• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think they're saying report the people who are using it in this thread against Lebron, not speaking on the phrase in general.

Two too many.

My mistake in phrasing, I meant report the "shut up and dribble " comments ,as they don't serve any purpose but to troll , derail, and juuust skirt enough around actual racist rhetoric

I did misread it but thanks for the clarification.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It is far more likely, and even evident I'd say, that the phrase is being used sardonically in this thread to highlight hypocrisy rather than a serious sign of solidarity with the Fox news sentiment.

Okay but why? It's not an epic own, it's making black people in this thread uncomfortable. I'm Jewish, if a prominent Jewish celebrity sided with China for their own financial benefit, I wouldn't be happy if people started repeating antisemitic talking points about Jews being greedy "sardonically." There just isn't a need for it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I legit really liked LeBron before this. Yeah, he's arrogant, and yeah, "THE DECISION" was insanely stupid, but he's done a lot of good for his community and seems overall pretty nice.

This is pretty freaking dense, though. I don't think he's dumb by any means, I just think he's got the same money-goggles on that many people do once they come into a position of power/fame/fortune. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I'm appreciating all the people online and in Hong Kong that are lambasting him.

Mar 3, 2019
I legit really liked LeBron before this. Yeah, he's arrogant, and yeah, "THE DECISION" was insanely stupid, but he's done a lot of good for his community and seems overall pretty nice.

This is pretty freaking dense, though. I don't think he's dumb by any means, I just think he's got the same money-goggles on that many people do once they come into a position of power/fame/fortune. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I'm appreciating all the people online and in Hong Kong that are lambasting him.

Hes clearly trying to become a mogul, and money is an all consuming thing once you get enough of it. He has done charitable work but I now put him in the category of the ultra wealthy that are intent on maximising their profits over any sort of morality, aka the 1 percent.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
This is outrageous. LeStans gonna Stan though, got their shineboxes out ready to vigorously scrub away at every new development that only makes him look like and even bigger jackass.
Fanaticism is a scary thing. It's the reason why Trump can continue getting away with what he does and still have people fervently support him.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Imagine calling the GM of the most popular NBA team in China uninformed about China. The sheer stupidity of that alone should have stopped him from going that route, but nope.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth getting up in arms about because Sports Media is always gonna Sports Media but Stephen A chewing up the scene with race and whataboutisms isn't really surprising but Max doing the hard backpedal and saying he doesn't think Lebron is a sellout even though just yesterday he said Lebron sold out.

Oct 27, 2017
Shannon, one of the biggest Lebron stans out there, even spoke against him

Ever since undisputed came on i've liked Shannon with the sole exception of when he goes into Super Saipan Stan mode for LeBron. And while I agree with him and most people that there shouldn't be a desire to try to systematically tear down whatever good LeBron has done up to this point, hearing him keep referring to this as a misstep is being far too charitable.

His initial comments were a misstep. Him doubling down on it with the tweets was ill advised. Tripling down on it at practice yesterday just makes the whole thing a massive blunder that makes him a sellout or at the absolute least puts him very very close to being one.

Even more so for someone who gets lauded for the way he handles the media and how much he looks to curate his image.

I don't think even the biggest of LeBron fans would have anticipated him tripling down the way he has.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
man, I love Shannon Sharpe lol

but if you wanna check out the real clown show (gets good at 4:45):

this man only gives a singular fuck about his possible partnership with tencent, imo Morey should be awarded for saving china from stephen a smith

Oct 29, 2017
Good on Lebron for getting to the heart of the issue. After all, what if one of the organ harvesters saw Morey's tweet and decided not to take his family to see Space Jam?

Oct 28, 2017
man, I love Shannon Sharpe lol

but if you wanna check out the real clown show (gets good at 4:45):

this man only gives a singular fuck about his possible partnership with tencent, imo Morey should be awarded for saving china from stephen a smith

I love how every single media person defending Lebron has financial stakes in China. Hope John Oliver keeps calling this dumb dumb out.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Lebron for getting to the heart of the issue. After all, what if one of the organ harvesters saw Morey's tweet and decided not to take his family to see Space Jam?
source.gif

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how this works out for LeBron. His long term actions will probably depend on what effect it has on his money, since I doubt he cares too much about his public perception outside of that.

They're happy someone had a worse take than Harden did
Harden outright said he loves China, so he's pretty up there himself.

Imagine calling the GM of the most popular NBA team in China uninformed about China. The sheer stupidity of that alone should have stopped him from going that route, but nope.
I would imagine he's more informed than LeBron, but the Rockets being popular in China doesn't really tell us much about how informed Morey is.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
We'll see how this works out for LeBron. His long term actions will probably depend on what effect it has on his money, since I doubt he cares too much about his public perception outside of that.

