tonight too if he wanted to press matters.

I was there. LeBron is just generally a better player.
Jimmy should have simply just passed to the other top 5 player on his team so he wouldn't get tired

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He would have cut ties with his family and friends so he didn't have anyone to miss while in the bubble

Jimmy should have simply just passed to the other top 5 player on his team so he wouldn't get tired
I get your joke, but LeBron might literally be the greatest conditioned player in the history of basketball. He just...never gets tired. Ever.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I give the edge to Jordan still, but it's closer to a 1a and 1b sort of thing now. However, a couple more years of sustained excellence (another title or two, and perhaps an MVP) and I think LeBron can overtake Jordan. Ending his NBA career as the #1 all-time in points would be huge too.

LeBron still has a couple less championship rings and MVP awards than Jordan, and I think he has to close the gap in one or both of those to look better in the eyes of the majority. LeBron also has some black marks on his finals history that I think he needs to make up for (2011, for instance); however, I give him a pass for some of the finals losses because with context it's amazing that he even had some of those teams in a position to compete for a championship.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Jordan easily those who say lebron are twelve. But lebron still is fantastic player and one of best all time.