Harden outright said he loves China, so he's pretty up there himself.

I would imagine he's more informed than LeBron, but the Rockets being popular in China doesn't really tell us much about how informed Morey is.
The fact that he travels there a ton and is considered to be one of the smartest people in the NBA leads me to believe Lebrons statement about him was misinformed and uneducated.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Selling out is all too easy when there are conflicts of interest abound. Its a problem of power and access. Corruption is easily created this way

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
People quoting that tweet without reading the whole article highlight why you can't have real conversations about anything. People just trying to get their dunk on instead of talk about the issue. Lebron is wrong in this situation as a whole but those tweets ignore some pretty damn crucial context given in the very same fucking article. Like come on people.

Silver coming to these dudes and telling them they need to speak on the issue to defend the image of the league is fucking horseshit. He himself hadn't even addressed the Chinese media yet. Lebron is right, why should this fall on the players now to make sure they don't fuck up and say something even more damaging on an issue they obviously have little understanding of? Morey has every right to make that tweet but why the fuck should the players need to suffer the firestorm for the good of the league here?

I don't understand how people don't see Lebron's point. And he is right, a player couldn't get away with this shit without serious repercussions. If they are now being expected by the commissioner to salvage this shit, they can ask what is being done with Morey. That's not off limits given the situation at hand.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Ever since undisputed came on i've liked Shannon with the sole exception of when he goes into Super Saipan Stan mode for LeBron. And while I agree with him and most people that there shouldn't be a desire to try to systematically tear down whatever good LeBron has done up to this point, hearing him keep referring to this as a misstep is being far too charitable.
The problem is, people WILL think twice about LeBron intention on his Charity/Social Justice stance. You see, he is doing it ONLY because it is good to promote his brand. Now when the money is on the line, he folded.

Not everybody will think this way, but definitely some will start viewing him so.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Wish you all could understand Chinese and read comments from Hong Kong's local forum. The attack on James mind-boggling, I mean it's one thing to dislike or disagree with a person's political stand, it's a whole new level to make racism insults on an entire race. I'm not just making a scene out of a few posts. There were an awful lot ugly curses (thankfully some people come to their minds and call for stops) that make me vomit.

I'm sympathetics to the protest in general but sometimes I have to wonder is it really freedom or democratic they are fighting for? And the hypocritical shows all these politicians have put on(where are you when people form Ecuador or Haiti or Catalonia are oppressed?) doesn't help too. Easy for them to just throw a tween and be couch fighter without ever see or talk or investigate on matters. Guess it serves the crowds and medias today. Make a stance that satisfy majority's appetite is far more important than actual logical analysis. James is not wrong on staying away from the political issues he's not familiar or involved with. He's smart and won't be a tool for certain politicians

Is this what you were referring to?

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 Weeks): Racist generalizations.
Not surprised Asian people are racist as fuck against non-whites. Shit is disgusting.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't like that the tweet is calling out Morey specifically. This isn't representative of HK or what he was trying to shed light on.

But it turns out some pretty bad things are indeed being said and that poster wasn't just making stuff up. I want the best for them either way but you hate to see it.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Is this what you were referring to?

While I don't doubt there are some extremely shitty people also involved with the protests as that image highlights, it's pretty clear that the account bringing it up has an obvious agenda against the protesters. If anyone knows what it's like for someone to try and take the bad actions of a small group of people and use it to try and taint a whole movement it's us black people.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm pretty disappointed. He seems to be more concerned about the welfare of his paycheck than people's freedoms. Or maybe I'm not understanding what he said in the video.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
I'm pretty disappointed. He seems to be more concerned about the welfare of his paycheck than people's freedoms. Or maybe I'm not understanding what he said in the video.
You don't have to read between his lines when he brought up people were hurt financially, first and foremost.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
While I don't doubt there are some extremely shitty people also involved with the protests as that image highlights, it's pretty clear that the account bringing it up has an obvious agenda against the protesters. If anyone knows what it's like for someone to try and take the bad actions of a small group of people and use it to try and taint a whole movement it's us black people.

The poster made claims so I was curious to see what some of them were saying and this was all I could find.

Already gave my two cents on the tweet.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised Asian people are racist as fuck against non-whites. Shit is disgusting.

This comment is just plain gross.

"Made a fair comment." Fuck off rando tweeter. Trying to disparage an entire group of people by pointing to the shitty actions of a few is so fucking disgusting. I wonder what the agenda could be here. Hmmmm

Took the words out of my mouth. Look at a random selection of comments and use it to paint everyone with the same brush. FOH